Page 11 of 45 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by lpkdz View Post
    I feel like this bit of critique from Avi class is something I encounter a lot in the teaching environment, and that is a very problematic trait in a learner:
    "She talks when she should listen and is strongly defensive from the start. Remember respect is earned and never given. By having such a large social media presence, you set yourself up for added criticism and comment, silence your critics through action and decisions, not words."

I'm not teaching in the outdoor realm, but am a nurse and often teach new nurses. New hires coming through an ICU setting that are overly confident, won't listen to feedback, and think they know it all on the first day are SCARY! They are almost guaranteed to be the ones that make the biggest mistakes. Absolutely yes, respect is earned and not given... you can literally kill someone if you fuck up as a nurse, so you don't pass orientation until we can be certain you are safe and will ask for help if you don't know how to do something. This is not all that different than the decision making required to pass an Avi 3 class. I am a strong, outspoken, opinionated woman, but I read her instructor critique as a legitimate concern. The reason she took the class was to learn, but it sounds pretty clear that she wasn't being a good learner, male or female. In the nursing realm, it's the men I have the most issue with this personality trait, but gender aside, it doesn't make it any less dangerous. Also, give some respect to guides. The training and certifications required to be a guide are difficult and take a huge amount of time and experience to accomplish. Just because she has the skiing skills to ski with guide doesn't put her on the same knowledge base as a guide. That's no disrespect to CG, it's just a fact. I ski and climb with guide friends, and would never presume to be equal to them in terms of overall knowledge just because in some arenas I may have the skill to keep up.

The second part of the critique makes sense to me as well. As everyone has said before, having a large media presence lends itself to criticism and trolls. That does not mean that criticism and trolling are acceptable, but the more attention you give to trolls the more power they hold, and the more they have to gain from their shitty actions. I'd wager that 99% of the people on this thread, or in the world that know who CG is would not have wasted time disputing her accomplishment... but now here we are wondering about it. No benefit has come from bringing light the handful of assholes questioning. I don't doubt that Angel Collinson has trolls and people who give her shit all the time. Rather than waste time giving the trolls power and casting doubt, she just skis like a badass and does her thing. Her accomplishments speak for themselves, and anyone who disputes it can suck it. To each their own I suppose, but I feel like in the long run this just invites more feedback, trolling, and criticism.
    boom, mike drop.

Funny how a bunch of dudes are so dialed in on the female experience... lol...
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Funny how a bunch of dudes are so dialed in on the female experience... lol...
    they all have wives or gfs so they’re basically experts

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    funny thing for me is 21 seasons and ive yet to hear 1 person ever say anything bad, unprofessional, sexist or anythin other than praise for Evelyn Lees
    I'm sure she has had to deal with her share of sexism but i have a feeling she dealt with it in her own humble badass way earning the respect she garners
    and there are quite a few more like her.
    CG is a badass imo skiing bad ass techinical lines with style makes you so
    i think the apparent, to some, lack of humility or perceived lack of humility and possibilty of being to partial to blame for this victimized theme that seems to be prevelent in her doings of things
    i wasnt to surprised mrs. sfb characterized the article as me too 1st world sour grapes social media meh
    and reminded her why she let that subscription lapse
    i was surprised she suggested she should of used a more modest picture
    or zipped the gucci up a few inches past potential puppy dumpin level
    when playing the sexism card
    im not hatin on her
    more a minion of a rather small e-slice of the social media world populated by smack yackin nun fisters and fawn maulers, some of who are my friends continuing calling things as he sees em amungst 10k of other musings ,drival,and bullshit
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    There's a difference between victim blaming and pointing out the entirely predictable consequences of someone's actions.

Is it CG's fault that assholes exist on the internet? Of course not.

Should CG have known that, as a public figure on the internet, she would almost certainly incur some negative attention at some point in her career? Yes, absolutely. Just like literally ever other public figure, regardless of gender, occupation, etc. It just comes with the territory.
    There is certainly truth to the fact that public figures on the internet all get negative attention, trolls, etc. But those of you that seem to think that it happens "regardless of gender", to all public figures equally, you are seriously delusional.

I'm not commenting on the overall argument here because I'm not even sure what the argument is, and know very little about CG save what gets posted here, but what I do see is a bunch of dudes claiming that women and men in public positions get shit on equally, and that seems like something only a man would say.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    ...what I do see is a bunch of dudes claiming that women and men in public positions get shit on equally, and that seems like something only a man would say.
    Yep. And they’re saying it again and again, like they’re having some trouble getting over something.

There is certainly truth to the fact that public figures on the internet all get negative attention, trolls, etc. But those of you that seem to think that it happens "regardless of gender", to all public figures equally, you are seriously delusional.
    Of course they don't all get shit equally. Some get way more than others, and I have no doubt that, on average, women get more shit than men.

And the ones that get the most shit are generally the ones talking about social issues. While those issues certainly warrant discussion, stirring the pot means taking more shit.

None of that changes the fact that leading an online public life, regardless of gender, means you can expect to take some shit.

And for whatever it's worth, whenever I'm in a drunken, trolling kind of mood, I only troll males. #doingmypart

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'm not commenting on the overall argument here because I'm not even sure what the argument is, and know very little about CG save what gets posted here, but what I do see is a bunch of dudes claiming that women and men in public positions get shit on equally, and that seems like something only a man would say.
    agree 100%

I agree that everyone that puts themselves out there gets trolled at some point but for sure women get way more than they put out- creepy shit too that men don't as often have to deal with [[shudder]]

I also think that she is badass and should probably pay zero attention to the online haters bc as was mentioned prior, it just gives more legitimacy to them imo
    maybe point out some of the crazier stuff to be shot down by your soldiers and ignore/ downplay the rest

But also her being outspoken about political issues etc is just her being her individual self. She would most likely be a political warrior or someone posting their opinions everywhere on social media even if she weren't more in the limelight
    Some people dig that and some dont but I doubt you'll get her to ever rile down so just unfollow or skim by because that's the only answer for the people who don't dig it
    I skim by a lot but enjoy her pics and journeys and I like her pluck

My work mentor says pay attn to what you like about a person and ignore the rest. it also has proved a handy instagram scanning strategy for me
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    more a minion of a rather small e-slice of the social media world populated by smack yackin nun fisters and fawn maulers, some of who are my friends continuing calling things as he sees em amungst 10k of other musings ,drival,and bullshit

“smack yackin nun fisters and fawn maulers”

You Makes me want to rub myself with a Spade designer scarf
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by wyeaster View Post
    i took good people on both sides as a reference to the celebrity apprentice after charlottesville. in this case, i was referring to men in general, not tgr. basically, every woman i know who has worked for any substantial time in a field dominated by men (so many!) has had to deal with some version of what cg is dealing with. men don't and many don't believe it and/or mimimize it and/or blame it on the woman when presented with any possible evidence of it. i'm not happy to be part of that brick wall.
    Ya dump bs reference. That wasn’t directed at you. Directed mostly at the repetitive conjecture in this thread. Shit is boring. I follow her but I like most any skiing pics. Impressive how enthused she is at 3 or 4 am. As for her guiding/forecasting skills, like pretty much everyone in here, I don’t know her so I can’t comment. I will say the industry has been an old boys club but in the last number of years I’ve seen a lot of highly respected women in the industry(guiding, forecasting snow science). Maybe that’s locally but I don’t see them taking a back seat at this point. I don’t think it’s 50/50 yet but I think gender stats locally for touring are a 60/40 split(men/women). A lot better than government at this point

Quote Originally Posted by lpkdz View Post
    Disagree.. it doesn't have all that much to do with gender. I agree that woman have a more difficult time in general, but trolling happens to all people in the public eye, male or female. It is a choice to put yourself out there, to have an instagram following of 150,000, and to make your living being a "public figure" or "pro". There are plenty of exceedingly accomplished athletes of both genders that don't choose to make their living off of their image and lifestyle. There is nothing wrong with either choice, it's your life, but if you choose the public life, don't be surprised by what comes along with it. Just as a professional model will get judged by their looks, a professional athlete is going to get judged by their skill. You are inviting scrutiny because you feel you measure up to the best of the best. Being in the public eye provokes ridicule that is both legitimate and illegitimate. While the bullshit sucks and isn't right, it doesn't discriminate... everyone experiences it. Spending significant amounts of time and energy acting surprised and offended that this is the reality of the public game only provokes more ridicule. If you consider CG the victim of her own lifestyle choice, then I guess every public figure is a victim.
    Just checked back into this thread after a couple day haitus from tgr. Whether I was drunk or sober posting here, lpkdz has distilled my thoughts on this subject most excellently and stated it better than I could.

Thanks!
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

chomp chomp "power cookies"

So who are the two doofus's to her right giving her the side eyes?
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Not bunion View Post
    Looks like they are just listening, but okay. At least media310 didn't post click bait for once.

Jeremy Jones and I dunno.

Two other people who spend their lives burning Jet A to promote things to sell, and are worried about carbon emissions.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Unless you're going to posthumously shit on Doug Coombs for his hundreds of Heli-assisted first descents, STFU about Caroline taking some wedding photos next to a chopper. I mean shit, the first ski descent of the north face of Mont Blanc was done with a Heli drop at the top.

And if you want shit on Coombs, then you're angling for a fight.

lighten up Francis

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Unless you're going to posthumously shit on Doug Coombs for his hundreds of Heli-assisted first descents, STFU about Caroline taking some wedding photos next to a chopper. I mean shit, the first ski descent of the north face of Mont Blanc was done with a Heli drop at the top.

And if you want shit on Coombs, then you're angling for a fight.
    Don't think I recall coombs necessarily fighting for the environment on a political scale. That's the hippocrate part. Cut your carbon emissions while I fly up to snap a couple pics in the mtns for my wedding.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Two other people who spend their lives burning Jet A to promote things to sell, and are worried about carbon emissions.
    They're not paying for it tho... POW took in $1,711,077 and spent $1,563,885 in 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    lighten up Francis
    Pipe down, JONG.

And to Skidog, I still have the promotional VHS's(!) that I sent away for from Coombs' heli-skiing op when I was a middle schooler living in New Jersey. Even back then, they dedicated a few minutes to greenwashing and sustainability, as a heli gets gassed up in the background.

I don't particularly like Caroline, but I've been giving this some more thought in the context of freeride/big mountain skiing over the last 30 years. Our sport was, and will continue to be, resource intensive. No two ways about that, even if you only earn your turns. Get off your high horses and let a woman who skis harder and is more attractive and successful than myself or any of you enjoy her moment in the sun before age and/or injuries start to take that away from her.

^ I have to admit that’s a brutal assessment, but I largely agree

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Fuck, that’s twice I find myself agreeing with glademaster. In the same thread ffs.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Our sport was, and will continue to be, resource intensive. No two ways about that, even if you only earn your turns. .
    I don't believe this sport needs to continue to be resource intensive and I think the ski industry could more towards more renewable resources and lighten it's carbon foot print. In fact if the sport stands a chance at existing it should change as soon as possible. But humans are lazy, investment in greener energy sources has an expensive entry fee hurdle. climate change activism only matters when it's convenient. No one wants to change their lifestyle including the athlete ambassadors at POW.

I think it's a critique of POW as a whole that as long as their "ambassadors" continue to not live up to the standards they preach than the whole movement seems disingenuous to many and doesn't inspire change. It downplays the importance of finding for solutions for climate change when your activists in the spotlight are choosing to fly around in a helicopter to get engagement photos.

Many POW activists don't compell me to make meaningful lifestyle changes of my own. Actually they have the opposite effect in that I feel a sense of urgency to try to do all these rad things they do before winters are short and less snowy. I'm not going to give you a pat on the back if you want to be labeled an activist if you can't even live by the words you preach and that's how many of POW activism comes across. It's lacks authenticity in fact in only seems important to many of their ambassador's as part of their "branding."

But I guess at least they're trying, right?