Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Watching Jaws

Bad Boys with Sean Penn is another one I could watch any time. Unfortunately the only Bad Boys they show on cable these days is the kinda lame one with Will Smith. The REAL Bad Boys has been forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Jaws is one of those movies I will watch any time I come across it on cable. Ditto The Shining, Godfather (1 or 2), The Green Mile, Delores Claiborne, Fast Times at Ridgemont High (uncensored), National Lampoon's ANIMAL HOUSE...that is the funniest movie ever made IMO.
    FIFY. While so many great ones mentioned here, for sure I can remember every single line in that movie.

"What am I now? I'm a ZIT". Fucking Belushi - a comedy genius unequaled in the last 50 years. Try watching Samurai Delicatessen and not wanting to cheer.

Never seen it.

I was 11 summer of 75, saw it on the big screen. I recall, accross the board, the scene when the head comes out of the bottom of the boat; by far the single scariest thing we'd ever seen.

Until alien came out.
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by MARSHALL TUCKER View Post
    I was 11 summer of 75, saw it on the big screen. I recall, accross the board, the scene when the head comes out of the bottom of the boat; by far the single scariest thing we'd ever seen.

Until alien came out.
    Yes! I was 10 and nearly shit my pants

this movie fucked up my trip to southern Italy in 1976.
    I was there for 3 months and the sea and beach was so incredibly pristine and beautiful but it took me over a month to go into the water.
    Just as I was getting used to the idea no shark was going to kill me someone yells out shark. I was in the water and must have broke some swimming record getting to shore. With my heart pounding and the feeling of overwhelming fear I watched this shark go along the shoreline.
    After that swimming was not fun and I stayed close to shore. Very close.
    I wish I never watched Jaws..it traumatized me like no other movie. The Exorcist was a cake walk compared to Jaws.

The Exorcist was a cake walk compared to Jaws.
    Jaws never kept me out of the water, but the Exorcist still creeps me out big time. One of the all-time scariest movies IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Jaws never kept me out of the water, but the Exorcist still creeps me out big time. One of the all-time scariest movies IMO.
    I admit the 1st time I saw it I was spooked but Jaws still affects to this date. Watched a large shadow follow me in 10 years ago in Maui and minutes later a guy floating around the break wall had his leg bit. All that fear came back and I now can not swim in deep water.

Irony is I love sharks and find them fascinating but again wish I never watched Jaws. F'n Spielberg

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    None of those should be mentioned in the same breath as Jaws.
    This ^^^
    Education must be the answer, we've tried ignorance and it doesn't work!

wife tells of an epic tale that took place in small town USA, back in '81, at the age of nine, when she and her two sisters were dropped off at the indoor community pool one Friday evening for movie night. about 100+ kids crowded into the pool along with their choice of flotation device. with all kids settled into position, the lights turned off, place went blackout, and up on the big screen, JAWS...

she said it was one of the more super fucking mental experiences she's had to date. (surprisingly no kid drowned)
    style matters...

Quote Originally Posted by I, the Powfinder View Post
    wife tells of an epic tale that took place in small town USA, back in '81, at the age of nine, when she and her two sisters were dropped off at the indoor community pool one Friday evening for movie night. about 100+ kids crowded into the pool along with their choice of flotation device. with all kids settled into position, the lights turned off, place went blackout, and up on the big screen, JAWS...

she said it was one of the more super fucking mental experiences she's had to date. (surprisingly no kid drowned)
    ^ That's awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I totally want to organize my kids next sleepover around a poolside jaws viewing!

Quote Originally Posted by seano732 View Post
    Absolutely fucking classic......^^^^
    You say that right You can watch movies jaws at this site moviesonline.ac

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I believe Jaws is the greatest horror movie ever made.

If the goal of a horror movie is to scare the viewer, what movie did it better than Jaws? Entire towns were financially devastated by that movie, because people stopped going to the beach for a while. That's some serious real life from a fictional movie.
    I screamed like a bitch for years after every time a piece of seaweed brushed up against me. I'm over it now, thank god, because diving and snorkeling (along with skiing) are the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

Robert Shaw's scene in the cabin when he is talking about his navy buddies who were attacked by skarks is one of the most intense moments in movie history. What a great actor he was and apparently he was drinking heavily throughout the filming.
    I would say that The Exorcist is the scariest movie I've ever seen I couldn't walk down the hall to my bedroom after sneaking into the theater because my friends and I were under age. What a big pussy but to this day the song tubular bells still creeps me out

i thought i read shaw ad-libbed most of that scene

Steven Spielberg: I owe three people a lot for this speech. You’ve heard all this, but you’ve probably never heard it from me. There’s a lot of apocryphal reporting about who did what on Jaws and I’ve heard it for the last three decades, but the fact is the speech was conceived by Howard Sackler, who was an uncredited writer, didn’t want a credit and didn’t arbitrate for one, but he’s the guy that broke the back of the script before we ever got to Martha’s Vineyard to shoot the movie.

I hired later Carl Gottlieb to come onto the island, who was a friend of mine, to punch up the script, but Howard conceived of the Indianapolis speech. I had never heard of the Indianapolis before Howard, who wrote the script at the Bel Air Hotel and I was with him a couple times a week reading pages and discussing them.

Howard one day said, “Quint needs some motivation to show all of us what made him the way he is and I think it’s this Indianapolis incident.” I said, “Howard, what’s that?” And he explained the whole incident of the Indianapolis and the Atomic Bomb being delivered and on its way back it was sunk by a submarine and sharks surrounded the helpless sailors who had been cast adrift and it was just a horrendous piece of World War II history. Howard didn’t write a long speech, he probably wrote about three-quarters of a page.

But then, when I showed the script to my friend John Milius, John said “Can I take a crack at this speech?” and John wrote a 10 page monologue, that was absolutely brilliant, but out-sized for the Jaws I was making! (laughs) But it was brilliant and then Robert Shaw took the speech and Robert did the cut down. Robert himself was a fine writer, who had written the play The Man in the Glass Booth. Robert took a crack at the speech and he brought it down to five pages. So, that was sort of the evolution just of that speech.