Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
    I run a similar setup (ATK freeraiders on Vwerks Katanas) and am thoroughly impressed with both. The ATK blows every dynafit out of the water. Note however, that it is still a traditional pin binding, so very harsh. for such a ski a tecton may be worth the weight penalty if you are skiing a lot of crappy snow.

Quote Originally Posted by smooth operator View Post
    I run a similar setup (ATK freeraiders on Vwerks Katanas) and am thoroughly impressed with both. The ATK blows every dynafit out of the water. Note however, that it is still a traditional pin binding, so very harsh. for such a ski a tecton may be worth the weight penalty if you are skiing a lot of crappy snow.
    Been thinking of getting tectons for more comfort. Probably finish this season with these and maybe get tectons for next one.

Lähetetty minun FIG-LX1 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

Revised.

178 (!!??) Blizzard ZeroG 95 with Vipecs
    184 4FRNT Raven with Tectons
    187 Praxis Protest with Kingpins

Not sure I'll keep the Ravens. We'll see.

I would also love to try one of the ultralight boots (like Scarpa F1 or Alien RS). Someday...maybe.

For next season, I'm going to pull the KPs from the Protest and swap in some Alpinists. I'd prefer a non-Marker but the skis are already pretty damn Swiss cheesed.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by meter-man; 04-17-2019 at 05:01 PM.
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Revised.

178 (!!??) Blizzard ZeroG 95
    184 4FRNT Raven
    187 Praxis Protest

I would also love to try one of the ultralight boots (like Scarpa F1 or Alien RS). Someday...maybe.

For next season, I'm going to pull the KPs from the Protest and swap in some Alpinists. I'd prefer a non-Marker but the skis are already pretty damn Swiss cheesed.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    How's that Protest/Kingpin combo treat you? I picked up some 187 Protests and KP's with thoughts of using them for Japan next season but am debating if that's too heavy to be enjoyable. Have yet to mount.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    How's that Protest/Kingpin combo treat you? I picked up some 187 Protests and KP's with thoughts of using them for Japan next season but am debating if that's too heavy to be enjoyable. Have yet to mount.
    For powder like Japan there’s zero reason to run kingpins. I’ve found alpinist almost indistinguishable. And they are cheap on amazon.

I took Protests w/ Shifts to Japan as a one ski quiver and it was fine. If (when?) I go back I’ll take two skis, Protests w/ Cast and something 100-110 under foot with Kingpins. Protests are overkill for long tours, but with all the 15-30 min skins, it’s nice to have the option to skin with any ski you take.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    I only have one day on my Ravens so don't have a great overall impression yet (felt like I was still getting used to them). What's your take at this point?

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    For powder like Japan there’s zero reason to run kingpins. I’ve found alpinist almost indistinguishable. And they are cheap on amazon.
    I love my Protests. I've now had them with STH and Kingpins. They are a great resort pow ski, but a superlative touring ski. This version is the MAP core with carbon (2065 grams/ski). They handle fresh, crusts, funk, and schmoo amazingly well. The KPs provide a powerful platform for driving these things. Definitely not too heavy, unless you really are a weight weenie. Then again, if you're putting them on Protests, that aint you! I've never really noticed the weight, and have done a fair amount of vert on them, including one stretch last winter touring 7 straight days between 4-7k, without too much pain. Despite their bad rep, I really trust the KPs. I'm always locked in, never had an insta-tele moment (unlike my Vipec blacks ), never had a pre-release, and always had perfect results with them. I have never locked my toe on them either.

That said, based on CaliBrit's recco in the 300g binder thread, and the same toe holes, I'm going to pop in the Alpinists and try those out for a 500g per foot weight savings. I'm mostly touring for fresh in the Protests, so don't think I'll miss the powerful heel too much. I hope... I'll mount em up for next winter, and if good, sell the KPs.

If I were starting over, and wanted a powerful touring binding (not a sidecountry binding like Shift or CAST), I think the Tecton skis a touch better - the same positive heel but with the much improved and unbelievably smooth (by comparison) Tecton/Vipec toe piece. I don't have enough days on mine to evaluate their durability/reliability yet.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I only have one day on my Ravens so don't have a great overall impression yet (felt like I was still getting used to them). What's your take at this point?
    I don't know yet. They make every snow condition easy, but they are also kinda boring. Perhaps it's the reverse camber? Maybe I'd like them better a bit fatter (110ish) or a bit longer (190 instead of 184). I dunno. I'm going to keep skiing them but so far, so boring. I have not found a single day of touring these where I would not prefer to be on my Protests. We'll see...
    sproing!

update...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	quiver.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	314236

180cm G3 Manhattans w/BD 02s, though these are 99% inbounds (or october/june/foothills rock skis)

179cm Praxis Wootest 2.0s, UL/carbon, 3 flex, maple veneer, Cubes, w/ATK Trofeo 10 on the line. It's staggering how much I like these... since I got them I haven't skied anything else. 8 days, 30k' vert, all kinds of snow. Buy a pair.

177cm Down Lowdown 90s w/Plum 150s, around +1.5 by accident, but it's a great mount point actually. These are for very steep skiing, springtime shenanigans, and so on. The "if you were afraid of dying skiing this insane line and wanted your one most trusted pair of skis, it would be this pair" of my quiver.

177cm Movement Response-X w/Ski Trab Gara Titans, on the line. Lightweight powder touring, racing, huge days, corn harvests. They get a little squirrely in weird snow, but they are terrific in consistent snow, especially for the weight. 6k dawn patrol kinda ski.

179 PMGear Carbon Bro orphan, which I keep meaning to give to skifishbum. Sadly its brother perished in the line of duty. Crazy fun powder ski. If Praxis ever made this ski I would 100% buy a pair. The funnest powder touring rig ever.

Name:	IMG_6059.JPG 
Views:	302 
Size:	897.8 KB 
ID:	314265

Had to get this up before I sell the Katanas. Will probably get some Mtn Explore 88s for the spring!

Quote Originally Posted by dub_xion View Post

Name:	IMG_6059.JPG 
Views:	302 
Size:	897.8 KB 
ID:	314265

Had to get this up before I sell the Katanas. Will probably get some Mtn Explore 88s for the spring!

Don't you like the katanas for spring skiing?

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Name:	IMG_0036.jpg 
Views:	343 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	314290

Blue (travel - touring and resort):
    Moment Bibby in 184 + Solly Shift + G3 Alpinist skins

Red (all backcountry all the time):
    Moment WCT108 in 184 + ATK FR 14 + Pomoca SGlide Tipon skins

Boots:
    Tecnica ZGTP with Booster

I've since removed the brakes on the ATKs.
    aerospace eng with a gravity fetish
    ig

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    Don't you like the katanas for spring skiing?
    I probably would! Just going to a Qo1 for a bit with the BMT 109s to lighten things up, I'm sure they're plenty good as a spring ski too.

Name:	IMG_1470.JPG 
Views:	319 
Size:	256.1 KB 
ID:	314306

184 Katana w/MTN’s
    177 Backland 95 w/MTN’s

Guess I’ll mount the katanas up then. Been on the fence as the weight seems a little high. But they seem to have TGR approval!

Name:	88EB4BD7-1A6F-405C-A707-B85646498364.jpeg 
Views:	311 
Size:	270.2 KB 
ID:	314701
    180 BC/MTNs and Custom MVP 119 UL/Helio 200s for pow days.
    Last edited by GoSlowGoFar; 02-09-2020 at 04:15 PM.

^ the topsheets on both of those are outstanding

^ X2, best Praxis graphics ever.

PNW quiver:

1. Salomon MTN Explore 95 (177) + Zeds - for spring skiing, ski mountaineering, 'fitness laps', etc.
    2. Atomic Bent Chetler 120 (184) + Zeds - for midwinter touring
    3. Line Pescado (180) + Tectons - for making meadow skipping and low-angle pow more fun, and for skiing slush at the resort. They're not great in dense chop, so aren't the best resort powder ski.

Name:	IMG_3596.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	326086

This year touring quiver. Goto skis and powder day skis.

Lähetetty minun LYA-L29 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

Name:	IMG_1680.JPG 
Views:	177 
Size:	191.2 KB 
ID:	348032

188 Camox Freebird / G3 ION LT

188 Dynafit Chugach / Duke

192 WNDR Alpine Intention RC / Shifts

189 Wren Tour layup / Kingpin

191 Caylors / G3 ION

191 Caylors / Duke

Name:	PXL_20201227_000843176.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	1.76 MB 
ID:	358852

188 Blizzard Rustler 11 with SHIFTs. 2952 grams. Travel, do-it-all. Awesome ski. So versatile. SHIFTs are…okay.

187 Praxis Protest with Kingpins. 2838 grams. Pow-touring. My favorite touring ski ever. Every run on these is soooo fun. I have a pair of Alpinists I’ve been meaning to swap on (take off the KPs), but this winter has not been motivating for that change!

189 Atomic Backland 107 with Tectons. 2264 grams. Just sold these. Good set-up but too much overlap with…

190 Moment Wildcat Tour 107 with Voyager 14s. 2300 grams. Excellent daily-driver touring set-up. Does it all well.

183 Black Diamond Helio Carbon 95 with Alpinists. 1810 grams. For big, long days with firm snow. Volcanoes. Multi-day. Etc.

Driven by Scarpa Maestrale RS and Head Kore 1 - trying to decide which to dump. The Kore skis and fits better, but kinda sucks to tour in esp compared to the RS. I just want an RS with a narrow heel-cup -- is that too much to ask???
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlowGoFar View Post

Name:	88EB4BD7-1A6F-405C-A707-B85646498364.jpeg 
Views:	311 
Size:	270.2 KB 
ID:	314701
    180 BC/MTNs and Custom MVP 119 UL/Helio 200s for pow days.
    That's an awesome quiver.

How do you like the MVP 119s? I have the Praxis FRS (almost a MVP 119) with alpine bindings - I commented that it would be a sweet shape for backcountry pow touring.
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post

Name:	IMG_1470.JPG 
Views:	319 
Size:	256.1 KB 
ID:	314306

184 Katana w/MTN’s
    177 Backland 95 w/MTN’s
    That Backland shape seems like it would be awesome in that waist width. It was good in the 107 width, but I thought it would be even better a touch narrower, like 95!
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by macon View Post

Name:	IMG_0036.jpg 
Views:	343 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	314290

Blue (travel - touring and resort):
    Moment Bibby in 184 + Solly Shift + G3 Alpinist skins

Red (all backcountry all the time):
    Moment WCT108 in 184 + ATK FR 14 + Pomoca SGlide Tipon skins

Boots:
    Tecnica ZGTP with Booster

I've since removed the brakes on the ATKs.
    I love the simplicity of this quiver! And both skis too.
    sproing!