Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Talk me out of the Fischer Hannibal by recommending a better 95-100mm touring ski

I like the way the Fischer Air tec TI skis ski. I also like the shapes they make pretty well, and I think this would be a great one quiver touring ski.

However, I care MOST about skiability and weight. I want the ski to perform well on both boilerplate and pow, within reason. I want to keep weight to a minimum but ski ride quality is more important. I am looking for dampness and a nice flex more than shape characteristics. I don't mind a waspy ski. I don't really want a 30m radius thing though.

just assume price is no object, and tell me if there is a much better skiing touring ski in that category. Zero G 95? DPS something? La Sportiva Svelte? Something Dynafit? Something Balsa wood? I haven't skied many new touring skis so I am clueless as to how the different cores perform.

Old Hannibal 94 is very good. I like the Zero G 95 better. Hannibal is a better carver. Easier at slow speeds. Floats a bit better in powder. Wish the tip was a bit stiffer.

Zero G is damper. Better in bad snow and at speed. Looser tail.

New Hannibal tail design looks like an improvement. But it's heavier, I think.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Climber Joe View Post
    just assume price is no object
    V-Werks BMT?

Quote Originally Posted by DIYSteve View Post
    V-Werks BMT?

Aren't those reverse camber? I hate reverse camber.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    what's a 'waspy' ski?
    Skis with tons of taper and really tight sidecut, like the Dynafit Cho Oyu,

I am pretty happy with the Dynafit Denali. Never skied the Hannibel.
    off your knees Louie

I would also love to hear about the

BD Helio 95: the rubber chunk in the sidewall sounds damp

DPS Tour1 construction: Also sounds damp

La Sportiva Vapor Svelte: Anybody have them?

just assume price is no object
    Dynafit Denali?

I've only had mine out in soft snow (and they were awesome!), but reviews from some skimo folks are surprisingly positive for firmer conditions, e.g.:
    http://coldthistle.blogspot.com/2014...it-denali.html

Super light, Camber, tip/tail rocker, <25m turning radius and didn't mind being driven by my MTN Labs/200lb frame. Was actually looking at the Hannibals myself when my daughter surprised me with the Denalis.

Price not being an object may come into play as there had been multiple breakage reports the first couple of years. Not sure if this is an issue that has been addressed or not, which puts a big crappy cloud over this model. Otherwise this ski really seems like a really good evolution of the Cho, especially if ride quality and weight are the priority.

I will speak to the vapor sveltes. In this category I have also skied the zero g 85/95 and the bmt 94.

For the uphill nothing beats the sportiva ski. I have skied this extensively in 178 and 188cm. I found the 178 to be preferable as I am not a big dude (5'9 175) and ski with tlt6p. The 178 I found really fun in short, quick turns, held a great edge, not bad in pow, and not bad in crap snow. It is def a fave ski of mine. The 188 was a pretty substantial ski. I had a harder time making it do the things I made the 178 do. That ski was snappy, stiff, and the real deal. But too much for where I was trying to fit it in my quiver. I also owned the 188 vapor nano and could make that ski do anything- also a favorite ski. But the 188 svelte was just a much more powerful ski that I had a harder time always commanding through all Terrain and snow.

My 186 BMT 94 I found damper than both the zerog and the sportiva. My favorite times for this ski was in 6-12" of pow. Again- not where I wanted it for my quiver. Ski held a good edge but I was looking for a better hard snow performer and I just don't dig full rocker skis for primarily hard snow. But in terms of feel, low swing weight yet damp in the tip, this ski was the best of the few. I just opted to sell my 94s and ordered a new pair of 2018 BMT 90s with camber/rocker profile. Hoping for the best- keep the damp and just fine tuned for more hard snow 🤞

The zerogs rocked hard snow so hard. Plenty light for the up. I found mine to be a little tinny feeling- not as damp as the volkl. More like the sportiva but a little stronger on its laid edge. I skied a lot on zerog 85, a little on 95. The 85s were downright maddening in anything more than 3-4" of snow. I only once skied the 95 in fresh- about 5" where it was very fun. But I bet it'd be annoying in more than 8"- that's just a gut feeling.

These days there are more than a few good choices in this category. I hear good stuff about the black crows ski as well - forget what silly name they call it.

Quote Originally Posted by rangerjake View Post
    I will speak to the vapor sveltes. In this category I have also skied the zero g 85/95 and the bmt 94.

For the uphill nothing beats the sportiva ski. I have skied this extensively in 178 and 188cm. I found the 178 to be preferable as I am not a big dude (5'9 175) and ski with tlt6p. The 178 I found really fun in short, quick turns, held a great edge, not bad in pow, and not bad in crap snow. It is def a fave ski of mine. The 188 was a pretty substantial ski. I had a harder time making it do the things I made the 178 do. That ski was snappy, stiff, and the real deal. But too much for where I was trying to fit it in my quiver. I also owned the 188 vapor nano and could make that ski do anything- also a favorite ski. But the 188 svelte was just a much more powerful ski that I had a harder time always commanding through all Terrain and snow.

My 186 BMT 94 I found damper than both the zerog and the sportiva. My favorite times for this ski was in 6-12" of pow. Again- not where I wanted it for my quiver. Ski held a good edge but I was looking for a better hard snow performer and I just don't dig full rocker skis for primarily hard snow. But in terms of feel, low swing weight yet damp in the tip, this ski was the best of the few. I just opted to sell my 94s and ordered a new pair of 2018 BMT 90s with camber/rocker profile. Hoping for the best- keep the damp and just fine tuned for more hard snow 🤞

The zerogs rocked hard snow so hard. Plenty light for the up. I found mine to be a little tinny feeling- not as damp as the volkl. More like the sportiva but a little stronger on its laid edge. I skied a lot on zerog 85, a little on 95. The 85s were downright maddening in anything more than 3-4" of snow. I only once skied the 95 in fresh- about 5" where it was very fun. But I bet it'd be annoying in more than 8"- that's just a gut feeling.

These days there are more than a few good choices in this category. I hear good stuff about the black crows ski as well - forget what silly name they call it.
    Jason from skimo speaks very highly of the Helio 95 for hard snow. I have never been on a volkl I liked unfortunately, maybe I need to give them a better shot.

I might just choose between the helio and the Hannibal.

Fischer Hannibal 100 on Sierra Trading Post for $349 right now. I grabbed a pair for my wife yesterday. I hope they will be good. Reviews seem quite good.

is this the same ski as the Hannibal 94 ? i am ready to buy
    off your knees Louie

Only have two spring days on my 0G95's so far, one inbounds with Cochise120 and two short tours with Guide Pro. Definitely not undergunned, even inbounds with burly boots. Once you get used to the light weight, the ski rails much harder than you'd expect for a touring ski and made me rethink my heavy metal Mantra/916 daily driver.

The Scott Superguide 95 is an excellent performer & is very durable. IMO it skis better than the BMT & is on par with the Zero G but at a lot lower price. Not tried the Hannibal.

I think there’s an old thread somewhere with lots of discussion of Hannibal. My take on the 100: great on spring snow, not very fun or playful in deeper snow. Mine delammed after moderate use. G3 syanpse is much better in powder. Zerog is better on hardpack. I probably find the zerog 85 about equal to the Hannibal 100 in soft snow fwiw.

I skied on the Kastle TX98 as my touring ski last year and give it high marks across the board. Very light. Very easy skiing in all conditions. Good edgehold in hard snow. My guess is that it doesn't have the edgier feel of the Volkl BMT or the Zero G, but it is surprisingly quick without being at all twitchy. Doesn't get knocked around much in junkier snow/crud. Worth a look. Camber underfoot with moderate tip and tail rocker. I toured on the Fischer Ranger 98 the year before. Really like that ski, but wanted to go lighter so ended up with the Kastle. I'll ski the Kastle again this year and hopefully for many more.

However, I care MOST about skiability and weight. I want the ski to perform well on both boilerplate and pow, within reason. I want to keep weight to a minimum but ski ride quality is more important. I am looking for dampness and a nice flex more than shape characteristics. I don't mind a waspy ski. I don't really want a 30m radius thing though.
    You're asking a lot. The lightest skis in this class (i.e. Zero G 95) are not the most versatile (but it rips and has a lot of guts for its weight). I think the Hannibal 100 is a great all-rounder, decent in powder, easy to turn/pivot. Denali has similar feel (made in the same factory) but lighter and less confident on harder or variable snow. My vote for most versatile is probably the MTN Explore 95.

Scott Superguide 95 - no dentist tail rise

If money is not an issue consider the movement alp tracks. I demoed them in 84. Very responsive but damp and good edge hold. I think the construction is among the best you can get for light touring skis.

Quote Originally Posted by LeoK View Post
    If money is not an issue consider the movement alp tracks. I demoed them in 84. Very responsive but damp and good edge hold. I think the construction is among the best you can get for light touring skis.
    I would love to buy a set of those, but now there its just about impossible to get them in the states. Up through even last year it seems like you could get them. That's for sure on my list.

Skimo.co has the Alp Tracks 94:

https://skimo.co/movement-alp-tracks-94

Or you could go even wider with the Movement Control (didn't you say 95-100mm?), super cheap here:

https://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/sk...nt-control-ski

"He thinks the carpet pissers did this?"

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Skimo.co has the Alp Tracks 94:

https://skimo.co/movement-alp-tracks-94

Or you could go even wider with the Movement Control (didn't you say 95-100mm?), super cheap here:

https://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/sk...nt-control-ski
    I think the control is a really different ski but I don't know where to put it. Seems no longer in the line up.
    The alp tracks is really a big difference in construction to the rest of the line as far as I know. In direct comparison to the predecessors (...-X family) the ski a lot better as the carbon typical chattery is reduced a lot.
    The Alp Tracks 100 seems to have significant tip rocker.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Suncloud View Post
    Scott Superguide 95 - no dentist tail rise
    How’s the tip rocker? I have the older powdair that really has no rocker even though they say it has.

I think I’ll be getting a Hannibal 96 this year. Checks allot of boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    I think I’ll be getting a Hannibal 96 this year. Checks allot of boxes.
    I am starting to think that too. A fair bit cheaper than some of the other options too.