Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

PSA: Colorado BC route guide book

Looky who has a new guide book for Colorado!!!!

https://14erskiers.com/blog/2017/10/...der-guidebook/

Mtbikerskierchic and goldenboy have been mags for a LONG time and are certainly two that get after it. This is no doubt a rad book for the backcountry skier in Colorado.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Obviously without reading it, great PSA, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Whoa looks sweet, will be ordering it!

Also, 20% off for pre-orders. Thanks for the heads up.

Good looking out, pre-ordered.

Cool. Heard about this a while ago. Ordered.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Thanks Montanaskier! We hope it's a cool book that people like. We tried to run the gamut and share some routes that aren't just the trade routes...

PS- If anyone was having trouble with the link, it should be fixed now. And if you're thinking about using Bluehost for web hosting- don't. They suck!

PSA: Colorado BC route guide book

Awesome - congrats! Will be ordering!

I'm holding out for Dawson's in bounds skinning guide.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Stoked...ordered a copy.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    I'm holding out for Dawson's in bounds skinning guide.
    Well he did do a book for beginners this year, so there's that.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Thanks Montanaskier! We hope it's a cool book that people like. We tried to run the gamut and share some routes that aren't just the trade routes...

PS- If anyone was having trouble with the link, it should be fixed now. And if you're thinking about using Bluehost for web hosting- don't. They suck!
    Since we obviously can't preview, how much do you discuss potential avy hazard with the lines? And about what % are typically "safe" areas (i.e. < 30-35 degrees). I know it's my responsibility to assess any risk but most of these zones are a little further drive for me (which is good, I need to spread my wings) but taking a long drive to a new area on a big powder day only to find it unsafe would kinda suck.

Quote Originally Posted by GPP33 View Post
    Since we obviously can't preview, how much do you discuss potential avy hazard with the lines? And about what % are typically "safe" areas (i.e. < 30-35 degrees). I know it's my responsibility to assess any risk but most of these zones are a little further drive for me (which is good, I need to spread my wings) but taking a long drive to a new area on a big powder day only to find it unsafe would kinda suck.
    Thats kinda not how it work, as I think you know. Sure there are tours and routes with differing risk profiles however the absolute level of safety is dynamic. I guide book author can't come anywhere close to green lighting a run for you.

Ask yourself what information you need to make a go/no go decision and then consider how many of those data points can be ascertained from a guidebook?

Oh yeah...I'll buy the book

Quote Originally Posted by GPP33 View Post
    We tried to cover a wide spectrum, so there are a few very safe and simple routes in the book (5%?). I'm talking routes that you would storm ski. Maybe another 30% of the book is winter routes that are generally safe mid winter if you're experienced, careful, and smart about it. That said, our favorite lines tend to be steeper, so the book does skew towards lines that are best left until springtime (i.e. the other 65%). That's just a best guess off the top of my head, not having a book in front of me to flip through. There is also a lot of nudge, nudge, wink, wink extra credit commentary in the book. (Example: We have Red Lady bowl outside CB in the book. It gets skied all winter long, but it isn't exactly "safe". But we mention the Red Lady glades that are right next to it and regularly get skied safely in dicey conditions). But it's a brief mention, not a whole route description...

As for calling out avy hazard, we generally stayed away from talking too much about that. At the end of the day, there is always hazard, so trying to call out every hazard seemed like a tall task. On the other hand, if a route has a hazard that seems to be typically problematic, we point it out. (Example: Trelease- it's fairly safe if you don't go too high, but people tend to go too high and expose themselves to the wind loaded alpine above them. So we did point out not to go too high).

If you want to wait, it should be in bookstores in mid November, and we'll be doing a book tour in conjunction with that, so you could flip through the book and see what you think. We'll update this thread with book tour dates around the state

Well he did do a book for beginners this year, so there's that.
    It was a joke, about something I found funny, but apparently Lou does not:

"...I have a book in the works that covers a curated selection of both backcountry and resort uphill routes. Each is moderate in terms of difficulty, as well as the backcountry routes having minimal avalanche danger.”
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    It was a joke, about something I found funny, but apparently Lou does not:

"...I have a book in the works that covers a curated selection of both backcountry and resort uphill routes. Each is moderate in terms of difficulty, as well as the backcountry routes having minimal avalanche danger.”
    Ha, that's awesome. I bet it does well, though. Lots of people really just want some exercise and fresh air without having to think about avalanches.

We tried to cover a wide spectrum, so there are a few very safe and simple routes in the book (5%?). I'm talking routes that you would storm ski. Maybe another 30% of the book is winter routes that are generally safe mid winter if you're experienced, careful, and smart about it. That said, our favorite lines tend to be steeper, so the book does skew towards lines that are best left until springtime (i.e. the other 65%). That's just a best guess off the top of my head, not having a book in front of me to flip through. There is also a lot of nudge, nudge, wink, wink extra credit commentary in the book. (Example: We have Red Lady bowl outside CB in the book. It gets skied all winter long, but it isn't exactly "safe". But we mention the Red Lady glades that are right next to it and regularly get skied safely in dicey conditions). But it's a brief mention, not a whole route description...

As for calling out avy hazard, we generally stayed away from talking too much about that. At the end of the day, there is always hazard, so trying to call out every hazard seemed like a tall task. On the other hand, if a route has a hazard that seems to be typically problematic, we point it out. (Example: Trelease- it's fairly safe if you don't go too high, but people tend to go too high and expose themselves to the wind loaded alpine above them. So we did point out not to go too high).

If you want to wait, it should be in bookstores in mid November, and we'll be doing a book tour in conjunction with that, so you could flip through the book and see what you think. We'll update this thread with book tour dates around the state
    Thanks. That's kinda what I figured, pretty good % breakdown.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Thats kinda not how it work, as I think you know. Sure there are tours and routes with differing risk profiles however the absolute level of safety is dynamic. I guide book author can't come anywhere close to green lighting a run for you.

Ask yourself what information you need to make a go/no go decision and then consider how many of those data points can be ascertained from a guidebook?

Oh yeah...I'll buy the book
    You don't have places you avoid on storm days and others you happily ski regardless of avy conditions? Maybe some that have approaches that cross runout zones or have something bigger up above? A mandatory steep section on an otherwise mellow run? Risk assessment needs to be done with feet on the ground but there's certain places I won't even entertain going to if I know conditions are elevated. I'm not looking for a "these runs are ok an orange day and these runs are ok on a red day" but a general overall risk of the zone based on topography is helpful for making educated decisions. Google earth and topographic maps can get you most of the way there but first hand knowledge is what makes a guide book attractive.

Huh, just found out our book was The Mountaineers' highest selling book last week, which is pretty rad considering no one can get their hands on it yet. Thanks everyone!

Book tour! Can we be the opening act?

Wait. You actually want to sell books. Scratch that request.

Your tour dates should include backcountry tours of some of spots in the book. I'd certainly join one of those.

I don't really need another guide book and likely wouldn't use it, given how little bc I ski these days, but may buy it anyway to support you guys, because of all the great content you put out that I read for free.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Your tour dates should include backcountry tours of some of spots in the book. I'd certainly join one of those.
    I'm pretty sure the FS and/or guide services would kill us for that. Plus, I don't want to be on the line for any choices in the bc for anyone other than myself. People can make their own. But I think our book tour should be good. We'll try to do a route in each major range, but tie it in with a bigger picture topic. As in,

Route A- Front Range- avalanche safety
    Route B- San Juans- backcountry travel
    Route C- Elks- gear
    etc.

Danno- thanks man! We'll have the book on our website once it's out too. We'll make a little more $ that way

Silencer- I like it. You could play really loud, so everyone's ears are ringing by the time I talk so I won't have to worry about fumbling with any words, because nobody will be able to hear me

I'm pretty sure the FS and/or guide services would kill us for that. Plus, I don't want to be on the line for any choices in the bc for anyone other than myself. People can make their own. But I think our book tour should be good. We'll try to do a route in each major range, but tie it in with a bigger picture topic. As in,

Route A- Front Range- avalanche safety
    Route B- San Juans- backcountry travel
    Route C- Elks- gear
    etc.

Danno- thanks man! We'll have the book on our website once it's out too. We'll make a little more $ that way

Silencer- I like it. You could play really loud, so everyone's ears are ringing by the time I talk so I won't have to worry about fumbling with any words, because nobody will be able to hear me
    Shar and I will buy a copy but only because you're both dreamy and we want autographs? How about visiting either Revy or Whistler on the book tour?

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Shar and I will buy a copy but only because you're both dreamy and we want autographs? How about visiting either Revy or Whistler on the book tour?
    Thanks LL! We should have books on our website in a month or so, so you can get your autograph

I don't know if we'll make it up there this season given all the travel we'll be doing in CO for the book tour, but you never know. I definitely see us taking a few copies and doing a show wherever we go for the next couple of years. If nothing else, we can write those trips off

You can order the book off our website now! And if you have 8 minutes to kill, here's a video with a photo or 2 of all the routes: https://14erskiers.com/blog/2017/10/...utes-colorado/