Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Health Insurance?

We've always had insurance through my wife's job but the company is being broken up and sold off and our insurance is set to run out 12/31. We've never had to buy insurance before so I'm totally new to this. The wife's running a start-up but there really aren't any employees yet although that will probably change (will change if all goes as hoped).

Who has a clue on this? Should we do Obamacare? (we wouldn't qualify for subsidies) Go straight to a private company? Do Blue Cross/Blue Shield? Set up a company policy despite the lack of employees? Steer me in the right direction please, I have basically no clue what I'm doing here. Which is pretty normal for me, but this is a whole brand-new area of incompetence.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    We've always had insurance through my wife's job but the company is being broken up and sold off and our insurance is set to run out 12/31. We've never had to buy insurance before so I'm totally new to this. The wife's running a start-up but there really aren't any employees yet although that will probably change (will change if all goes as hoped).

Who has a clue on this? Should we do Obamacare? (we wouldn't qualify for subsidies) Go straight to a private company? Do Blue Cross/Blue Shield? Set up a company policy despite the lack of employees? Steer me in the right direction please, I have basically no clue what I'm doing here. Which is pretty normal for me, but this is a whole brand-new area of incompetence.

Thanks.
    The place to start is probably the ACA exchange. There ought to be some decent options there for you.

Yeah thanks I was looking at their site earlier but I wasn't sure if I was going in the right direction at all.

"Penatrode Blue Jean Health Services"

new start up i've heard of,

revolutionizing health care

and skiing in jeans.

on another note, hope your health is good, will rip a few lines this year for you!

Previous employer should provide Cobra by law. It's worth looking into the exchanges with open enrollment coming up.

Subsidies are based on income, not assets, so if you have no income you can still get subsidies.

Thanks b, I'm doing okay, a few bumps in the road (or head) notwithstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Previous employer should provide Cobra by law. It's worth looking into the exchanges with open enrollment coming up.

Subsidies are based on income, not assets, so if you have no income you can still get subsidies.
    Well we'll have no (or practically no) outside income next year but this year's tax return will show a lot, do you know if that can be finessed somehow? If you don't know I can just call them I guess, so no worries.

We're doing the cobra deal.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Yeah I gotta look into that, can you do Cobra if the company doesn't exist anymore is the question I guess.

I know people that do this. I will use the loophole myself.

https://www.cnbc.com/2016/01/27/they...subsidies.html

Yeah I gotta look into that, can you do Cobra if the company doesn't exist anymore is the question I guess.
    If cobra were available you would probably already know.

I found this:

http://info.cobraguard.net/COBRA-blo...oses-its-Doors

COBRA only exists if the health plan exists. So, the length of COBRA availability depends entirely upon the business’ timeline and approach to ceasing operations.

So it depends on how long the plan is paid out by the company.

move to canada? might be too cold to ski in jeans?

Thanks fellas does look like COBRA is out from that.

And Canadia is pretty attractive I'll say that much.

So, it's ACA time. I've postponed that until next year even thought this years income is way down.

One things I've noticed is that it seems the more personified a topic gets, the more idiotic the discussion becomes.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    I know people that do this. I will use the loophole myself.

https://www.cnbc.com/2016/01/27/they...subsidies.html
    Thanks for that. Interdasting.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    One things I've noticed is that it seems the more personified a topic gets, the more idiotic the discussion becomes.
    Yeah but it's mind over matter. If you don't mind it doesn't matter. Figured this would devolve at some point but I've already gotten some stuff out of it so I'm fine with it.

Health Insurance?

I have 12 months subsidized cobra. When I roll off is when we see. Sometimes it is better to not go in Cobra and roll straight into the exchange. Because, if you are rolling off an employer sponsored health plan your options might be better vs rolling off an expired Cobra plan. E.g. More plans available under that circumstance. Especially if you have limited income.

i've been close w the medical field my entire life, had my own doctor, until he up and died on me 13 yrs ago.

the 5 gen apothecary is still kicking at 75.

it's a brave new world

cadillac plans are gone/few and far between.

a retired finance vp friend pays north of 12 k a yr for cadillac plan.

you have money, you will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    a retired finance vp friend pays north of 12 k a yr for cadillac plan.
    Pretty standard. My Cobra rate when I roll off for a HDP is $750 mo. No where near Cadillac.

@by: Yeah it's gonna work out, I'm just trying to go in the right direction is all.

The wife's running a start-up but there really aren't any employees yet although that will probably change (will change if all goes as hoped).
    Where do I apply?

Are you still in Boston? Looks like we're moving to Westport if we don't get divorced or someone gets murdered first. I think the company will work it's probably about a year early for a person of your caliber right now though.

Here's their site, it's only been up for a week or so, there's issues but they will get fixed: 2betties.com

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    apothecary
    English motherfucker, do you speak it?