Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Ville View Post
    I've had them now for two seasons, maybe around 130 days. So far no problems. Couple of resort days, mostly touring. Seems to be holding well. Unfortunately I ski a lot of all kind of windf*cked snow and ice in different forms. So in my eyes they have passed on reliability test.

Lähetetty minun FIG-LX1 laitteesta Tapatalkilla
    Nice. 130 days skiing crappy f*cked snow passes the test IMO. Thanks

I run a similar setup (ATK freeraiders on Vwerks Katanas) and am thoroughly impressed with both. The ATK blows every dynafit out of the water. Note however, that it is still a traditional pin binding, so very harsh. for such a ski a tecton may be worth the weight penalty if you are skiing a lot of crappy snow.

Quote Originally Posted by smooth operator View Post
    I run a similar setup (ATK freeraiders on Vwerks Katanas) and am thoroughly impressed with both. The ATK blows every dynafit out of the water. Note however, that it is still a traditional pin binding, so very harsh. for such a ski a tecton may be worth the weight penalty if you are skiing a lot of crappy snow.
    Been thinking of getting tectons for more comfort. Probably finish this season with these and maybe get tectons for next one.

Lähetetty minun FIG-LX1 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

Revised.

178 (!!??) Blizzard ZeroG 95 with Vipecs
    184 4FRNT Raven with Tectons
    187 Praxis Protest with Kingpins

Not sure I'll keep the Ravens. We'll see.

I would also love to try one of the ultralight boots (like Scarpa F1 or Alien RS). Someday...maybe.

For next season, I'm going to pull the KPs from the Protest and swap in some Alpinists. I'd prefer a non-Marker but the skis are already pretty damn Swiss cheesed.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by meter-man; 04-17-2019 at 05:01 PM.
    sproing!

FS: 187 Praxis GPO with STH14 binders https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...TH-14-bindings

FS: crampons, lightweight winter down sleeping bag, and stuff https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ost?highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Revised.

178 (!!??) Blizzard ZeroG 95
    184 4FRNT Raven
    187 Praxis Protest

I would also love to try one of the ultralight boots (like Scarpa F1 or Alien RS). Someday...maybe.

For next season, I'm going to pull the KPs from the Protest and swap in some Alpinists. I'd prefer a non-Marker but the skis are already pretty damn Swiss cheesed.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    How's that Protest/Kingpin combo treat you? I picked up some 187 Protests and KP's with thoughts of using them for Japan next season but am debating if that's too heavy to be enjoyable. Have yet to mount.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    How's that Protest/Kingpin combo treat you? I picked up some 187 Protests and KP's with thoughts of using them for Japan next season but am debating if that's too heavy to be enjoyable. Have yet to mount.
    For powder like Japan there’s zero reason to run kingpins. I’ve found alpinist almost indistinguishable. And they are cheap on amazon.

I took Protests w/ Shifts to Japan as a one ski quiver and it was fine. If (when?) I go back I’ll take two skis, Protests w/ Cast and something 100-110 under foot with Kingpins. Protests are overkill for long tours, but with all the 15-30 min skins, it’s nice to have the option to skin with any ski you take.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    I only have one day on my Ravens so don't have a great overall impression yet (felt like I was still getting used to them). What's your take at this point?

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    For powder like Japan there’s zero reason to run kingpins. I’ve found alpinist almost indistinguishable. And they are cheap on amazon.
    I love my Protests. I've now had them with STH and Kingpins. They are a great resort pow ski, but a superlative touring ski. This version is the MAP core with carbon (2065 grams/ski). They handle fresh, crusts, funk, and schmoo amazingly well. The KPs provide a powerful platform for driving these things. Definitely not too heavy, unless you really are a weight weenie. Then again, if you're putting them on Protests, that aint you! I've never really noticed the weight, and have done a fair amount of vert on them, including one stretch last winter touring 7 straight days between 4-7k, without too much pain. Despite their bad rep, I really trust the KPs. I'm always locked in, never had an insta-tele moment (unlike my Vipec blacks ), never had a pre-release, and always had perfect results with them. I have never locked my toe on them either.

That said, based on CaliBrit's recco in the 300g binder thread, and the same toe holes, I'm going to pop in the Alpinists and try those out for a 500g per foot weight savings. I'm mostly touring for fresh in the Protests, so don't think I'll miss the powerful heel too much. I hope... I'll mount em up for next winter, and if good, sell the KPs.

If I were starting over, and wanted a powerful touring binding (not a sidecountry binding like Shift or CAST), I think the Tecton skis a touch better - the same positive heel but with the much improved and unbelievably smooth (by comparison) Tecton/Vipec toe piece. I don't have enough days on mine to evaluate their durability/reliability yet.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I only have one day on my Ravens so don't have a great overall impression yet (felt like I was still getting used to them). What's your take at this point?
    I don't know yet. They make every snow condition easy, but they are also kinda boring. Perhaps it's the reverse camber? Maybe I'd like them better a bit fatter (110ish) or a bit longer (190 instead of 184). I dunno. I'm going to keep skiing them but so far, so boring. I have not found a single day of touring these where I would not prefer to be on my Protests. We'll see...
    sproing!

FS: 187 Praxis GPO with STH14 binders https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...TH-14-bindings

FS: crampons, lightweight winter down sleeping bag, and stuff https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ost?highlight=