Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 325 of 554
  1. #301
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Motown
    Posts
    555
    "Climate change makes climbing and ski mountaineering more dangerous."

    https://youtu.be/O0qfDWpvD-s

  2. #302
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Moose, Iowa
    Posts
    5,840
    There is a crazy woman in Iowa City that runs around the streets shouting about stuff everyday. Pretty sure she is homeless or nearly so. My guess her carbon footprint is pretty low but NOBODY fucking cares what she says. You guys want everybody with a voice to live in a purity cave but then they are a crazy arm pit hair sporting hippy chick that nobody will give the time of day.

    To me Caroline, Sierra are pretty and relatively intelligent girls with good messages and they love to ski and do it pretty well. I personally could find a reason to hate almost everybody for one reason or another but I choose not to, unless they hate me first then I typically let myself induldge. JJ the same thing. You guys hate on him? Dude seems pretty chill to me.

    I went waterskiing this morning. Super carbon intensive. I am a super hypocrite just like these girls, JJ, all of you fucks. I should quit waterskiing, but I'd still be a super hypocrite right? It keeps me sane and I have the most fuel efficient rig that would work. I like biking but then someone in a lifted truck always wants to skim me as I ride along emitting only farts because I am virtue signaling or think I own the road but don't pay road taxes or however they justify it - but really they are just haters. You can roll coal, idle your diesel truck everywhere with the exhaust pointed toward the liberal children, pretend not to care, and flat deny the world is warming just a tiny bit more because of your actions but unless you make your kids swim in tanks of oil sludge and drink untreated sewage you are still a hypocrital virtue signaling asshole to someone. So in the end it comes back to the voice. Use it, if you have to. Do what you can to conserve. Virtue signal all you want because we all do even if you think you don't. All this hate on individuals who speak up, such easy targets, low hanging fruit for the folks that want to jump up and down and point fingers, yet corporate greenwashing efforts don't earn 9 page threads. Caroline though fkna, we can't stop typing.

    Didn't Sierra drop the quitquit? Trying to grow up on us.

  3. #303
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The 8th best place in the LBP
    Posts
    2,732
    I don't hate on CG at all but I gotta say if those heli wedding/engagement pics are real, that's pretty damn stupid of her. Could even cost her the Patagonia ambassador gig if it somehow went viral. They take that shit seriously.

  4. #304
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    In the swamp
    Posts
    6,517
    Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    There is a crazy woman in Iowa City that runs around the streets shouting about stuff everyday. Pretty sure she is homeless or nearly so. My guess her carbon footprint is pretty low but NOBODY fucking cares what she says. You guys want everybody with a voice to live in a purity cave but then they are a crazy arm pit hair sporting hippy chick that nobody will give the time of day.

    To me Caroline, Sierra are pretty and relatively intelligent girls with good messages and they love to ski and do it pretty well. I personally could find a reason to hate almost everybody for one reason or another but I choose not to, unless they hate me first then I typically let myself induldge. JJ the same thing. You guys hate on him? Dude seems pretty chill to me.

    I went waterskiing this morning. Super carbon intensive. I am a super hypocrite just like these girls, JJ, all of you fucks. I should quit waterskiing, but I'd still be a super hypocrite right? It keeps me sane and I have the most fuel efficient rig that would work. I like biking but then someone in a lifted truck always wants to skim me as I ride along emitting only farts because I am virtue signaling or think I own the road but don't pay road taxes or however they justify it - but really they are just haters. You can roll coal, idle your diesel truck everywhere with the exhaust pointed toward the liberal children, pretend not to care, and flat deny the world is warming just a tiny bit more because of your actions but unless you make your kids swim in tanks of oil sludge and drink untreated sewage you are still a hypocrital virtue signaling asshole to someone. So in the end it comes back to the voice. Use it, if you have to. Do what you can to conserve. Virtue signal all you want because we all do even if you think you don't. All this hate on individuals who speak up, such easy targets, low hanging fruit for the folks that want to jump up and down and point fingers, yet corporate greenwashing efforts don't earn 9 page threads. Caroline though fkna, we can't stop typing.

    Didn't Sierra drop the quitquit? Trying to grow up on us.
    I think itís their preachiness and hypocritical nature that is what annoys most of us. Saving the planet one jet at a time!

  5. #305
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Western MT
    Posts
    1,332
    Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    I think it’s their preachiness and hypocritical nature that is what annoys most of us. Saving the planet one jet at a time!
    Yep, that's the crux of it. Plus it gives dittoheads and the like huge cannon fodder to point out the hypocrisy. Not that Caroline is on their radar, but think Al Gore.

    I don't understand how people don't get that??? Not that the pill popper Limbaugh isn't a case of hypocrisy himself, but the far right definitely eats this kind of shit up.

  6. #306
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Moose, Iowa
    Posts
    5,840
    Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    I think itís their preachiness and hypocritical nature that is what annoys most of us. Saving the planet one jet at a time!
    It is hard for us to stop typing about her even when we have said it all before. It just is. She has a voice. Suck it up buttercups.

    I doubt I'd even follow her if it wasn't for all the hell she raises with the boys club.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

  7. #307
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,642
    that's it, i'm fed up, i'm calling and leaving a voicemail.

  8. #308
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Stumptown
    Posts
    5,761
    The only way to fix climate change is through activism that motivates enough people to push lawmakers to do something. We are all hypocrites in our own way about our carbon foot print, but demonizing people who put their time and money into trying to make a difference just plays into the hands of people who want to fight any change to the status quo.

  9. #309
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Western MT
    Posts
    1,332
    Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    The only way to fix climate change is through activism that motivates enough people to push lawmakers to do something. We are all hypocrites in our own way about our carbon foot print, but demonizing people who put their time and money into trying to make a difference just plays into the hands of people who want to fight any change to the status quo.
    Any bonehead can see that heli assisted wedding engagement photo ops and plastering it on social media MAY not support that philosophy. How much thought on one's part does that take, really?

  10. #310
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Posts
    5,126
    There's this exceptionally dumb assumption that everyone commenting is a climate crusader. I believe the science & try to be responsible on my end. But that doesn't include proselytizing & projecting virtue on platforms designed for self-worship. Trying to be reasonable while refraining from the nonsensical hyperbole strikes me as a perfectly consistent & rational approach to the topic.

    In reality though I'm pretty sure most people just use things like climate change as an excuse for social segmentation & elevating their chosen path above that of neighbors. Similar to angle shooting for class president or some other childish nonsense. Departures from the prescriptions on conservation/pollution minimization just help parse the underlying motives from the window dressing.

  11. #311
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    funland
    Posts
    4,448
    my momma would say, "it's not what you said, it's how you said it."

    certain celebrities get more flak because their tone rubs people the wrong way. it would be easy to say folks are just being misogynistic or something but there's other successful people who don't get shit on because they give off a positive vibe that doesn't grate on people. [AC or KT, for example]

  12. #312
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Posts
    10,887
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star View Post
    my momma would say, "it's not what you said, it's how you said it."

    certain celebrities get more flak because their tone rubs people the wrong way. it would be easy to say folks are just being misogynistic or something but there's other successful people who don't get shit on because they give off a positive vibe that doesn't grate on people. [AC or KT, for example]
    That ‘how you say it’ point is valid, but (whatabout) it also comes up in the criticisms people have of CG. Some people’s comments come across basically misogynistic, or something.
    And I guess that I just don't know

  13. #313
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    In the swamp
    Posts
    6,517

    Why all the Caroline Gleich hate?

    Carolineís response to this thread:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B2haQrmn...=1uvhqk8g6k5n7

  14. #314
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Moose, Iowa
    Posts
    5,840
    Plenty of hate for Prof. Katharine Hayhoe as well and she says everything about as diplomatically, clearly, and with a flare toward making the problem relatable to people from all sides of the aisle. They say they hate her because she drives to work or insert reason. I just read this thread and then logged into my twitter and this was the very first thing that popped up. More hate for female activists or in this case scientist and activist.

    https://twitter.com/AppleheadEmma/st...77890797871105

    We can find fault in everyone but where do you draw the line? Katharine isn't heli skiing but the hate is still there.

    BTW for non haters here, follow her if you have not already. She is super smart and has a great message well delivered. And she keeps coming at you.

  15. #315
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    cordova,AK
    Posts
    2,640
    as long as her sponsors agree she is golden.
    off your knees Louie

  16. #316
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,294
    I feel like Caroline, Jones and Caldwell should really focus their efforts into getting people to wear sunscreen, because they look haggard.
    Live Free or Die

  17. #317
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    MST
    Posts
    535
    I'm guessing you're not allowed to park a helicopter there...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Caroline-Gleich-Wasatch-Helicopter-Wedding-Hearnes-Elopement-Photography-33.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	294528
    go upside down.

  18. #318
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    In the shadow of the wasatch
    Posts
    2,851
    Quote Originally Posted by RonMexico View Post
    I'm guessing you're not allowed to park a helicopter there...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Caroline-Gleich-Wasatch-Helicopter-Wedding-Hearnes-Elopement-Photography-33.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	294528
    A proper environazi would nicely pack their fancy duds, schlep to the top, change into fancy duds, pose, change back, schlep down then post it on IG.

    Hoppen a helo for that same wedding pic? Thats straight hippycritical. Somebody needs to email CGz granola spancer
    Bunny Don't Surf

  19. #319
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    North,NorthEast
    Posts
    2,510
    Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    Katharine Hayhoe
    Thatís an unfortunate name

  20. #320
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    In the swamp
    Posts
    6,517
    Quote Originally Posted by RonMexico View Post
    I'm guessing you're not allowed to park a helicopter there...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Caroline-Gleich-Wasatch-Helicopter-Wedding-Hearnes-Elopement-Photography-33.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	294528
    Why not? Wilderness?

  21. #321
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    1,966
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Statistically, the hypocrisy isn't in the travel so much, since driving back from AK would have generated more CO2 than flying, but in advocating for more consumption, for buying new stuff.
    So the disrespect is somewhat deserved, but for the wrong reasons.

    As for Gleich per se, it sure seems like not so well veiled misogynism.
    sure there's plenty of misogyny.

    there's also a huge conflict between actions following a traditional path, or at least a modern traditional path (Himalayan expeditions, heli-anything, grandiose wedding pomp, hugely energy intensive e-crap) and the notion to save our society we have to rethink all those modern traditions. What really rubs people wrong is people getting it while they can and trying to close the gate afterwards.

    But that doesn't matter because skiers don't care - it's all the duty of someone else to sacrifice, not them. Big government needs to regulate your consumption not you. Here's a hint hypocrites: as long as you excuse hyperconsumption the political will will not be there to regulate it.

  22. #322
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Before
    Posts
    20,113
    If it's not misogyny, why hasn't Jeremy Jones had a thread? He certainly has the rhetoric and the inconsistency.

    There's so many more guys who are hypocrites in this regard than women, yet Gleich gets significantly more shit.

    If we apply that measure to Gleich, we'd better apply it to ourselves first. We have relatively enormous carbon footprints.

    That's why I think the hysteria (root word) about the hypocrisy is poorly conceived. Do what we can and tolerate the skiterrati.
    Reuse, recycle, eat less, plant trees, stop blaming.

    https://daevidallen.bandcamp.com/track/save-the-rich

    (they got the title wrong: it's called Blame the Rich, it's been my son's favorite song for years)
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

  23. #323
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    inpdx
    Posts
    11,829
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFugitive View Post
    A proper environazi would nicely pack their fancy duds, schlep to the top, change into fancy duds, pose, change back, schlep down then post it on IG.

    Hoppen a helo for that same wedding pic? Thats straight hippycritical. Somebody needs to email CGz granola spancer
    They carried it up just for the photo

  24. #324
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,505
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    If it's not misogyny, why hasn't Jeremy Jones had a thread? He certainly has the rhetoric and the inconsistency.
    Because his brother's own this website. Duh.

  25. #325
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Before
    Posts
    20,113
    Quote Originally Posted by Kopi_Red View Post
    Because his brother's own this website. Duh.
    Like that would stop the whinging? HAH!
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •