Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    I should have included those in the pic

Keeps the flex more linear. Doesn’t collapse nearly as ez
    My issue with the TLT6P, and similar boots, is the bottom shoe part, below the cuff, collapses when I flex forward into the tongue. For the green version, it is the light green part that isn't stiff enough to support me at 6-4 200lbs, around the hinges loses all strength when I flex forward. I wonder if the double tongue would help or not. I might have to check that out. Even with doubling the tongues, they still are probably way lighter then the Lange XT Freetours I prefer over the TLT6P currently.

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    My issue with the TLT6P, and similar boots, is the bottom shoe part, below the cuff, collapses when I flex forward into the tongue. For the green version, it is the light green part that isn't stiff enough to support me at 6-4 200lbs, around the hinges loses all strength when I flex forward. I wonder if the double tongue would help or not. I might have to check that out. Even with doubling the tongues, they still are probably way lighter then the Lange XT Freetours I prefer over the TLT6P currently.
    At 5”7’ 160lbs that still happens but these tongues definitely help. After I did this I see that people are shaping Vulcan tongues for the tlt6’s easily so that’s an option as well. I’m happy with these so I’ll just stay with them. I take them out for initial or longer climbs. The boot without tongues is a touch lighter than stock without tongues. I was surprised that the intuition liner was 1/4 lb lighter so it more than offsets the additional weight of the booster strap. I’m tempted to try a plug wrap intuition liner just to see how much skiing performance I can dig out of them . Current mods have been great

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    At 5”7’ 160lbs that still happens but these tongues definitely help. After I did this I see that people are shaping Vulcan tongues for the tlt6’s easily so that’s an option as well. I’m happy with these so I’ll just stay with them. I take them out for initial or longer climbs. The boot without tongues is a touch lighter than stock without tongues. I was surprised that the intuition liner was 1/4 lb lighter so it more than offsets the additional weight of the booster strap. I’m tempted to try a plug wrap intuition liner just to see how much skiing performance I can dig out of them . Current mods have been great
    Yeah, you are about the same size as my friends who can ski the TLT6Ps with similar mods. I got Intuition ProTours in them and that helped some. I sort of want to try booster straps and the heavier tongues, I just am not convinced that the real issue is I'm 9 inches taller and have 40lbs on everyone whose made similar mods. Big guys, big gear.

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    Yeah, you are about the same size as my friends who can ski the TLT6Ps with similar mods. I got Intuition ProTours in them and that helped some. I sort of want to try booster straps and the heavier tongues, I just am not convinced that the real issue is I'm 9 inches taller and have 40lbs on everyone whose made similar mods. Big guys, big gear.
    Ya hard for me to tell . Lot of extra leverage there. The booster strap mainly just makes it a smoother predictable flex and is just super comfy. If you don’t care if you put holes in your tongues, and you have the greens and blacks, maybe try the double tongues first. Took me half hour and a couple $’s in t nuts
    I had pro toungues but the mv was a little too much volume so I have some dreamliners that I’m waiting to mold up. Protongues helped the skiing a bit. Tongues are much more noticeable

Scored some killer deals over the weekend and the quiver expanded a bit.

170 Volkl rock skis
    177 G3 Findr 86
    178 Enforcers
    173 Dynafit Stoke (going to try BF inserts + vipecs into them)
    175 Black Diamond Amperage

BD Prime with Scarpa Intuition lines and Scarpa Powerstrap
    Dyanfit Titans TF-X
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5075.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	215967
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalNomad View Post

173 Dynafit Stoke (going to try BF inserts + vipecs into them)
    BD Prime with Scarpa Intuition lines and Scarpa Powerstrap
    Dyanfit Titans TF-X
    Are you going to put inserts into the metal insert plate? Woah.

Also are those full size wiregate carabiners on the slants? Serving as leashes?

Quote Originally Posted by sruffian View Post
    Are you going to put inserts into the metal insert plate? Woah.

Also are those full size wiregate carabiners on the slants? Serving as leashes?
    Well they are camp nano's...which are smaller. I have yet to buy proper ski leashes so I made due with what I have ...and they match...

And yeah inserts under the metal. Since I don't want to buy a set of dynafit's and I swap my pair of vipecs I need to do inserts. Outside of those resin dynafit "inserts" that lighter core material is a high density foam as far as I can tell/ researched . Also the mount pattern for the Vipecs isn't going to completely fit inside the "borders" of the resin, but will fit inside of that metal plate.

Between that and mounting the FINDrs (which also has titanal binding plates) my insert bit is going to need a sharpening. Left me wondering if 4.1mm bits have a different point angle to help them through the metal.

Start with a pic of quiver of touring boots...

Name:	progression 010.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	215974
    Master of mediocrity.

lolololol the photochoped in Vulcan.

This you and your girlfriend?

lolololol the photochoped in Vulcan.

This you and your girlfriend?
    She got kicked out of bed after I married my Vulcans. lol.
    Master of mediocrity.

Well they are camp nano's...which are smaller. I have yet to buy proper ski leashes so I made due with what I have ...and they match...

And yeah inserts under the metal. Since I don't want to buy a set of dynafit's and I swap my pair of vipecs I need to do inserts. Outside of those resin dynafit "inserts" that lighter core material is a high density foam as far as I can tell/ researched . Also the mount pattern for the Vipecs isn't going to completely fit inside the "borders" of the resin, but will fit inside of that metal plate.

Between that and mounting the FINDrs (which also has titanal binding plates) my insert bit is going to need a sharpening. Left me wondering if 4.1mm bits have a different point angle to help them through the metal.
    Ahh! Duh. Missed that you were doing vipecs, so that all makes sense. I have wintersteiger 4.1 and 3.6's, they look identical.

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    Start with a pic of quiver of touring boots...

Name:	progression 010.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	215974
    What flex rating is the cat?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Those old garmont megarides were pretty soft but IMO skied ok and were damn comfy.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    What flex rating is the cat?
    bwahahahahha

COTD

Show us yer Touring Quivers!

Mbillie why you "walking the mall" these days? Is that old guy code for the skintrack?? ETA: also, how do you like those Lowdown 102s? I have the 186 LD 102s, but I never thought they were all that fun to ski - competent, yes, in all situations. I'm going to give the Raven a whirl and sell the LDs if I like em better...

Anyhoo, got an updated touring quiver...

Name:	IMG_3062.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	1.63 MB 
ID:	230448
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3065.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	1.62 MB 
ID:	230462  
    Last edited by meter-man; 03-30-2018 at 03:57 PM.
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    eh just felt like changing it cuz the old one was kinda close to my irl name lol. I loooooove the 102s, although my version is different from the LD102, it's the Countdown 102L and it has a shitload more rocker / a little lighter. I agree they aren't super fun, but in any kind of shitfuck snow / scary terrain, they are awesome to be on, because they ski 45º on graupel-covered wind-funk exactly the same as they ski 25º pow... no surprises ever, just swing em around and they obey.

I ski the movements more and more, but I'll never get rid of the 102Ls, and every time I have them in sketchy conditions/terrain I am super glad I still own them
    Makes sense. I wanted something a bit more playful and turny in that size. The LDs have a 41m (!!!) turning radius, and lots of camber, which makes for an interesting combo. Ravens have a 29m radius and fully rockered. I think I would have liked a 178 LD 90 better than the 186 / 102. Anyhoo... I will post up a comparo once I get enough days on my Ravens.
    sproing!

Forgot to take boots pics

Looks like a his and her quiver
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Looks like a his and her quiver
    Looks like a Canadian w/every binding *except* Ions. Cold...

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Mbillie why you "walking the mall" these days? Is that old guy code for the skintrack?? ETA: also, how do you like those Lowdown 102s? I have the 186 LD 102s, but I never thought they were all that fun to ski - competent, yes, in all situations. I'm going to give the Raven a whirl and sell the LDs if I like em better...

Anyhoo, got an updated touring quiver...

Name:	IMG_3062.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	1.63 MB 
ID:	230448
    The Ravens look great!

Quote Originally Posted by JPaul View Post
    Looks like a Canadian w/every binding *except* Ions. Cold...
    well yeah so bro is a beta tester eh?

on second thot

all of us are !
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Name:	P1090302.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	279.4 KB 
ID:	230895

Volkl Kuro 185ish. Skiin' em mounted minus 1.
    New to me. Still haven't found the exact sweet spot in varied snow conditions. Get thrown backseat in stiffer punchy windslab, don't feel 'just right' in any type of normal pow variations and skiing terrain. Feel awesome in lower angle pivoty tight trees in deeper moist snow. Feel awesome in pivoty turns in lumpy, featured punchy spring slop and corn. Slay soft smooth groomers.

K2 o.g. Darksides 174's. Mounted on the line.
    When I got em as a hand me down from a buddy, I thought they were absolutely horrible. Threw me in back seat, tips dove in bottomless and upside down snow, tips hooked badly in punchy crusts and wet slop and couldn't find a sweet spot at all. Carefully analysed them; liked the nice round flex, the long turn radius and figured I could make these work with a bit of customization. So, spooned the tip/shovel base edges, bent a lot more rocker into the tips, pulled back the rocker contact point towards toe piece by about 3 inches and built some tail extenders for specific deep bottomless snow for uphilling tail support and downhilling mo betta tip to tail skiing balance. They are now, by far, the best skiing, most versatile, reliable, forgiving, predictable adaptable to turn shape ski that i've ever had the pleasure of riding on. Amazing how well they do on hardpack and hard featured crappy snow as well. Definitely a finesse ski which suits my style perfectly...I feel like i'm massaging the snow and terrain with these babies every time i ski 'em. Skied on them for about 80 percent of my backcountry and heli days and have never had a day where I didn't have at least one moment of having tears in my eyes due to the pleasure of perfect synergy between skier, boots and skis.

Volkl 2 185's. Mounted plus 1.
    My new 'project ski'. Like the round flex pattern and damp feel but stock rocker/flat/rocker profile gave limited love only in certain snow conditions and terrain presentations. Felt like i was getting pressured into the back seat a lot of the time and the tips/shovels just overturned. So, flattened the long forebody rocker, bent more splay into tips and flattened the tails dramatically aft of the heel pieces so that they actually have a bit of camber now. Felt much more ski satisfaction but still need more camber extension closer to tails, some aluminum stiffening topsheet addition for a bit more rear support and rebound and i'm gonna flatten the forebody a bit more and try to create a more forward camber/rocker contact point. I think the medium stiffness flex is a good starting point for creating a sweet versatile ski that should be great at arcing solid turns in the alpine without giving up the pivoty slarving that they exhibit now...really fun on steeps.

Armada JJ 2.0 185's. Mounted on the line.
    Super fun all mountain hill and firmer snow/punchy snow/breakable crust/spring mission touring ski; especially if the day involved tight old growth trees where you gotta be able to turn on a dime to survive. Feel great in deep pow but only with tip extenders attached to prevent tip dive in bottomless and upside down punchy snow. Slay soft groomers with lots of pop. Love em for the specific conditions I dust em off for.

Armada Declivity 184's. Mounted on the forward of the two recommended lines.
    Spring, 2D snow/ couloir/summer skiing mission ski. Horrible in catchy crust spring snow though...tips hook unpredictably even after mucho base work and base edge beveling then lots of full length edge detuning. They ski pow up to kneecap deep right side up pow really well but sensations are more sexy with the fatties so they don't get used much in mid winter. Ski a lot of rocks with 'em, edge completely blown out and smashed back flat with a rock, j.b. welded back into place. Flattened with a cross hatch bastard file...still lumpy bumpy but can't feel the difference between skis so good enough. Really like the flex pattern for specific steep terrain and snow conditions. Softer at tips and tails for great underfoot support without getting bucked fore and aft in runnelled, lumpy, bumpy 50+ degrees spring 2D snow couloirs....definitely fully in their intended wheelhouse. Ski groomers okay but actually had better carving and sensations from my Volkl 2's, Volkl Kuros and Armada JJ 2.0's on a few a/b/c/d compro hill days on soft smooth, soft warm cut up and firmer snow groomers.
    Master of mediocrity.

Name:	P1090302.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	279.4 KB 
ID:	230895
    What? No tip extenders or cutting board adjustment plates?

Quote Originally Posted by Toddball View Post
    What? No tip extenders or cutting board adjustment plates?
    lol, tip extenders are 350km away. Lexan riser plates for the heel pieces on the Kuro's though. G3 bindings not enough forward ramp.
    Master of mediocrity.

lol, tip extenders are 350km away. Lexan riser plates for the heel pieces on the Kuro's though. G3 bindings not enough forward ramp.
    Any way to adjust for that neutrality with your boots' forward lean? Skied an old pair of La Sportiva Siderals and ATK's and felt like I was in a stovepipe. Straight up and down.