Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Who's charging on big skis & Wardens?

Really intrigued by the possibilities of running an AT boot with at least one pair of dedicated lift served skis. What are your experiences? Is it a huge compromise from stepping down from a STH/STH2 16?

*many of the shop folk have looked at me & shook their heads.

Thanks in advance.

No first hand knowledge, but you might also consider Marker Jester/Griffon ID's or Tyrolia Attack 14 AT's.

I am. No issues.

An AT boot and it's flex are going to hold you back more than a binding.

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    I am. No issues.

An AT boot and it's flex are going to hold you back more than a binding.
    I would agree^^ I am only 160lb fading advanced, so when I ran the Vulcan/vert/lotus inbounds as long as the boot stayed in the binding and came out when it's sposed to ( it did ) it was the compromises of an AT boot that I felt not the binding and if you really need a binding that goes to 11 you already know this

I found another set of lotus with barons so i could use AT or alpine boots but i havent bothered to use the Vulcans ... I just stick with the alpine boots

one nice thing about verts/vulcans/lotus was the light weight ... easyier on the legs
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I run Wardens & Vulcans. Have been since the Warden came out. No issues. Was running Dukes w Vulcans before Wardens came out.
    "... when I turn, I just hope it hits me in the face."--Shroder Baker/Under the Influence

I skied cochise with the tech soles in various Salomons, mostly 997s, without any issues. Had to plane the sole of the toe down a bit to fit into the toe piece. Obviously not a sanctioned/indemnified solution. Also on occasion have used Vulcan's recently. Used both boots on cochise, billygoat, belafonte, faction 13.
    "College sailing isn't about who wins the most races, its about who can stand in the morning"

Dunno if I count as ripping, but I weigh about 190 plus gear... I ski my protests and my nordica El capos in 189+ lengths hard, drop off of things, etc, etc and wardens have been great with my at boots.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Wardens are fine. Ski just like STH2.

It's the AT boot that is your limiting factor. Depending on the "AT" boot of course. There are some that are almost as burly as a downhill boot.

I wouldn't want to ski an injected GS course on it. But for off piste and general free skiing -- game on.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Wardens are fine. Ski just like STH2.

It's the AT boot that is your limiting factor. Depending on the "AT" boot of course. There are some that are almost as burly as a downhill boot . . .
    Four pairs of skis from 114mm to 125mm mounted with Warden 13's, skiing Lange XT Freetours, Salomon MTN Labs, Tecnica Zero G Guide Pros and Atomic Hawx Ultra 130 XTD's last season, no issues at all.

The year before I had pretty much the same quiver, all with STH2 16's. While I think the STH2 toe delivers slightly better lateral power transmission, the difference is only a few percentage points.

Two winters ago I had to warranty my raceboots and was left with only my 193 Blizzard Scouts, Kingpin 13s and TLT6Ps to ski with. I was fine for the month it was my only setup. The biggest limiting factor was the boots, not the bindings. I got over that though once I adjusted how I skied, more centered, less in the front of the boot.

I do have to say, the first few turns last winter in my new raceboots and on big stiff skis, reminded me why I love stiff boots and big skis.

Wardens on Spurs, New Griffons on BlackCrow Navis, all driven by BD Factor MX. Never an issue with either, but I am not a destroyer of gear. More smooth and steady rather than pound it out , regarding skiing style.

The soft sole on your AT boots will be more noticeable than the play in the wardens.

I had 193 Confessions last year with Warden13s and skied them with both my RS 130s and XT Freetours. The lateral play and lag was distinctly more noticeable with the freetours.

Its still no P18, and I'm the future I'll keep my skis mounted with Pivots and STHs. The durability for season after season use will be enough reason for me. If however, your looking for an alpine style binding to use with your touring boots on a handful of pow days it's a good choice.
    Last edited by XavierD; 09-25-2017 at 08:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    The soft sole on your AT boots will be more noticeable than the play in the wardens.
    . The lateral play and lag was distinctly more noticeable with the freetours.
    this ^^ I have a theory that a Vibram AT sole will compress which stores energy and when it reelases that energy it causes pre-release

On my FR+ with a swapable soled Garmont, same setup/same boot, I had to turn the heel DIN up one with AT Vibram soles or i would walk right out of them in G-outs which never happened with DIN soles
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Four pairs of skis from 114mm to 125mm mounted with Warden 13's, skiing Lange XT Freetours, Salomon MTN Labs, Tecnica Zero G Guide Pros and Atomic Hawx Ultra 130 XTD's last season, no issues at all.
    Greg, I ski the 130 free tours in the bc.

How would they compare to the xtd, as far as skiing is concerned?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    I ski the 130 free tours in the bc. How would they compare to the xtd, as far as skiing is concerned?
    Personally I prefer the stance and the progressive nature of the flex of the XT 130 Freetour for the downhill, but they weigh almost 500 grams more per boot and have less range of motion and more friction in tour mode. For mostly lift or heli or cat skiing, the XT Freetour works great. On a day when you're ascending under your own power, the lighter weight and better walk mode of the Hawx XTD make a big difference.

180lbs here and on a Praxis concept 187 inserted for wardens and kingpins......zero issues. I used to only run STH variants but I love the fact that I can run my AT boot as well now

Get Full Tilts.

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    Greg, I ski the 130 free tours in the bc.

How would they compare to the xtd, as far as skiing is concerned?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app
    They're not even on the same playing field. The Hawx XTD is closer to the other dedicated touring boots than the It is to the Freetour. No progressive flex, or depth to the flex, it still blows out.

I am planning on running a set of Wardens Demos with Salomon Mtn labs this season for one pair. I'm thinking on days with a ton of traverses and boot packing it may be better than the trusty plug race boots.

I tend to break boots and bindings quicker than some, so it will be interesting to see how they hold up.

The main thing with Wardens over the STH toe, is the AFD. It is made with an angle to accept the rocker toe of a touring boot, plus the AFD moves side to side to get a proper release.
    "... when I turn, I just hope it hits me in the face."--Shroder Baker/Under the Influence

Thanks all for the beta & certainly keep it coming.

I picked up a pair of LaSportiva Spectra2's off the board here & my thinking is that they could take the place of both my AT boot & my "I'm not on a plank/race ski" ride. In looking at them, I can certainly see we're the lateral play especially will be the weak link.

Thanks for sorting that out for me.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonhead View Post
    I am planning on running a set of Wardens Demos with Salomon Mtn labs this season for one pair. I'm thinking on days with a ton of traverses and boot packing it may be better than the trusty plug race boots.

I tend to break boots and bindings quicker than some, so it will be interesting to see how they hold up.
    ^ this is exactly what I've been thinking.

The Tracker is the same mechanism, yeah? It's a solid binding. Holds you in. Releases you if it needs to. Feels good when you step in, and felt good the 1 time it let me out (and had to). That was in an alpine boot with Vibram sole with the low friction bit where it touches the afd.
    Granted I'm not a super charger at all, but I'm a big-ish guy and their on Q Labs.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Just sent my wardens in for warranty after @50-60 days of use. Toes developed some serious slop. Toe unit was rotating around the axle that connects it to the pedestal (the toe unit has a slot for the axle that allows for vertical height adjustment). I'm 140lbs and ski hard. Mounted on Rossi Sickles used with Dalbello Lupo TI carbons. Just the facts ma'am. Now back to 916s.