Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Saw it. Expectations were pretty high, and damn, they were met. That was a great movie. Requires a big screen, and maybe even more, a big sound system. The audio is fucking heavy.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I can't wait to see this. Might go Wednesday.

Should I do 3d Imax and all that? Sometimes that's overload.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Question for those who have seen it: do I need to see the original for it to make sense? I saw the original decades ago and remember nothing (so I might as well not have seen it for purposes of seeing this one).
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Question for those who have seen it: do I need to see the original for it to make sense? I saw the original decades ago and remember nothing (so I might as well not have seen it for purposes of seeing this one).
    Nah, you'll be fine. Talked to a girl that saw 2049 having not seen the first one. She still liked it a lot.

Of course, the original is awesome, so it couldn't hurt to take the time to brush up.

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Drinker View Post
    I can't wait to see this. Might go Wednesday.

Should I do 3d Imax and all that? Sometimes that's overload.
    According to the director, the standard 2D version is his favorite. I'd agree with the overload part. There's enough to take in without having to keep your head on a swivel and bother with 3D glasses. That might be fun for a second go around, but I would just watch the regular version for the first viewing.

Went and saw 2D version last night. Still not sure what to think about it. Visuals were wild. I think Leto's character lost a bit of connection w/audience due to opaque contacts. Just me?

Somewhat related, a hilarious interview with Gosling/Ford in London, people start switching from coffee to nips: http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news...rview-13721680
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Nah, you'll be fine. Talked to a girl that saw 2049 having not seen the first one. She still liked it a lot.

Of course, the original is awesome, so it couldn't hurt to take the time to brush up.

Agree with Toast, however freshening up by watching final cut will provide you with additional context that might add to your overall experience.

Took the lady on a date to see it yesterday. Amazeballs!
    She loved it, and she's not a big scifi fan.
    There is so much to take in, we are both looking forward to seeing it again just to catch the details we missed the first time.
    We also saw Final Cut at the theater when that came out.

I loved it. Leto was a weak link. Both the character and the acting were less interesting than everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    I loved it. Leto was a weak link. Both the character and the acting were less interesting than everyone else.
    ****SPOILERS****

Agree that Leto was the weak link, although I saw a post that made Leto's character more interesting.

In the original Bladerunner, the replicants were trying to infiltrate Tyrell corporation. The theory is that Leto's character is a replicant that succeeded in infiltrating Tyrell, and has since taken over. This would explain 1) why his eyes are fucked up (self imposed, so as to avoid getting caught through the eye test thing they do on replicants), and 2) his desire to build replicants that can reproduce (so replicants take over the world).

Anyways, one of the things I like best about 2049 and the original movie is how ambiguous they are.

/nerd

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    ****SPOILERS****

Agree that Leto was the weak link, although I saw a post that made Leto's character more interesting.

In the original Bladerunner, the replicants were trying to infiltrate Tyrell corporation. The theory is that Leto's character is a replicant that succeeded in infiltrating Tyrell, and has since taken over. This would explain 1) why his eyes are fucked up (self imposed, so as to avoid getting caught through the eye test thing they do on replicants), and 2) his desire to build replicants that can reproduce (so replicants take over the world).

Anyways, one of the things I like best about 2049 and the original movie is how ambiguous they are.

/nerd
    Right there with you.

Imax 3D or bust.
    I'll go so high that I won't remember a thing anyways. Plenty of time to watch it in 2D going forward
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Does Han Solo die in this one?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Does Han Solo die in this one?
    Hahaha I've been asking that question all week

So yer sayin' yer pre-loading?

Pretty good, saw it last night.

To reiterate what has already been said...If you have any intention of seeing this movie GO TO THE THEATER and make sure it's one with a large screen and baller soundsystem like RPX. 2/3rds the movie is the sights and sounds and that makes it well worth going. I saw it in 2D and it's great, I'm sure 3D is cool but I didn't feel like I missed out on anything.

Now I know most of us dentists here have a home theater with a $100,000 MBL soundsystem so that could work, but whatever you do don't waste waiting for this to stream to watch it on your 65" with mediocre soundbar.

I have yet to see BR 2049.
    However, I fired up the LaserDisc player the other night and watched "The Director's Cut" for the first time (it was one of the 25 discs included with the player when I bought it off a roommate 10-odd years ago). Granted, Scott didn't have much to do with this cut, it was still interesting to watch as I'd only ever seen the original U.S. Theatrical Cut, way back when it was first released in theaters.
    I was amazed at how it holds up, both visually and story-telling-wise (unless it's just some nostalgic brainwashing on my part).

I found this article, which pretty much recommends "The Final Cut" (and then teases us with the elusive "White Dragon Cut") as the version to watch.

http://www.vulture.com/2017/09/which...-watching.html

Also, if you have not delved into any of Denis Villeneuve's previous films, I highly recommend:
    Enemy
    Maelstrom
    Incendies
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

want to see it so bad but daaaamn it only plays around here at 4:30pm or 8pm- too early and too late for me during the school wk.
    and pls for the love of god no more spoilers. I almost saw a spoiler in the activity feed the other day
    skid luxury

the book is way better
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    the book is way better
    The original Philip K. Dick novel?

Interestingly, I thought that 2049 related more to the book that the original release.

Quote Originally Posted by ACH View Post
    The original Philip K. Dick novel?

Interestingly, I thought that 2049 related more to the book that the original release.
    The original movie boring as hell. Def not dicks best book either : I like "we can build you "
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    want to see it so bad but daaaamn it only plays around here at 4:30pm or 8pm- too early and too late for me during the school wk.
    8pm too late for a movie?

Live a little.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    and pls for the love of god no more spoilers. I almost saw a spoiler in the activity feed the other day
    Do you wake up at 5am or something?
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

Do you wake up at 5am or something?
    yea i work east coast hours out west so early starts. I see lots of good sunrises tho!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    skid luxury

I saw it this evening in 3D Technically an awesome Sifi movie.

Still trying to decide if I really liked it or just liked the special effects.

After everyone has seen it I guess we can discuss in detail
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

I'm going to skip out of work sometime to see it, probably next week if it's playing near my office.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy