Volkl VTA 108 beta?

Has any industry insiders out there got any time on these? They look like a good, solid performing touring ski for all season and conditions.

The write ups look good-any on-snow experiences?

Interested in this as well, especially if they changed much from the Nunataqs. The lengths are different this year, so I'm assuming there's been some kind of change (edit: looks like they did change from full rocker on the Nunataqs to tip rocker for the VTA). Loved my 178 Nunataqs, perfect for most of the b/c I did, but folded a little when pushed (really pushed) on-piste. 181 seems like a perfect length.

3rds. Anyone ski these? Hand flexed them and they seem stiff enough underfoot and surprisingly flexible in the tail, might be too soft for people that want a stiffer tail.

Took two runs on them. My notes say "very light on the feet, smooth and predictable, turns with very little driver input" - not nearly as precise and stable as the Nunataq, though.

Interesting, thanks! Might be the BMT for me, then. Any comparisons to the Zero G 108 or Faction Prime 3.0?

Quote Originally Posted by dub_xion View Post
    Zero G 108 or Faction Prime 3.0?
    Similar feeling skis except for how they hit you in the wallet, the Zero G 108 is a bit "edgier" . . .

How does it compare to the BMT of similar width?

is the VTA geared more to the uphill?
    Are they still doing VTA and VTA light? that shit was very confusing.

Anyone else try these, or compare them to BMT 109?

Wife and I got a couple runs on them during the NW demo at Mission a couple months ago. Pretty much boilerplate everywhere but these held up remarkably well, same with the 98's. Easy turn initiation, good stability at speed, much better than expected grip on the hard stuff, and pretty stable at speed. Confidence inspiring. I wouldn't hesitate to use these in steep, wind-scoured conditions. (FWIW, I weigh about 215lb) Possibly a little less damp than BMT's but still average or better for a touring ski. She spent both days on touring boards and they were her pick for a touring daily driver. Nice skis, too bad we didn't get a chance to put them in more varied conditions. That's about all the info I can provide from first hand experience.

LT

Thanks LT. Looks like the VTA 108 is more pow oriented than the BMT given the fat tips/tails and presumably softer flex (not V-werks).

Odd that the 181 VTA has only a slightly smaller radius than the 176 BMT given that the tips are substantially wider and the waist slightly smaller, I'd expect a lot bigger difference. Guess it's the length.

Just grabbed a pair of 189’s for $320 from freeze pro shop, may have been last pair. They still have the 2 shorter lengths at this price if anyone is interested.

I ran across a pair in 173, also Freeze pro and couldn't pass them up for the price. Many different reviews and interestingly, Italians, Norwegians, and French have all documented this ski. The same basic ski can't have such diverse opinions / reviews unless the local snow conditions and a little nationalism are factors? Anyway, like the flex and weight and my 5' 9" /145lb frame ought to work fine in 173's.