Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Tom Petty

this day just keeps on delivering.

glad my impulse to listen to his music was pure coincidence and not of the supernatural. vibes to a strong recovery mr. petty!

I will admit to not being the biggest Tom Petty fan but I liked him. This song is undeniably genius:

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    I came of age to Wildflowers.
    Did he last the whole 3:11?
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

I keep hoping this is a "Paul is dead" kind of story. Unfortunately, probably not. Hope TP somehow comes out of this but it sounds pretty grim. I remember hearing Breakdown for the first time and loving it. I like a lot of his music; not the biggest fan but I really liked a number of his songs. Seemed like a real down to earth guy, for a rock star. Keep runnin' down a dream, TP.

It's official, on the tom pretty website now. RIP.

Heard on CBC that his passing is now official. Very sad to see such a fun prolific songwriter leave us. No backing down, even at the gates of hell.

Saw him about a decade ago at red rocks. great show. I liked his radio broadcast called buried treasure too. Not sure if they'll do reruns but just tons of music roots history. Worth a listen if you have eclectic taste.
    Heard an interview with him and he spoke of how hard the music biz was, how much work. To have a career, not a one hit wonder. But I'm sure it was a labor of love for him. What a thing, to work from your teens to death doing what you love.

Thing I liked the most about Tom Petty is he was "just an ordinary guy".

Got to see him in his prime in the early 90s, an outdoor concert in New Jersey. We almost weren't going to go for some reason. I'm so glad we did.

Tom Petty just being Tom Petty...driving around Gainesville, FL:

Here is another one...just hanging around. RIP good sir.

I swear this has got to be the very first MTV video I've ever seen. That was back in the day when when MTV was new and cool and so much better than the gyrating colored oscilloscope music channel it replaced. Remember those?

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    My first concert in 8th grade was Tom Petty, without the Heartbreakers. I guess they had broken up for a short time? Opening act was a relatively unknown Lenny Kravitz. We saw the whole opening act. Awesome way to start my concert going future.
    I wanted to see that show based primarily on Lenny but didn't get to--really liked him at the time, more just appreciated Petty (grew to like him a lot more over the years). My college roommate saw the Petty/Kravitz show in CT and always said it was the worst collision of CT good old boys and new wave Lenny fans you could imagine. I think it was mostly the Petty fans hating Lenny Kravitz (was immediately after Let Love Rule came out, as I recall). Always made me think of seeing Living Colour open for the Stones--Stones fans were not open to those guys.

That Tom Petty documentary that came out a few years ago is very good. Another guy I have trouble believing is gone. Heartbreakers were a first rate band, too (Mike Campbell and Tench are great musicians).
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Rover View Post
    I swear this has got to be the very first MTV video I've ever seen. That was back in the day when when MTV was new and cool and so much better than the gyrating colored oscilloscope music channel it replaced. Remember those?

This video ran on MTV probably five times a day for a year. I didn't fully get it, but I liked it.
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by SkiCougar View Post
    only 66.
    Sadly, 66 is not a young age for someone who smoked a pack or more a day since he was 16. That distinctive gravelly tone to Petty's voice came from being a very heavy smoker. Checking out in your 60's from heart failure is the natural result of smoking over 350,000 cigarettes. Sad.

TP's last show was just a few days ago at the Hollywood Bowl, the end of a 50 show tour that he said was going to be his last so he could slow down and spend some time with his grandaughter. Here's the full show if you want to listen https://jam.buzz/listen-tom-pettys-f...full-show-aud/

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    Sadly, 66 is not a young age for someone who smoked a pack or more a day since he was 16. That distinctive gravelly tone to Petty's voice came from being a very heavy smoker. Checking out in your 60's from heart failure is the natural result of smoking over 350,000 cigarettes. Sad.
    Damn...when you visualize 365,000 smoldering cigarettes, it's just a ridiculous image!! I am always at a loss when I see teenagers smoking. They KNOW that cigs are deadly, and yet they continue smoking those cancer sticks. Oh that's right, I forgot...forty or fifty yesrs down the road means nothing to a teen. 66 might as well be 106.

Strange thing: literally minutes before the initial [inaccurate] news of his passing flashed on my computer I had added the documentary to my Netflix watch list.

Watched it last night and as it ended the NYT posted the final news. Rick Rubin makes a comment in the movie that you can go to a 3 hour show and sing along with every song. Watching the movie you realize how true that is. What an amazing career and legacy of work. RIP Tom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Dammit. He didn't want to go on the cart, but the cart guy took him. He will be missed.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    I wanted to see that show based primarily on Lenny but didn't get to--really liked him at the time, more just appreciated Petty (grew to like him a lot more over the years). My college roommate saw the Petty/Kravitz show in CT and always said it was the worst collision of CT good old boys and new wave Lenny fans you could imagine. I think it was mostly the Petty fans hating Lenny Kravitz (was immediately after Let Love Rule came out, as I recall). Always made me think of seeing Living Colour open for the Stones--Stones fans were not open to those guys.

That Tom Petty documentary that came out a few years ago is very good. Another guy I have trouble believing is gone. Heartbreakers were a first rate band, too (Mike Campbell and Tench are great musicians).
    That is the show I was at- Hartford Civic Center, The Mall. I don't remember the hate. I think I was too young, and in awe that my parents let us go by ourselves. Maybe I was a freshman? '89 ish I think.

profound and true
    watch out for snakes

^^^ Great scene in the movie where he's talking about writing "the waiting....". Playing the riff over and over waiting for the words to come.

Another favorite scene was Stevie Nicks talking about how bad she wanted to join the Heartbreakers during the Fleetwood Mac heyday and Tom just kept saying, "yeah, that's great, but there aren't any girls in the Heartbreakers!".
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

2006 Tom petty interview on NPR fresh air today
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    ^^^ Great scene in the movie where he's talking about writing "the waiting....". Playing the riff over and over waiting for the words to come.

Another favorite scene was Stevie Nicks talking about how bad she wanted to join the Heartbreakers during the Fleetwood Mac heyday and Tom just kept saying, "yeah, that's great, but there aren't any girls in the Heartbreakers!".
    Watched the George Harrison movie Living In The Material World at the weekend.

The Petty/ Travelling Willburys segments are great. The whole movie is.

Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Thing I liked the most about Tom Petty is he was "just an ordinary guy".

Got to see him in his prime in the early 90s, an outdoor concert in New Jersey. We almost weren't going to go for some reason. I'm so glad we did.

Tom Petty just being Tom Petty...driving around Gainesville, FL:

Initially, he wasn't one of my favorites, but he grew on me. Saw him at Live Aid in 1985 (Philly), so right around the time of that video.

RIP TP

Name:  Tom Petty band.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  121.1 KB
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Damn...when you visualize 365,000 smoldering cigarettes, it's just a ridiculous image!! I am always at a loss when I see teenagers smoking. They KNOW that cigs are deadly, and yet they continue smoking those cancer sticks.
    That's because death is nothing to an immortal.

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    If his heart didn't break, cancer was right around the corner. Maybe had some tumors unchecked.

Sent from my SM-G900V using TGR Forums mobile app