Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

2017-18 Blizzard Spur

Searched and couldn't find anything on here about the 17-18 Spur--

Was at Evo and got a chance to see these in person. Holy . Felt light. And what a wicked asym design from Blizzard. Has anyone been out on these? All I found from Blister was this

http://blistergearreview.com/gear-re...lizzard-spur/2

Anyone have the weight on these suckers?

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    Anyone have the weight on these suckers?
    2252 grams per. They kick ass. Very versatile, smoother and damper but less "edgy" than the previous Spur, the 192 is suitable for skiers from about 180 lbs and up.

https://www.evo.com/guides/alpine-an...ry-ski-weights

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Very versatile, smoother and damper but less "edgy" than the previous Spur, the 192 is suitable for skiers from about 180 lbs and up.
    Actually, I had a gas on them last spring and I weigh around 170 . . . they just look huge.

One of the most fun powder skis I've tried. Very poppy, and VERY loose. Pretty soft, but rally through 1st May chopped up wet 'not-powder' just fine too.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Actually, I had a gas on them last spring and I weigh around 170 . . . they just look huge.
    at 5'6" 160 I'd like to see a 185ish, these look awesome

I ski the asym Spurs since February. Liked the old ones better. The new ones are less damp and by a good amount softer. Very funny in real deep powder but definitely a speed limit in variable conditions and on the way back to the lift which makes the ski kinda one dimensionally.
    Prefer the OG Bodacious on almost every powder day with the exception of those really deep when the visibility is bad, not much is tracked out and the upper mountain is closed anyway.
    Whatever, good lookin and impressive ski for sure.

A 124mm ski is one dimensional? Well shit.

We had this discussion before. Almost every > 120 mm waisted ski is good in powder. But there are just very few which perform well in less than ideal conditions. The old Spur was one of those. In comparison, the new Spur lost a significant amount of the versatility.
    With the old Spur, I was reaching for it like in 8 out of 10 powder days. Now I take the new one in 2 out of 10. This might explain the term one dimensional.

I disagree on the old Spur, it was a little too stiff and chattery and got bounced around in rough or consolidated snow.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    I disagree on the old Spur, it was a little too stiff and chattery and got bounced around in rough or consolidated snow.
    I found original spur (white) to be very stable in crud, preferred speed, but allowed for short swing turns when necessary. Not as you describe....ymmv, of course...5' 10". 165#

I figure new asym spur is lighter, less comfortable in crud and less comfortable at speed....

I will hope to try them and find out!

The old Spur was fun as long as the untracked lasted. After that, they transferred too much energy back to my boots, especially if there was anything hard or lumpy underneath or the snow was wet and dense when skier-compacted. They required a lot of input to turn at any speed below 25 mph, I had to hop to turn them in tight quarters. I'm 5'8" and 170, sold them to a bigger guy.

2017-18 Blizzard Spur

I am a bigger guy, 6-4 220/230 with gear, and the Spurs just were not any fun after the untracked was gone. Either I'm not a good enough skier, or I wasn't strong enough to make them work, but I'd be done after 1pm on a pow day, back and legs were cooked.

I'm sure they are a blast in AK on huge open faces, but skiing all day in bounds on a pow day just want fun. I'd try to smash through stuff and I'd get bounced around. I'd try to pop off the untracked that's left and the skis would go from from fun semi controlled skiing to totally out of control. I did have one of my best days ever on them though, but it dumped all day we kept skiing untracked at Snowbird from open to close.

I am curious to get on the new Spur, but I won't commit and buy a pair until I try them, unlike I did with the old Spur.

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    I am a bigger guy
    Sold mine to a different bigger guy . . .

Strange, the original Spur is my favourite ski ever for resort pow days even when things got cut up. After buying it as a deeper days pow ski I ended up skiing it 90% of the time and adoring it in virtually all conditions. The snow is usually really light and dry here so maybe that had an effect.

I loved them so much I'm a little wary of the changes, and especially the softening up, of the new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky View Post
    Strange, the original Spur is my favourite ski ever for resort pow days even when things got cut up.
    Ignore the Internet chatter and get another pair.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    That's exactly why I sold mine.

I also want to add that PNW cut up conditions are Waaayyy different than just about anywhere else I have ever skied. Tracked out snow here really try most powder skis.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

So talked to spancered athlete at MSP show and he says for sure pow only and not resort. Flexed softer than my white Spurs. For me I'm good with all mtn ripper and will use toons or empire for deeeep days. So like the last one it's limited production and specific. But hey that's why you have a quiver right
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    I am a bigger guy, 6-4 220/230 with gear, and the Spurs just were not any fun after the untracked was gone...
    The old Spurs are only 189cm, which might not be long enough for big guys to like them in many conditions/situations/mount positions. I am big (6'2" 230 lbs), and the 189cm Spurs were too short for my tastes, but I mitigated that as best I could by dialing in the one perfect mount position for me. ...And I believe a longer Spur would have had a larger mount-position sweet spot for me.

- TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

I have the old spur (white) and it is a blast for everything from fresh to chunder. The only issue I have with it is that it beats the shit out of me on the last few runs when I’m a little tired and get a little back seat. I really want to get on the new spur but they didn’t bring it to demo day at Alta.

Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin I View Post
    The old Spurs are only 189cm, which might not be long enough for big guys to like them in many conditions/situations/mount positions. I am big (6'2" 230 lbs), and the 189cm Spurs were too short for my tastes, but I mitigated that as best I could by dialing in the one perfect mount position for me. ...And I believe a longer Spur would have had a larger mount-position sweet spot for me.

Recently I've had this thought too. The OG Spur in 193 or 198, I think, would of been a perfect ski. 189 is just too short, it was too easy to have too much leverage on the front of my boot get the tips to dive. A ski that's 125mm should never have tip dive issues.

Anyone with more time on the new Spur have any more feedback? Thinking about them for a BC cat trip- I want something quick and poppy for trees and pillows that can still be opened up on the higher alpine without worrying about tip dive or having to ride in the backseat.

Quote Originally Posted by wd317 View Post
    Anyone with more time on the new Spur have any more feedback? Thinking about them for a BC cat trip- I want something quick and poppy for trees and pillows that can still be opened up on the higher alpine without worrying about tip dive or having to ride in the backseat.
    billygoats?

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    billygoats?
    Magic Skis.

I've got a lot of lust for the new spurs (for my next big-big day ski - new pow ski is 190 Moment Blister, old is 191 Surface Live Free...118 and 120 waist, respectively). But then I stumbled on some write-ups of Liberty Genomes (yellowgentian.com has a full-on rave review). Which are 141 in the waist, yet would somehow seem less one-dimensional than the spurs. Is this even possible? Anybody been on both?

Old spur seems like it would not be agile enough in tight trees, which is really where I spend the most time these days (when the snow's up at all, once the rest is chopped up).

If reviews are to be believed, Genome seems like the deep day ski for me. But 141 waist sounds pretty ridiculous, so not entirely convinced.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Protest!
    FIFY