Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I still have my 2008 spec enduro with the e150 fork. I'm a (overweight and out of shape) hack, but no complaints with it other than the cost and time of spec service. If anyone has links for resources or videos on how to rebuilt this fork at home, I'd appreciate it. It'll be a few years yet before I can even contemplate a new bike...

This this this and this

Push should make a triple enduro fork. That would fit well with an 11/6. That spesh fork had some good designs apart from the damping. One piece stem/crown(just the stems were too long) and the no steerer clamping thing. Not sure if that axle was needed though. A 5lb triple with push internals. Sign me up

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    8mm shorter on the Patrol.
    Well, I offered the worms, but no bass struck. Is 8mm enough to cause such things as less stability in corners? Surely someone out there has a micrometer's sense of bike geometry changes.

Maybe everyone's "researching" on pinkbike to see what "the industry" thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    A 5lb triple with push internals. Sign me up
    "Looks like you have 5 cavities today, Mr Jones."

Our quoted dentist, Philmoor Tieth DDS, estimates that 5 fillings will pay for the Push fork + installation.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMountainHound View Post
    I still have my 2008 spec enduro with the e150 fork. I'm a (overweight and out of shape) hack, but no complaints with it other than the cost and time of spec service. If anyone has links for resources or videos on how to rebuilt this fork at home, I'd appreciate it. It'll be a few years yet before I can even contemplate a new bike...
    I drilled holes in the damper piston in mine. Makes a big difference. If you don't mind taking chances with cutting threads, I bet you could fit a charger damper from a boxxer in there. Obviously any damper from a single crown won't be long enough. Bug Steve at Vorsprung suspension with all dumb ideas. That's what I do

I had the first gen one which was horrible. The ones after 2008 were supposedly a lot better. You may have one of those. Even if you don't, if you're happy with it, why bother. Maybe sell it to Grinch.

Grinch: those forks had steerer clamps on the top crown. And they made a 50mm stem. Push would never make something like that. The denstists would scoff.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post
    Well, I offered the worms, but no bass struck. Is 8mm enough to cause such things as less stability in corners? Surely someone out there has a micrometer's sense of bike geometry changes.
    Pretty sure Gwinn cased Chads Gap and broke both his ankles specifically because of the move to shorter chainstays.

Pretty sure Gwinn cased Chads Gap and broke both his ankles specifically because of the move to shorter chainstays.
    HA!
    So he's no longer with us then...?

Forever known as the Double Bryceland.

Grinch, I have an 09 36 TALAS, 1 1/8 steerer that I'm not using any more. Not beat to shit. Treated with due respect, hydraulically speaking. The TALAS bit needs a refresh, it doesn't like to find the bottom, lowest setting. 160mm-130-110? -100? Crown doesn't creak, at least under my decrepit and featherweight use.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo;5110745

(because you knew it was coming)
    [url
    http://theteamrobot.blogspot.com/2015/01/baby-shocks.html[/url]
    Wait, that's my bike. I went through a lot of emotions reading that. At first, I was validated buying it. Then, before his 'big' issue was revealed, I resigned myself to being what he described, a slow average rider who likes this bike. Shit. Ok, fine. I'm never the fastest rider out of my friends anyways. Not even close. Then, he says the issue was with the rear shock travel. YES, that's my issue from day one! I am a MAN! I thought my rear shock issue was because I didn't buy the top-o-the-line Reign and i had a low-end shock I had to pump so much air in my wimpy wrists began to sprain-sprain. I replaced my shock coincidentally with a coil recently because of this, and it's much better now. I love it, but haven't ridden any super gnar with it. But I can say it was a huge fucking improvement through big bumps and rocks and super gnar is probably, most likely, easier to negotiate now.

Then, as my ego is superficially inflated for realizing what a manly robot figured out by just reading simple specs (took me a year of riding to figure out what he did in 15 minutes) he mentions something about Canes being unridable.

What? But, but, I bought a Cane coil. Is he talking only about air Canes? Oh, my ego. My ego has a short stroke now too. Oh no, bros. Ha, fuck it, either way the new coil is a god damn god-send for this poseur. (But this whole thread makes me realize I don't know anything about bikes.)

Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post
    Forever known as the Double Bryceland.

Grinch, I have an 09 36 TALAS, 1 1/8 steerer that I'm not using any more. Not beat to shit. Treated with due respect, hydraulically speaking. The TALAS bit needs a refresh, it doesn't like to find the bottom, lowest setting. 160mm-130-110? -100? Crown doesn't creak, at least under my decrepit and featherweight use.
    So it's not a CF, only slightly an F. Har har har.
    They're hard to find. Any good forks with 1 1/8 steerer these days , for that matter. I put a 180 lyric on my 160 bike(hence the 64 ha). Was able to get my new scout 3build with a lyric 160 on it. Bike shop was nice enough to throw a 180 shaft in it so swapped my dvo diamond on to the scout and lyric onto the rune. I do have a friend that has me on a bit of a search for a decent 1 1/8 fork though. Family guy so he's on a serious bike budget. I pieced him together an older kona hardtail with a Marzocchi exr onto an older intense spider frame. Off our online classified all together for 800cad a few years ago. That old exr is sketching me out. They were the bad years.He's starting to follow his boy around and the boy is very fit. His frame is a large. Not sure of ht length. I think if he could dial it down to 140 he'd be good.Maybe think about a price and pm me , if you think the steerer is long enough,and I'll check with him. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Wait, that's my bike. I went through a lot of emotions reading that. At first, I was validated buying it. Then, before his 'big' issue was revealed, I resigned myself to being what he described, a slow average rider who likes this bike. Shit. Ok, fine. I'm never the fastest rider out of my friends anyways. Not even close. Then, he says the issue was with the rear shock travel. YES, that's my issue from day one! I am a MAN! I thought my rear shock issue was because I didn't buy the top-o-the-line Reign and i had a low-end shock I had to pump so much air in my wimpy wrists began to sprain-sprain. I replaced my shock coincidentally with a coil recently because of this, and it's much better now. I love it, but haven't ridden any super gnar with it. But I can say it was a huge fucking improvement through big bumps and rocks and super gnar is probably, most likely, easier to negotiate now.

Then, as my ego is superficially inflated for realizing what a manly robot figured out by just reading simple specs (took me a year of riding to figure out what he did in 15 minutes) he mentions something about Canes being unridable.

What? But, but, I bought a Cane coil. Is he talking only about air Canes? Oh, my ego. My ego has a short stroke now too. Oh no, bros. Ha, fuck it, either way the new coil is a god damn god-send for this poseur. (But this whole thread makes me realize I don't know anything about bikes.)
    That team robot is hilarious and pretty much nails it. Although I like Caesars take on it too. We all need the good shit to go fast, just one persons fast is another persons slow. One mans ceiling is another mans floor. Where you are doesn't matter as long as it's fun.I think team robot is talking about the cc db air. They have a bit of a bad rap but not as bad as the inline. I put a cc db coil on my rune and feel the same as you. Transformed the bike into a shark eating monster plus it's great for seated climbing through the rough(doesn't get hung up on roots just rolls thru them). I also see what he's saying too, besides engineers don't listen, on those little e 2 e shocks. I guess that's why I'm always screwing with my tiny shock on my scout. Crazy high air psi and nowhere near the dampening adjustments of the cc db coil we have. He forgot about the dvo jade though. Super low psi's , tuneable damping, durable , really good price,and ez to work on and a bladder system. It's going to have to wait but I think the scout will get that

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    engineers don't listen, on those little e 2 e shocks. I guess that's why I'm always screwing with my tiny shock on my scout.

Nope

He's not bagging on 'little shocks' he's bagging on high leverage ratios resulting from short shocks on long travel bikes. Your scout is not one of those, and actually has a relatively low overall leverage ratio and in no way shape or form falls into what he's going on about.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

This this this and this

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Nope

He's not bagging on 'little shocks' he's bagging on high leverage ratios resulting from short shocks on long travel bikes. Your scout is not one of those, and actually has a relatively low overall leverage ratio and in no way shape or form falls into what he's going on about.
    Oh ok. Ya the old reign x used to milk 170/6.7" out of the same 7.875x2.25 shocker. Think I'd still like some adjustment there, more oil and something with less psi or even a little coil shock with a piggy back. End up taking it on some long downs occasionally. Remote for the compression dial would be a nice addition as well

My next build will be Teamrobot approved shock sizing. 146mm of travel from 65mm of shock travel.

My next build will be Teamrobot approved shock sizing. 146mm of travel from 65mm of shock travel.
    How's the dev on that coming, I think I may have missed the last round of drawings on FB(?).

Eager to see this one, you still riding ShirkFS ver 1.0?

ShirkFS V1.0 is still in service.

Back in April I finally busted the rear end on it. It broke where is should have based on poor design on my part. After a couple months of thinking I'd scramble to build a quick n dirty hardtail to ride while i worked on v2.0 design I shelved the hardtail and just build a new rear end for V1.0, so now it's V1.1.

We brought tiny human number 2 into our lives 6 months ago so garage time has been slim, but getting closer to welding tubes for V2.0.

V2.0 has been a longer design ordeal than I thought it was going to be. It started life as a 29'er then back to 650, and now back to 29er. The suspension layout went from a vertical shock along the seat tube with a link similar to the Focus Fold link to now the shock sitting low slung along the downtube with a short link driven by a rocker. The basic layout I am using has been used in various forms many times. Originally I had a "tunnel" at the seat tube similar to the Transition TR500 Dh bike but tossed out. The rear triangle/swingarm has been the catch point. Had something drawn up with chainstay below the chain then went elevated chainstay, not back to a design below the chainstay. I don't want to use off the shelf dropouts so lots of design work there still yet to finish and get waterjet cut.

But geo and suspension kinematics are finally locked down. I'll start a thread for it soon once I get going on the physical building.

This this this and this

I was wondering how 1.0 was doing. Numbers looked fun. Be cool to follow v2. BOTD a couple days ago on vital was a DIY build, chromo high pivot. Had a lot of work into it with a link, low shock and a tunnel. No paint looked factory cool
    http://m.vitalmtb.com/community/Jet-...13/setup,35360

Looks like he is using the Devinci Wilson bb pivot/rocker.

I have burned a number of hours in Linkage trying to see about updating the old Sunn Radical pull link with the link and shock stuffed down there like that but can't get a leverage curve shape I like.

You plan on using an air shock? If so I'd change that.

There's a reason some bikes like the giant and turners use high leverage ratios with air shocks. And it has everything to do with gaining small bump compliance. It just sucks when you're ape size like charliebot and you end up running really high pressures. But those shocks are made for that. It's only annoying when you have to pump them up.

It will start with an airshock...but it's got a proper DH shaped curve with lots of progression so the coil will come.

Here the LR laid out against the Range and latest Pivot Firebird. I forgot to change the name on the Firebird model.

If I was just planning to stay with the airshock for everything then I'd have used the B version.

Damn dood , you're burning some serious rubber dialing this in. Good stuff

That's a little excessive of a change from start to ending leverage. You'll get a really supple top end and rarely if ever use full travel with that.

IE: personally for me fucking awesome

Can you get rid of that hook shit at the end? That's solely the domain of air shocks. Looks neat though. I'm perked.

ShirkFS V1.0 is still in service.

Back in April I finally busted the rear end on it. It broke where is should have based on poor design on my part. After a couple months of thinking I'd scramble to build a quick n dirty hardtail to ride while i worked on v2.0 design I shelved the hardtail and just build a new rear end for V1.0, so now it's V1.1.

We brought tiny human number 2 into our lives 6 months ago so garage time has been slim, but getting closer to welding tubes for V2.0.

But geo and suspension kinematics are finally locked down. I'll start a thread for it soon once I get going on the physical building.
    Good to hear how v1.0 played out. Congrats on Little Shirk No. 2.

I forgot to change the name on the Firebird model.
    I was really hoping that was what you were calling your bike because that is pretty catchy and rolls right off the tongue.