Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    , it's not that hard, yer in the BC where it's usually soft and easy.
    I am always looking for the good snow, but in real life I ski a lot of crap to find it. The conditions of the day are often referred to as "Challenging but Fun". To me, the ski being able to handle a wide range of conditions is much more important than having a lot of skis to choose from.

My quiver consists of three skis: Rock skis, Fat skis, and something for the spring. Den

Show us yer Touring Quivers!

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    2.5 is good for me for a touring quiver. Two with a version of pin bindings and one with P18s with CAST plates. I’ve been just fine with one dedicated touring ski and one with CAST.

One narrow ~95-100mm for long days going high up and trying to keep up with speedy people - 185 0G 95 for now

One dedicated pow touring ski for just skiing powder - 193 Blizzard Scout currently but always keeping an eye open for something new

I like the 2.5 route too-

1) 176 BMT 94 with speeds

2) 186 BMT 109 with Alpiniste 12’s

.5) 184 Vwerks Katana’s with shifts

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by rob stokes; 11-12-2018 at 02:37 PM.

2.5 is good

BMT 94 176 / Ion 12
    BMT 109 176 / ATK Raider 12
    Next season : Katana 184 / Shift

Kinda regret the Ion 12 on the BMT 94 though, should have taken something lighter ...

168 BD Helios 88 - snapped these up barely used for $100 a while back, building up a binding system for them currently for big multi-day trips.

180 Praxis Backcountry - go to 95% of the time touring ski

188 Praxis Protest - can't bring myself to retire these fully even though they're beat to shit at this point, still bring them out to play from time to time.

Praxis are both mounted with B&D telemark shift plates and I swap 22 Designs Outlaw X's between them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9015.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	982.9 KB 
ID:	252135

Quote Originally Posted by viglio View Post
    168 BD Helios 88 - snapped these up barely used for $100 a while back, building up a binding system for them currently for big multi-day trips.

180 Praxis Backcountry - go to 95% of the time touring ski

188 Praxis Protest - can't bring myself to retire these fully even though they're beat to shit at this point, still bring them out to play from time to time.

Praxis are both mounted with B&D telemark shift plates and I swap 22 Designs Outlaw X's between them.

Name:	IMG_9015.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	982.9 KB 
ID:	252135
    What do you think about touring on the Protests? Over kill or worth carrying the extra weight? I just ordered a pair and I’m considering putting a dedicated touring binding on them.

Im putting touring bindings on my Protests, although I havent figured out how light I wanna go yet. In pow I dont need as much retention, but cant figure out where to draw the line. My 192 Veneer enduro #3, feel lighter than 188 Bubbas and 185 Bent Chetlers. Lighter but snappier!

I havent skied them yet, but have high hopes

How is the atk Vs the Ion? Especially re ramp angle etc, if you care about that

What do you think about touring on the Protests? Over kill or worth carrying the extra weight? I just ordered a pair and I’m considering putting a dedicated touring binding on them.
    I've never had issues with them on longer days, but they are on the heavier side for a touring ski. I'm typically the strongest one in our group though, so the extra weight is negligible, and the extra fun is so worth it. That said, I typically won't do more than ~4k vert on them in a day.

Quote Originally Posted by sf View Post
    How is the atk Vs the Ion? Especially re ramp angle etc, if you care about that
    I haven't really found a difference regarding skiability. The ramps are similar. But I'm light maybe someone heavier would have a different experience.
    The brakes at the toe are a bit annoying to use at the resort on the Raider (if you have a lot of gondolas where you ski).
    The risers are easy to use on both. On the ATK you can go from ski mode to tour without rotating the heel, it's pretty cool, but you still have to remove your skis.

I tour pow on 187 Protests (13/14 carbons) with Kingpins, but have other skis for spring and harder snow. I used to have the KPs on Bibby Tours, and the Protests just are soooooo much more fun in soft snow and an overall better touring ski for my purposes. They do great in mank and crust. They make any kind of soft snow super easy. Low-angle meadow-skipping? These are the best. Pillow-popping and billy-goating? Oh yeah. Steep pow? Duh. Icy couloirs or super firm tech ? No - wrong tool for the job, but you can survive. For me, they are 1000% worth any extra weight. Check out the Protest thread.

You can do big days (many laps) on them, no problem. Their tip is narrow (relatively), so as long as you have full edge-to-edge skins, they skin just fine. I skied them 9 days in a row in Canada, 2 at Kicking Horse with a mix of conditions, and then 7 touring out of a hut, doing 4-7k/day. No problem.

From the little I know of Jackson (you're there, right?), they don't seem like an ideal JHMR sidecountry ski though. I would want something a bit more versatile, and a bit less soft-snow oriented, like the Bibby Tour. I LOVED the Bibby Tour for their versatility, but in the end decided to go with a dedicated pow-tourer (Protest) as well as another much lighter option for spring.
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    I have a question that doesn’t deserve its own thread... so here it goes:

I have an old Carbon Lhasa 191 112mm waist with dynafits that I use as my 1 ski touring quiver.

I’d like to add a skinnier ski, the Lhasa is overkill for a lot of my touring days.

Would you go with an 85, 95, or 108 class touring ski in that slot?

Assuming that the Lhasa’s will die in a season or two, I’ll replace them with a 116 class touring ski. So the skinnier ski will need to complement that...

Wwwwwwwwwwwwwww. . Kszx otb
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

I think something around the 95 mark seems a perfect fit. A 108(ish) ski is pretty close to your 112 in terms of width.. something narrower will compliment that a bit better i think, while the right 95 mm waist ski will still be handle some soft snow..

Quote Originally Posted by TheFugitive View Post
    Wwwwwwwwwwwwwww. . Kszx otb

Me:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181101_205349.jpeg 
Views:	212 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	253657

Sent from my Pixel using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by viglio View Post
    I've never had issues with them on longer days, but they are on the heavier side for a touring ski. I'm typically the strongest one in our group though, so the extra weight is negligible, and the extra fun is so worth it. That said, I typically won't do more than ~4k vert on them in a day.
    X2 on this. Wouldn’t make it my only touring ski obviously, but for pow laps in the trees or non-long days they’re totally worth it for how fun they make both lower-angle pow and weird snow. I end up in quite a few slower, chiller groups, and the Protests make those days infinitely more fun. For anyone in the PNW, it’s my “Yodelin ski.”

Name:	IMG_0091.JPG 
Views:	240 
Size:	410.3 KB 
ID:	253912

Black Crows Nocta 185 w/shifts
    Black Crows Atris 189 w/shifts
    Amplid Facelift 184 w/kingpins
    Praxis Yeti 182 w/G3 ion LT

Last edited by Skiwald; 11-06-2018 at 10:01 AM.

Touring tools for this season. Getting Shifts for the 114's. Might add something lighter before spring time and long days. Boots are 120XTD's.

Name:	IMG_20181109_073309.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	322.2 KB 
ID:	254695

Quote Originally Posted by JanIdar View Post
    Touring tools for this season. Getting Shifts for the 114's. Might add something lighter before spring time and long days. Boots are 120XTD's.

Name:	IMG_20181109_073309.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	322.2 KB 
ID:	254695
    Nice!

I see we need to make some down-branded ski straps. Point 65234887655 on the list.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TGR Forums mobile app
    simen@downskis.com DOWN SKIS

Quote Originally Posted by SiSt View Post
    Nice!

I see we need to make some down-branded ski straps. Point 65234887655 on the list.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TGR Forums mobile app
    Voile straps with Down logo maybe available at 2028 presale?

Finally found some 190s. Third mount so guess they're mine forever now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0321.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	682.8 KB 
ID:	254978  

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    Finally found some 190s. Third mount so guess they're mine forever now.
    Those ravens look real nice with the shifts

I like your workbench. Wish i could be as organised.

You got the 190s! Nice!!
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by smooth operator View Post
    I like your workbench. Wish i could be as organised.
    I'm not a naturally organized person. What clicked for me was everything having its own place. I've tried applying this strategy to other parts of my life with middling success. It worked in the kitchen but not my closet for example. Also peg board changed my life.

@meter -- I did!!!