Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    FIFY
    Yeah, but he said he didn't want tip dive

2017-18 Blizzard Spur

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Yeah, but he said he didn't want tip dive
    128mm waist and tip dive? Lol.
    Seriously, his description fits the ProTest to a freakin T. Oh, and I'm on the 188.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    128mm waist and tip dive? Lol.
    Seriously, his description fits the ProTest to a freakin T. Oh, and I'm on the 188.
    Someone sounds defensive... Must have been on to something.

Not at all, but do go on....

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    billygoats?

Quote Originally Posted by skizix View Post
    Old spur seems like it would not be agile enough in tight trees, which is really where I spend the most time these days (when the snow's up at all, once the rest is chopped up).
    The new Spurs are my daily driver on big dump days with bottomless powder and low vis. You see the restrictions. Fantastic ski in untracked but somewhat underwhelming in anything else. The old Spur was much more versatile IMO, maybe not as surfy but certainly not much more cumbersome in tight terrain. The Blister reviews on both versions are pretty spot on.

^^ thanks, that kinda confirms my suspicions. Not a ski I would likely buy, although this winter is not like any of the previous ones, and would suit a Spur well. That said, I had a blast on the OG bodacious today.

I've got a lot of lust for the new spurs (for my next big-big day ski - new pow ski is 190 Moment Blister, old is 191 Surface Live Free...118 and 120 waist, respectively). But then I stumbled on some write-ups of Liberty Genomes (yellowgentian.com has a full-on rave review). Which are 141 in the waist, yet would somehow seem less one-dimensional than the spurs. Is this even possible? Anybody been on both?

Old spur seems like it would not be agile enough in tight trees, which is really where I spend the most time these days (when the snow's up at all, once the rest is chopped up).

If reviews are to be believed, Genome seems like the deep day ski for me. But 141 waist sounds pretty ridiculous, so not entirely convinced.
    Don’t do it. Don’t get the genome. That ski sucks. Even if the rocker camber profile indicates “versatility”, that waist is just too damn big to deal with in anything but bottomless snow. They float, but they don’t surf. Least fun ski I’ve ever been on for a deep day.

I’m a big fan of Billy goats and protests. Never rode the spur.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

It was early season a few weeks ago and went to Ski groomers. Grabbed my white spurs and ripped em and had a blast. They are very versatile for a 125 waist ski. Real easy to Ski and can slide sides ways with no hook or floor it and Mach looney. In pow just flick tail and change direction. One of the best all mtn pow I have in my quiver. I don’t find them too short but I did buy 197 lotus 120 just for fun.
    If they discount these like OG spurs at season end may give them a try. But why black top sheets???
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    Don’t do it. Don’t get the genome. That ski sucks. Even if the rocker camber profile indicates “versatility”, that waist is just too damn big to deal with in anything but bottomless snow. They float, but they don’t surf. Least fun ski I’ve ever been on for a deep day.

I’m a big fan of Billy goats and protests. Never rode the spur.
    Thanks for the feedback. With a waist as big as Trump's, it's not surprising they're not versatile. Least-fun-ski-ever-on-a-deep-day is pretty surprising though.

So no more fixation on Genomes - just too stupid fat. Still oddly attracted to the new Spur (though it sounds softer than any ski I've ever owned). It's so fkn expensive though! Even if price goes down in the spring they'll still be spendy. Maybe a Cham 127...? Very mixed opinions on those, but at least I can probably get some cheap.

2017-18 Blizzard Spur

Still oddly attracted to the new Spur (though it sounds softer than any ski I've ever owned).
    I fully understand this. The new Spur is such a sexy looking bitch. I ditched my old ones for her which I sometimes really regret. If you’re attracted, go for it. With the Bodacious in background, you’re well covered in less then ideal conditions.

From the STP thread

16/17 Spur for 299. fkna! https://www.sierratradingpost.com/s~blizzard-spur/
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    From the STP thread

16/17 Spur for 299. fkna! https://www.sierratradingpost.com/s~blizzard-spur/
    It’s really not a bad ski in untouched pow. Anything outside of that, the Spur sucks. If I didn’t like the Shiro and Protest as much as I do, I’d grab a pair of Spurs for touring.

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    It’s really not a bad ski in untouched pow. Anything outside of that, the Spur sucks. If I didn’t like the Shiro and Protest as much as I do, I’d grab a pair of Spurs for touring.
    To get it clear, this applies to the new Spur. The old Spurs do not suck in anything outside of untouched pow.

Quote Originally Posted by roQer View Post
    To get it clear, this applies to the new Spur. The old Spurs do not suck in anything outside of untouched pow.
    For me the OG Spur was no fun in anything other then untouched pow. I destroyed my back on more then one pow day trying to drive that thing after the first two runs. Maybe the mount point was wrong, maybe it was too short, but I wasn’t a fan. In untouched, it was a dream.

I have yet to get on the new Spur, maybe this next storm I’ll try to find a pair to try.

I think the same. I have been on the old white ones a bit lately as we have gotten several dumps of dense heavy snow. I have never been on anything more awesome or felt more invincible in the fresh hero pow, but once that stuff gets cut up I can't make a single turn to save my life. (Might not be as bad in tracked up cold smoke but I haven't had them in that in a while.)

Can't drive them or slarve them, nothing works. They transmit so much energy back to my body, it's horrible. Maybe I'm too light or too weak, I don't know but I don't get owned like that on the og bodacious. Can bend and arc the shit out of them on groomers and stomp drops in pow all day long but as soon as the snow gets cut up or uneven they just buck me around so violently. I will still never sell them though as I will always have them for those sickest of pow mornings when I really do enjoy the shit out of them.

I think it's cool what they are doing though, making it a total different concept pow ski each time. Maybe I will add the asymmetrical one to the collection someday.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

Quote Originally Posted by tone capone View Post
    I think it's cool what they are doing though, making it a total different concept pow ski each time.
    How much different are the white ones vs last year's Spur, then (I know the new asym ones are way different)?

And how does last year's Spur compare to a Praxis Protest? I'm trying to decide whether to pounce on the STP deal on last year's, or wait and get Protests next year (I've already bought two pairs this year so I should probably wait, but the STP deal is tough to resist).

Spur is all mtn pow Ski that charges and rails on groomers. Pretty quick to turn but can run. Protest is quicker and turns in trees quicker. Not as good on groomers and more pow specific.
    Both are great and have different advantages. I can take spur and Ski groomers and be happy. Not always my choice in pow
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

2017-18 Blizzard Spur

For me the Spur was good the first few runs in the morning on a pow day, then they became uncontrollable beasts that wanted to do anything else then what I wanted them to do.

The Protests aren’t better or worse the first few runs on a pow morning then the Spurs, just different. The Protests are more of a slarving and drifting pow ski, and the Spurs want to carve (they are a Blizzard after all). The biggest difference is the Protests are fun in the afternoon, and the next 3 days after a storm, where the Spurs had to be put away for a smaller ski.

The Spur is a good ski, if you are under 5 ft 10 inches, over 160 lbs, and ski huge open pow fields and Mach 10. If you are too tall, not heavy enough, and have trees you like to ski on a pow day, they are not the best tool for the job.

I’ve sold both my Spurs and Protests (and bought and sold again) due to my love-affair with the Shiro. The Protest is on my radar to pick up next summer. It’s just that good.

How does the 16/17 Spur compare to the 4FRNT Renegade (186cm)? I'm 5'10 and 210lbs and ski Whistler, so a combo of alpine and tree skiing. I love the Renegades. My hard snow technique is 90's racer style in the front of the boots, but I ski pow pretty centered.

2017-18 Blizzard Spur

... fuck to you sausage fingers, accidental post.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    How does the 16/17 Spur compare to the 4FRNT Renegade (186cm)?
    Old thread bump for this exact question...

Quote Originally Posted by lrn2swim View Post
    Old thread bump for this exact question...
    I haven’t been on the Wrenegade yet, but I spent 1.5 seasons with the Spur as my pow ski.

The spur needs room to run, it’s a big stiff pow ski that needs to go fast to come alive. Once you are moving quick, it’s a blast if the snows soft and smooth. I’m cut up pow, every chance the Spur gets to take off, it will say Giddy Up, and you better be ready to go.

A racer/front of the boot style over a center pow stance does better because the Spur is stiff. Those tails will kick your ass if you get back on them.

For resort/lift access pow, I found more fun skis then the Spur. I would love to give them a run down an AK run some day. That seems like the most appropriate/only place that will do them justice.

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    I haven’t been on the Wrenegade yet, but I spent 1.5 seasons with the Spur as my pow ski.

The spur needs room to run, it’s a big stiff pow ski that needs to go fast to come alive. Once you are moving quick, it’s a blast if the snows soft and smooth. I’m cut up pow, every chance the Spur gets to take off, it will say Giddy Up, and you better be ready to go.

A racer/front of the boot style over a center pow stance does better because the Spur is stiff. Those tails will kick your ass if you get back on them.

For resort/lift access pow, I found more fun skis then the Spur. I would love to give them a run down an AK run some day. That seems like the most appropriate/only place that will do them justice.
    Thanks for the response, I've just read so many different opinions it's hard to know what to think. Some people say it's dead easy to ski and can pivot and slarve at slower speeds no problem and not too stiff and others have the same experiences as you. What gives?

Quote Originally Posted by lrn2swim View Post
    Thanks for the response, I've just read so many different opinions it's hard to know what to think. Some people say it's dead easy to ski and can pivot and slarve at slower speeds no problem and not too stiff and others have the same experiences as you. What gives?
    Is the 17/18 v1 or v2? I was talking about the first version, the white with Black Carbon tips, not the asymmetrical current Spurs. The current Spurs are apparently super easy to Pivot and slarve at all speeds in pow. The v1 Spur was a big stiff Rocker ship I wasn’t man enough to ski all day.