Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I'm going to skip out of work sometime to see it, probably next week if it's playing near my office.
    As everyone said,, high end theater go for 3D - It's well done.

Pack in lots of food 2.5 hours + its a long sucker
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Anyone going to see Blade Runner 2049?

I really enjoyed this movie, more than I expected given the track record of modern sci if reboots/sequels. It hit all the right buttons for me with its dark, apocalicious, brooding atmosphere and ambiguous, creepy characters. I wouldn't call it perfect and it's not everyone's thing, but I definitely recommend it. We saw it at the cinerama which is a great theater. If you like this and are interested in something even more character driven, watch Ex Machina which I thought was very memorable.

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    Also, if you have not delved into any of Denis Villeneuve's previous films, I highly recommend:
    Enemy
    Maelstrom
    Incendies
    What? No love for Sicario? That's his best film! That's one of the best films I've seen in the last ten years.

Visually and auditory stunning, definitely explored more of the original books themes of what it means to be human. left wanting more though
    Education must be the answer, we've tried ignorance and it doesn't work!

Quote Originally Posted by Rip'nStick View Post
    Visually and auditory stunning, definitely explored more of the original books themes of what it means to be human. left wanting more though
    The movie was almost a commercial for the next sequel. Many things left open - there is a war coming
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

9/10 like my skiing

Greatly exceeded expectations. The deckard scenes could have been less frequent/painful
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Here's the prequel shorts, if anyone is interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    We saw it at the cinerama which is a great theater.
    Awesome theater, we saw Final Cut there in 2007.

Holy shit that was awesome! I enjoyed every second of that movie. The sound was HEAVY. I want to see it again in an imax

Damn. So you know when they say in every group of people there's an asshole? And, if you don't think that's the case - that there isn't one... then that person is probably you. Well, everyone has posted that they loved this film. Not me. Hated it. Thought it was an hour too long, plot wandered all over the place, too loud.

I watched the original the night before. Absolutely loved it, probably the 20th time I'd seen it.

Guess I need to re-watch 2049 ... fuck.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Finally saw it and I thought it was quite good though I agree with Gary that the soundtrack was sometimes a bit abrasive. Several times I found myself wishing they'd tried do something with Vangelis again. I'll have to digest it for awhile and see it another time before I have a firm opinion on the film. I disagree with Gary that the "plot wandered all over the place." I'd say it was a sparse plot and it feels even thinner because it's paced slowly. Villenueve made a film that prioritized art direction over action (just like the original). It's quite the feast for the eyes. Given that Sicario is such a taut, engrossing film, I was a little surprised that BR2049 moves at a languid pace. This is like 3 parts Arrival and 1 part Sicario. I dunno, maybe what's really missing is Rutger Hauer's absolutely inspired performance as the dying Roy Batty going out of his mind with grief, despair and frustration. K is a different breed of replicant. He lacks the things that were great about Roy (i.e. the barely contained raw emotions that made Roy so entirely human.)

I'd certainly like to see a third film directed by either Scott or Villenueve. Given that the release of this one is turning into a financial failure, it seems doubtful that Scott will be given another $150M and carte blanche. All the fans rushed out to see it and then it had no legs; the film totally stopped making money after the first week. It still hasn't recouped its budget. I saw it Idaho Falls yesterday and there was only one other person in the theater. What a shame. Just more proof that the average American will choose a free corn dog over a free ticket to the art museum.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 01-07-2018 at 11:40 AM.

Finally made the time to visit the city to catch this on the big screen. I felt it did homage to the original reasonably well. As mentioned the scenery, and mood set by the soundtrack, was fantastic. Definitely enjoyed the effect the sound system in the theatre was able to provide. As for the plot, I would have enjoyed filling out more of the backstory closer to the timeline of the original, but that ship has sailed I think. All in all my quinquennial+ return to the partaking of the big theatre screen was enjoyed.

disappointed... the effort to match the pace of the original was painful.

I was editing on the fly about halfway through.

Only the sound track saved it.
    ​I am not in your hurry

I haven’t seen the original, but I actually liked it. I thought the pacing was slow but not painfully slow. Soundtrack and sound editing in general was really good.

Finally saw it yesterday. Wish I hadn't waited so long as I would totally dig seeing it again, but alas it's leaving the theaters tomorrow (at least in my area).
    I prepped by watching both The Director's Cut and The Final Cut of the original (highly recommend the latter if you have never seen that version).
    I thought the new film carried on the dystopian look that Scott and crew created for the original nicely (but then I wasn't worried about that as Villeneuve did dystopian rather well in his little-seen film Enemy).
    I thought the new score was great, taking Vangelis' original and making it more grating and mechanical.
    I rather enjoyed the whole Pinocchio mythos sub-text and how the hero realizes that the real world is actually more artificial than he is.
    There were a coupla twists that were really nice and the film unraveled way differently than the trailers led one to believe, which was a nice bait & switch, imho.

I'd give it 4/5

A few quick takeaways:
    1. man, there was an awful lot of crying in the film.
    2. while i really enjoyed the film, in the end I felt that it was an uneccessary sequel; there really wasn't a need (at least to me) to put closure on what happened to Dekard and Rachel, the ambiguity of the original is what made it so great (heck, ambiguous and morose endings are what made a lot of '70s and early '80s American cinema so great).
    3. It works nicely as a stand-alone film, which is cool (i.e. one isn't totally required to have seen the original, imho).
    4. The Rachel sequence was just as horrible as the CG Princess Leia and Grand Moff Tarkin scenes in Rogue One. Hollywood, just stop with that shit now.
    5. While I was mostly mesmerized for the entire 2:45 running time, it could have very easily been edited by a good 15-minutes without suffering much damage to the story.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

That movie could have been six hours and I would still ask for more. Outstanding!

Hollyweird had some high hopes for 2019 in the original.
    Yes I'm watching it now for the first time.

Pure perfection! Erase my memory and let me watch it again for the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by laurapalmer View Post
    Pure perfection! Erase my memory and let me watch it again for the first time.
    Yep.

Finally saw it, very, very good.

Not surprised that people complained about it being too loud. Never had my audio system (which is set up and levels matched to otherwise perfection) make the whole house vibrate like that... even my deaf dog was perturbed until I turned down the subs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Yep.

Finally saw it, very, very good.

Not surprised that people complained about it being too loud. Never had my audio system (which is set up and levels matched to otherwise perfection) make the whole house vibrate like that... even my deaf dog was perturbed until I turned down the subs.
    Unfortunately, several events prevented me from seeing this in my local theater and it was replaced after week #2. At that point I would have had to drive over an hour to watch it and I just didn't have enough time to do that.
    That said I bought it on Blue Ray today. I liked it a lot. For a slow paced movie, it was very intense. The pacing and soundtrack are a perfect fit. For me the slow pace allowed me to fully absorb the scenes and what they meant before jumping into the next twist of philosophizing about humanity. A very worthy world expanding followup to the original.
    I wonder if "K" will somehow be back for the next installment?
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

watching it tonight
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

Quote Originally Posted by willywhit View Post
    watching it tonight
    delivered !
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.