Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Gloves?

Gloves?

I seem to be blowing through gloves really fast lately. Fingertips especially, but knuckles and palm too. I've tried furious masturbation with coconut oil before every ride but it doesn't seem to help. :big grin:

But seriously, all gloves I see at the shop seem to be weight weenie, paper thin, and I can hear the stitching rip just putting them on. I'm not an XC racer, just good, fun AM riding on a regular basis.

What are some of the gloves that work for others out there? I'd like some knuckle protection, padding, a little ventilation, and leather seems to last longer for me. Not looking to pay $100 a pair either. Does Kinco make a bike glub?

Support a mag, buy Free the Powder. Tough as nails. Not dextrous as fuck like my hestra vertical cuts, but toasty warm on those brutally cold days. There is no padding either. Stop punching people and trees and you won't need that anyways.

Gloves?

FTP bike gloves are holding up well this season. Been through the wash a few times and no issues with the stitching.

At $19 it's worth a test to see if they hold up for you.

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    Support a mag, buy Free the Powder. Tough as nails. Not dextrous as fuck like my hestra vertical cuts, but toasty warm on those brutally cold days. There is no padding either. Stop punching people and trees and you won't need that anyways.
    X2

I guess that I should have specified Bike Gloves as I posted in Sprocket Rockets. Or does FTP make bike gloves?

Haha. Reading fail. It's early, I have time to get it together.

Ftp bike gloves have been holding up well for me there too. I go through fingertips as well. Haven't seen any signs of that on mine yet.

Just ordered some FTP bike gloves. Only $16.99 with free shipping, so can't pass that up. Thanks for the heads up!

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    Haha. Reading fail. It's early, I have time to get it together.

Ftp bike gloves have been holding up well for me there too. I go through fingertips as well. Haven't seen any signs of that on mine yet.
    Double reading fail on my part. I just skimmed your post and assumed you were referring to bike gloves.

I really like my FTP padded bike gloves. I gave up on padded gloves years ago, but decided to try some MXPs for my single speed and commuting. They have been great, perfect fit, quality construction, and they didn't over do it on the padding.

I've been very impressed with HandUp gloves (and no, I don't work with them).

The FTP bike gloves are nice.

The Husky work gloves aren't very warm, but they are the toughest bike gloves I've ever had. I bought a five pack at Home Depot for $35.00 last year, around black Friday.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/1226983...=ps&dispItem=1

Bike gloves don't last that long if they are thinking enough for good feel, I got some of the mechanic work gloves I am liking

Also use aqua seal to double the life of any glove
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Maybe this shouldn't be surprising, but I've found a pretty strong correlation between how much a glove costs and how long it lasts. Some of the nicer gloves from Troy Lee and POC have lasted quiet a while for me (multiple seasons). Cheaper stuff from Dakine, Fox, Raceface, Specialized, etc. have all blown out pretty quickly. Of course, particularly if you're crashing a lot, it might ultimately be cheaper to just buy a bunch of cheap gloves and consider them disposable.

I've been using oakley factory pilot for years. They fit well, no velcro on the cuff, and palm is one piece leather with no seams or stitching. I've been getting at least a couple years out of each pair. I can usually get them for $15-25/pr. Last two trips to Moab Chili pepper had them on sale... so I stocked up.

The FTP MX glove looks similar. Great price too, though I don't want the velcro.

I ride with leather Watson's. About $10/pair & they last a couple years or more. They were real nice when I went OTB and landed in a rock pile, a small hole in my hand in the meat of my thumb and a corresponding bigger hole in the glove.
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

http://www.mechanix.com/m-pact-impact-gloves

there are a whole whack of these in different styles and colors with lots of leather in the palm and kuckle protecters

rockymountainatv.com

huge selection of styles, brands and pricing.
    Squeezin' a little more every other day

What XXX-er says. Go to your local farm store (or if you don't have one, Home Depot), check out mechanic's gloves with leather palms, knit back and knuckle padding

I've always had really good luck with specialized's gloves, just one of the things they do well if you ask me. Stay away from Giro's, Ive never had gloves disintegrate like theirs.

Mechanics gloves are like wool sweaters for your hands. I need as close to gloveless as I can reasonably get.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

the better mechanix gloves I would categorize as a slightly more beefy mtn bike glove just enough so IME they don't wear out as fast and they got the knuckle protection

nekid hands DO give the best feel until you knuckle dust a tree or go down ... then they don't feel so good

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Mechanics gloves are like wool sweaters for your hands.
    Nah, not the right ones. There are lots of different styles and fits of mechanics gloves. I've used them for years for XC skiing, spring/summer ski touring, mountaineering and (more recently) cool weather road bicycling. I've seen gloves marketed as MTB gloves that appear to be private labeled mechanics gloves, but 3 times more expensive.

ETA: Not directly relevant because it appears that OP wants fingered gloves: Grease Monkey fingerless gloves $10 at Home Depot are my go to warm weather mountain gloves

I used Street bike gloves when I rode alot of DH. Thicker leather. I think alpinestar...

I've accepted buying new gloves every year and use the cheaper giros. Had a couple of pairs of the DND, then started buying the rivet 2. Both pretty similar, light, no padding, and fit my hands perfectly. Rivets are thinner and breath better. I think msrp is 25-30.

https://zeitbike.com/products/gloves...ther-3383.html

Kangaroo leather, grippy palms and fingertips, very little padding just a bit at the bottom fleshy part of the hand, touchscreen friendly and snot rags on both hands. They hold up well enough, bar feel is really really good, no back of finger padding, they get grippier when wet and the price is pretty solid for real leather. The only thing is they fit at least one size small so if your hand is wide or you have burly thumbs go up two sizes.

I was under the impression that gloves are just like hydration packs: regardless of how much sense they make to use on a mtb ride, they are just flat-out uncool.

Speaking of which, does anyone have any recs for a nice hydration pack?