East Coast splitboard?

So, selling my ski touring setup and swapping over to splitting this year. Started snowboarding two seasons ago and it's been really fun, and if I'm going to hike all damn day to get a run, at this point I'd rather be snowboarding down then making the same mistakes I've made on skis for 20 seasons.

ANYWAYS, back in Maine now. So mostly will be riding tight trees with the occasional Mt. Washington trip to ride ze steeps. I don't ride very fast, and have been a huge fan of the short but wide swallowtail shapes... have the Soul Motion Goldfish 147 and that thing is pretty much my dream board, and I imagine with how quick turning it is and how well it can float even at slow speeds, it'll still be fun out here.

So would like to get something very similar for splitting. Jones Storm Chaser is another board I rode (only during an epic JH storm though) similar to the Goldfish but it is fully rockered, whereas the Goldfish has camber underfoot. Would love to feel justified in getting the Storm Chaser, just not sure how it would hold on steeper stuff with not great snow, as I expect will occasionally (cough) be the case.

Considering the Hovercraft split, too, pretty much just for the camber. Similar design, just a little more length and less width.

Thoughts? I know it's not just ski nerds in here...

and for you experienced splitboarders, do you feel it's critical to get boots that have some sort of fore/aft movement built into them for a longer stride while skinning?
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Hovercraft split is sweet! Rode it in Gaspé during 4 days of high pressure and Tux late last spring and it worked well through variable crust and corn. Unfortunately did not get enough powder days on it yet. So far I find rides good in most conditions, and it's pretty nimble. My first few times out I had the stance set to far towards the tail and found the sweet spot to be just a little behind center.
    27° 18°

The Gnu Beast is also a good all around deck for the EC. Gotta lead on a lightly used one up for grabs. PM if interested.
    27° 18°

Quote Originally Posted by danmelon View Post
    Hovercraft split is sweet! Rode it in Gaspé during 4 days of high pressure and Tux late last spring and it worked well through variable crust and corn. Unfortunately did not get enough powder days on it yet. So far I find rides good in most conditions, and it's pretty nimble. My first few times out I had the stance set to far towards the tail and found the sweet spot to be just a little behind center.
    Do you find it to be particularly quick turning, ESP in trees? Sounded like it had a wider turning radius than something like th storm chaser
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

2nd on the Hovercraft split. I ride a Split Fish that is flat (micro camber) with rocker starting at the front foot. Amazing float in pow yet stable in firmer snow. As long as the boards you are looking at are directional with a stiff tail they should be fine for steep riding.

I don't do long enough tours to need a split specific boot. I just swap to a more flexible footbed and loosen up them laces. Also remember to set the highback for touring.

Good luck!
    "Just send it you pussy."

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dunfee View Post
    Do you find it to be particularly quick turning, ESP in trees? Sounded like it had a wider turning radius than something like th storm chaser
    I found it responded well in the trees. No complaints.
    27° 18°

Quote Originally Posted by BigHerm View Post
    2nd on the Hovercraft split. I ride a Split Fish that is flat (micro camber) with rocker starting at the front foot. Amazing float in pow yet stable in firmer snow. As long as the boards you are looking at are directional with a stiff tail they should be fine for steep riding.

I don't do long enough tours to need a split specific boot. I just swap to a more flexible footbed and loosen up them laces. Also remember to set the highback for touring.

Good luck!
    Thanks for the feedback. Kind of leaning towards the Storm Chaser:

Stiff tail but no camber. Still, Jer crushes groomers on it.

Compare to Hovercraft, which has a pretty long effective edge, is supposed to turn a bigger radius, and is narrower/longer. Hmm...

For comparison, this is my current board that I'm in love with.

for you experienced splitboarders, do you feel it's critical to get boots that have some sort of fore/aft movement built into them for a longer stride while skinning?
    You're overthinking this WAY too much, it’s snowboarding. Wish you had been a snowboarder when you worked for TGR, .. welcome to the stepchild club.

Those short fat shapes are not fun to tour on. Did you see our Rossi Sushi review? Nor are they fun to get skins for. If your going cat skiing take a fat short board perhaps, or for trenching groomers bro, TRENCHING.. Otherwise I see no reason to ride those.

Do you plan to use existing skin tracks? The fat boards are wider then any skis when in split mode.

Have you been on a splitboard before? Better yet have you ridden a snowboard with a giant whole down the middle in sub par snow?

A standard splitboard will be your best bet. Look for used or last years can get a full setup for under $500. Or do what the "industry" suggest and buy a Jones and Karakoram setup and call it good.

Thanks for the feedback. Kind of leaning towards the Storm Chaser:

Stiff tail but no camber. Still, Jer crushes groomers on it.

Compare to Hovercraft, which has a pretty long effective edge, is supposed to turn a bigger radius, and is narrower/longer. Hmm...
    From the Jones website it seems that the storm chaser doesn't have magnetraction, which is pretty essential for east coast gnar IMO. The HC does. Might be worth considering.
    27° 18°

Good point 310. Had not thought of the skintrack. HC seems like a more reasonable move with that in mind

Where do snowboarders sell their used shit online? TGR is kind of the default for skiers, but I've never understood if there's a similar platform for snowboarders.

Where do snowboarders sell their used shit online? TGR is kind of the default for skiers, but I've never understood if there's a similar platform for snowboarders.
    There's a couple of fb groups:
    Backcountry snowbard trader
    Backcountry swap and swell in the north east

I've no trading experience with either, except for following them. They both seem pretty active.
    27° 18°

There's a couple of fb groups:
    Backcountry snowbard trader
    Backcountry swap and swell in the north east

I've no trading experience with either, except for following them. They both seem pretty active.
    Sweet! Thanks for the beta I'll check em out

For comparison, this is my current board that I'm in love with.
    If you are interested in a handmade, custom board made for the kind of riding it sounds like you are looking to do check out www.mtnlocalsnowboards.com. Made in VT with incredible float and edgehold for a board 152cm or smaller. I think the new website is still in the works but reach out to Max and he will give you all the details.

Pic of my Hammerhead proto in Whistler last April. He also makes splits.

Not a split board, but just curious if anyone has or knows anyone who's tried the Burton family tree skeleton key? Looks like a super fun, versatile shape for all things EC.

What size do you ride and what's your height/weight?

I would recommend going the DIY-route. It's a very fun fall project.

Quote Originally Posted by permnation View Post
    I would recommend going the DIY-route. It's a very fun fall project.
    Second this. So easy to find a used board. And the feeling of riding some heavy shit with something you rigged together is pretty rad.

What size do you ride and what's your height/weight?
    I'm a medium sized dude (5'9" 150) so I went with the 156. Feels about right.

For bindings i use the old voile light rails with the pin. I really like them. They do the trick at a reasonable price. The pin is not the most efficient, but I've had no issues, and if your skier buds complain about transition time, just shoot them a beer. I would say carry spares with you just in case.
    27° 18°

Ummm...splitboard.com?
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do