Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: LGBTQIA....

LGBTQIA....

Does anyone else think this string of letters just seem to be getting absurdly long? I and A now? Lemme guess: I for intersex, and A for asexual? Maybe add an M for Metrosexual. And P for pansexual. How about W for just plain weird.

And what's this? So I'm straight. But now I'm labeled "cis-gender" by those who arent? Sounds almost like an insult. Been straight my whole life. Male gender....but now I'm "cis-gender". Etymology aside, the thing about prepending "cis" onto a word is that it makes it sound almost like an anomaly...a minority. And a minority it certainly is not. Nor, from a biological perspective, is it anywhere close to anomalic.

Another thing that seems a little disingenuous to me is the calling of a transgender man as "she" or a "woman", when they are certainly not either. They are still biologically male. "She" implies female. Female implies XX chromosomes. Period.
    They feel like a woman...fine. I have zero problem with that. But unfortunately, "feeling like a woman" doesn't make them a woman. It doesn't change their DNA. So perhaps we need a third appellation. Not she, not he...something else. It just seems wrong calling a he a she when he is not a she...and damn confusing.

Or maybe just forget about genderized words all together. Not "it", though. That would be bad. Maybe call everybody "te". .instead of he or she. And "ter" instead of him or her ....and "te's" instead of "his" or "her's". Go completely equality-oriented.

I don't think we are quite there as a society, though.

But can people just stop with the "cis-gender" at least?

And seriously, they're going to run out of letters for the ever-lengthening LGBTQIA thing.

That's all.

Cisgender bothers you. Does it make you feel like someone is calling you a roadie, or something?

Just FYI; cis gender doesn’t mean straight. It means you were born into the gender you identify with. And like many things, I just don’t have the bandwidth to worry about this.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    Cisgender bothers you. Does it make you feel like someone is calling you a roadie, or something?
    Meh....no.

Here's a new one: "Womyn born Womyn" Look it up in wikipedia. It says Womyn are females born female, who grew up their whole lives as female, and consider themselves female. Really? And I used to call them "women". How arrogant of me!

Transgener people will never truly "belong", no matter how inclusive and accepting people attempt to be.

With that in mind, I will try to refer to them with whatever pronoun they prefer.

As far as what they want to call me... cis gendered or whatever. I don't really care.

I know what it feels like to not belong. I know what it's like to not be worthy of love, so I guess I don't have a hard time finding empathy for people that will never fit into societies molds.

People who don't for societies molds.. LGBTQIA.. get way worse than "cis gendered" sounding like an insult.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Rover View Post
    Meh....no.

Here's a new one: "Womyn born Womyn" Really? And I used to call them "women". How arrogant of me!
    Just call 'em "bitches", like any real man would.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    Just call 'em "bitches", like any real man would.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Some do. Not those I associate with, but many do. Listen to some of the rap songs if you want to listen to woman-bashing.

My wife calls me a jackass. I accept it as a term of endearment and a sign that she still cares.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Does anyone else think this string of letters just seem to be getting absurdly long? I and A now? Lemme guess: I for intersex, and A for asexual? Maybe add an M for Metrosexual. And P for pansexual. How about W for just plain weird.

And what's this? So I'm straight. But now I'm labeled "cis-gender" by those who arent? Sounds almost like an insult. Been straight my whole life. Male gender....but now I'm "cis-gender". Etymology aside, the thing about prepending "cis" onto a word is that it makes it sound almost like an anomaly...a minority. And a minority it certainly is not. Nor, from a biological perspective, is it anywhere close to anomalic.

Another thing that seems a little disingenuous to me is the calling of a transgender man as "she" or a "woman", when they are certainly not either. They are still biologically male. "She" implies female. Female implies XX chromosomes. Period.
    They feel like a woman...fine. I have zero problem with that. But unfortunately, "feeling like a woman" doesn't make them a woman. It doesn't change their DNA. So perhaps we need a third appellation. Not she, not he...something else. It just seems wrong calling a he a she when he is not a she...and damn confusing.

Or maybe just forget about genderized words all together. Not "it", though. That would be bad. Maybe call everybody "te". .instead of he or she. And "ter" instead of him or her ....and "te's" instead of "his" or "her's". Go completely equality-oriented.

And seriously, they're going to run out of letters for the ever-lengthening LGBTQIA thing.

That's all.
    Who gives a shit.

How does this impact your life?

Give'em the whole dam alphabet if they want.

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    Transgener people will never truly "belong", no matter how inclusive and accepting people attempt to be.

With that in mind, I will try to refer to them with whatever pronoun they prefer.

As far as what they want to call me... cis gendered or whatever. I don't really care.

I know what it feels like to not belong. I know what it's like to not be worthy of love, so I guess I don't have a hard time finding empathy for people that will never fit into societies molds.

People who don't for societies molds.. LGBTQIA.. get way worse than "cis gendered" sounding like an insult.
    I know about not fitting in, and in fact I think diversity is a great thing in society. But I just don't think people need to broadcast their sexuality to all comers. I think of sexuality as a private thing. Sort of like the way religion SHOULD be...but of course, we all know religion tends to be anything but a private thing. Essentially, I think EVERYTHING personal should be a private thing..including who's one's favorite sports teams, etc...because broadcasting certain opinions always seems to cause strife.

One can't excise opinions out of discussions though, I get that. And discussion is one of the best vehicles for change, even though it may at times seem futile.

That's all.
    You might want to learn a bit about genetics and endocrinology before making any more of an ass of yourself.

There actually are people out there that are XXY, and a whole host of other combinations beside XX, XY. Not to mention there is more to gender then just chromosomes.

Don't like being cis-gender, then just refer to yourself as a dick, everybody will understand.

This labeling might seem unimportant to you, but there are other people in the world beside you to whom this is very important.

end rant

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    My wife calls me a jackass. I accept it as a term of endearment and a sign that she still cares.
    She's not using it as a name, she's identifying you as a noun.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    You might want to learn a bit about genetics and endocrinology before making any more of an ass of yourself.

There actually are people out there that are XXY, and a whole host of other combinations beside XX, XY. Not to mention there is more to gender then just chromosomes.

Don't like being cis-gender, then just refer to yourself as a dick, everybody will understand.

This labeling might seem unimportant to you, but there are other people in the world beside you to whom this is very important.

end rant
    I was speaking from a normative basis. Of course I know there are a host of chromosomal variants. And I understand the gender versus sex differential.

From a non-taxonomic standpoint, I actually think there is FAR too much labeling in the world already. Labels that aren't really needed. You can be whomever and whatever you want to be, but you don't need to broadcast it ad nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post

end rant
    So much this.
    "Typically euro, french in particular, in my opinion. It's the same skiing or climbing there. They are completely unfazed by their own assholeness. Like it's normal." - srsosbso

Stop whining.

I've wondered: are there gay or bi people who don't like the "T" in LGBT? I mean, some people are straight, some ladies like ladies, some guys like guys, and some of either like both...they're all different sides of the same 4-sided coin.

But transgendered is totally different than what sex an individual is attracted to (in my mind anyways).
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

They lost me at Q

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    I've wondered: are there gay or bi people who don't like the "T" in LGBT? I mean, some people are straight, some ladies like ladies, some guys like guys, and some of either like both...they're all different sides of the same 4-sided coin.

But transgendered is totally different than what sex an individual is attracted to (in my mind anyways).
    Yes, there are some in the LGB community who consider transgender as interlopers, I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by philippeR View Post
    So much this.
    If people would stop labeling themselves as gay, cis-gendered, black, white, French, etc. perhaps we'd all see each other as simply "people?"

Government and institutions encourage segregation, labeling and division. Fill out any government form or college application.

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    They lost me at Q
    Me too. I initially thought Q meant queer..but that didn't make much sense to me because queer means,...well...what the hell DOES queer mean? But now I come to find it means Questioning.

They need a second L for lumbersexual.

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    I've wondered: are there gay or bi people who don't like the "T" in LGBT?
    I'd bet so. Apparently, many in the lesbian community can't stand the T community. Heard more than one story of a tranny guy (pre-op) who identifies as a woman trying to pick up chicks at a lesbian bar. Many of us guys used to laugh about saying we're lesbians trapped in a man's body, but apparently that really does happen these days. Yeah, that doesn't exactly fly at The Cubbyhole. From what I hear, the lesbian community as a whole can be the most "transphobic" of all. I just know what Vox/Slate/HuffPo tells me though so don't take my word for it.

Spook and DBS are going to kill it in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

^^ its like that rush of air you feel before the subway comes. You know they're coming, you just don't know when exactly.

Or this may just be a cheap AK Rover tactic to expose the Silver Surfer alias.

I don't care...
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix