Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Diamond Back Release?

Thoughts? A knock-off vpp, a carbon 5c model with a really nice build and an accessible pro-deal program.

Anyone spent any time on one?

I own a Release 1. Pretty happy with my purchase. Early shipments had a poorly assembled rear hub but they made it right. It's not some magic bike, but my friends 5K yeti doesn't ride that much smoother and doesn't make me noticeably faster.

The new carbon model looks pretty slick. Full carbon rig with decent components for <$3k is impressive.

I LOVED that bike when we had the test mule at TGR. Really playful and poppy... probably the most fun bike in the corners we had in the test along with the BMC Traiflx. Yeah, pretty much an SC knock-off. Climbs really well standing, too. Huge fan though.

FWIW here's the pro bro TGR review:
    https://www.tetongravity.com/story/b...ase-trail-bike
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

It looks like a super solid bike and would probably serve a lot of people very well. No bottle cage mount but one review said it looked like the large and xl frames could fit one. If that's true, I may have to give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by radam View Post
    It looks like a super solid bike and would probably serve a lot of people very well. No bottle cage mount but one review said it looked like the large and xl frames could fit one. If that's true, I may have to give it a go.
    My XL has a cage mount on the bottom of the downtube. Not sure bout the carbon versions.

I'm not sure if I'd call it a VPP knock-off exactly, though obviously they had to wait out the SC patent. The motion of their linkage has some in common with the SC but about as much with Yeti when you look closely--almost a mirror of the Yeti looking at the instant center movement. Unfortunately, that's the only look I've had because the damn things are so hard to track down in person. Anyone know of a way to get on one? My local DB dealers just offer to price match if I order one.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    I'm not sure if I'd call it a VPP knock-off exactly, though obviously they had to wait out the SC patent. The motion of their linkage has some in common with the SC but about as much with Yeti when you look closely--almost a mirror of the Yeti looking at the instant center movement. Unfortunately, that's the only look I've had because the damn things are so hard to track down in person. Anyone know of a way to get on one? My local DB dealers just offer to price match if I order one.
    I've seen them at REIs
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Good to hear, thanks!

Last year, I bought my wife a release 2 on pro deal and at that price ($2200 I think), it is the best value of any trail bike out there IMO. I usually ride expensive plastic bikes but was without one for a month this summer so I got a bunch of rides on it. I was absolutely blown away at how capable it is. Coming from a 2013 Nomad carbon, I was faster on everything riding the release. It kinda pissed me off that it was faster than my $7K nomad. Climbs amazing well for its weight (around 32 lbs) and is crazy fun on the down. It corners extremely well and eats up chunder and hits way better than you would think 130mm should. The build is amazing for that price, but the DB rims are a bit heavy and I don't care for the hans dampf tires that come with it. I threw a dhf 2.5 on the front, kept the hd on the back and it was a huge improvement. I also don't dig guide brakes compared to xt's, but they work ok. All in all, I don't think you can go wrong with this bike and for the pro deal price you won't do better. The new carbon release looks super sick and would negate the weight penalty of the aluminum version. The 5C has eagle, carbon cranks, real tires, better wheels, better fox suspension, etc.. When it pops up on expericity, I will probably grab one (for the wife, of course).

Got my wife on the plus version (Catch) and she rips on it. Confidence went way up going up tech climbs and down whatever.

I really enjoyed having the Release test sled around, it actually cornered better than my Evil! But yeah, I back em big time and if you can get promotive deals it's a no brainer. If I was a dentist I'd add one to the quiv.

It's more like the 'dental Hygenist' demographic.
    The new one looks dope.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Women's version (Clutch) is on super clearance. Marketing descriptions talk up the "women's geometry", but frame specs appear identical - just a narrower bar and women's saddle on the Clutch. Any downside other than pride to just buying the Clutch and saving a few hundo?

Which Clutch compared to which Release? On DB's website the Clutch 2 is priced $1,000 higher than the Release 3, but somehow the spec list for the Release is better in every respect.

Release 3: Pike RCT3, Monarch Plus RC3, X1 drivetrain, Guide RS, $2499
    https://www.diamondback.com/mountain...tain/release-3

Clutch 2: Pike RC, Monarch RT3, GX drivetrain, Level T, $3499
    https://www.diamondback.com/mountain...ntain/clutch-2

I don't get it. Double check that you're actually saving or getting more for your money buying the Clutch. The build kit on the Release 3 is insanely good for the price.

How is that Release 3 spec even possible at that price. Insane.

I was looking at this one: http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...2_602626_-1___

which looks like a slightly lower spec (Suntour/X-fusion vs. Yari/Monarch) than the standard Release 1/Clutch 1 as spec'd from Diamondback. Maybe this version was made just for Nashbar? Doesn't look like total junk, though, and the price is nuts if the base frame is the same.

Diamond Back Release?

Quote Originally Posted by wurst View Post
    Women's version (Clutch) is on super clearance. Marketing descriptions talk up the "women's geometry", but frame specs appear identical - just a narrower bar and women's saddle on the Clutch. Any downside other than pride to just buying the Clutch and saving a few hundo?
    Honestly I think it's just sizing.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    How is that Release 3 spec even possible at that price. Insane.
    It's like it's a typo.

Quote Originally Posted by wurst View Post
    I was looking at this one: http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...2_602626_-1___

which looks like a slightly lower spec (Suntour/X-fusion vs. Yari/Monarch) than the standard Release 1/Clutch 1 as spec'd from Diamondback. Maybe this version was made just for Nashbar? Doesn't look like total junk, though, and the price is nuts if the base frame is the same.
    Whoa, yeah, nothing to complain about there for the price.

The DB Mission 2 retails for $3,500 but is selling for $2,200. Looking at price alone, the Mission 2 would seem the better deal than the Release 3. Is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    The DB Mission 2 retails for $3,500 but is selling for $2,200. Looking at price alone, the Mission 2 would seem the better deal than the Release 3. Is it?
    For parts maybe, but I think the release is a way more fun bike and better all around than then mission. I'd pay the extra 300

Good to know. Thanks.

What is the Shimano equivalent to the SRAM X1 component set on the Release 3? I'm familiar with the Shimano SLX->LX->XT->XTR tiering but it looks like that may have changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    What is the Shimano equivalent to the SRAM X1 component set on the Release 3? I'm familiar with the Shimano SLX->LX->XT->XTR tiering but it looks like that may have changed.
    X1 is roughly equivalent to XT, but correlating shimano to sram is a bit messy these days.

Sometimes there isn't a direct comparison, but IMO, a rule of thumb would look something like this:

XTR = XX1 and/or eagle
    XT = X0 and X1
    SLX = X9
    Derore = X7

Like I said that's IMO, and I'm sure people will argue.

FWIW, my wife's X0 drivetrain shifts better than my XT on the exact same rear suspension.

Oh, and ETA: the LX and DX names don't really exist anymore.

Thanks. Here is the opinion of Bike Advisor for the same question. Needs to be updated for the new models. Imagine that.

ETA: Here is another that includes X1. Source not identified.

Can't say I 100% agree, but don't feel strongly enough to disagree with that chart either.

Maybe X0 is XTR. Her bike rides like butter.

Like Toast said, it's getting fuzzy at this point.