Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    No man, dental care in the USA is the worst. No way to properly insure against it and ridiculous prices.
    It’s the Wild West.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Interesting, the past two years I have elected to not get employer provided dental insurance and paid 639$ for the insurance plan offered by my dentist - they own private plan. Also spent 16,000 on dentist - Oral surgeon last year. I will spend another 20,000 this year.

High end dentistry is a rich mans sport in the USA. And I aint rich
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Dental insurance in the US is like playing blackjack. You might win once in awhile but play enough and the house is going to take your money. You'll average $400-500 a year in premium. If you get your two cleanings a year for free (about $300) you're doing better. Any major care and the insurance company will pay out $1,000-1,500 max per year. Most people don't have major care every year so over your lifetime, you're getting screwed. The best way to handle it is pay for dental care with no insurance out of an HSA (tax free) and negotiate a cash price with your dentist for services. Vision insurance is even a worse deal than dental.

More and more, the main advantage and "benefit" of having some kind of healthcare or dental plan isn't whether or not the procedure is covered or at what %. The advantage/benefit is that the provider charges you a MUCH LOWER RATE than walk in, non insured people have to pay out of pocket. They give a different charge to the folks who belong to a plan called "the preferred provider discount" which is often less than half what they would bill non insured people. So, even with a high deductible plan what you pay out of pocket is for a procedure is quite a bit less than a non insured person pays for the exact same procedure even if your insurance doesn't pay a dime of it your bill is still way lower than the non insured person's bill for the exact same thing. It's that special rate that is the true benefit for most these days in the high deductible world we live in.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    All insurance in the US is like playing blackjack. You might win once in awhile but play enough and the house is going to take your money.
    Fixed that for you.

Biggest fucking scam. Time for single payer. GOP did a great job of ruining Obamacare and the blowback is going to result in single payer.

^ I doubt it

i believe in single payer but I don't think it will happen

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    More and more, the main advantage and "benefit" of having some kind of healthcare or dental plan isn't whether or not the procedure is covered or at what %. The advantage/benefit is that the provider charges you a MUCH LOWER RATE than walk in, non insured people have to pay out of pocket. They give a different charge to the folks who belong to a plan called "the preferred provider discount" which is often less than half what they would bill non insured people. So, even with a high deductible plan what you pay out of pocket is for a procedure is quite a bit less than a non insured person pays for the exact same procedure even if your insurance doesn't pay a dime of it your bill is still way lower than the non insured person's bill for the exact same thing. It's that special rate that is the true benefit for most these days in the high deductible world we live in.
    True for medical. Not so much for dental. Most dentists I know will negotiate on a cash price that is as good or better than their network discount price. Medical is a different story. Dental will pay out a max of around $1,000. Medical is unlimited.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Billed amount for altachic's MRI a few years ago was ~$5k, plan's allowed amount was ~$1k. Crazy. The MRI itself was classic bullshit defensive medicine, but I digress.

just got a quote on MRI for shoulder
    $1232 billed
    $822, per agreement w/ my insurance co, subject to my deductible (which i get to pay)
    $740 if paid lump sum (10% discount), otherwise 12mo payment plan avail to add up to $822

Those of you with Obamacare how much is your premium going up?

I went from $450 to &630 in one yr.

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post

I have insurance through work, so can’t speak from experience, but I do recall reading that you basically have to check the exchanges each year as companies pricing changes constantly, so just because one provider had competitive pricing one year doesn’t mean they will the next.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    I have insurance through work, so can’t speak from experience, but I do recall reading that you basically have to check the exchanges each year as companies pricing changes constantly, so just because one provider had competitive pricing one year doesn’t mean they will the next.

You are correct. Changed company form only 59 more. But god damn, raises like that should be capped.

But god damn, raises like that should be capped.
    Why do you hate capitalism?

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    I do hate it when it comes to provider costs and dipshits who think that’s not somehow passed on to us.

Show me someone that actually reads their hospital bill before bagging on insurance companies and I’ll have hope we can fix the problem.

Until then, play your stupid games.

My premium is a little over $1k a month for 13 more months. Fucking ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

health care shouldn't be a for profit driven industry
    when you are paying out of the ass for health insurance have to argue with the insurance companies to advocate for your best care that is bullshit
    they will do everything to not pay for your care if they can
    wait till you start racking up 100,000.00 of dollars and in health care costs and you'll change your view quick

to answer cono's question

I have some sort of offset the state of colorado is paying anthem directly to lower my premiums don't know what it is eventually it will disappear
    I try to find the best plan possible and will pay for it
    at one point around 2019 I was paying $950.00 month
    after polis's subsidy it dropped
    last year it was $609.00 month
    2023 it is going up to $650.00 a month
    the kicker is total out of pocket went from $7,500 to $9,500
    deductible went from $2,500 to $3,500 roughly
    looked for a plan with 2k deductible and a 6k out of pocket no dice
    we only have one provider anthem where I live
    I looked for a better plan and there were lots to chose from all anthem but the numbers were just shifted slightly like a game of three card monty it was weird as shit and made no sense to me

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    health care shouldn't be a for profit driven industry
    when you are paying out of the ass for health insurance have to argue with the insurance companies to advocate for your best care that is bullshit
    they will do everything to not pay for your care if they can
    wait till you start racking up 100,000.00 of dollars and in health care costs and you'll change your view quick
    Guess I should have put the /s on my post. With you 100% on the fact that it’s shouldn’t be profit driven. I’m easily in the $100k plus club, my main medication is $13k every 8 weeks. Luckily the Mrs is a teacher and we have good coverage to offset her subpar salary and shitty working conditions. I’m also very aware of how privileged we are to have that good coverage.

It pisses my off when people like CE act all pissed off about something we can easily change. Literally every other 1st world country has figured out how to provide medical coverage for their entire population but simps like him only support a political party that does everything they can to prevent that kind of progress.

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    just got a quote on MRI for shoulder
    $1232 billed
    $822, per agreement w/ my insurance co, subject to my deductible (which i get to pay)
    $740 if paid lump sum (10% discount), otherwise 12mo payment plan avail to add up to $822
    Health care being run like a used car dealership is such fucking bullshit.

Guess I should have put the /s on my post. With you 100% on the fact that it’s shouldn’t be profit driven. I’m easily in the $100k plus club, my main medication is $13k every 8 weeks. Luckily the Mrs is a teacher and we have good coverage to offset her subpar salary and shitty working conditions. I’m also very aware of how privileged we are to have that good coverage.

It pisses my off when people like CE act all pissed off about something we can easily change. Literally every other 1st world country has figured out how to provide medical coverage for their entire population but simps like him only support a political party that does everything they can to prevent that kind of progress.
    your good then I slept today so my A game isn't up yet

CE does hate himeself and capitalism and that is ok

15k for drugs is stupid I'm sure you can fly over to europe and get the same drugs for $300.00 or less but hedge funds and investors need to make money right?

Quote Originally Posted by DBdude View Post
    ^ I doubt it

i believe in single payer but I don't think it will happen
    Exactly, especially in light of the fact the GQP is pressing for huge cuts or discontinuing SS, Medicare, etc. The future for healthcare in this country is bleak unless the kids start voting those GQP cunts out, as the boomers don't have the numbers to get it done by themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Exactly, especially in light of the fact the GQP is pressing for huge cuts or discontinuing SS, Medicare, etc. The future for healthcare in this country is bleak unless the kids start voting those GQP cunts out, as the boomers don't have the numbers to get it done by themselves.
    the boomers don't give a shit about health insurance as long as no one touches their medicare

as if gov't run healthcare can be any worse than the private corporations hiding behind religious organizations and for profit insurance companies
    my cousin told me that health insurance companies are moving closer to paying out what medicare and medicad pay out these days anyways so why are they even playing middleman anymore? oh yeah profits

Fuck standard healthcare. If you're just buying coverage for yourself, look into a Health Share program; I've got Zion Health but there are a bunch of legit options. As a 44 yr old, I pay $240/mo and it covers essentially everything with just a $1000 deductible / max out of pocket per event. Plus, there's no network which is pretty wonderful. I just had knee surgery and got to pick my doctor and post-op PT, which was quite refreshing compared to past history using standard health care plans.

On another note, self-pay (but I'm getting reimbursed after the fact) for providers allows them to offer ridiculous discounts. I paid $475 for an MRI, list price was $1200. I paid just over $5000 to the surgery facility, pre-discount was $9000+.

Health Share plans are not subject to regulatory enforcement:

For many California residents, health share plans are not the right option for funding their health care costs. These plans offer few protections and are not guaranteed to pay for your treatment or reimburse you for your out-of-pocket payments.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Health Share plans are not subject to regulatory enforcement:

For many California residents, health share plans are not the right option for funding their health care costs. These plans offer few protections and are not guaranteed to pay for your treatment or reimburse you for your out-of-pocket payments.
    This is the truth in pretty much all states. Fine print on most says they can also deny claims if you get pregnant out of wedlock, drink or smoke, gay stuff, etc. Pretty much a blanket sin exclusion that is arbitrarily enforced. They can also deny coverage if you are unwilling to profess your belief, love and commitment to god.

I always thought if god cared, insurance wouldn’t be necessary.