buying plane tickets that can be changed

I've almost never bought a ticket that I could change (without paying some penalty that is often close to the cost of the ticket itself). I need to fly NYC to AK at the end of March, staying for a little over a week. If the weather looks questionable within a week of departure I would like to be able to change the ticket--which would likely mean moving it back a week, or possibly 10-12 months. So this is the one time I think I may need to buy a (refundable?) ticket that I can change.

Also, unless there is some way I don't know about to get from Anchorage to Cordova I think my only airline option is Alaska.

Anything to know or do I just have to pony up some premium to get this kind of ticket? Wondering if there's a credit card I could use or something that might allow you to change tickets. I know this is probably a stupid question to those who have purchased these kinds of tickets, but like I said, I basically never have.

One thing I was considering was just waiting to purchase a ticket until a week or so before departure, but I'm a bit concerned about seat availability and getting gouged on the price.
    [quote][//quote]

Yes. Full fare. Go through a Travel Agent.

In my experience flying to Juneau and yakutat flight availability shouldn't be an issue that time of year. There isn't much going on and the main tourist season hasn't started. And yes, I think Alaska is your only option.

Get a Netjets Marquis Card.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird View Post
    In my experience flying to Juneau and yakutat flight availability shouldn't be an issue that time of year. There isn't much going on and the main tourist season hasn't started. And yes, I think Alaska is your only option.
    I think flight availability could be an issue because I have to do NYC-Seattle first, and I believe at least one of those flights last time (I had to go through Chicago) was sold out. So as I think about it now, waiting until the last minute may not be an option.

Full fare...oh well.
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post

Also, unless there is some way I don't know about to get from Anchorage to Cordova I think my only airline option is Alaska.

Call Cordova Air. If they can't fly you, they know who will.

You can charter anything from a kiteboard to a C5 out of Anchorage, Dex. And they go when you want.

Wx in Late March in PWS is eith bluebird & windy, or socked in.

Steelhead?

"One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

this is why you need an Alaska Airlines credit card. Mileage program is easy to use especially that time of year. The ferry runs whittier to cordova but could be tough and expensive to get to Whittier that time of year. I think we still may have the high speed so it is a nice trip. As for changing . My son missed the flight monday. It cost $150 plus 13000 more miles to go the next day. I think if you want to go with a similar miles ticket you just pay the change fee $150. But I am not a travel agent just a Cordovan. So IMHO Alaska Airline credit card.
    off your knees Louie

Too bad Reeve Aleutian Airways is no longer around!!

1. Use an airline buddy pass. You fly standby, but you can change them. Kind of a hassle since most planes are full nowadays.

2. Fly Southwest to SEA. Pay the last minute full price fare for the last leg.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    I think flight availability could be an issue because I have to do NYC-Seattle first, and I believe at least one of those flights last time (I had to go through Chicago) was sold out. So as I think about it now, waiting until the last minute may not be an option.

Full fare...oh well.
    I've never booked less than a month out. AK Air should be direct ewr to Seattle. But yeah, full fare is probably the safe bet.

I believe Alaska is an American Airlines partner. If you book a flight on American using points (but in reality it's a flight on Alaska), and have to cancel, you can rebook the same trip in the future without cost. I think there's a 1- year window to rebook.

I don't know if you can do the same thing with paid tickets on American, but worth looking.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Don't you usually have the option to buy trip insurance for a few bucks that has the option to cancel the flight? It seems like I normally see that.

Trip insurance has specific reasons you can cancel, like if your arm got chopped off. I don't think "it's too cloudy" qualifies.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    Call Cordova Air. If they can't fly you, they know who will.

You can charter anything from a kiteboard to a C5 out of Anchorage, Dex. And they go when you want.

Wx in Late March in PWS is eith bluebird & windy, or socked in.

Steelhead?
    Wouldn't be against it, but not planning on it. PNH, so hopefully bluebird fly days.

Need to double check how the insurance could work. I think generally Hutash is right, 'It might be cloudy so the heli won't fly and I want to change my flight' probably doesn't do it, but they did recommend some sort of insurance so maybe there's a loophole.
    [quote][//quote]

I would talk to PNH. I do not think it is that easy to change your week. I am also curious if insurance will cover your $3000 deposit if you decide you do not like the weather. I have always found PNH to be one of the more honest operations as regards to weather, conditions, and how they operate they pretty much tell it like it is.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    I would talk to PNH. I do not think it is that easy to change your week. I am also curious if insurance will cover your $3000 deposit if you decide you do not like the weather. I have always found PNH to be one of the more honest operations as regards to weather, conditions, and how they operate they pretty much tell it like it is.
    I will double check, but I'm pretty sure I can apply the deposit to another week. If not then maybe I'm stuck just going regardless and hoping for the best. There were a lot of guys who switched weeks last year when they were shut out for the majority of the season.

Obviously I'm not counting on being able to just choose another week this year as they are often fully booked in advance.

edit: so I just checked with what PNH sent me, and they recommend a few insurance policies that (according to PNH) will cover you based on inclement weather. I'm sure there is some insurance language to go through in the policies, but I guess that is the way to go--supposedly you can get everything (airfare, lodging, heli time) covered. I think to get PNH to move stuff around for you, unless it's a long time in advance, they have to like you enough to agree to do it.

Will start looking through the insurance--I wonder if they have any limitations on whether or not you can pull the plug at the last minute.
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Trip insurance has specific reasons you can cancel, like if your arm got chopped off. I don't think "it's too cloudy" qualifies.
    Probably right. I booked a frequent flyer reward ticket recently and it gave me some option for trip cancellation insurance and said it would redeposit 100% of the miles if I couldn't make the trip. I didn't look up the reasons because I wasn't that interested.

Looking at delta.com it appears that you can cancel reward tickets at least 72 hours in advance and only lose $150.

It looks like changes/cancellation are $125.00 on Alaska. https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...ices-fees.aspx

Free if it's in-state travel.

Which bathroom will they use?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Third floor?

But that's been slayed.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<