Page 15 of 45 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RonMexico View Post
    I'm guessing you're not allowed to park a helicopter there...

Attachment 294528
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFugitive View Post
    A proper environazi would nicely pack their fancy duds, schlep to the top, change into fancy duds, pose, change back, schlep down then post it on IG.

Hoppen a helo for that same wedding pic? Thats straight hippycritical. Somebody needs to email CGz granola spancer
    She took a fucking helicopter to do some wedding photos! Can we just agree how fucking stupid that was without getting into some deeper conversation around misogyny.

Here's the thing...if you want to espouse environmentalism and carbon reduction and stopping global warming ad nauseum, then you CANT TAKE A FUCKING HELICOPTER TO DO SOME WEDDING PHOTOS!
    You guys are brutal... This isn't a one-for-one proposition. It's not like she had a day of heli skiing planned, but decided to use the helicopter for wedding photos instead.

I would love to take a helicopter ride and absolutely would given the opportunity. But if I made my living off of espousing environmental causes and how important it is to limit our carbon footprint, then you better believe I wouldn't be flying somewhere (whether in a helicopter or plane - near of far) to take my wedding photos. The city park / pond / lake down the street would certainly suffice.

It's the total lack of self awareness and accountability in these instances - and always being able to make excuses for your own actions when called out on your bullshit - that makes me frustrated.
    Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    And no one is asking her to be but ffs she could have a little self awareness.

She climbed Everest so take a hike in your wedding dress for the pictures.
    EGGZACKLY! Self Awareness Hello!

I sure won't be buying any granola from a company that spancers CG!

I wanted to rethink buying Patagucci because they spancer her too...
    Their shit is so dope though, especially the FitzroyTrout Trucker Cap, that I couldn't not give them my freedom dollars.

What were we arguing about again?
    Oh yeah.
    We are all sexists, except those of us that aren't.
    So don't criticize someone who makes a living off of public image.
    And doing more cool shit than you do.
    If they sit down to pee.
    It could never be about the substance of what they are bringing or how they bring it.

It could only be because they have tits and a cute smile that we are critical...

Back to the real issue...
    Why does Brody have to LEAD Caroline down the trail to their awaiting chariot of privilege?
    Have the fumes for the spent Jet-A made her too woozy to traverse the knife edge ridge in white satin high heels?

Of does he have some suppressed misogynist sexism that won't allow him to let her use her level 3 skills to get back to the choppah!?!?

Fuck that guy! I'm gonna unfollow him on instagram! That'll show him!

Name:  that-face-you-make-when-none-of-your-friendswanttocetin-ya-4963410.png
Views: 888
Size:  78.2 KB
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    I’m not downplaying individual changes in lifestyle, but if the power grid and all new cars turned renewable, then the rest of it wouldn’t really matter.
    There may not be climate-change impact from some renewable sources of energy but there is most definitely environmental impact. Daming rivers, solar arrays take up tons of land, etc. etc. There's no free lunch. Really, this attitude is a gift to polluters because it's so transparently facile and false. Own your hyperconsumption and it's impacts, don't bullshit them away.

Quote Originally Posted by SDW View Post
    Yeah, but all that means is that the US collectively drives a lot more than it flies. It doesn't mean that for an individual's choices, flying has a smaller footprint than driving.
    No, it means there are bigger fish to fry. Airplane travel certainly doesn't help, but if we grounded all planes tomorrow it would make fuck all of a difference.

Individual actions give legitimacy to systemic movements.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Why all the Caroline Gleich hate?

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    There may not be climate-change impact from some renewable sources of energy but there is most definitely environmental impact. Daming rivers, solar arrays take up tons of land, etc. etc. There's no free lunch. Really, this attitude is a gift to polluters because it's so transparently facile and false. Own your hyperconsumption and it's impacts, don't bullshit them away.
    That was just a climate oriented reply, in response to a critique of the carbon output of a helicopter. I’m happy to discuss your idea about what to do for either our carbon output, environmental impacts, or your own personal lifestyle that makes you so perfect ecologically that you think you are in a place to critique others.

I’ve done plenty to reduce my footprint over the last few years, but I do it so I feel better about myself, not because I think my small changes will affect the global climate to any level. My time and money is best spent pressuring decision makers and supporting people, groups and yes, companies, that are working towards similar goals.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    Individual actions give legitimacy to systemic movements.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I don't disagree. That's why, say, Greta Thunberg's sailing to the United States was a good idea. Her flight over wouldn't have mattered, in the grand scheme of things, but she's setting a good example.

I generally think the critique is overblown though. And especially when people use it as a convenient excuse to completely dismiss people out of hand.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    I generally think the critique is overblown though. And especially when people use it as a convenient excuse to completely dismiss people out of hand.
    True enough, but isn't the point of advocating to convince people who aren't already convinced? It is known that many such people are looking for convenient excuses, so offering them up is at best ineffectual and at worst actually provides the whataboutist with ammunition that helps them ignore more effective advocates. (If legislators won't listen to scientists, send in the outdoorsy!?! Meh.)

OP claimed to be looking for hate-splainers, and none of this rises to that level. Borrowing from Buster, those concerned with hypocrisy have to start with own own. But the critique of her actions as they impact her effectiveness is still true as far as it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    True enough, but isn't the point of advocating to convince people who aren't already convinced? It is known that many such people are looking for convenient excuses, so offering them up is at best ineffectual and at worst actually provides the whataboutist with ammunition that helps them ignore more effective advocates. (If legislators won't listen to scientists, send in the outdoorsy!?! Meh.)

OP claimed to be looking for hate-splainers, and none of this rises to that level. Borrowing from Buster, those concerned with hypocrisy have to start with own own. But the critique of her actions as they impact her effectiveness is still true as far as it goes.
    True enough. But where do we draw the line? There's a lot of subjective grey area there.

Take Al Gore for example. Guy has been raising awareness about global warming for decades. Earth in the Balance was published in 1992. He's probably more responsible for raising climate change awareness than anybody. And he was doing it before most others except some scientists and a handful of enviro activists. To do that, he flew around the world a lot. I'm sure he's taken a lot of unnecessary flights for leisure too. He's a rich guy.

Does that mean he's a hypocrite? I mean, I guess. But I would argue he's done more good than ill. And I think the argument to make on that point is fairly easy, given the available evidence.

Like I said, the heli to the wedding photos is low-hanging fruit. But overall, I dunno, no matter what people do short of killing themselves to offset their carbon footprint, somebody is still going to criticize them for hypocrisy.
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

I guess my point is that I agree with Buster in that judging a person for hypocrisy seems hypocritical, but it doesn't stop me from seeing the pragmatic effect it has on their message. Same goes for CG, JJ, Gore...

As a member of the peanut gallery, more discussion of people who are trying to lead from the front seems helpful. Particularly those who are modeling and discovering better ways.

^^^ Yes. I agree with all of that for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    Huh? Sounds like more thoughtless hypocrisy. An environmentalist who expects to have the right to speak up about carbon pollution should live on a path, not a street. If they live on a street they forfeit their right to speak out no?

That street to the probably fake pond took an enormous amount of CO2 to produce and destroyed plants and the soil beneath them that sequester carbon and the non porous surface results in runoff into the lake which results in methane production.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0326081426.htm

Purity is tough when we all live glass houses instead of mud huts.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Many wetland systems are carbon sinks, and urban ponds can help with nutrient removal if properly designed which can limit things like nitrogen and phosphorous in larger water bodies and consequently reduce algal blooms. So your categorization of ponds is vague and off base IMO.

edit to add: If you are talking about large parking lots with a large pond lacking vegetation as a stormwater basin then yes, that can be a problem. Although phosphorous may bind to sediment and be retained limiting effluent concentrations. The bottom line is design is all site specific. That's why I don't agree with the sweeping categorizations of "urban ponds" being bad for the environment and contributing to "greening" as the article states.
    Last edited by 3PinGrin; 09-19-2019 at 04:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    Many wetland systems are carbon sinks, and urban ponds can help with nutrient removal if properly designed which can limit things like nitrogen and phosphorous in larger water bodies and consequently reduce algal blooms. So your categorization of ponds is vague and off base IMO.

edit to add: If you are talking about large parking lots with a large pond lacking vegetation as a stormwater basin then yes, that can be a problem. Although phosphorous may bind to sediment and be retained limiting effluent concentrations. The bottom line is design is all site specific. That's why I don't agree with the sweeping categorizations of "urban ponds" being bad for the environment and contributing to "greening" as the article states.
    I appreciate the reply. My wife works for a city making sure we have detention basins for stormwater runoff. It is harder to develop porous concrete because it cracks to pieces with freeze thaw cycles. They tried a small test section a couple years ago and it failed.

My point was basically what lightranger said. Where do we draw the line? When people make an effort to do better ala JJ we still criticize him. For some people flying heli's is a job. Do they get to speak up? Do we refuse a heli evacuation if we get hurt in the backcountry?

I personally decided years ago heli skiing isn't something I am interested in for a variety of reasons - although jumping over to another ridge at Silverton for 50 bucks would be fun since it flies anyway. Easy for me as a working stiff that has to count beans and can't afford heli skiing anyway but not so easy for people who pay bills flying around providing services. Do they have to remain silent?

Getting an emergency heli evacuation is a completely different thing than using a helicopter to go skiing or take wedding photos. This is whataboutism at its worst.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Getting an emergency heli evacuation is a completely different thing than using a helicopter to go skiing or take wedding photos. This is whataboutism at its worst.
    Thank you.

Okay. You guys are judge and jury for the purity department. Got it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    whats goin on
    ifin ya changed it from hate to cuck love
    mosta yoused still be winning why all the way beats me
    but whats evers
    im gonna respond to the thread
    by posting in it
    poundkeyburninggreenerthanubros
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

You took a picture of the hand of a 95 year old Nepalese farmer holding a cigarette on your roof?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

A friend of mine fly's Feinstein's husbands jet, G-550, He tells me they burn 50 gallons of fuel just taxiing for takeoff

That's one of how many private jets everyday? no shit we have a problem, what we have here is rich fuckers thinking their too important to use other modes of transport

To be fair, Feinstein doesn't really claim to give all that much of a shit. Just ask the Sunrise Movement kids.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Jeremy Jones and I dunno.
    Dropping in to ID Mike Richter - ex-NY Rangers goalie. Maybe the warmingz making it hard to keep the ice fast Madison Sq. Garden?

Ok, carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by vonzipper View Post
    A friend of mine fly's Feinstein's husbands jet, G-550, He tells me they burn 50 gallons of fuel just taxiing for takeoff

That's one of how many private jets everyday? no shit we have a problem, what we have here is rich fuckers thinking their too important to use other modes of transport
    You flown over the holidays or a 6-7 am flight lately?

Quote Originally Posted by vonzipper View Post
    I worked for a guy and would watch their dog frequently when they traveled
    On multiple occasions I had to pick up the dog at the airport FBO where it was flown back home as the only passenger on their plane
    I was glad to move on from that situation
    skid luxury

Did the plane ever have teenage sex slaves on it?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

I could get up on my high horse and talk about the simple life I've lived and my very small carbon footprint but.......

We are all guilty and we are all fucked. I'm pretty sure the ski industry wouldn't function without capitalism and peoples drive to obtain wealth, the core of why humans keep hitting the gas as hard as they can towards societal collapse. At this point I'm fairly convinced it's our purpose to push the earth into it's next cycle and besides, we don't deserve to be here any longer anyways.

And those climate "protests" are bullshit too. We had a pretty good turn out one day here in Flagstaff, my daughter went with her school even but afterwards you could watch the majority of protesters get into their expensive cars and drive off. I don't think anyone is ready to make the sacrifices it would take to make an actual difference.

In the end, climate change is probably the best thing for the planet because what the Earth really needs is a massive die off to help clear it of it's human infestation.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Caroline just flew back from SLC to MN to follow her bike riding husband in a car for support. That’s a climate activist for you.