Page 12 of 45 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    Has anyone pointed out that for distances of over 300 miles or so that air travel produces less co2?
    The issue isn't the ski areas, but how we go there and home.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

That's my jaded view above.

The counter argument is that on Thursday when those guys were up in front of congress, my 20 something year old co-workers shared the live broadcast and are obviously inspired by these athletes.

And I think they make a valid point that arguing how true to the cause someone is is a self defeating activity.

Statistically, the hypocrisy isn't in the travel so much, since driving back from AK would have generated more CO2 than flying, but in advocating for more consumption, for buying new stuff.
    So the disrespect is somewhat deserved, but for the wrong reasons.

As for Gleich per se, it sure seems like not so well veiled misogynism.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Pipe down, JONG.

And to Skidog, I still have the promotional VHS's(!) that I sent away for from Coombs' heli-skiing op when I was a middle schooler living in New Jersey. Even back then, they dedicated a few minutes to greenwashing and sustainability, as a heli gets gassed up in the background.

I don't particularly like Caroline, but I've been giving this some more thought in the context of freeride/big mountain skiing over the last 30 years. Our sport was, and will continue to be, resource intensive. No two ways about that, even if you only earn your turns. Get off your high horses and let a woman who skis harder and is more attractive and successful than myself or any of you enjoy her moment in the sun before age and/or injuries start to take that away from her.
    I have been behind her up til the recent pics. Sorry man just rubbed me the wrong way. I've met her many times over the years and supposed I'd consider her a good aquaintence, but we sure dont have to agree on everything. The pics and associating with the heli knucklehead just pushed it a bit far.

I get that they need to get to locations, to get and stay famous, so that their "message" has more meaning. Taking frivolous heli trips for 10 min photo ops, with a known tool who lands in Wilderness areas ruins that message.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    What recent pics are people talking about? Something deleted? I swear there were some pics of her wedding just in the last day or so on IG and they are gone now?

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    What recent pics are people talking about? Something deleted? I swear there were some pics of her wedding just in the last day or so on IG and they are gone now?
    Check the Wasatch thread

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Wow, I'm all caught up now. Can't make this shit up. I mean at least try to pretend to care about the environment in public and ride helos when not posting to instagram?

Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    I don't believe this sport needs to continue to be resource intensive and I think the ski industry could more towards more renewable resources and lighten it's carbon foot print. In fact if the sport stands a chance at existing it should change as soon as possible. But humans are lazy, investment in greener energy sources has an expensive entry fee hurdle. climate change activism only matters when it's convenient. No one wants to change their lifestyle including the athlete ambassadors at POW.

I think it's a critique of POW as a whole that as long as their "ambassadors" continue to not live up to the standards they preach than the whole movement seems disingenuous to many and doesn't inspire change. It downplays the importance of finding for solutions for climate change when your activists in the spotlight are choosing to fly around in a helicopter to get engagement photos.

Many POW activists don't compell me to make meaningful lifestyle changes of my own. Actually they have the opposite effect in that I feel a sense of urgency to try to do all these rad things they do before winters are short and less snowy. I'm not going to give you a pat on the back if you want to be labeled an activist if you can't even live by the words you preach and that's how many of POW activism comes across. It's lacks authenticity in fact in only seems important to many of their ambassador's as part of their "branding."

But I guess at least they're trying, right?
    QFT.
    Well said, er written.
    Now that Humptys put back together again, we ought to go touring, etc.
    Bet we'd agree on which way to go...
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

It’s all convenient activism. Another one that is super annoying is Sierra Quitiquit. During a two week trip to Chile to ski shitty snow last month, she posts nonstop about #plasticfreefriday as if that’s going to do anything. How about not traveling the world nonstop. I think that would be way more impactful than not using plastic straws.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    It’s all convenient activism. .
    I'd venture that 99.9% of the activism of you, me, everyone on this board could be derided as "convenient activism".

By the way, for your other example of a pro skier's convenient activism, you could have at least chosen a man. Sure seems like harping on the ladies if your only examples of this are women. Because lord knows that in the pro skiing world, more men are guilty of this than women (if only because they far outnumber the women).
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    I don't believe this sport needs to continue to be resource intensive and I think the ski industry could more towards more renewable resources and lighten it's carbon foot print.
    I'm sorry, but you're just wrong here. You can believe whatever the hell you want, but that doesn't make it a fact.

Unless you're out there earning your turns in animal skin clothing you hunted and produced yourself, on wooden skis (no plastic bases, metal edges or fiberglass or epoxy for you, you're "green" ), after walking to the ski hill on trails (can't be using paved roads, asphalt and concrete production are awfully resource intensive), you don't have a leg to stand on.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but carpooling up the canyon with three friends doesn't count as being green, because you're all heading up there with $5,000 worth of petroleum-derived clothing, skis and boots. There's probably some metal in there too, which was likely sourced from an environmentally rapacious mine employing slave labor somewhere in Asia or Africa. And then we can discuss the carbon footprint of getting all of that gear shipped to you. It's all gear that you would have no need for, if you did not CHOOSE to engage in an inherently resource-intensive activity. Same goes for that extra set of wheels and winter tires. Those wouldn't end up in a landfill if it wasn't for a skier needing snow tires. Then when you get home and throw the Capilene baselayer you sharted in on the lift because you couldn't say no to that breakfast burrito (factory farming and feedlots), it sheds all manner of microplastics, which will eventually end up fouling a body of water.

We all do it, but take some personal responsibility for, and ownership of, the real impacts our chosen hobbies have on the planet. You, me, and everyone else who likes to play outdoors have far bigger carbon footprints than the majority of us are willing to acknowledge, as this thread to clearly shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I'd venture that 99.9% of the activism of you, me, everyone on this board could be derided as "convenient activism".

By the way, for your other example of a pro skier's convenient activism, you could have at least chosen a man. Sure seems like harping on the ladies if your only examples of this are women. Because lord knows that in the pro skiing world, more men are guilty of this than women (if only because they far outnumber the women).
    I do agree with that.

We all do it, but take some personal responsibility for the real impacts our chosen hobbies have on the planet. You, me, and everyone else who likes to play outdoors have far bigger carbon footprints than the majority of us are willing to acknowledge, as this thread to clearly shows.
    Yes, you are correct.

But at the same time very few of us are making a career out of campaigning for a lighter carbon footprint all the while jetting about the planet raising awareness.

And while that campaign does have a fine purpose it also allows those who don't think we can or even should be less heavy footed an excellent way to say, "see"!
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Then why is so much scorn heaped upon a single individual? Why does Caroline catch so much shit when we should be most critical of film production companies (TGR and MSP both plaster their films with POW and 1% For the Planet bullshit)? Their impact is orders of magnitude greater than Caroline's, and being critical of them wouldn't reek of jealousy and misogyny quite as badly.

Sage is a hippy-dippy motherfucker, I bet he opines about saving the planet on social media to anyone who will listen too. Where's the thread shitting all over him for being a hypocrite? How about Jeremy Jones? That douche has been flying around in a heli for 25 years now and has been feeding us a line of bullshit about saving the planet for damn near as long. Guess all the badass mountain bros on here are actually simpering pantywaists who get their rocks off from shitting on a woman, while her male peers and the industry get a free pass.

What ever happened to live simply so others may simply live.

I'm sorry, but you're just wrong here. You can believe whatever the hell you want, but that doesn't make it a fact.

Unless you're out there earning your turns in animal skin clothing you hunted and produced yourself, on wooden skis (no plastic bases, metal edges or fiberglass or epoxy for you, you're "green" ), after walking to the ski hill on trails (can't be using paved roads, asphalt and concrete production are awfully resource intensive), you don't have a leg to stand on.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but carpooling up the canyon with three friends doesn't count as being green, because you're all heading up there with $5,000 worth of petroleum-derived clothing, skis and boots. There's probably some metal in there too, which was likely sourced from an environmentally rapacious mine employing slave labor somewhere in Asia or Africa. And then we can discuss the carbon footprint of getting all of that gear shipped to you. It's all gear that you would have no need for, if you did not CHOOSE to engage in an inherently resource-intensive activity. Same goes for that extra set of wheels and winter tires. Those wouldn't end up in a landfill if it wasn't for a skier needing snow tires. Then when you get home and throw the Capilene baselayer you sharted in on the lift because you couldn't say no to that breakfast burrito (factory farming and feedlots), it sheds all manner of microplastics, which will eventually end up fouling a body of water.

We all do it, but take some personal responsibility for, and ownership of, the real impacts our chosen hobbies have on the planet. You, me, and everyone else who likes to play outdoors have far bigger carbon footprints than the majority of us are willing to acknowledge, as this thread to clearly shows.
    That's teetering on nihilism... One can aim to do an impactful thing and then do it in a less impactful manner. I'm arguing the point in general not Caroline specific.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    That's teetering on realism

FIFY.

The "less impactful manner" is still high-impact and resource intensive. Own it.

FIFY.

The "less impactful manner" is still high-impact and resource intensive. Own it.
    Less high impact is superior to higher high impact*.

If it is not, then shall we light tire fires every day that we eschew no-child veganism holed up in the nearest cave because what's the difference?

*=(not that it justifies the usual self congratulatory orgasms of #virtuesignaling)
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

I think the point is to acknowledge skiers have bigger than average carbon foot prints. So, own that and do some things to ameliorate it.

I think it's a trap to assume that impurity is failure or that we have to be 100% this or that or roll defiant coal.

Quote Originally Posted by ####### View Post
    They're not paying for it tho... POW took in $1,711,077 and spent $1,563,885 in 2018.
    All for a good cause!

Name:  POW.jpg
Views: 1310
Size:  32.2 KB
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Then why is so much scorn heaped upon a single individual? Why does Caroline catch so much shit when we should be most critical of film production companies (TGR and MSP both plaster their films with POW and 1% For the Planet bullshit)?
    Ummmmmm, because someone started not 1 but 2 threads on the subject?

If this was about anyone else high profile there would be several pages of back and forth.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

"Climate change makes climbing and ski mountaineering more dangerous."

https://youtu.be/O0qfDWpvD-s

There is a crazy woman in Iowa City that runs around the streets shouting about stuff everyday. Pretty sure she is homeless or nearly so. My guess her carbon footprint is pretty low but NOBODY fucking cares what she says. You guys want everybody with a voice to live in a purity cave but then they are a crazy arm pit hair sporting hippy chick that nobody will give the time of day.

To me Caroline, Sierra are pretty and relatively intelligent girls with good messages and they love to ski and do it pretty well. I personally could find a reason to hate almost everybody for one reason or another but I choose not to, unless they hate me first then I typically let myself induldge. JJ the same thing. You guys hate on him? Dude seems pretty chill to me.

I went waterskiing this morning. Super carbon intensive. I am a super hypocrite just like these girls, JJ, all of you fucks. I should quit waterskiing, but I'd still be a super hypocrite right? It keeps me sane and I have the most fuel efficient rig that would work. I like biking but then someone in a lifted truck always wants to skim me as I ride along emitting only farts because I am virtue signaling or think I own the road but don't pay road taxes or however they justify it - but really they are just haters. You can roll coal, idle your diesel truck everywhere with the exhaust pointed toward the liberal children, pretend not to care, and flat deny the world is warming just a tiny bit more because of your actions but unless you make your kids swim in tanks of oil sludge and drink untreated sewage you are still a hypocrital virtue signaling asshole to someone. So in the end it comes back to the voice. Use it, if you have to. Do what you can to conserve. Virtue signal all you want because we all do even if you think you don't. All this hate on individuals who speak up, such easy targets, low hanging fruit for the folks that want to jump up and down and point fingers, yet corporate greenwashing efforts don't earn 9 page threads. Caroline though fkna, we can't stop typing.

Didn't Sierra drop the quitquit? Trying to grow up on us.

I don't hate on CG at all but I gotta say if those heli wedding/engagement pics are real, that's pretty damn stupid of her. Could even cost her the Patagonia ambassador gig if it somehow went viral. They take that shit seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    There is a crazy woman in Iowa City that runs around the streets shouting about stuff everyday. Pretty sure she is homeless or nearly so. My guess her carbon footprint is pretty low but NOBODY fucking cares what she says. You guys want everybody with a voice to live in a purity cave but then they are a crazy arm pit hair sporting hippy chick that nobody will give the time of day.

To me Caroline, Sierra are pretty and relatively intelligent girls with good messages and they love to ski and do it pretty well. I personally could find a reason to hate almost everybody for one reason or another but I choose not to, unless they hate me first then I typically let myself induldge. JJ the same thing. You guys hate on him? Dude seems pretty chill to me.

I went waterskiing this morning. Super carbon intensive. I am a super hypocrite just like these girls, JJ, all of you fucks. I should quit waterskiing, but I'd still be a super hypocrite right? It keeps me sane and I have the most fuel efficient rig that would work. I like biking but then someone in a lifted truck always wants to skim me as I ride along emitting only farts because I am virtue signaling or think I own the road but don't pay road taxes or however they justify it - but really they are just haters. You can roll coal, idle your diesel truck everywhere with the exhaust pointed toward the liberal children, pretend not to care, and flat deny the world is warming just a tiny bit more because of your actions but unless you make your kids swim in tanks of oil sludge and drink untreated sewage you are still a hypocrital virtue signaling asshole to someone. So in the end it comes back to the voice. Use it, if you have to. Do what you can to conserve. Virtue signal all you want because we all do even if you think you don't. All this hate on individuals who speak up, such easy targets, low hanging fruit for the folks that want to jump up and down and point fingers, yet corporate greenwashing efforts don't earn 9 page threads. Caroline though fkna, we can't stop typing.

Didn't Sierra drop the quitquit? Trying to grow up on us.
    I think it’s their preachiness and hypocritical nature that is what annoys most of us. Saving the planet one jet at a time!