Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    SFB can answer that better then anybody, but I don't think asbestos was used in shingles or felt, but I might be wrong. Popcorn ceilings are another store, at least old ones. I would still wear a decent mask because of all the dust and nasties in said dust.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

If the contractor guys suspected asbestos, then they would have done a lot of precautions in handling the old material- respirators and suits and would have been probably bagging the old material, not sliding it into a dumpster. Standard if you are worried about the dust is a mask.

This will pale in comparison to yet unforeseen upcoming home costs.
    Still better to own than rent though. Not sure about asbestos but I'd doubt it.
    Good dust mask and shop vac and then replace filter and call it good.
    $25 Home Depot respirator if you're gonna sleep better.

Roofers in your gear no fucking way.

Have they been paid by insurance yet ? Ask the contractor to throw you a few hundred or lots of beer for your time and call it good since there isn't a easy way for insurance to compensate you for your time. As mentioned previously this will be first of many many unforseen issues you'll experience as a home owner. You don't want to be a dick in case they need to come back for any kind of warranty type repair. How much time are we talking here ? If it's only an afternoon stop your bitching and be thankful you got a new roof out of the whole deal.

So if the garage roof was so bad that all the dirt and dust got down in the garage, did they at least put new plywood or OSB board on before the felt and shingles? Just went through last year a replacement of a 40 year old shingle roof. Plenty of mess out around the house (still find a piece or an old nail from time to time), but nothing in the garage like you are talking about that I know of (crawl space above the garage)...

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    in case you were wondering each shingle gets nailed under the previous shingle so even if they blow through you would not see daylight
    if your still confused read the packages for instalation instructions
    It's bundles of shingles, not packages😀

Roof decks that are 1x6 or 1x8 let a lot a shit fall through.
    Lots shit falls through plywood decks also.
    Standard question about what's in the attic or garage space.
    Roofers are mostly degenerates, shit happens.

Insurance has only paid out the first check. Awaiting the 2nd after proof I have done the work. Working with the contractor to get comp'd for my time. If I had a perfectly organized garage with everything in boxes (aka a garage that is just a storage space and not a work space) cleanup would be quick. But as is it'll be 10-12 hours of work as I had ongoing bike builds, random ski/binding bits scattered around, all with small parts scattered about.

I'll be doing the clean out -- don't see another way. Comp amount should cover purchase of a shop vac and maybe a leaf blower to blow the shit out.

Get the variable speed on the leaf blower. Not sure why they make them without.

You can shift the hose to a blower port on shop vacs vs getting a leaf blower. Works great.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR