Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hanging/Storing Skis

I am trying to figure out a better way to store my skis in the garage. The obvious solution is a system with two parallel bars which I slot the tips into -- like this one below:

Some people worry that over time this could impact the tips, especially with greater rocker. Does anyone have any experience or definitive knowledge as to whether hanging skis this way will actually impact them?

Cheers

Try it horizontal?
    stay outta my line

Pool noodle and some rope, hang from the ceiling.

Quote Originally Posted by devon View Post
    I am trying to figure out a better way to store my skis in the garage. The obvious solution is a system with two parallel bars which I slot the tips into -- like this one below:

Some people worry that over time this could impact the tips, especially with greater rocker. Does anyone have any experience or definitive knowledge as to whether hanging skis this way will actually impact them?

Cheers
    Just do the same thing but instead of hanging them set the tails on the ground.

Name:  IMGP3064.JPG
Views: 14265
Size:  34.8 KB

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...d.php?t=279250

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought two six pair each lumber rack from grizzly. $75 delivered and I can store 12 pairs horizontal. 14 gauge steel. Easy peazy
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Love that idea

Neighbor welded a rack for me, holds 12 pair and 12 pair poles upright by the tips style. Wife is sure it will break down the rocker in her skis. I think not.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

MAYBE on an xc racing skis but AT or alpine skis ... i don't think so

this question gets asked every year and so far nobody has come up with any proof
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Cheers
    Simple put a wedge of wood or foam between the skis at the start of the rise before dropping them in OR strap them just above the pegs.

Nice rack system Phil.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Thread drift:
    When storing skis in a maritime climate, do/would you do anything apart from keeping them waxed? Do you protect the edges somehow?
    Cheers

Cheers
    Can confirm that soft rockered/early rise powder skis are heavily effected by this sort of storage.

Last year I left one of my pair of line mr pollards opus skis in a makeshift tip hook setup similar to this, and one pair of opus on a shelf with my other skis. 9 months they hung like this.
    The tip stored ones early rise, especially on just one of the skis, has been permanently effected. The rise is now least 2cm less than normal, and the left ski's rise is 1cm less than the right ski.
    I've skied them in deep pow a few times, and their performance didn't really seem to be effected. But I was very disappointed to have damaged them this way.

i'd suggest pursuing one of the horizontal suggestions .
    i've seen TransplantedFromRMNP's horizontal method, but with wooden hooks, on a large scale with about 40-50 pairs of skis at a rental shop. it was very impressive, almost an art piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Island Bay View Post
    Thread drift:
    When storing skis in a maritime climate, do/would you do anything apart from keeping them waxed? Do you protect the edges somehow?
    Cheers
    i use a thick storage wax that covers the edges, then wrap around the whole ski covering the edge in electrical tape.

Quote Originally Posted by anything View Post
    i use a thick storage wax that covers the edges, then wrap around the whole ski covering the edge in electrical tape.
    Yes, just laying on the wax really heavy will do it. I have used this "technique" without the tape and it works fine.

i don't do anything to the edges, if you ever had the edges touching when they were wet and didnt let em dry they will rust & pitt and they will continue to rust until you get that material edge tuned off, i always lean skis up against the wall to dry before storing how ever you wana do that

https://www.thehardwarehut.com/catal...hp?p_ref=37088

I'm using some of these^^ in my shop right now with the adjustable tracks, I can lay 2 pair on them,

still got my closet rack for right next to the door

As was suggested earlier - the rack I bought was setup to suspend by the tips and no way was I going to do this. I mounted the rack so the skis would be held in place just above the binding and I bought a larg soft rubber mat to place under the tails. I love this setup and they are firmly held in place.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using TGR Forums mobile app

If you got a garage you likely have lots of room and there are lots of ways to store skis, but here is a good ski rack for an apartment or condo with limited space/ no garage, it holds 4 pair of skis alpine or AT off the ground in a very small space with room for the boot dryer and a bunch of stuff on the shelf ... built for the price of the lumber

I still havent painted it

picture didn't stay with the cutn paste
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by XXX-er; 11-28-2020 at 01:18 PM.

killer quiver there undertow.

and I've never said this about another guy, but nice rack Phil!

Quote Originally Posted by Flexon Phil View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1274.jpg 
Views:	1773 
Size:	890.1 KB 
ID:	213057
    What about touring skis/tech binders?
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    I do not have any here but I imagine a notch in the wood where the tech fittings would could suffice.
    Click. Point. Chute.

Wildsnow has posted up a few ski rack builds over the years. Here is the most recent, which has links to the older ones. https://www.wildsnow.com/18213/how-t...-ski-rack-diy/
    It sucks to suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Flexon Phil View Post

Name:	IMG_1263.jpg 
Views:	744 
Size:	904.8 KB 
ID:	213059
    Like this a lot, thanks for posting.

Amazon has these racks pretty cheap; using the ceiling frees up space.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    Amazon has these racks pretty cheap; using the ceiling frees up space.

Yeah,a s posted here,

I find the height adjustability of the ceiling mounted racks useful. You can raise or lower depending on season to either get the skis out of the way or down for easier access.

Adding a rope through a padded pipe can either be added to the ceiling rack or simply used with ceiling hooks, eyebolts or lag screws, etc.

Phil's and other wall/floor rack systems work well but do require a bunch of wall space. You might consider seasonally cycling the storage types between wall/floor systems depending on what mode you season you are in (ie, bikes, boats vs skiing).

Also, I can't prove this, but it sure 'feels' like the summer heat against the garage ceiling may help the waxing like a low level hot boxing. I put on the typical wax of the early season versus wasting material and time with soft storage wax and then rewaxing come fall. Sometimes all I do each season is scrape, roto brush and go when the snow flies if I did apply storage wax. Mostly I just wipe off the dust and go because they were well tended to the previous season and there was no need to add storage wax.

I do wonder about laying skis flat relative to camber, so I flip them occassionally. Storing skis on tails or bindings would take the perceived or real issues of gravity over time on tips and camber. But again, wedges a the rise avoids the tip issues.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post

Name:	IMG_1361.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	867.0 KB 
ID:	213088

That was done quickly with a Foredom. It will work with the binding in the locked position. If I was going to do one for a Tech binding, I would do it wider.
    Click. Point. Chute.