Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Fiedler View Post
    That's why I buy a huge chuck of Top sirloin and Brisket and Grind my own.... grocery store and costco frozen burger patties are hooves/skin :-P
    I want to try this. What's your mix? Hand grinder or.....? I'm thinking maybe chuck and flap with a little rib (for the fat) mixed in?
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    Top round, slow cooked at 250 degree to medium rare.
    Carve onto a Kimmelwick roll, a little au jus and some fresh horseradish. The perfect sandwich!
    Beef on Weck, a WNY classic and one of the best sandwiches ever created. When I was growing up most working class taverns/restaraunts in the Buffalo area prided themselves on their Beef on Weck and wings. What a killer combo.

Sent from my SM-G900V using TGR Forums mobile app

Rump roast
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    . . . a big ol' 4-5 lb pot roast is hard to beat.
    I picked one up today, will braise it tomorrow with fresh carrots and onions from the garden

Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    Rump roast
    No fat. Yuck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

I had pot roast tonight. It was tasty.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by skiing-in-jackson View Post
    Chuck eye round. Poor man's prime rib. Used to be cheap- now popular & more pricey.
    Also called a market steak. It’s the very end of the rib, or beginning of the chuck. Rib eyes are between the 6th and 12th ribs, chuck eyes are at the 5/6. Tasty if you can find
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Was there.

Not there anymore.

Bacon wrapped fillet mignon w/ a side of burly stout and whiskey.

I'm surprised by the lack of love for a well smoked beef rib.

And my list, in order

1. Bone in ribeye
    2. Smoked Brisket (the bacon of beef)
    3. Smoked ribs
    4. Braised short rib
    5. Beef cheek tacos
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    I'm surprised by the lack of love for a well smoked beef rib.
    It may be because a well smoked pork rib is so much better
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Standing rib roast cut from the chuck end; thats the end with the smaller eye, for all you meat poseurs who didn't immediately know that.. From a worthy cow, obviously, and buy it five to six days in advance. Then leave it to sit in the fridge loosely covered for four or five days and let the enzymes do their job. If you would cook a rib roast straight from the grocery store, add your name to the list of meat poseurs. Rub it with some kosher salt and put it back in the fridge for 24 hrs. Take it out of the fridge and put more salt and a lot of fresh pepper on it. Let it come up towards room temp before you put it in to roast. Don't overcook it. Allow carry-over heat to do its job as the roast rests. That is the tastiest cut, imho. It has variety. Has all the tenderness of loin and the flavor richness of the bone, connective tissue and fat. It's got ample crust and ample red in the center. There's something for everyone; give the person who likes well done meat the end piece, the person who wants blood can have one of the center slices, throw the kids the bones...can't miss. That said, its a tricky cut to cook perfectly and it does take extra effort to really bring out the best in it.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 09-25-2017 at 03:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Oh shit do I miss ox tails!!!!! Alas, they're a victim of a cranky, fat intolerant stomach. Ox tail stew was the high point of the week when growing up.
    I cook stuff like that in advance in my pressure cooker and then put it in the fridge overnight. Pressure helps render out the fat and then, when its at 40 degrees, I can pry out the meat and pop the solid fat cap off the liquid. With the meat out and the fat removed, its a snap to strain and reduce the remaining liquid down to a grease free sauce or demi. I can't eat oxtails, short ribs, chuck roasts (traditionally braised cuts, in other words) without doing this de-fatting step. Gravy loaded with beef tallow is disgusting, imho. It coats the palate and ya can't taste a damn thing.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 09-25-2017 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    I want to try this. What's your mix? Hand grinder or.....? I'm thinking maybe chuck and flap with a little rib (for the fat) mixed in?
    I don't have a fixed "ratio" that I feed my power grinder. But I use more Top Sirloin then I do Brisket. Brisket is so fatty. Toss in some pork butt/sausage mix if you're just grinding chuck. Good Flavor!

I like mine mostly boiled.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

I always have to bite my tongue in the grocery check out. They ask if I want my meat in plastic. I smile and nod and mumble something affirmative quickly before my mouth can engage itself. The answer of course is no, I prefer it unwrapped, however, latex if it must be wrapped.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

If I must stay away from a beef on weck sandwich...

Central Texas smoked brisket. I still don't know how they pack so much flavor into something that's only seasoned with salt and pepper. That first bite was better than anything I've ever had at any steakhouse.

Speaking beef sandwiches
    I like cooking a rib-ey in butter and onions then slice it to makes sandwiches. On Ski trips I do it for the next day. Nothing like being on the hill and having a steak sandwich with a good beer.
    Damn I'm having a Pavlovian response just thinking about it.