Check Out Our Shop
Page 47 of 49 FirstFirst ... 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,175 of 1225
  1. #1151
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    O+Positive
    Posts
    2,980
    Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    Isn’t someone who lobby’s Congress a lobbyist?
    Read his post again.
    Montani Semper Liberi

  2. #1152
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Wasatch Back: 7000'
    Posts
    13,057
    Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    I know Gleich has a long history of lobbying congress on environmental issues and has been involved in Utah politics for a long time. I'd rather have a smart person who I agree with on issues than some idiot who's held office for years on the back of shitty opinions and lobbyists.
    The extent of her "experience"
    Biography
    Gleich was born in Minnesota. She and her family moved to the state of Utah at the age of 15, where she developed an interest in skiing. Both of her parents are physicians at the University of Utah. Gleich decided to become an activist during her senior year in college after enrolling in a course on American national government. She is now an advocate for environmental justice and climate reform.[1][2] Some of her work was cited by Protect Our Winters.[2]
    She is a supporter of the American Public Lands and Waters Climate Solution Act of 2019, and testified in front of Congress in support of the bill.[3]
    In addition to her activism, Gleich is a professional skier and mountaineer. In 2017 she became the first woman and fourth skier to ski all 90 lines of the Chuting Gallery, a series of skiing slopes in the Wasatch Mountains.[4] She summited Mt. Everest with her husband in 2019, in an effort to promote gender equality in sports.[5] On January 8, 2024, Gleich announced her candidacy for the 2024 United States Senate election in Utah.[5]

    Footnote 3:
    PODCAST: CAROLINE GLEICH EXPLORES ENVIRONMENTAL JUSTICE ACTIVISM
    Jun 17, 2020 By: Katie Lozancich Follow
    1 0
    Views1,779 Comments0

    These are tumultuous times. If you’re itching to do something, you’re likely asking the same questions as skier, mountaineer, and activist Caroline Gleich: what can we do to advocate for environmental justice for all, fight for underrepresented voices, and protect public lands? There’s no straightforward answer, but Gleich sat down U.S. Representative Raul Grijalva to explore the potential solutions. Grijalva serves as the U.S. Representative for Arizona's 3rd congressional district and has been working in public service for the last four decades. His most recent work on Capitol Hill involves serving as the chair of the House Natural Resources Committee, and he hopes to pass legislation protecting our nation’s natural treasures for generations to come. His bill The American Public Lands and Waters Climate Solutions Act (HR 5435), aims to completely reduce all greenhouse emissions on public lands and waters by 2040.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

  3. #1153
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    your vacation
    Posts
    4,774
    Stoked she is running power to her that she has the balls to step up no need to agree with her it's the motivation for change that matters

    Fuck all you boomers and asshat men who can't handle a chick stepping up to the plate and you can't admit it

    The current fuck show of old people rolling with the status quo needs to end now

    So shut the fuck up old white men boomers no one gives a fuck what you think anymore

    She has stoke that's what matters

    Sent from my SM-A546V using Tapatalk

  4. #1154
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Was UT, AK, now MT
    Posts
    13,593
    Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    The creeper vibe from old men in here is, creepy
    Bucks is correct
    Go to the “teachers behaving badly” thread. Same vibe.

  5. #1155
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Wasatch Back: 7000'
    Posts
    13,057
    ....although, I don't know much about her rivals Archie Williams III, other than he works for Geneva Rock and has run 2 unsuccessful congressional campaigns, or Laird Hamblin, other than he has a horrible singing voice. Not so surprisingly, Caroline Gleich has raised over $300K (probably from rich Parkites who would vote for a moose, if it was running on the Dem. ticket).

    Utah cannot get serious about actually placing democrats in the senate until its citizens are presented with viable candidates who are well versed in numerous issues that confront this country. In my mind, merely advocating Protect Our Winters is not that person....but I'm confident that she will find someone in The Colony to host a $1500/plate dinner upon her behalf. I like Caroline, but I do not like her for the senate. If she is serious about politics, and is interested in learning how things work in D.C., then maybe she should run for the House instead.
    Last edited by schindlerpiste; 04-17-2024 at 09:44 AM.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

  6. #1156
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Park City
    Posts
    885
    Love all the name calling when somebody posts something that is not agreeable to others. If I'm not mistaken, this is the same forum where "nude pics of your sister/girlfriend/mother" is acceptable hazing.

    Fact of the matter is that Caroline Gleich is annoying to some people or a lot of people... and it's not because she's a girl/woman/etc. It's because she constantly has to remind the world that she is a "pro skier". And she just has an annoying vibe... She has no experience in government - "testifying in congress" about the glacier you flew over while "pro skiing" doesn't really count as experience. When you're putting yourself out there like her, she opens herself up to criticism, praise, awful comments, etc. That's what comes with a public life these days.... It's not right by any means, but it's reality.

    I wouldn't vote for her solely because I don't think she'd be able to get anything done. Maybe her heart is in the right place but unfortunately, to get anything done in government you have to be able to understand and play the give and take game that is part and parcel in governing.
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

  7. #1157
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    on the banks of Fish Creek
    Posts
    7,615
    can she roll a suv?

  8. #1158
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,662
    Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    Stoked she is running power to her that she has the balls to step up no need to agree with her it's the motivation for change that matters

    Fuck all you boomers and asshat men who can't handle a chick stepping up to the plate and you can't admit it

    The current fuck show of old people rolling with the status quo needs to end now

    So shut the fuck up old white men boomers no one gives a fuck what you think anymore

    She has stoke that's what matters

    Sent from my SM-A546V using Tapatalk
    Preach it Fred. She's way the fuck better than Mike Lee 2.0 or a lot of the other asshats Utah seems to always try to foist upon the rest of America.

  9. #1159
    Join Date
    Mar 2022
    Location
    Deep in the heart of....
    Posts
    714
    Quote Originally Posted by TheK12 View Post
    Love all the name calling when somebody posts something that is not agreeable to others. If I'm not mistaken, this is the same forum where "nude pics of your sister/girlfriend/mother" is acceptable hazing.

    Fact of the matter is that Caroline Gleich is annoying to some people or a lot of people... and it's not because she's a girl/woman/etc. It's because she constantly has to remind the world that she is a "pro skier". And she just has an annoying vibe... She has no experience in government - "testifying in congress" about the glacier you flew over while "pro skiing" doesn't really count as experience. When you're putting yourself out there like her, she opens herself up to criticism, praise, awful comments, etc. That's what comes with a public life these days.... It's not right by any means, but it's reality.

    I wouldn't vote for her solely because I don't think she'd be able to get anything done. Maybe her heart is in the right place but unfortunately, to get anything done in government you have to be able to understand and play the give and take game that is part and parcel in governing.
    Having experience in govt should not have to be a precursor to being electable. This whole post is exactly what fastfred is talking about lol.

  10. #1160
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    O+Positive
    Posts
    2,980
    Yeah, the disconnect here is staggering.
    Montani Semper Liberi

  11. #1161
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,988
    Seems like a person who would vote similar to me, and would push issues that i agree with. She also hasnt been charged with multiple felonies, isnt a conspiracy theorist, and isnt actively trying to undermine democracy or denigrate large classes of people. Matter of fact the worst you can really say about her is that her history of self-promotion is annoying and self aggrandizing (hint, thats what campaigning is, hint).

  12. #1162
    Join Date
    Mar 2022
    Location
    Deep in the heart of....
    Posts
    714
    Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Matter of fact the worst you can really say about her is that her history of self-promotion is annoying and self aggrandizing (hint, thats what campaigning is, hint).
    The cognitive dissonance around that fact is astonishing. Politicians campaigning is literally abject self promotion - look at me! I'm a politician! I want to make things better for you but except I'll vote against everyones interests and take money from lobbyists!

  13. #1163
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Before
    Posts
    28,110
    Helicopter weddings and loudmouth carbon footprints aside, just compare her with Marjorie Taylor Greene.

    'nuff said.

    Yes, she's annoying. Consider Ted Cruz.

    Inexperienced? I like AOC.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

  14. #1164
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    In the swamp
    Posts
    11,236
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Helicopter weddings and loudmouth carbon footprints aside, just compare her with Marjorie Taylor Greene.

    'nuff said.

    Yes, she's annoying. Consider Ted Cruz.

    Inexperienced? I like AOC.
    She and her husband ski in goofy matching outfits sometimes. Yuuuuuuck

  15. #1165
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Before
    Posts
    28,110
    Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    She and her husband ski in goofy matching outfits sometimes. Yuuuuuuck
    Does that mean you prefer Ted Cruz or John Neely Kennedy or MTG or Josh Hawley or Jim Jordan?

    I'd like to analyze based on the principle and be consistent about that.

    Yes, she's annoying like all Pro Bra Babes and Pro Blah Bros, but compared to politicians listed, pales IMHO.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

  16. #1166
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Bottom feeding
    Posts
    10,901
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Does that mean you prefer Ted Cruz or John Neely Kennedy or MTG or Josh Hawley or Jim Jordan?

    I'd like to analyze based on the principle and be consistent about that.

    Yes, she's annoying like all Pro Bra Babes and Pro Blah Bros, but compared to politicians listed, pales IMHO.
    Right?
    JFC
    She wants to clean air and water, and the government to stay out of women’s bodies. God she must be horrible.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

  17. #1167
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    13,971
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Does that mean you prefer Ted Cruz or John Neely Kennedy or MTG or Josh Hawley or Jim Jordan?

    I'd like to analyze based on the principle and be consistent about that.

    Yes, she's annoying like all Pro Bra Babes and Pro Blah Bros, but compared to politicians listed, pales IMHO.
    He's in CO - he ain't gonna even have the opportunity to vote for her.

  18. #1168
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    In the swamp
    Posts
    11,236
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Does that mean you prefer Ted Cruz or John Neely Kennedy or MTG or Josh Hawley or Jim Jordan?

    I'd like to analyze based on the principle and be consistent about that.

    Yes, she's annoying like all Pro Bra Babes and Pro Blah Bros, but compared to politicians listed, pales IMHO.
    Oh I’m with you on that.

  19. #1169
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    5,255
    I've been following her now for a few months on the Instagram and ya know, I kind of like her. Sure she isn't the hottest skier out there but somehow has obtained the "pro" skier status and yeah, she has the luxury to be chillin at the top of Maslow's pyramid which I could easily feel envious of and talk shit about her but she's not just some trust funder skiing around in a ski town wasting her life away (not that that's all bad either). Instead she's motivated to do good with her advantages and I gotta support that. She is a bit nerdy and I like that too! She doesn't give a f what people think and she's brave enough to put herself out there. Cool man.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

  20. #1170
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    the LCC
    Posts
    1,206
    She rubbed me wrong outta the gate as a youngster.
    Never has gained my respect.

    Not that it matters in a state that votes 70 some % R.
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

  21. #1171
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,819
    So the ad she did BITD for Alta with the wedding dress & mad goggle tan staring you down every time you exited the canyon didn't help?

  22. #1172
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Sandy
    Posts
    14,155
    All of this arguing is moot. She’s a D. We are in Utah. You can play whatever game you’d like but it’s a 100% waste of time and money to vote for her or send her money.

    She
    Will
    Not
    Win

    It’s that easy. End of story.

    I will not vote for her for a variety of reasons. None of which matter. See above.

  23. #1173
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    关你屁事
    Posts
    9,702
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Helicopter weddings and loudmouth carbon footprints aside, just compare her with Marjorie Taylor Greene.

    'nuff said.

    Yes, she's annoying. Consider Ted Cruz.

    Inexperienced? I like AOC.
    Ted’s an abject douchebag, which is highlighted by his education and experience, that he utterly ignore to spew stupid bullshit for clicks and cash because The guy who took a semester long course on Marxism with 4 people in college knows what Marxism is.



    and lobbyists lobby, ie they use connections and networks to influence policymakers (members, staff) for cash. Testifying before Congress and writing letters is what activists/random do.

  24. #1174
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    11,031
    Quote Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
    that these dead shall not have died in vain– that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth
    I don't get to vote in UT but it's refreshing to see someone not related to politics stepping in to face off with the pasties who grew up in government standing on a platform she believes in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

  25. #1175
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Park City
    Posts
    885
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuntmonkey View Post
    Having experience in govt should not have to be a precursor to being electable. This whole post is exactly what fastfred is talking about lol.
    I'm not even white or old... so much for what you know or what Fast Fred knows. But go ahead and keep making assumptions and see how far that gets you.
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •