Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Thanks. Here is the opinion of Bike Advisor for the same question. Needs to be updated for the new models. Imagine that.

ETA: Here is another that includes X1. Source not identified.

The Bike Advisor one is dated - that's from ~2 generations of parts ago (i.e. about 8 years old).

The bottom one is closer, but it's still a few years old and is missing a bunch of stuff that's in Sram's current lineup.

This all gets bullshitty because you end up comparing 1 x 12 Sram stuff with 2 x 11 electronic Shimano stuff, which is kind of a goofy comparison. And it gets tricky because the Sram stuff tends to weigh less, shift better, and hold a chain better, but the Shimano stuff tends to be more durable. So "better" or "equivalent to" gets fairly subjective. That said, I'd put it at:

XX1 Eagle -> XTR Di2
    X01 Eagle -> No real shimano comparison
    XX1 / X01 11 speed -> XTR, or maybe XT Di2
    X01 DH -> Saint
    X1 11 speed ~> XT (X1's probably slightly better)
    GX Eagle -> No real shimano comparison
    GX 11 speed ~< XT (XT's probably slightly better)
    GX DH -> Zee
    NX -> SLX
    X9 -> Deore
    X7 -> I don't think Shimano has anything down here anymore
    X5 -> Altus

Presumably we'll be getting an X1 Eagle group soon enough, which will further fuck this all up.

^^^ solid.

Yeah, it's definitely a moving target.

FYI. DB had road bikes at 20% off last week and has fat bikes 20% off now. There's a chance mountain bikes go on sale Wednesday. Release 3 will be hard to look past if that's the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    FYI. DB had road bikes at 20% off last week and has fat bikes 20% off now. There's a chance mountain bikes go on sale Wednesday. Release 3 will be hard to look past if that's the case.
    Seems likely based upon this recent article.

Since that was published i've noticed an uptick in their digital advertising across the board.

I'm not seeing the 3C available online for me. Just the 4c and 5c. Any of the rest of you having any luck?

Quote Originally Posted by ACH View Post
    Seems likely based upon this recent article.

Since that was published i've noticed an uptick in their digital advertising across the board.

Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    I'm not seeing the 3C available online for me. Just the 4c and 5c. Any of the rest of you having any luck?
    Haven't noticed a 3c.

I think the 3c got relabeled to the 4c to keep confusion down.

Diamondback could be one of the most under estimated brand. I've ridden my fair share of them and the only one I didn't like was the scapegoat. Mainly as i didn't have the balls to ride it how it needed to be ridden. The release is a great price point bike.

I’d say the release is a great bike, period. Was just as fun and capable as the BMC we tested two summers ago that cost $2K more. Obsessed with my evil but would have one of those around too if I was a dentist
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dunfee View Post
    I’d say the release is a great bike, period. Was just as fun and capable as the BMC we tested two summers ago that cost $2K more. Obsessed with my evil but would have one of those around too if I was a dentist
    Dentist are over rated...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Trigger pulled. I looked hard at other bikes and really wanted XT components but the value of the Release 3 can't be beat; less than $4k shipped for two bikes after a bunch of discounts.

Nice. Take the time to learn how to set up your suspension: http://www.bikeradar.com/us/gear/art...pension-32460/

More in-depth version: https://www.bikerumor.com/2014/10/30...free-download/

Nothing directly affects the feel of the bike like suspension setup.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 01-02-2018 at 09:43 AM.

Will do. Thanks for the link.

The new phone book's here!

The wife and I are ready for new bikes and the pricing and specs of the release has caught our eyes. I've read some reviews (especially appreciate the TGR review) and it sounds pretty good, but what I can't find much of are comparisons to other bikes. I'm looking at. I've been checked my out bikes like the Devinci Troy and SC Bronson and wonder how this compares? Is it more like the Transition Scout or the above?

I live in Bozeman and ride Leverich, Bangtail Divode, Big Sky's mountain to meadow and may even ride chairs at BS a bit (nothing too rowdy as I don't like hitting the ground hard). Thoughts on this bike?

I've test ridden the Bronson and a Scout. I own a Release. My two cents:

- Bronson marginally better in really rough sections than Release (similarly equipped.) Just more...planted?
    - Scout is a bit more "fun" than the Release. Release a bit more "fun" than the Bronson. Fun here meaning -- wanting to get the rear end out, jump off off things, pop around things.

Neither the Scout or Bronson was wort premium for similarly equipped bike. Bronson has great CS support. DB's though has been very good when I've had to work with them.

With the DB, you can get a full carbon frame, Fox 34, SLX 1x11, dropper for well under $3k.

WMD: not a release, but there's deals to be had on 2017 DB's. Both Dantheman and I just ordered one of these for our better halves: https://www.americasbikecompany.com/...w.htm?CartID=1

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    WMD: not a release, but there's deals to be had on 2017 DB's. Both Dantheman and I just ordered one of these for our better halves: https://www.americasbikecompany.com/...w.htm?CartID=1
    WMD: Same bike as release w/ plus sized tires and minor geometry alterations.

Thanks guys^^. I am pretty close to pulling the trigger on one or two Releases. We were thinking Carbon, possibly even the 5C (we live in Bozeman so trying to keep up with all the children of dentists here - ie using mommy's money), but the price on that Clutch is pretty hard to beat. The couple we ride with a lot are on carbon Bronsons and I find it useful to have similar styles of bikes for riding together. In other words, ideally bikes that are good at the same stuff so we aren't on xc bikes while they are on enduros. Lots of waiting for each other in that scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by WMD View Post
    Thanks guys^^. I am pretty close to pulling the trigger on one or two Releases. We were thinking Carbon, possibly even the 5C (we live in Bozeman so trying to keep up with all the children of dentists here - ie using mommy's money), but the price on that Clutch is pretty hard to beat. The couple we ride with a lot are on carbon Bronsons and I find it useful to have similar styles of bikes for riding together. In other words, ideally bikes that are good at the same stuff so we aren't on xc bikes while they are on enduros. Lots of waiting for each other in that scenario.
    If you pull the trigger: corporate discount on 4c or 5c will save you 10%. Then SAVE5 promo for an additional 5%. Then 3% cashback via ActiveJunky. And then stack on whatever CC cashback -- Chase right now is 5% back on Paypal purchases using chase cards. All told, those additional things stacking on top of the corporate code is ~$1k off 2 release 5c's or $700 off 2 4cs.

Thanks for the info. We both can get 20% off, making these a great deal.

We are leaning towards the 5c for $3500 each. Seems the lighter wheels and top tier components are worth it, although 2 4c's for less than $5k is pretty tempting.

Is the 5c worth $1100 more than the 4c?

Watched videos and read reviews last night and then pulled the trigger on the 5c's! Stoked!

Quote Originally Posted by WMD View Post
    Watched videos and read reviews last night and then pulled the trigger on the 5c's! Stoked!
    Well done! You'll have a blast on em. They are remarkably capable and fun bikes with no downside that I can think of. And very playful as was noted earlier. Enjoy.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Plus they come with two sets of pedals, a shock pump, a torque wrench, a spare derailleur hanger, tubeless valves, and a fuckton of reflectors!

Stupid question: anyone set up the 27.5+ version as a 29er?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.