Page 17 of 45 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    Fully agree raising awareness is important... but some self reflection is needed here for so many of these athletes, again, your entire job is selling consumer goods in a sport affluent people enjoy so that you can enjoy the travel/sport lifestyle.
    Probably most accurate when read on its own: the entire job is selling stuff. Raising awareness is a means to an end, which is selling stuff. That works, so who are the hypocrites?

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Those are for bribing the speed police bro. Guys are crooked af.
    I heard one of them raided a smoke shack and confiscated all of Djongo's weed.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

I had a few too many beers one night and emailed Patagonia regarding Caroline's heli assisted wedding photo shoot asking if Patagonia was aware and if so doesn't that seem hypocritical. Here is their response:

Hi Scott,

Thank you for reaching out about this. I checked with our Ambassador Marketing team and they confirmed that Patagonia was not aware of this photoshoot when it happened, as this was a private and personal situation for Caroline’s wedding photos. Caroline has spent 99% of her career outside of helicopters and off of snowmobiles when accessing the backcountry. She is well aware of our efforts and commitment to use human powered methods when pursuing our chosen activities. Thank you again for reaching out.

With Respect,

Jeremy

Patagonia Pro Customer Service

Seems like an entirely appropriate response.

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    Seems like an entirely appropriate response.
    Yeah, I thought it was pretty balanced. The fact that they actually even looked into it and responded at all impressed me as much as anything. I let him know it still struck me as odd but that I appreciated the response, will continue to buy their stuff, and appreciate the global efforts. I didn't tell him that I'm a dirtbag and only buy their products if they are discounted though, ha.

I'm a hypocrite too, just like all of us, and get that. I'm not a global face of activism though and think I would put a bit more thought into things than what was exhibited with the wedding shoot. It's been beat pretty well to death now, but thought I should at least relay the response to my email.

Internet skiing is fucking ironic isn’t it

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERIOR View Post
    Internet skiing is fucking ironic isn’t it
    yup

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    I had a few too many beers one night and emailed Patagonia regarding Caroline's heli assisted wedding photo shoot asking if Patagonia was aware and if so doesn't that seem hypocritical. Here is their response:[/I]
    I am wondering what you hoped to achieve by emailing Padagucci? Was it just drunk curiosity?

Pretty cool they actually responded but considering my dealings with their GOV accounts people over the years I am not surprised.
    A woman reported to police at 6:30 p.m. that she was being "smart-mouthed."

yo last week was about climate change. This week its about buying new gear, the future is here and its light and you NEED to buy it!

Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    yo last week was about climate change. This week its about buying new gear, the future is here and its light and you NEED to buy it!

Yep, dripping piss from the poopybrite™ marketing today

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd mate View Post
    I am wondering what you hoped to achieve by emailing Padagucci? Was it just drunk curiosity?

Pretty cool they actually responded but considering my dealings with their GOV accounts people over the years I am not surprised.
    Someone needs to poke the elephant once in a while to keep awareness on the radar. It's not in the same category as Dean Potter, but I don't think it hurts to keep them aware of this kind of stuff and that some might be bothered by it even if it was on personal time. Or we could all just swallow whatever we're fed I suppose.

edit to add: And I agree with others that there are male athletes that are just as deserving of a call out (or not, depending on your view), the Caroline wedding thing just happened to be on my mind that particular night.
    Last edited by 3PinGrin; 10-02-2019 at 05:35 PM.

A hypocrite needs to poke the elephant once in a while to keep them amused.
    FIFY

edit to add: And I agree with others that there are male athletes that are just as deserving of a call out (or not, depending on your view), the Caroline wedding thing just happened to be on my mind that particular night.
    Please post the contents of your emails to those male athletes’ sponsors and their response.

I’m sure your email and observations totally rocked Patagonia and prompted hours of serious discussion and reflection.

I addressed both of those, one further up and one in the post you just quoted from.
    Can you direct me to where you posted your emails, and the sponsor’s response?

I think you get my point?

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    FIFY

Please post the contents of your emails to those male athletes’ sponsors and their response.

I’m sure your email and observations totally rocked Patagonia and prompted hours of serious discussion and reflection.
    I addressed your FIFY and second point already, one further up and one in the post you just quoted from. And yes, the goal was to rock Patagonia...... or not.

Are you missing the few too many beers part?

Name:  798647f64775ac6fc571a0a93fc95293.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  25.9 KB

Are you drunk now?

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Are you drunk now?
    No, I'm an alcoholic and 1 week sober (this time). Feel better?

No, I'm an alcoholic and 1 week sober (this time). Feel better?
    Being drunk would be an explanation, I’ll just assume a different one. Congrats though, and best wishes.

Holy shit. I just read a little bit of this thread and good god the level of internet elitism is high in this one. I mean, emailing a sponsor to complain about someone using a helicopter for their wedding. That's a level of creepiness, snitchiness (?) and just plain weirdness I didn't know possible. Fuckin eh guys. I've been a maggot for more than a decade, seen all the weirdness and oddness and trolling of this little place but this is on a new damn level. Wow.

I'll just say this, you guys are all concerned about optics and optics only. A pro skier flew to Europe for his/her job and bam, climate activist card is canceled. I mean, would you object to an abolitionist wearing a cotton shirt? I mean, similar theory here, no other option to get a cotton shirt is slave-era America than from the slave riddled American south. Should the abolitionist import a silk shirt before calling for, fighting for or saying that slavery is bad and we should probably do something about it? Would you tell that abolitionist they're a hypocrite and can't seriously argue for the end of slavery because they own a cotton shirt? I know you assholes will try to anatomize this statement and argue about things as trivial as the phonetics of the argument but seriously. What you're calling for out of pro skiers is that the only way they can be activists is to quit their jobs entirely...probably die too. Because that's seriously the only way every climate activist in the world isn't a hypocrite. Then you might listen I guess.

Or okay, you can do it like Chris and Greg, who I think are doing an amazing job doing rad stuff with a low carbon footprint. But this is the argument I always present to Chris. You think we're gonna convince 6-7 billion people around the world to drastically alter their own lives, go vegetarian, stop having kids, buy expensive electric cars, vow not to fly home for the holidays, go on their required work trips or take that dream heli trip they've been saving up for for a decade? Fuck no. Most of the developed world is trying to make some coin, live in comfort, have a family and retire in comfort. Putting a $25k solar kit on your house isn't usually in those plans. Well instead if it's economically beneficial to do that. Which is exactly what a lot of activists are calling for. To incentivize an economic platform that makes it economically beneficial for people to put those solar panels up, drive an electric car. For incentivizing an economic platform that rewards industry in economic terms for moving to green technology, sustainable energy and environmentally friendly systems. They're arguing for the highest levels of government to quit subsidizing and favoring oil, for investing in green technology, for helping foster systematic change that makes everyone better off economically because of (not in spite of) change to renewable energy sources and to environmentally friendlier economic system.

I've never seen a single pro skier say to their audience, "hey guys, you should stop driving your car...okay I'm off to Nepal for an Instagram vacation!" They're not asking for individuals to alter their lives but not do it themselves. They're simply fighting in DC, at the local government level and for getting other activists out there to demand systematic change.

On a personal level. Does it suck I have to go to Europe this week for business meetings to secure funding for The Fifty, to work on new products and to work with my European sponsors? Hell yeah it does, both cause I have to go to Europe for only 4 days and sit in offices the whole time and because I know how harmful it is for the environment. Do I have to do it. Yeah, I do. Doing it is part of how I can afford to live while keeping a job that is insanely competitive, has little to no job security and currently no 401k program. Will I still be an activist for climate change. Fuck yeah. Because I don't have another option currently to get to Europe for my job in a carbon neutral way. Maybe in 50 years that will come but getting there doesn't start with a bunch of internet QB's calling pro skiers hypocrites.

(end note- yeah, we've asked many times to just web seminar these meetings.)
    (end end note- Caroline has done more to create positive change environmentally than probably any one person here and enough to off set yearly heli and plane trips...)
    [/END RANT]

Careful Cody or I'll email Arcade and get your sponsorship pulled!

A very well written post and perspective. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    Holy shit. I just read a little bit of this thread and good god the level of internet elitism is high in this one. I mean, emailing a sponsor to complain about someone using a helicopter for their wedding. That's a level of creepiness, snitchiness (?) and just plain weirdness I didn't know possible. Fuckin eh guys. I've been a maggot for more than a decade, seen all the weirdness and oddness and trolling of this little place but this is on a new damn level. Wow.
    Yes, I got drunk and did something I wouldn't have sober. I'm not a creep, I'm not a snitch, (I am weird) but whatever, carry on as you all wish. There was no ill intent at all for Caroline, I respect her as an athlete. Just something I saw as concerning to me personally. Most people never do shit about anything, and it was something I just felt like doing based on a cloudy thought process at the time.

Never should have posted the response or brought it up I guess, but I did and I owned it. More than a lot would do.

Yes, I got drunk and did something I wouldn't have sober. I'm not a creep, I'm not a snitch, (I am weird) but whatever, carry on as you all wish. There was no ill intent at all for Caroline, I respect her as an athlete. Just something I saw as concerning to me personally. Most people never do shit about anything, and it was something I just felt like doing based on a cloudy thought process at the time.

Never should have posted the response or brought it up I guess, but I did and I owned it. More than a lot would do.

Cool. No ill will to you personally or judgement at large for that. Just wanted to call the action out for what it was to hopefully nip that trend in the bud. Good on ya for owning up to it mang. I try to do the same with myself.

More than anything people gotta realize we're all in this shit storm together and nitpicking each other ain't gonna change shit...and what we need is some pretty big change. There is even some investigative journalism that has found the nitpicking of individuals as a promoted tactic spurned by API (American Petroleum Institute) PR and media campaigns. It's the age old strategy, divide and conquer, and they helped develop and promote it.

Lastly, pro skier's are well aware of their hypocrisy. Well aware of how lucky they are to have the jobs they do and do it in a way that doesn't help the environment. We talk about it all the time and mostly have gotten to the level that it's better to be called hypocrites on the internet than not fighting at all. But I will say, people calling them hypocrites aren't helping. Just let it go, realize we're all friggin hypocrites, we all want some better environmental change and let's rallying together to do something about it instead of pointing fingers at each other.

I liken climate change to a forest fire and people arguing about how the other person isn't spitting hard enough to put it out. Meanwhile there is a few people with access to the fire trucks, water hoses, fire retardant dumping planes and the money and resources to get them all together to put the damn fire out. You just might have to take a break from spitting, from pointing out who isn't spitting hard enough and demand those few people with the keys to trucks and planes to do something about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post

I'll just say this, you guys are all concerned about optics and optics only. A pro skier flew to Europe for his/her job and bam, climate activist card is canceled.
    I won't hold it against you for having an emotional reaction; but that's not what everyone said.

Some people did take the position you identify. But not all.

There's a bunch of other points, like Caroline being singled out because she's a she when in fact there are more guys being "hypocritical" in this regard if people are looking at it that way. So why no threads about guys?

Personally, I think the blame game is stupid. I can't really be as groovy green as I want and I think that the drive to more environmentally friendly energy sources is an opportunity for economic growth. At the same time, being preached at by people about saving the environment does get annoying.

I figure I'll try to fix my shit first before I go start trying to sell my vibe to others.

Ski Here Now.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post

Ski Here Now.
    Aye.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    I won't hold it against you for having an emotional reaction; but that's not what everyone said.

Some people did take the position you identify. But not all.

There's a bunch of other points, like Caroline being singled out because she's a she when in fact there are more guys being "hypocritical" in this regard if people are looking at it that way. So why no threads about guys?

Personally, I think the blame game is stupid. I can't really be as groovy green as I want and I think that the drive to more environmentally friendly energy sources is an opportunity for economic growth. At the same time, being preached at by people about saving the environment does get annoying.

I figure I'll try to fix my shit first before I go start trying to sell my vibe to others.

Ski Here Now.
    Yeah meant, all not in "all" of you, more "all the people nitpicking people climate activism cards". So my apologies not that.

Oh and I'm actually with you on the preaching. I personally speak very little and very rarely about it on public platforms. I choose to work on the political side locally, donate money where I can and generally be quiet about it on social media. But that's how I choose to do it. I actually had a lengthy discussion with Caroline about that very topic last week. We differ on our opinion and method but ultimately are trying to do the same thing.

Oh and I just got loud here because of that one action I witnessed. That crossed a line in my book and it's already been put to bed. So all good with that.

Anyways, carry on figuring out whatever everyone is trying to figure out!

S'Ok, it's a difficult position philosophically. We're all responsible for the mess, we all contribute to pollution and have larger than even average American carbon footprint, let alone average human carbon foot print.

Own that.

Then get on with trying to advance better energy sources.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<