Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WWMD: 75" 4k TV on a budget

Other than DD's tastes in beef you fuckers are usually a good compendium of smart thinking, info and sourcing.

I want a big ass TV. 75" 4k HDR. I want it to be thin, watch movies, Netflix, Amazon prime, some sports, but not a whole lot. As I am a very stingy guy I want to pay less than $2k - preferably MUCH less - and am not bothered by open box, refurb, last year's etc. But I don't want the low end of the food chain.

Shopping online for these is a bottomless rabbit hole. Head starts spinning after about 15 minutes. Same with walking into Costco/Bestbuy. Specs seem to be inconsistent and reviews vary wildly (can Amazon reviews be trusted?), AVSforums.com is a good source but not every option is discussed and they're a little more oriented toward more $$$$.

Yes, I want 75". I'd go 70", but not 65". I know there are more good values in those sizes out there.

Are you an electronics expert or have you done this recently? Please share with the class. Thank you.
    Last edited by oftpiste; 09-24-2017 at 11:19 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

PM Damien Sanders
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

If you want amazon prime on the smart tv directly, check what brands support it currently. My Vizio claimed it did but it turned out they stopped supporting the firmware for my model, which was frustrating clicking on the prime icon and getting a spinning clock.

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    PM Damien Sanders
    Is he with Rontele?

OK, I'd go 70" too.

I'm looking for a similar set.
    I'm waiting until around Thanksgiving, when all the retailers will be blowing them out.

Do you think there's really that much benefit to the black friday thing? I keep hearing retail experts say it's become a myth.

Who knows for sure, but I don't really need it until then. I've heard retailers are starting to discount earlier and earlier, to get consumers cash.
    I'll buy online, from out of state.

I bought a house that was built in 1999, with a giant cubby for an old tube tv, above the Fireplace.
    Wife wants a expensive built in. I just want to slap a mount across it and cover the whole thing with a flat screen.
    She gets a new Kitchen, I get a big TV.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    Is he with Rontele?

OK, I'd go 70" too.
    He claimed he had the largest TV on TGR, our own Mike TeeVee
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

that was long ago and far away. TV's are bigger now.

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    He claimed he had the largest TV on TGR, our own Mike TeeVee
    Big TV, small wheels...

We just got a 55" TCL 4k TV, initial impressions are very positive, price was quite nice.

how big of a room is it going in ? If you don't have enough viewing distance that thing will give you cancer or impotence. Just go to Costco and pay for it with their CC and you'll get the extended warranty for free.

Already old. Both those will show up any day anyway. I do need to go to costco and see about a deal on a floor model or something.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    Do you think there's really that much benefit to the black friday thing? I keep hearing retail experts say it's become a myth.
    Last year best deals were before Black Friday. You could buy your big screen on Sunday and have it setup and be watching football drunk and turkified on Thursday for within a couple bucks of the black Friday price.

-trouble with floor models/returns/etc is employees will get first crack at them. No matter what official policy is.

After seeing OLED in person my only input is wait until they come down in price. The contrast ratio is insane and makes a huge difference.
    "The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled you just become a replica of someone else's mind." Chomsky

"This system make of us slaves. Without dignity. Without depth. No? With a devil in our pocket. This incredible money in our pocket. This money. This shit. This nothing. This paper who have nothing inside." Jodorowsky

You mean like what plasmas used to be? So sad when we lost those to shitfuck LEDs/LCDs way back when.

anyone know the secret handshake to ascertain when those prices are at their lowest or close to it? pre-black friday or whenever....

The Samsung SUHD has a great picture. My GF wanted a tv and we ended up with a 65 in the SUHD. Ended up is the key. We started with a UHD 75 and that one had a defect in the picture, was too big for the room and the artifacts were insufferable. That one back to Best Buy.

Next, we ordered the 65 inch SUHD from Amazon. This one showed up with a dent in the bezel and another flaw in the picture. Amazon was great and replaced it but it took a while.

If you read reviews a lot of people get defective displays so be ready for the worst. Eventually you'll get a good one.

OLED is great but if you want 75 for a little less the SUHD Samsung is pretty good.

Advice is to buy one with easy warranty replacement from major retailer.

Edit: Samsung SUHD has been replaced by QLED. You can still get an SUHD on Amazon.

^^ that one's about 2x my budget in 75". There's a 75" LG that has good reviews at costco for $1799. Not sure I'm ready to pull the trigger but sorely tempted.

If you can wait a few months, go to Bestbuy the week after superbowl. There will be some open box returns for cheap.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using TGR Forums mobile app
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

These guys have this for $1400 less than Amazon.

https://www.joesav.com/Samsung-LED-H...un85ju7100.htm
    Last edited by Shredhead; 11-11-2017 at 06:03 PM.

is that a real place? shows as $2379.....

I’ll let you know, when it’s in my door.