Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

WTF happened to Dunkin?

My only experience with Dunkin was the one on Canyon and Folsom 10 years ago in Boulder. That place was run by a nice Korean lady with big boobs and kind eyes.

So anyway, one opened up in town here in Krispy Kreme land and we swung by to check it out. I was expecting a donut with nice crust outside and thin glaze of sugar over the top, I ended up with a wet sponge with some halfass cake frosting on top.

Is this how they do donuts now?
    Was the Korean lady in Boulder doing her own thing?
    I'm pissed over soggy donuts and I want answers.

They still make a decent cup o' joe, but let me rant for a minute outside of the "Shit that Annoys You" thread:

What the heck is with people who go into Dunkin and order: ummm...six....no, wait...make that a dozen. I'll start with a...ohhhhh, what's that....yeah I'll have two of those "jelly" I think you called them....then...ummmmm....oh gosh....ummm...two...no three "glazed is it?....and also....

WTF????? You've never seen a donut before????? DAMMIT!!!!!
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

It varies store-by-store (which is pretty stupid from a franchising perspective if you ask me, but no one did). Some still make them in back, some truck them in from some central bakery or another store. QC and consistency seem lacking to me. Long-term that place is probably done, people don't eat that shit like they used to. Plus the coffee's not that good and they refuse to relinquish control of the cream and sugar and they never get it quite right.

It's still better than Tim Horton's but that's not saying much.

Many are franchised locations and the training may not pass down for the donuts frying and toppings done right. It also could be the time of the day and how long they have sat on the rack since being made.

They fry no donuts in store anymore. Frozen stock limited selection. The good old days of real donuts at DD are over.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    It varies store-by-store (which is pretty stupid from a franchising perspective if you ask me, but no one did). Some still make them in back, some truck them in from some central bakery or another store. QC and consistency seem lacking to me. Long-term that place is probably done, people don't eat that shit like they used to. Plus the coffee's not that good and they refuse to relinquish control of the cream and sugar and they never get it quite right.

It's still better than Tim Horton's but that's not saying much.
    I don't think any Dunkies still actually makes them in the store. Not one that I've been to for at least 10 years, anyway. Maybe there are a few holdouts somewhere in New England if you go to an old store, but I haven't found one for a long time.
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    I don't think any Dunkies still actually makes them in the store. Not one that I've been to for at least 10 years, anyway. Maybe there are a few holdouts somewhere in New England if you go to an old store, but I haven't found one for a long time.
    Those were the days.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    and they refuse to relinquish control of the cream and sugar and they never get it quite right.
    This still baffles me. And is reason alone for me to not go to Dunkins.

Obligatory:

"fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Dunkin was good? News to me.
    Always been a Tim Horton's homer.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    I don't think any Dunkies still actually makes them in the store.
    Man. That's sad. The one I grew up by not only had pretty good donuts, but also made some great kolaches too. Don't know if that was a local thing or franchise-wide, but I liked it. I miss fresh donuts. Something we certainly don't get in Big Sky either. Somebody want to open up a donut shop here?

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    Man. That's sad. The one I grew up by not only had pretty good donuts, but also made some great kolaches too. Don't know if that was a local thing or franchise-wide, but I liked it. I miss fresh donuts. Something we certainly don't get in Big Sky either. Somebody want to open up a donut shop here?
    Now am I craving kolaches. Hmm...does anyone ship?

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    When I lived in Durango, there was no donut shop, and I was convinced that a Dunkins would kill it there. Alas, the price of entry is something like half a million for a Dunkins.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by 2bjenny View Post
    Now am I craving kolaches. Hmm...does anyone ship?
    I'm pretty sure there's a place in Eugene that does

Why people like stale, tasteless Dunkin Donuts coffee, I will never understand.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I hail from the cradle of Dunk's, on the South Shore-so I feel compelled to toss in these three boring personal DD experiences/anecdotes.

1. I was a fat little paper boy because the fucker's dropped our bundles of Globes, Record Americans and Herald Travellers on the corner of Oliver St. and Main which happened to be the site of On of the earliest DD's in the nation. They made some awesome donuts back then kid.
    2. Went to Catholic HS a couple of towns away. Took a half hour bus ride down 128 to get there. At least once a week we would start chanting "DONUTS DONUTS DONUTS until the bus driver, a likable of bastard named Charley would pull over and let us tank up on sugar and caffeine. Brother Marcellus was never amused but it didn't seem to change things any.
    3. Fast forward to my early parent years exiled to a town just north of Boston and the local little league is doing a rubber ducky race to raise money. You know buy a ducky number they drop a thousand of them in the little river that runs through the center. First gets a grand, second $500 and third gets a dozen donuts a week for a year. Guess which one I had. Those donuts were pretty fuckin mediocre. Prevented my kids from developing any kind of donut addiction though.
    Fast forward to modern times - I drink Starbucks.
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

Why people like stale, tasteless Dunkin Donuts coffee, I will never understand.
    I don't know what's changed, but I could've sworn Dunkin Donuts had pretty good coffee up until a few years ago. Last batch I bought was not good. I'd blame it on changing taste, but it seemed distinctly different from what I had remembered.

Same goes for McDonald's of all things. It used to be garbage coffee, then they made a big marketing push about the fact that they had "new" coffee" and lo and behold, it was actually pretty good! But fast forward a few years later and it's garbage again. They definitely changed suppliers I'm sure in an effort to maximize profits. I'd bet same thing's happened to Dunkin Donuts now that they've grown so much since I was younger.

It has always tasted stale and watery to me.
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

WTF happened to Dunkin?

Surprised OP was able to make it up to meet her kind eyes away from her big boobs.

It has always tasted stale and watery to me.
    Totally agree on watery. Stale depends on time of day. In the morning they go through that shit like it's free beer.
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

Quote Originally Posted by nutmegchoi View Post
    Surprised OP was able to make it up to meet her kind eyes away from her big boobs.
    So you're saying Pics or it didn't happen?

Twice recycled private equity stripped down Wall Street company.

I blame Mitt Romney.

This is sad. I'm no saint when it comes to food, but, Donuts are on my top ten to avoid list, although I enjoy a cinnamon quickie every now and then.
    Do you guys drive up to a window for your sugary junk?

Benny I don't think you need to worry about dying early, have a donut.

It's a constant battle, dude. No surrender!