Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    I've skied em on plenty of steeper stuff, certainly up to 45º, and put about 150k' human powered vert on em last year. They held up great. There's a little piece of accessory cord to make the ski/walk lever easier to move, that tore off and I was too lazy to replace it. Otherwise zero complaints. I have heard that the liners wear out quicker, haven't noticed it myself but you're a bigger guy, so you may want to think about having a backup liner or swapping for an intuition. You'll definitely have worse conditions than me in NH, but I got into some pretty variable stuff.
    Brilliant. Thanks. I'm not concerned about liner durability within reason. You may have just sold a pair of Fischers. The rep owes you a beer!

Quote Originally Posted by hafjell View Post
    Brilliant. Thanks. I'm not concerned about liner durability within reason. You may have just sold a pair of Fischers. The rep owes you a beer!
    Enjoy em! If the fit is right, I think you'll love everything else.

Well, the one on the left has a higher release value, and is better for descending, no doubt due to the extra mass.
    The one on the right is more of a light and fast setup, better for longer days with more vertical. Less damp feeling though. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3668.JPG 
Views:	135 
Size:	249.1 KB 
ID:	249482
    Here’s a picture of the rando light one ready to rock. 2.5 pounds!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3669.JPG 
Views:	127 
Size:	249.8 KB 
ID:	249483
    Gravity always wins...

Quote Originally Posted by riff View Post
    Well, the one on the left has a higher release value, and is better for descending, no doubt due to the extra mass.
    The one on the right is more of a light and fast setup, better for longer days with more vertical. Less damp feeling though. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3668.JPG 
Views:	135 
Size:	249.1 KB 
ID:	249482
    Here’s a picture of the rando light one ready to rock. 2.5 pounds!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3669.JPG 
Views:	127 
Size:	249.8 KB 
ID:	249483
    The first true quiver pic of the thread
    If you cut that bow in the half, you can get two skinny Rax skis.

On the serious side, you really need to lower that brace height some. That recurve have way to much pre-load to shoot at it´s optimum.

Quote Originally Posted by MnO_____ View Post
    The first true quiver pic of the thread
    If you cut that bow in the half, you can get two skinny Rax skis.

On the serious side, you really need to lower that brace height some. That recurve have way to much pre-load to shoot at it´s optimum.
    Hot tip:

Do not get MnO to start talking about archery...

Sent from my SM-G950F using TGR Forums mobile app
    simen@downskis.com DOWN SKIS

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    2018 late season update; added some 180 and 184cm Salomon Rocker 2 122s to the quiver of skis.
    Love my Rocker2 122, but they started delamming last week of last season...

Thanks Mno! I’ll look into it....
    Also, this:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3667.JPG 
Views:	123 
Size:	231.6 KB 
ID:	249495
    Voile Vector, Lithic Joplin, 181 Lithic Ramblin Jack, 187 Ul GPO. Jack and GPO are getting Tectons on the next rainy day. Winter is coming....

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

Quote Originally Posted by hafjell View Post
    I have also absolutely loved my Fischer Travers carbon. I haven't put a ton of mileage on them, but the trips I have done have usually been either quick post season resort laps, or full on 14+ mile days with 50/50 bushwalking and skinning. They kill it, and I have no problems driving my Movement Alp tracks with them. Not what I would call a sendy setup, but I don't need to backflip in the backcountry.

Quote Originally Posted by bw_wp_hedonism View Post
    Love my Rocker2 122, but they started delamming last week of last season...
    sorry to hear about the delam...is the topsheet or different layer? my junkers have bad topsheet delams at both tails but purely cosmetic. just cut off the flappers.

What length of skis do u have and what did u use for mount point (cms from tail)?
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by Climber Joe View Post
    I have also absolutely loved my Fischer Travers carbon. I haven't put a ton of mileage on them, but the trips I have done have usually been either quick post season resort laps, or full on 14+ mile days with 50/50 bushwalking and skinning. They kill it, and I have no problems driving my Movement Alp tracks with them. Not what I would call a sendy setup, but I don't need to backflip in the backcountry.
    Thanks for perspective. What other boots are you skiing? This would be my only boot for the season--keeping my telemark setup for the time being, but think I'm moving quickly to 100% AT.

Attachment 249683

192 Standard ProTest for soft
    190 Bibby Tour for variable

Both will be mounted with shifts and driven by Salomon MTN Labs. No resort time most likely, unless I travel with them.

Will try to find a cheap pair of lightweight bindings and mount up my dads 178 Dstar Cham 87s when he finds a new daily driver. They are pretty light but stable enough. I dont really like how they ski so much, buts its not bad in any sense, and they “work” in pretty much any condition.

^^nice

and touring skis + pure tech bindings are also a good idea

thank you for supporting the northern nevada touring ski industry... among the finest in the nation imho

I have a question that doesn’t deserve its own thread... so here it goes:

I have an old Carbon Lhasa 191 112mm waist with dynafits that I use as my 1 ski touring quiver.

I’d like to add a skinnier ski, the Lhasa is overkill for a lot of my touring days.

Would you go with an 85, 95, or 108 class touring ski in that slot?

Assuming that the Lhasa’s will die in a season or two, I’ll replace them with a 116 class touring ski. So the skinnier ski will need to complement that...

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

where are you again? I would rather go 95-100mm. Get them long enough and you will also have some good turns at higher speed if it gets a bit deeper but not 112mm worthy.

Even for rather alpinism focused objectives I never felt 90mm would be to wide and I think I would say the same with a 95 ski -> no need to go 85mm.

108 so seems quite close to what you have.

Where do you ski and what sort of lines do you ski?

Given you're doing everything with Lhasas I would guess you're not trying to do 7K foot days on spring volcanos?

In which case, I think a 95mm ski is a pretty nice compliment to the Lhasa.

But maybe that is because that is the basis of my current touring quiver: Praxis Yet (94mm) paired with a 186 Lhasa. (Plus the 106 freeride rock ski, and an in-shipping Down Countdown 104L).

95 to complement 115. Narrow enough to edge well both skinning and skiing firm, wide enough to float a little in mature corn or spring squall styro-pow.

108 if it were the one-trick. I've made a season cycle with a 109 BMT... and it's a pretty high-performing "just adequate". Loses points for being barely uncomfortably wide on firm, and for being not quite as fun as fatties in fresh. So I think I'm splitting back to two sets soon.

Last winter I tried having two skis, 98 (187 Blizzard Kabookie) and 119 (193 Volkl Shiro). Neither are touring skis, both are slightly lighter inbounds skis, and I ended up not touring much because I was dragging around heavy skis.

This winter I’m going to try the 185 Zero G 95 and I’m keeping an eye out for a lighter 190cm touring pow ski. I’ve got a pair of 193 Blizzard Scouts that we’re my one ski quiver for touring, but I’d prefer something a bit lighter and wider.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

^^192 0G 108?

Frankly, the 185 0G 95 seems like a huge step from the Kabookie and Shiro. I might recommend you try to find something slightly heavier with slightly more rocker, if you haven't already purchased the zeroG 95 ... unless you're pretty sure you'll be stoked on a ski that light and stiff with minimal tip rocker. You complained about ON3Ps being "pingy" in a different thread, this will take that to a totally different level. Nothing does pingy like very stiff, very light, carbon skis.

Bindings are a great way to save weight, so I'd recommend something under 200g per ski (SSL 2.0, BD Helio 145, etc). What boots?
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    Last winter I tried having two skis, 98 (187 Blizzard Kabookie) and 119 (193 Volkl Shiro). Neither are touring skis, both are slightly lighter inbounds skis, and I ended up not touring much because I was dragging around heavy skis.

This winter I’m going to try the 185 Zero G 95 and I’m keeping an eye out for a lighter 190cm touring pow ski. I’ve got a pair of 193 Blizzard Scouts that we’re my one ski quiver for touring, but I’d prefer something a bit lighter and wider.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
    Given your ski preferences I think you'd jive with a Vwerks Katana. I am loving them for almost everything. I have a zeroG 95 for the true long days, but If I were fitter I could do with just the katanas.
    The crux is finding them for a reasonable price.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Where do you ski and what sort of lines do you ski?

Given you're doing everything with Lhasas I would guess you're not trying to do 7K foot days on spring volcanos?

In which case, I think a 95mm ski is a pretty nice compliment to the Lhasa.

But maybe that is because that is the basis of my current touring quiver: Praxis Yet (94mm) paired with a 186 Lhasa. (Plus the 106 freeride rock ski, and an in-shipping Down Countdown 104L).
    Quote Originally Posted by LeoK View Post
    where are you again? I would rather go 95-100mm. Get them long enough and you will also have some good turns at higher speed if it gets a bit deeper but not 112mm worthy.

Even for rather alpinism focused objectives I never felt 90mm would be to wide and I think I would say the same with a 95 ski -> no need to go 85mm.

108 so seems quite close to what you have.
    I ski in the PNW. Biggest days last season were Rainier 5k days. I’d like to hit more volcanoes this year, hence the question. Thinking 0G 95 or similar....

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

what doebedoe and norseman said, I think ~95 is your zone. 0G95 seems like a great option

Skibrd, check out the Sally Mtn Explore 95 too. 200g more than ZeroG, but skis much less carbony/lightweight.

95/115 is a nice combo. Or 95 (hard), 105 (mixed), 128 (POWtown) if you wanna go full gear slut.
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    I ski in the PNW. Biggest days last season were Rainier 5k days. I’d like to hit more volcanoes this year, hence the question. Thinking 0G 95 or similar....

I skied 0G 95 for one day last winter. It was actually quite good on hard variable snow. But it does need to be driven on the edge. Either carving turns or quick hard pushed short turns. No sliding around. This has been the thing with some other ul-skis too. You will need all that saved energy from up, to really drive skis on the way down

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using TGR Forums mobile app

I’ve a pair of TLT speeds and Radicals, so the weight is saved there. I was amazed at how much lighter they are then Kingpin 13s. I’m excited to tour on the lighter bindings, but tentative about skiing on them.

Boots will be Lange XT Freetours with Intuition proTour liners. I tried TLT6Ps and Atomic Backlands Carbons and my skiing style, even adjusted for the backcountry, doesn’t really mesh with ultra light boots. I’m fine taking a weight penalty for better skiing boots.

I skied the 0G 108 (paired with Kingpin 13s and TLT6PS) a few years back and didn’t quite mesh with it. I don’t think I detuned the edges enough. The tips would get really locked and not release. They were supposed to be an upgrade from the 193 Blizzard Scouts, but the Scouts out preformed the 0G 108s everywhere.

I didn’t think about the carbon pingy factor of the 0G 95s, thanks for bringing that up Auvgeek! I already own the 0G 95s, so I’ll probably take them out a few times to see if I like them. Do you guys think those QST 99s would be a better option? It’s a bigger ski, longer and wider, with more rocker, but 500g heavier.

I’ve been keeping my eye out for a pair of VWerk Katanas for a while now, but as you said Smooth Operator, I can never seem to find a pair at the right price. I lost a few pair on eBay that skyrocketed in the last 5 min. If I make a trip to SLC I’ll check out the used gear stores, we don’t have the biggest selection of used skis in Jackson.

If you're considering the 99mm QST, also look at the V-Werks Mantra.

Bumping up against the firm snow comfort threshold, imho.