Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Roofing cleanup advice

Today my house and garage roof finally got replaced after a huge fucking hail storm. All going well, house roof looks great, impressed they got the garage roof done in the same day.

But then, I walk inside my garage a few hours after the crew leaves -- and it's a fucking disaster zone. My garage is a 1 1/2 car garage used exclusively for gear storage. A dozen pairs of skis on one wall all neat and tidy, a dozen bikes on the other, camping gear in one corner, climbing gear in another, a big chair for lounging in, a van seat for more people, a bunch of packs, outerwear, spare parts hanging from the walls. All of it now covered in a thick layer of shingle and other roofing bits.

Now, I understand, maybe this is unavoidable when re-roofing an old garage. Or at least I understand that in retrospect. (I'm a first time homeowner, so yeah -- sometimes things obvious to other people are not obvious to me.) But roofer I've been working with made no mention of any need to cover stuff in the garage, or take it out if I didn't want it covered in a shit ton of roofing debris.

He's offered to have his crew come out and clean. I don't really want to take him up on that. Like...how is a crew of roofers going to satisfactorily clean a bunch of outdoors gear. So it's likely throwing away a weekend to clean up the mess that could've easily been prevented by a half hours worth of throwing tarps over shit.

Advice? Mostly I just needed to bitch.

That sucks.

An opportunity to purge and reorganize your stuff. Pull everything outside and blow off the loose debris. Sweep, vaccum & blow out the garage. Install any new storage shelves, hooks, etc that will make it all more efficient.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    That sucks.

An opportunity to purge and reorganize your stuff. Pull everything outside and blow off the loose debris. Sweep, vaccum & blow out the garage. Install any new storage shelves, hooks, etc that will make it all more efficient.
    Yeah, an opportunity -- but at the wrong time and unnecessary since I'd already done a big re-org this spring.

If I'm spending hours cleaning up their mess which was easily avoid -- hopefully I can at least get comp'd enough to buy a damn blower and shop vac.

A few missing details here.

Did the roofer check out the interior of the garage fairly extensively beforehand? If not, I really wouldn't blame him for the mess. Most of the time, there would be some kind of ceiling that would catch the mess, and in my experience roofers aren't too concerned with anything other than the roof.

Either way it is a shitty situation for you, but it also might just be one that you should call a learning experience. As a first time homeowner, consider it a lesson that the onus of managing situations like this is on you in the future.

Having a hard time even figuring out how they got roofing material inside of your garage?

Sounding like maybe your garage was built like shit?

Or he managed to piss them off so they "forgot" they got paid to clean up that shit too.

Yeah, my garage was built in the 1950s -- so no it's not built to modern standards. The roofer had been inside to assess whether storm created any water damage. Don't see what I could've done to piss him off: hired him, dealt with delays with no complaints, paid invoices within 24 hours, and choose a roof color that he had some excess of to help him out.

I'm not saying that there should've been no debris. But part of why your hire someone is they have experience . A little warning so I could throw down some tarps would've saved a lot of headache.

He's now admitted that he fucked up at not warning or taking precautions. Now it's just settling how we get this cleaned up.
    Last edited by doebedoe; 09-23-2017 at 06:32 AM.

If you're concerned about your gear - pull it out, and let them do the rest of the cleanup!

Quote Originally Posted by capulin overdrive View Post
    Having a hard time even figuring out how they got roofing material inside of your garage?

Sounding like maybe your garage was built like shit?
    It's probably board sheathing rather than plywood. If the roofer inspected the roof from the inside, he knew this would happen. He should have given this guy a heads up. Bummer.

Bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by savemeasammy View Post
    It's probably board sheathing rather than plywood. If the roofer inspected the roof from the inside, he knew this would happen. He should have given this guy a heads up. Bummer.
    Looked up board sheathing -- definitely what I have so this is likely the problem. Roofer and insurance adjuster assessed the interior together for water damage which I luckily avoided. Both said that while the garage is old and the roof needed replacement that it was all structurally in good shape.

Did they sheet over the original board sheathing with ply? Can you see sky through every hole they blasted through the shingles when the nail gun met a board gap?

x3, don't let the roofers see your gear pile.

I certainly agree that the roofer should have given you a heads up since he had been inside. But, I would guess this would have happened with 8 out of 10 roofers. So, don't hold it against the guy too much. Considering everything, if he is willing to knock a small chunk off the final bill, that might be the best compromise.

Most contractors you bring to your house are going to act in the same way. You need to be the one to proactively protect your stuff! That's just the reality.

Good luck!

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    the application of roofing materials as a life skill for financial gain surely doesnt preclude you from the ability to clean outdoor gear
    i bet i have more outdoor gear than you
    and i probably use it more
    but i dont clean it much
    its "outdoor" gear
    and im not a anal homeowner
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Did they sheet over the original board sheathing with ply? Can you see sky through every hole they blasted through the shingles when the nail gun met a board gap?

x3, don't let the roofers see your gear pile.
    in case you were wondering each shingle gets nailed under the previous shingle so even if they blow through you would not see daylight
    if your still confused read the packages for instalation instructions
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Next time:

Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

I was exaggerating, fine. But some roofers won't install over gappy boards for this reason.

Carry on, pardon the distraction.

First World Problems thread JONG!

That sucks, I'd get money back and clean it myself. Pissing off the laborers does not bode well for your gear being cared for and/or not stolen.

I'm probably in the minority here but if I knew that the roof had to be stripped down to the rafters/ trusses, I would have pulled all my gear from the garage, knowing how big a fucking mess that creates. The roofer probably should have mentioned that, he may have and you chose to ignore, but maybe figured your were a guy and understood the scope of the job. Pretty sure he explained to you the work that was involved. I would never leave the responsibilities of my beloved outdoor gear to a contractor or his crew.

As others have said, remove gear and have them clean the garage.

If I knew this was a possibility I would've removed stuff. He's already copped up to the fact that he didn't warn me and that's his bad. It's been very apparent to him through this whole process that I am new to the homeownership world. He explained the roof would be stripped and reshingled, didn't explain that likely meant my garage was going to be trashed outside. Trivally obvious to those who've done such shit. But then, it's trivially obvious to us all how to mount your own fucking skis. Doesn't mean it should be assumed knowledge.

I'll be pulling the gear out but it's going to be two plus weeks. I live in a 1000sqft house and have hurricane-refugee family staying with me until power is restored for them along with my partner, and two dogs. Ain't got no space for a the quantity of gear I have in a secure spot.

I just needed to bitch frustration about last night that now I have to wade through shit every morning before work to get a bike until I rectify this mess.

Same thing happened to me, but I was smart enough to know that the open space between boards would mean lots of shit coming down, so I covered things. I didn't need to be told what was obvious. Lesson learned; pay attention.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Couldn't the Hurrican Refugee family help do all the cleanup? Problem solved.

Somehow I don't think my mid 70s father and step-mother are gonna be much help.

But yeah, thanks all for telling me I should've known this was gonna happen. Helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Same thing happened to me, but I was smart enough to know that the open space between boards would mean lots of shit coming down, so I covered things. I didn't need to be told what was obvious. Lesson learned; pay attention.
    X2, but neither of us are new to homeownership. Any remodel/fix kind of needs to be viewed through a filter of not just what is being fixed, but how not to fuck anything else up. Good on your contractor for being willing to work towards a resolution.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

For those more expert than me: how much do I need to worry about asbestos during cleanup if it is likely the bottom layer of shingles they ripped up are from the 80s or earlier?