Page 20 of 45 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    I'll just say this, you guys are all concerned about optics and optics only.
    Its funny that someone who has made a living being a marketing monkey for the last 20 years doesn't realize the importance of optics.

Look climate activists have taken the "do as I say not as I do" approach to climate change for years, and its gotten no where.

"hey india and china, stop relying on coal power!" --developed word
    "hey but you built your empire on coal so go fuck yourself" -- India and China.

"Hey Brasil, stop cutting down the amazon!" -- Developed world
    "Hey europe, where are all your trees? oh ya you cut them all down." -- Brasil

"Hey governments, I'm incapable of making lifestyle changes myself, will you force us to?" -- POW activists
    "ummmm, you're a climate activist and you can walk the talk and you want me to force the rest of these people to make HUGE lifestyle changes??? are you fucking kidding me? sounds like a recipe for revolution" -- every government in the world.

Basically the current approach to climate activism has failed for the last 30 years, so unless the approach changes or things need to get a lot worse before huge meaningful changes will take place.

you can call the responses to this thread "internet elitism" but many valid points were brought up and maybe POW should listen because if they're failing to get a bunch of skiers who look up to their ambassadors on board then their message and approach to activism is failing.

So to sum up the attitudes of the the last few pages.

"individual sacrifices mean nothing without collective action."

"Uh, you go first."
    Move upside and let the man go through...

So what do you propose we do?

The recent climate strike was supposed to be exactly what you are talking about, the only problem is we have these people who don't believe that climate change is occurring or that it will lead to a dangerous outcome, and other people who are too cynical/pessimistic to participate in said climate strike (myself included). Change is slow, I don't think we have the ability to "change shit tomorrow" when people's retirements/pensions, livelihoods, investments, etc. are all tied up in the fossil fuel industry. I'm not going to tell my retired parents to forego their pension because the money they live off of was derived from fossil fuels. So in my mind the change needs to be incremental. And the first increment should be raising awareness with mass protests and "pretty finger painted signs" to show the cynical/pessimists that there is a large movement that is willing to sacrifice to make changes.

This whole thing will take a lot of time (which we don't have) to fix, and making sudden and drastic changes will likely lead to violence. There needs to be a long-term comprehensive plan, but if we all sit on our thumbs and think protests and marches are pointless there won't be any pressure on our politicians to make plans and regulations to ease ourselves off of oil.

POW needs to make new trucker hats. That’ll do it.

The climate strike didn’t work because it wasn’t a strike, but a weak ass gathering with more in common with yuppie farmers markets than anything worth a column inch.. A bunch of rich white people taking a personal day from work and getting their kids excused from classes for a day doesn’t mean fuck all. As Mofro alluded to no one is willing to assume risk to see some change.

A climate strike would be a ton of people risking their jobs by not going back to work until there is meaningful legislation passed or something like that. You want to see politicians react? Blow up the economy for a couple weeks with a general strike. It will take leadership and organization beyond the capacity of 16 year old girls and stoned pro athletes.. Good luck. Unfortunately it would also involve making a bunch of people who care about climate change uncomfortable, so now you know it won’t happen.

brutah. spot on.

instagram IS optics. a little bit of self-awareness from the visible POW types certainly would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star View Post
    brutah. spot on.

instagram IS optics. a little bit of self-awareness from the visible POW types certainly would be nice.
    You don’t think Sierra Q preaching about single use plastic while flying the world nonstop is good optics?

I get everything everyone is saying here. Trust me, these talks happen across all levels of this debate. Sure, it's important to cut back where you can and I personally have done my share...I just don't spout about it very often. My meat consumption these days is nearly zero. Everyone of my flights is offset and last year alone I cut my flight distances in half. The project I'm currently doing mainly involves driving and camping. People that care are trying to do stuff and most people are holding those that voice an opinion to a higher standard than those that don't. Say something then get on a snowmobile and you're a piece of shit hypocrite. Fly in helis all season, eat beef three meals a day and drink oil for breakfast but never say anything or be an activist...oh you're cool. Anyways, what I'm saying is, how the fuck are you gonna convince 6 billion people to voluntarily reduce their own carbon footprint for the common good? Last time I checked, the world's economy is revolved around self-interest and we're pretty bad at this common-good thingy.

So my point is that yeah, self-sacrifice is good, but until there are options for energy, transportation and consumption that are both economically advantageous for the individual and environmentally friendly, nothing is gonna happen...or it'll happen at a lot slower rate than probably necessary.

As some said here, pro-skiers may just be preaching to the choir and 4/5 Americans think climate change is something to do deal with, but currently, seems like our government and a lot of the world's governments aren't accurately representing their constituents beliefs. Hence, the reason to lobby and try to incite change at the top. To intensify the pace of investment in green technology across all sectors.

What I'm advocating for is, who gives a fuck what you, I or others do right now because my decision, or your decision, to drive a little less, go vegetarian, not have a kid, ain't gonna do fuck all in the grand scheme of things. It's spitting on a forest fire.

Anyways, what I'm saying is, how the fuck are you gonna convince 6 billion people to voluntarily reduce their own carbon footprint for the common good? Last time I checked, the world's economy is revolved around self-interest and we're pretty bad at this common-good thingy.

So my point is that yeah, self-sacrifice is good, but until there are options for energy, transportation and consumption that are both economically advantageous for the individual and environmentally friendly, nothing is gonna happen...or it'll happen at a lot slower rate than probably necessary.

As some said here, pro-skiers may just be preaching to the choir and 4/5 Americans think climate change is something to do deal with, but currently, seems like our government and a lot of the world's governments aren't accurately representing their constituents beliefs. Hence, the reason to lobby and try to incite change at the top. To intensify the pace of investment in green technology across all sectors.

What I'm advocating for is, who gives a fuck what you, I or others do right now because my decision, or your decision, to drive a little less, go vegetarian, not have a kid, ain't gonna do fuck all in the grand scheme of things. It's spitting on a forest fire.
    good points, especialy the point about the grand scheme of things

Consider somewhere in India or Bangladesh some poor dude ( or millions of dudes? ) living in a cardboard box in an alley with his family of 6 picking over rags and garbage,

Remember watching bacteria replicate in HS biology class? 6 billion people now just think of the world as one big petri dish and i think the vast majority of them could give a fuck

I think people are convinced by money, ferinstance people are embracing electric cars cuz now it works and its cheaper, people will quit burning oil to get around when its cheaper to run electrics

IME a cheaper lifestyle usually pollutes less
    Last edited by XXX-er; 10-05-2019 at 11:09 AM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Is there a thread for dick swinging about how little we fly because I think I might be in contention.

The goverment can do alot!
    But wont be in favor of the people who vote for them! So if you are in power will you shoot your own leg?

There are alot of good ideas....
    Turn off billboard illumination from 10pm to 5am!

Diving into this thread at my own peril. I've posted my thoughts on athletes/activists who's advertised causes seem to lack honesty in a different CG thread (FFS guys, two CG threads, really?). Now that this has turned into a climate thread I'll say this:

There are people on the same side of this issue arguing the merits and values of different actions. In some instances, the voices that condemn any individual action as "not good enough" meet or exceed the voices of those who are putting forth an honest effort to affect change. I have no problem with the folks that are honestly TRYING to make a difference, regardless of the impact. I do have a problem with the crowd that spends their energy and efforts pointing out each and every possible flaw in the actions of others, while sitting on the sidelines waiting for the perfect strategy to appear so they can finally act.

On Athletes as activists:
    Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    To argue that any pro skier has made a significant impact with regards to raising awareness is also bullshit. Sorry Cody, but neither CH not Jeremy Jones, not Chris Rubens is really concerting anyone.
    I agree that "awareness" campaigns are not a high value proposition. That said, many athletes are doing more than touting awareness, and are giving exposure to actionable ideas. At least in my case, athlete activists have affected my actions in multiple ways:

1. Listening to Greg Hill talk about reducing meat consumption to 2days/wk caused me to seriously consider changing my diet for the first time. Prior to this I'd convinced myself that I was a "serious" athlete and meals w/o meat were not meals. Now I'm pretty much on the GH program, sometimes more meat/week, sometimes less. I also I think that GH proving that an EV can be a viable option for an outdoor enthusiast will convert some naysayers.

2. Reading Yvon Chouinard's book introduced me to the idea of more sustainable farming practices and the idea of soil as a carbon sink as a means to affect climate change. Agriculture Tech was not an industry I'd previously considered working in - it is now.

3. Dakota Jones (runner) is the real deal, and among other inspiring pursuits has recently chosen to earn an engineering degree later in life with the goal of working to develop technologies that benefit the climate. I already have the degree, have worked in "greentech" my entire career, but DJ's decision to invest in an entirely new career path in an attempt to affect change has, in part, motivated me to double down on my existing path with a sharpened sense of commitment.

Point being, I can only speak for myself, but I think high profile individuals that highlight climate actions can have an impact, and while the scope of that impact is debatable I have no problem with the intent as long as it's honest. No, none of these people "converted" me from climate denier to climate change babbler, but their actions have influenced mine no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Diving into this thread at my own peril. I've posted my thoughts on athletes/activists who's advertised causes seem to lack honesty in a different CG thread (FFS guys, two CG threads, really?). Now that this has turned into a climate thread I'll say this:

There are people on the same side of this issue arguing the merits and values of different actions. In some instances, the voices that condemn any individual action as "not good enough" meet or exceed the voices of those who are putting forth an honest effort to affect change. I have no problem with the folks that are honestly TRYING to make a difference, regardless of the impact. I do have a problem with the crowd that spends their energy and efforts pointing out each and every possible flaw in the actions of others, while sitting on the sidelines waiting for the perfect strategy to appear so they can finally act.

On Athletes as activists:

I agree that "awareness" campaigns are not a high value proposition. That said, many athletes are doing more than touting awareness, and are giving exposure to actionable ideas. At least in my case, athlete activists have affected my actions in multiple ways:

1. Listening to Greg Hill talk about reducing meat consumption to 2days/wk caused me to seriously consider changing my diet for the first time. Prior to this I'd convinced myself that I was a "serious" athlete and meals w/o meat were not meals. Now I'm pretty much on the GH program, sometimes more meat/week, sometimes less. I also I think that GH proving that an EV can be a viable option for an outdoor enthusiast will convert some naysayers.

2. Reading Yvon Chouinard's book introduced me to the idea of more sustainable farming practices and the idea of soil as a carbon sink as a means to affect climate change. Agriculture Tech was not an industry I'd previously considered working in - it is now.

3. Dakota Jones (runner) is the real deal, and among other inspiring pursuits has recently chosen to earn an engineering degree later in life with the goal of working to develop technologies that benefit the climate. I already have the degree, have worked in "greentech" my entire career, but DJ's decision to invest in an entirely new career path in an attempt to affect change has, in part, motivated me to double down on my existing path with a sharpened sense of commitment.

Point being, I can only speak for myself, but I think high profile individuals that highlight climate actions can have an impact, and while the scope of that impact is debatable I have no problem with the intent as long as it's honest. No, none of these people "converted" me from climate denier to climate change babbler, but their actions have influenced mine no doubt.
    Strong post.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using TGR Forums mobile app

We’re not pro skiers so we should fuck off.

Any criticism of CG’s et als’ actions versus stance is just hate.

It’s all hopeless so let’s just fly helis til the game is over.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    poundkeyilldrinktothat
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

^^^ those any good?
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Surprisingly so pretty good
    I'm not a bloody snob
    They go good with
    Poundkeysforgoodnesssake

Pm iceman for brand ambassador spansership info
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

whoah.......so many good thoughts have emerged in what used to be an absolute shitstain of a thread until codys post. bravo++++
    the economic powers that be have seen fit to sustain their way regardless of any tech advances that could better our world. its not uncommon for world changing revolutionary patents to be bought by a large corp with interests in that field.......and filed away never to be seen again. until that aspect of our capitalist society comes to terms with the importance of change impacting profit........ we are fucked. a massive economic crash more akin to the late 20's then 2003/4 is the only thing that can alter our course. until big money doesnt control world policy i am unfortunately pessimistic

$75 Billion nightly injections of liquidity by the FED keep it going.

I get everything everyone is saying here. Trust me, these talks happen across all levels of this debate. Sure, it's important to cut back where you can and I personally have done my share...I just don't spout about it very often. My meat consumption these days is nearly zero. Everyone of my flights is offset and last year alone I cut my flight distances in half. The project I'm currently doing mainly involves driving and camping. People that care are trying to do stuff and most people are holding those that voice an opinion to a higher standard than those that don't. Say something then get on a snowmobile and you're a piece of shit hypocrite. Fly in helis all season, eat beef three meals a day and drink oil for breakfast but never say anything or be an activist...oh you're cool. Anyways, what I'm saying is, how the fuck are you gonna convince 6 billion people to voluntarily reduce their own carbon footprint for the common good? Last time I checked, the world's economy is revolved around self-interest and we're pretty bad at this common-good thingy.

Respect for this post, solid perspective and the advocacy work and awareness is important. Even if I am on the side that believes the necessary change is going to be extremely hard to achieve, both in the western and developing world, step 1 is getting more people to understand the scope of the problem...

I started following her on Instagram. Maybe people hate her because of her voice. Oh, it’s annoying.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    I started following her on Instagram. Maybe people hate her because of her voice. Oh, it’s annoying.
    You may be onto something. Some people are just more hateable than others no matter what they stand for. People used to hate Mary Lou Retton. I can't stand that fucker Julian Edelman. Every time that little shit catches a touchdown I want to throw something at my TV. My dog, god rest his soul, loved everyone and their dogs but used to hate the German Shepard down the road. As far as I could tell, that GS never did anything to him to warrant the hate.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Why all the Caroline Gleich hate?

Her husband just finished his ride across America, after having done the English Channel and Everest in the past year as well. Absolutely amazing. They keep referring to the projects as raising awareness of gender equality. How exactly does that work?

Why all the Caroline Gleich hate?

I guess this giant thread constitutes awareness ... in some form.

Also, I’ll be waiting for athlete instagrams to start promoting solar powered electric snowcats, and then we can have our cake and eat it too.

https://electrek.co/2019/05/15/all-electric-snowcat/

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Her husband just finished his ride across America, after having done the English Channel and Everest in the past year as well. Absolutely amazing. They keep referring to the projects as raising awareness of gender equality. How exactly does that work?
    Careful, you will be labeled a hater for asking such a question.

However credit where it is due. Riding across the English Channel & Mt Everest is no mean feat.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"