Ridgway to Telluride in the winter?

Has anyone been on the Dallas Divide during a big storm? The wife and I are considering moving to Ridgway, as we don't have fuck you money to afford what we want in Telluride. Google Maps says 53 minutes, but I'm wondering what that turns in to during a storm.
    All I want is to be hardcore.

www.tonystreks.com

I am sure they keep those roads pretty maintained all things considered. Heading to Silverton would/could be dicier I would think.

You're gonna die.

Serious answer: It's like any mountain highway situation. The CO DOT does a good job keeping the road open, but every now and then it's just better to stay home. Depends on the storm, but that road is the one from the Montrose airport, so they work on it. Dallas Divide isn't that high or exposed...relatively.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    You're gonna die.

Serious answer: It's like any mountain highway situation. The CO DOT does a good job keeping the road open, but every now and then it's just better to stay home. Depends on the storm, but that road is the one from the Montrose airport, so they work on it. Dallas Divide isn't that high or exposed...relatively.
    Exactly, that's why I was curious. If the storm is coming in from the south, I'm just wondering if it gets protected a bit by the mountains. I'm in Salida now though, so even on a bad day, it's only 35 minutes to the parking lot at Monarch. I'm not sure I want to do a 90 minute drive to ride.

www.tonystreks.com

It's hard to follow-up without knowing your reasons for considering a move. But T-ride vs. Monarch is kind of a one-sided match.

I've gone over Dallas Divide in a variety of conditions.
    It's not the snow so much as black ice that gets shitty on that road, especially when everyone flies in and there's shuttles running from Montrose to T-ride.

One year, Silverton had gotten 23" in one day, we managed to squeeze past some avie debris on the Silverton side of Red Mountain Pass and it took about an hour to get down to Ouray.

It took another 4 hours to get to T-ride. The sections over DD was one of the shittiest drives I've ever done, lots of black ice, spun out tour busses, tons of cops and tow trucks.

But most of the time, Ridgeway to T-ride is like 45 minutes. I'm bush league in terms of numbers of times I've been over, probably 20 times, but normally it's a good road, even in reasonable storms.

Some of ye auld guard live in Norwood which is good for access, but known for some bad school administration (see Norwood hazing)
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    I've gone over Dallas Divide in a variety of conditions.
    It's not the snow so much as black ice that gets shitty on that road, especially when everyone flies in and there's shuttles running from Montrose to T-ride.

One year, Silverton had gotten 23" in one day, we managed to squeeze past some avie debris on the Silverton side of Red Mountain Pass and it took about an hour to get down to Ouray.

It took another 4 hours to get to T-ride. The sections over DD was one of the shittiest drives I've ever done, lots of black ice, spun out tour busses, tons of cops and tow trucks.

But most of the time, Ridgeway to T-ride is like 45 minutes. I'm bush league in terms of numbers of times I've been over, probably 20 times, but normally it's a good road, even in reasonable storms.

Some of ye auld guard live in Norwood which is good for access, but known for some bad school administration (see Norwood hazing)
    Good info. I'm sure it can suck sometimes, that's just to be expected, and I'm ok with it. Heading out there this weekend, so I'll ask some locals as well.

www.tonystreks.com

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    It's hard to follow-up without knowing your reasons for considering a move. But T-ride vs. Monarch is kind of a one-sided match.
    I've never ridden Telluride. I love Monarch though. Solid snow, no lines, and cheap cat skiing.

www.tonystreks.com

Dallas Divide is normally very chill and gets cleared very quickly. The scariest times I've had driving it were from the combination of snow/wind creating drifts and killing visibility. That being said, those times were usually while driving an airport shuttle at 1am. Last time I was down there Telluride got 23" inches over night and I was staying with a friend in Ridgway, drove over that morning at 730am in my 2wd Honda no problem.
    It sucks to suck.