Page 34 of 45 FirstFirst ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    +1. As always.
    mutual admiration society

we should all go skiing next winter

and find DW
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post

we should all go skiing next winter

and find DW
    You in L?

I’m just here

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    TriUngulate is an influencer here.

your IG gives me a boner

Quote Originally Posted by telefreewasatch View Post
    Appreciate the advice.
    Really.
    Busted our asses to raise a couple of human beings and athletes who have tremendous integrity.
    Caroline is disingenuous.
    And it galls me when these athletes are all lumped together.
    Standing down now, buy ya a beer I hope...
    Honestly that tells me a lot coming from you. Your kids are both badass so I’m going to defer to your judgement here and take your word for it. Just don’t like seeing someone like Cody getting lumped in with the CG’s.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by telefreewasatch View Post
    Appreciate the advice.
    Really.
    Busted our asses to raise a couple of human beings and athletes who have tremendous integrity.
    Caroline is disingenuous.
    And it galls me when these athletes are all lumped together.
    Standing down now, buy ya a beer I hope...
    You have every right to be proud of yourself and your kids, no question.

But I don't think CG's relative success in the Instagram sphere detracts from what you or yours have accomplished - not in the least.

Just because her "influencer schtick" may seem cheezy to some of us jaded folk here in teh TRG, it isn't in itself a bad thing IMO, despite what some in this thread may assert.

I would posit that her "schtick" is inspirational to others, especially young women who aspire to big mountains, who weren't raised with stellar role models like yourself to guide them. She does tend to be goal oriented, and fairly successful at achieving said goals, which is admirable. She could be a whole helluvalot worse, like an empty Kardashian.

Sure, it may be disingenuous when she plays the victim, especially as somebody who seems to have had a comfortable white upper middle class midwestern upbringing. But we don't know what has forged her - she has definitely had her share of tragedy and loss, and as this thread attests, she gets more than her share of shit slung her way.

We're all skiers here. We don't always agree on means and ends, but we all love sliding on the snow.

I'll be happy to buy you the next round as well next time we meet up.

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    TriUngulate is an influencer here.
    Did he take ppp? I'm fkin outraged.

Well said TU.

Well said, Tri-Ungulate. Calling out Caroline specifically as disingenuous is dumb. There is environmental hypocrisy with the POW/climate change schtick combined with the global jet-setting, but its no worse than other pro skiers and I know most of us would jump at the chance to join her on any of these trips. While she may not be a perfect example of a sustainable athlete she does a better job than most pro skiers. I would say that POW and the ski industry as a whole is disingenuous and its mostly just greenwashing, but its unfair to pile blame on specific athletes for racking up more frequent flier miles than you do.

The heli wedding photos get mentioned - I know Matt flew her for free and they did not land in wilderness (I know Matt has on many other occasions, a topic for another day). While its not a great look, it was an hour in a heli on one evening. She doesn't heli ski, which is about the highest-emission activity a skier could partake in other than flying in private jets maybe. She made her name skiing in resorts and in the backcountry, not on TGR/Matchstick-funded heli-fueled circlejerks. Its strange to pile on to Caroline for a single heli ride while applauding other skiers who ride helis constantly while also claiming to be "climate-activists"

+1 to what TriU and Benneke posted.

One of the coolest things I’ve seen in my decades of skiing and mtn biking is the increased amt of women out there. Let’s be glad that there are a variety of women finding ways to make it work; that variety among the film stars and SM influencers increases the odds that the next generation is seeing the stoke they want to see.

I'm just here for the hot cody pics.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

We just call them Cody pics

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    We just call them Cody pics
    Cody pics are the hottest sexiest evar

Name:  58271.jpg
Views: 994
Size:  84.8 KB

Optics.

Stoke.

Some hot real life Cody pics to help heal the angst.
    And cool the heat.

Winter ‘22
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	51372783-D938-41FA-9731-821E8342AD3A.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	490.0 KB 
ID:	420800

Cody in lingerie
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	061A7304-A4E7-43B8-8D1A-9F01B9871400.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	294.2 KB 
ID:	420801

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    Well said, Tri-Ungulate. Calling out Caroline specifically as disingenuous is dumb. There is environmental hypocrisy with the POW/climate change schtick combined with the global jet-setting, but its no worse than other pro skiers and I know most of us would jump at the chance to join her on any of these trips. While she may not be a perfect example of a sustainable athlete she does a better job than most pro skiers. I would say that POW and the ski industry as a whole is disingenuous and its mostly just greenwashing, but its unfair to pile blame on specific athletes for racking up more frequent flier miles than you do.
    She's an 'Athlete Activist' TM bruh in her own words. I think she's asking to be held to a higher 'standard'.
    When you go out and turn yourself into a brand your going to have people that don't like your brand. And part of the 'being the brand' is it's all about you. And that makes it hard to be genuine IMHO.
    You know what would be cool? Caroline uses her brand to fund expeditions for women who haven't had the opportunity due to money or exposure or whatever....

Either way she's doing what she wants to do and I hope she's happy. I'm sure she's nice in person. I just have a lot more respect for the people that are working hard behind the scenes at programs like SheJumps.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch

The heli wedding photos get mentioned - I know Matt flew her for free and they did not land in wilderness (I know Matt has on many other occasions, a topic for another day). While its not a great look, it was an hour in a heli on one evening. She doesn't heli ski, which is about the highest-emission activity a skier could partake in other than flying in private jets maybe. She made her name skiing in resorts and in the backcountry, not on TGR/Matchstick-funded heli-fueled circlejerks. Its strange to pile on to Caroline for a single heli ride while applauding other skiers who ride helis constantly while also claiming to be "climate-activists"
    are we talkin bout this bro?
    https://www.ksl.com/article/50367160...che-near-provo
    friends dont let friends
    make what the shitfuck skicuts
    maybe she can help
    as a skier i got no problem with skiers usin fossil fuel to ski very few dont
    gnarisistic twit shit
    not as much
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by sfotex View Post
    She's an 'Athlete Activist' TM bruh in her own words. I think she's asking to be held to a higher 'standard'.
    When you go out and turn yourself into a brand your going to have people that don't like your brand. And part of the 'being the brand' is it's all about you. And that makes it hard to be genuine IMHO.
    You know what would be cool? Caroline uses her brand to fund expeditions for women who haven't had the opportunity due to money or exposure or whatever....

Either way she's doing what she wants to do and I hope she's happy. I'm sure she's nice in person. I just have a lot more respect for the people that are working hard behind the scenes at programs like SheJumps.
    I think the entire "athlete-activist" genre is bullshit, but my point is that its not just Caroline and its unfair to call her out specifically. Jeremy Jones and his merry band of self congratulatory "athlete activists" are just as annoying. I used to work on capitol hill, playing dress up and meeting with congressional staffers and occasionally members does basically nothing except promote their own images as "part of the solution." I don't mean to sound so pessimistic but pro skiers aren't going to stop climate change and it bothers me that they are using it to grift.

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    are we talkin bout this bro?
    https://www.ksl.com/article/50367160...che-near-provo
    friends dont let friends
    make what the shitfuck skicuts
    maybe she can help
    as a skier i got no problem with skiers usin fossil fuel to ski very few dont
    gnarisistic twit shit
    not as much
    Yeah we're talking about him. I've talked to him a couple times, obviously he's a giant narcissist and I wouldn't want to be associated with him but I would accept a heli invite if I got one.. I'm only human

as per matt g, looking at his insta feed is depressing as hell. weird to a person that age so obsessed with showing off the gram.

I’ll just say as someone who used to know Caroline in her youth, I wouldn’t say hello to her if I saw her these days. She’s amazingly narcissistic and annoying.

I think the entire "athlete-activist" genre is bullshit, but my point is that its not just Caroline and its unfair to call her out specifically. Jeremy Jones and his merry band of self congratulatory "athlete activists" are just as annoying.
    I'm sure there's plenty more people in the genre I would enjoy disliking too. I imagine to get more funding for yourself it helps to pump up your 'green' game....
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Quote Originally Posted by sfotex View Post

I don’t follow CG closely, but I recall she does try to do things similar to what you’re suggesting.

As we went about planning this, we talked to Adrian Ballinger and Alpenglow and they actually hired two female guides for our expedition. So we have a 50/50 split of women and men on our expedition, which I can’t help but think that our mission sort of played a role in their hiring these female guides. We also have a female high-altitude doctor.
    :shrug:
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    I don’t follow CG closely, but I recall she does try to do things similar to what you’re suggesting.

:shrug:
    What? I have no idea how you came to that conclusion with that example. Looks like Adrien gets all the credit for a 50/50 crew, she clearly didn't ask for it. And to sfotxs point, it's not even the other womens expedition!

Gonna give CG a follow in IG and see if she's as bad as y'all are claiming. I actually follow BL on the gram and the content isn't intrusive, and if you DM him with questions about skiing and gear he'll actually get back to you without sarcasm or pretension which is more than I can say about this place most of the time.

Anyway the more collective stoke the better