Page 9 of 45 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by S_jenks View Post
    Wow, this thread.

Beyond the discussions surrounding sexism vs. being unprepared for avvy 3 course, I do wonder how valid the 'social media' angle is when evaluating a person's merits in the backcountry.

The rise of social media in skiing/snowboarding over the past decade has been staggering, and having a presence on platforms like Instagram is not uncommon for amateur and pro shredders alike. In some ways it has been good at garnering exposure for achievements, advancing narratives on environmental protection, and connecting people across large oceans.

But I've been constantly nagged about the 'pro' side of social media, and it's role as a moral hazard in the backcountry. It became very apparent during my college years in Bozeman, where I would often find myself traveling the backcountry ith people who were there primarily to 'get the shot' and 'post it up later'. In more than a couple instances there would be unconformable push by those people to ski in areas that others felt were not safe, as the desire for 'online exposure' was blinding them to the hazards present. Never caught in a slide because of it, but it was never a fun dynamic to have in a group.

It got to the point where I had to start getting harsh about it, and ended up cutting out some bc partners because they were so focuses on filming and shooting. They were chasing their own vanity, and that made for a dangerous bias when decision-time came.

So beyond any question of sexism or general avvy abilites- is it wrong for an instructor to take into account this aspect of social media, given that it may show tendencies and decision-making that go against safe backcountry travel practices? It shouldn't be the reason a person is failed, but is it to be completely ignored when the person has a large and well-known social media presence?

just a thought.
    ^^^this

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    It's also *possible* these comments were made in attempt to help her succeed in the future. I don't think they reek of either bias or sexism without more context. And since we weren't there, we just don't know.

Let's put aside the fact that it was Gleich and consider a scenario with an imaginary male participant: Imagine you're an Avy3 instructor and a male ski model turned pro skier with a huge social media following and impressive ski resume takes your class and is pretty incompetent/unprepared and simultaneously vocal and also defensive about his skills? Wouldn't you at least *want* to say something to get the person to look inward and change the way he approaches the mountains so he can stay safe and be more prepared to pass in the future? Wouldn't you want to say something like

And none of those comments would come from a place of sexism or even resentment.

It also seems the guide comment got blown out of proportion -- if someone primarily gets out with people more experienced than him/herself, regardless of whether those people are guides or friends, he/she might have a fair number of accomplishments to his/her name without the knowledge/skills to do them solo. I think that's the point the instructor was trying to make. There's a big difference between skiing something (or climbing or anything outside) where you are the leader versus when someone else is the leader.

Note: I know myself well enough to understand that I'm not a very politically correct person, I don't like to sugar coat things, and I'm also not an experienced instructor/educator, so I would discuss with others (especially my wife) exactly how I gave that sort feedback so it would be well received and not dismissed as some sort of bias. I'd certainly avoid giving feedback that stated or implied the person had hired a guide or gotten out with more experienced people in the past because it's irrelevant, even if I had first-hand knowledge that it was true.

Again, I don't know Gleich's ski resume (and I certainly don't know her personally), so I'm not trying to say she hasn't skied major stuff solo or as the leader. Obviously, it was stupid to put those things in writing, but if she was as incompetent or unprepared as telefreewasatch says, it's possible they were just trying to get her to change her perspective and gain more experience so she is more prepared for her next class.

All that said, sexism is huge in the backcountry. My wife experiences it routinely where she's the most educated person in the group (has her Avy 1-3, has pro-patrolled, assistant guided, etc), but she's ignored because she's the girl in a group of guys. And when she finally speaks up enough to be heard, she (understandably) comes across as pushy. When you're being ignored, it's near impossible to get people to listen and simultaneously not come across as pushy. It doesn't help that she's been injured lately, and people often mistakenly associate competence in decision making (weather, navigation, snow science, etc) with fitness and skiing ability.

PS. Gosh, it would be nice if english had a gender-neutral pronoun.
    ^^^and this

Why all the Caroline Gleich hate?

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    Meh. 'm sure she is a nice gal but this stinks of first world, rich, white girl problems. Cry me a fucking river.

Most people can't afford to "live the dream" and struggle just to get the bills paid....or much, much worse.

I'm pretty over the whole hero worship for pro skiers thing. I mean, it's practically impossible to get to the top of Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs so you can spend all of your time climbing mountains without a fat nest to start off with.
    This.

And how many preach incessantly about the environment, yet their carbon footprints are 30x larger with all the nonstop travel all over the fucking place.

With the cost of living in most ski towns, I can’t see how any of these pros make it by just on sponsorship money. There has to be a nest egg in there.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    This.

And how many preach incessantly about the environment, yet their carbon footprints are 30x larger with all the nonstop travel all over the fucking place.

With the cost of living in most ski towns, I can’t see how any of these pros make it by just on sponsorship money. There has to be a nest egg in there.
    And there isn't anything wrong with coming from money and having a good time, don't get me wrong, I don't want to come off like a jealous asshole but some of these kids sure could use a good dose of suffering and a serious reality check. #blessed ? Nah....Hows about you go pound sand with that BS ya damn kids.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

experts on avalanches, women AND their finances!! no wonder everybody here is so rich and happy!

Sent from my SM-J727V using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by wyeaster View Post
    experts on avalanches the monday morning after, not a clue about women AND their finances!! no wonder everybody here is within a wide range of incomes and happy!

Sent from my SM-J727V using TGR Forums mobile app
    FIFY
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    im celebrating 21 years of maritial spansership
    im roofin agains so i aint poor
    but im only a 21 seasoned backcountry journeyman
    id take avvy 3
    but it seems evident
    they dont give participation trophies
    RISE AND SHINE MY SJM WARRIORS
    THERE ARE WRONGS IN THE WORLD THAT NEED E-FIXINS
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

you guys that come in here rabidly defending CG crack me up. over the last couple pages has anyone actually tried to "knock her down a peg"? or just stated that you can't be a large player on social media (doesn't matter what genre) without catching some flack from trolls. or that the criticism she received from the proctor may have been constructive after she failed for not having the technical credentials.. basically the logical question that needs to be asked to attempt to understand both sides of the one sided story that we heard.

smjw gonna smjw and you might as well go rabid
    im in for $4.20 on a kick starter
    but imho she needs Taylor Swift social media marketing 1
    more than an avvi 3 do over
    Quote Originally Posted by telefreewasatch View Post

Interesting that he didn't know the range very well yet when he published; lots of classics aren't mentioned. Thank god.
    Wolvie is one place.
    in addition to all the sf meadows chutes sick gnars
    did i mention my spanser skied the crows feet
    and never even passed avvy1
    id give her props
    but she cried at least twice
    and dtm is my witness
    she did slay granny's and sushi
    probably another but she doesnt have a clit waggin list
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

I think lil mis cg could really use a deep introspective LSD experience to squash some of that ego that is holding her down and putting her in spots like this. Social media= Self serving ego stroking

If you all can’t see that successful women have to put up with this shit way more than successful men, then you are either dumb or willfully blind. Either way there’s no helping you.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    If you all can’t see that successful women have to put up with this shit way more than successful men, then you are either dumb or willfully blind. Either way there’s no helping you.
    absolutely. it's sad to be part of and to watch.

There’s good people, on both sides......

So lemme get this straight. cg calls a couple of local high level avy instructors out on Outside online. Hmmm. Was that the best way to handle her grievance?
    I bet these instructors had her best interests in mind. What was one of the evaluation comments? Mouth shut, mind open? Something like that.
    She shoulda taken some of their advice. Wonder if they're gonna want to give her another go round.
    I don't know if this is the best way to convince the local outdoor community of your good intent.
    Mind you, the only thing she focused her whining about was the "guiding element" of her trips.
    Even though you are left wondering if these were the guys showing bikini photos instead of pit profiles.
    The whine is strong with this one. As a father I would advise solving many problems outside of social media. Is that really the fame one wants?
    I want my daughter to emulate Angel.

Quote Originally Posted by telefreewasatch View Post
    So lemme get this straight. cg calls a couple of local high level avy instructors out on Outside online. Hmmm. Was that the best way to handle her grievance?
    This is what I was referring to earlier when I said I wish she was more quiet.

Also how in the actual fuck can someone compare black folks speaking out about getting murdered for being black to this privileged person complaining about anything?

I marched with my wife and daughter with a pussy hat on, and in support of black folks, by not for any CG issue.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    i encourage you to enhance yur social media justice warrior experience and join us IRMFL at bbi19 in carolines hood the satch
    hope full the baker bobs brings his better 1/2 and the ice women will be there and my spanser will be there
    you can meet super sucessful women who dont even need social media to do it
    feel free to bring yur e crush
    shes invited to
    #neverbeasgoodasbettydee
    #opensmouthandprovesitoften

i guess the only way to settle this is for her to start posting here

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    i encourage you to enhance yur social media justice warrior experience and join us IRMFL at bbi19 in carolines hood the satch
    hope full the baker bobs brings his better 1/2 and the ice women will be there and my spanser will be there
    you can meet super sucessful women who dont even need social media to do it
    feel free to bring yur e crush
    shes invited to
    #neverbeasgoodasbettydee
    #opensmouthandprovesitoften
    I will def be trying to make one of the BBIs this year to shred with mags and maybe sample some of the famous space chocolates.

Plenty of experience around badass women in male industries. Many who are on social media and many who are not. It’s these ladies that prove to me that sexist trolls or sexist trolls. My wife deals with it every day and I am real fucking sick of it.

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    I laughed

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    She’s Benny

The most badass bitch I ever met in the satch bc was Bob Athey. You wanna talk about WOW factor....

caroline, use all this great technology to your advantage:

download tor

use bitcoin

hire people w baseball bats.

problem. solved.

Hedy Lamarr....
    Last edited by snojones; 06-03-2018 at 09:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    caroline, use all this great technology to your advantage:

download tor

use bitcoin

hire people w baseball bats.

problem. solved.
    that is so sexist of you to imply she cant wield her own baseball bat

^ awesome. prob around big when it gets colder. see you!