Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerome View Post
    Yeah, it's all about cam straps and attaching everything to the frame. I had the giant double sleeping bag under the kid, and a new bikepacking 20L bag (never used for bikepacking) and a Camp superlight backpack strapped to the back. I tried better weight distribution with the heavy stuff under the kid, and sleeping bag out back, but the weight pushed on my kids legs, so I had to revert to the forward lean. I'm pretty sure the pack was around 50 lbs, and the kid is 30 lbs. so it's not lightweight at all. In fact, my 10 year old 5.10 river shoes blew out about a mile in. The old foam decided to quit under the 275lb load.

Sleeping isn't really all that great overnight, especially since we were fighting over the teddy/cat as a pillow, and the kid ended up everywhere, including the head of the sleeping bag, the bottom of the sleeping bag. But we still managed to be totally awake for the hike out and the strider ride to the lake, and lake swim.
    Sounds great, man. Way to get it done.

Next year, my oldest will be able to walkfor a mile or two. That leaves one adult to carry a regular backpacking pack and one to carry the child pack. I think we will get it done if we pack right.

Enjoy it now. My daughter is in the in between stage of too big for the kid carrier pack and too little to walk miles without a million distractions or wanting to be carried.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

It makes me feel warm and fuzzy that you packed in that teddy bear.

That's a lucky kid.

Impressive work. I have not backpacked in years but hope to with my kid sometime soon.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    It makes me feel warm and fuzzy that you packed in that teddy bear.

That's a lucky kid.
    That's his security blanket. He's such an easy kid, at least right now, but there are a few things that make everything go smoothly. And Meow is one of them.

Name:  DSC02149.jpg
Views: 1353
Size:  206.8 KB
    Took the five month out for her first backpack. Short 2.5 mile river hike in Olympic National Park. Bringing the hammock and a tarp for shade was money. She even fell asleep in the hammock by herself for a two hour nap. Just like home in the swing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02149.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	2.51 MB 
ID:	243474  

Haha, cute picture! Way to get out there!

If mom's delivering the nutrition you've got meals and drink covered for the baby. Honestly, as long as it isn't too hot or too cold a baby would be easier to carry than a 3 year old and their food and gear.. which would be inevitable on anything beyond car camping.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Love seeing all the kid stoke! And nice work getting out Gerome.

The worst part about backpacking with babies....is carrying out the dirty diapers. Bring a dry bag.

We've gone every year since they were 9 months old. Start, and don't stop. And yeah, forget the pack n play - save that for car camping. Bring some twist ties for the tent zippers while the munchkin(s) go to sleep. They're usually so blasted that they sleep great. Usually. It was definitely worse under 3 years old.

At ages 9 mos and 21 mos, we carried them in. At 33 months, they hiked. The last few years, we've hiked in about as many miles as they are years old, then set up base camp, and do day hikes. We've graduated to actual backpacking (camping only 1 night at each spot). They love it. Fack, who doesn't love backpacking! Oh yeah, the only time we ever give our kids sugary food is when backpacking, hiking, biking, or skiing -- so yeah, they reallllllly love hiking haha

From our first time out:
    Name:  Miner's Ridge w E&S.jpg
Views: 1423
Size:  136.4 KB
    Last edited by meter-man; 08-08-2018 at 01:49 PM.
    sproing!

Oh yeah, for sleeping the first couple years, we just bundled them up in tons of clothes, brought a light fleece blanket to cover them up. We didn't have sleeping bags for them, and they wouldn't have stayed in them anyway! In the Sierra, we usually bring a 4-season, 3-man tent from the 90s, and the girls sleep on foam pads with us on either side. It's tightish, but warmer that way.

Now they have their own super bulky sleeping bags.

Carrying stylo: I had one on front, all of my gear and wife's gear, and our food/cook gear. Wife carried the other kid in the Kelty, and all of their stuff. Here's my rig:
    Name:  Green Creek.jpg
Views: 1041
Size:  129.6 KB
    sproing!

Holy shit sherpa!

We bought expensive bags for the kids when we went back to backpacking. My 8 year old is rocking a Western Mountaineering bag because weight is a drag on family fun and it will last her for years.

When they are babies/tiny standard issue puffies that you probably have with you anyway work awesome and are pretty much the gold standard for baby sleeping bags.

Yeah when ours was younger we just dressed her up in her ski/snow clothes + fleece onesie for tent camping. We just bought her an REI kids bag now that she's almost three and wants to sleep in a bag like me.

Baby Thermals

Quote Originally Posted by Cravenmorhead View Post
    Yeah when ours was younger we just dressed her up in her ski/snow clothes + fleece onesie for tent camping. We just bought her an REI kids bag now that she's almost three and wants to sleep in a bag like me.
    That's awesome. Maybe a dumb question, but did you have your kid wear thermal layers under the fleece?

I've car camped with an infant. Biggest problem for me was keeping up with the changing/feeding schedule when it got cold and dark out. I don't think I'd want to backpack with an infant. My 3.5 year old is just barely getting to the point where i'd consider a short backpacking trip.

Smile I disagree that being a newborn is too young

I disagree that being a newborn is too young. My daughter was born the middle of May last year (c-section), and we did her first trip when she was 7 weeks old. We picked a campground that was in bailing distance to our house (about an hour) so that if at 2 am the first night we were done with it, we could get up and leave and come back for our stuff the next day if need be.

All and all, she did great! We stayed the whole weekend( though we did hurry back to town Sunday cause we were down to one diaper). The two pieces of equipment I would suggest are a Pea Pod tent (or something similar) for them to sleep in and a bug shirt to go over your babe for when you're carrying them.

Bottom line: if you're willing/comfortable going camping with a newborn, give it a go, but be ready to pack it in if things don't go well and willing to try it again. Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by m8c1dc View Post
    I disagree that being a newborn is too young. My daughter was born the middle of May last year (c-section), and we did her first trip when she was 7 weeks old. We picked a campground that was in bailing distance to our house (about an hour) so that if at 2 am the first night we were done with it, we could get up and leave and come back for our stuff the next day if need be.

All and all, she did great! We stayed the whole weekend( though we did hurry back to town Sunday cause we were down to one diaper). The two pieces of equipment I would suggest are a Pea Pod tent (or something similar) for them to sleep in and a bug shirt to go over your babe for when you're carrying them.

Bottom line: if you're willing/comfortable going camping with a newborn, give it a go, but be ready to pack it in if things don't go well and willing to try it again. Have fun!
    You talking backpacking or car camping?

We went backpacking again last weekend using the Kelty Kids backpack. Attaching the camping gear this time went so much better after realizing that I had the kid backpack set up incorrectly. We went on a family trip to Bend last month and on a 7 mile day hike, I figured out several straps and adjustments that needed to be made that completely corrected my posture with the backpack on. Last weekend, I was no longer leaning forward while carrying the kid and kit. Plus my wife actually made the trip this time too. I really have to make an active effort to get backpacking at least once a month for the rest of summer and fall because it is a blast to camp with the kid. Even if we only have a two person tent.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9904.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	459.5 KB 
ID:	291178

Name:	IMG_9922.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	291179

Name:	IMG_9929.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	291180

Name:	IMG_9924.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	291181

oh boy, sideways photos. Oh well.....

Nice job. Enjoy it. Toughest thing for me was when my daughter got too big for the carrier and is still too little to hike miles.

At 4 now we can only do 1-2 mile hikes before she hits a wall.

Awesome shots! Little ones don't stay babies for long. We nicknamed my stepson Sherpa Hollywood this year.

When my wife and I had a baby, we decided to continue traveling. It was harder, but possible. We didn’t want to give up the usual way of life.
    We think that even if our child never remembers the trip, it’ll see photos and hear stories someday.
    If you dare to do this, prepare well for the journey. Don’t forget diapers. Buy a comfortable backpack, take enough food. Don’t forget about children clothes, you’ll have to change it often. Think about what your baby needs for sleep.
    And most importantly, be positive, in any case , this trip will be unforgettable

Wow ^

Dumbest post ever. Dummy.

Can I add; “when it gets hungry, don’t forget to feed it”

Definitely Possible

Hiking with a baby is definitely possible. You will make more memories this way. But of course, it will be a little harder with a baby and a huge backpack. Make sure you have the comfiest backpack with excellent weight distribution. Also, you need to carry some extra stuff for your baby as well.