Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Gloves?

I knew I should have ordered a fresh pair of FTP gloves, but now they are out of stock in XL.

Looking through hardware stores, it appears most gloves are at least $15-20, so I might as well get bike specific gloves at that price. Heck, even trendy HandUp gloves can be found for $20 on their website.

Anyone have recommendations for light/mid full fingered gloves on the cheap?

I picked up a 3 pack of these from Home Depot. $14.99Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1589379116.961567.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	232.6 KB 
ID:	328356

Love em. Sturdy, some protection and hold up fine in the wash. New go-to.

Rob
    That Don't Make No Sense

Any new recommendations? I’ve been using the Dakine Cross X for a few years but the velcro on the last pair wore out very quickly.

I just picked up a pair of Tacso cool weather gloves for the fall. Bomber construction, warm and breathable. So far so good.

https://www.tasco-mtb.com/products/d...tb-gloves-2020

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    Nah, it's road riding where gloves are becoming sort of un-cool. Don't really like riding on dirt without them.
    my buddy the world level retired road coach tells me the atheletes don't wear gloves, mayb they get used to that racing in yurp when its so hot ?
    Last edited by XXX-er; 09-20-2020 at 12:25 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I like the Fox attack I think they are, lite, good dexterity and I’ve had good luck with the quality.

New mechanix on top, its a model I like for a good mix of protection & dexterity ( IMO ) it comes on big sale at Canuck tire ever so often so I got this backup pair

same glove on the bottom is just broken in after several years, has 6 apps of AQS for wear on the fingertips/worn edge of index finger/ wear on the palm patches/ big rip on thumb.

Its still usable cuz I fixed the wear before it got too bad but its probably time to start using the new pair

Name:  newestglove.jpg
Views: 1306
Size:  95.7 KB

I always put some snow seal on the leather so you can see its been darkened
    Last edited by XXX-er; 09-20-2020 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    my buddy the world level retired road coach tells me the atheletes don't wear gloves, mayb they get used to that racing in yurp when its so hot ?
    I mean I do actually notice a difference between no gloves and a thicker winter one out on a cx course. You lose a lot of feeling and feedback from what the bike/tires are doing. Apparently some gloves can provide an aerodynamic benefit, and a place to put more logos. And if you crash it's generally nice to be wearing them.

if I am wearing gloves I like a light one with no padding. Previously had some 100% ride fits that i got for like $16 and they held up for over 2 years. Before I was killing giro dnd and rivet 2s in less than a season. Have some PI divides right now which are nice and light.

For colder conditions I've had some PI softshells that refuse to die but I don't like the padding in the palms. Way too bulky and actually less comfortable. The pro softshell lite gloves were good at first but I wore a hole in them in a few months. PI sent me the new version and I lost them. Will probably get another pair, they were perfect for that 40-50 degree temp range. Just a plain unpadded palm and some light insulation and a wind/water resistant layer on the back. I have some black diamond non cycling gloves that are kind of similar but not as good.

Also have some poc thermal gloves on the way. They look nice, but that price tag seems a little high and I didn't/wouldn't pay that much.

https://www.pocsports.com/us/product...gloves#start=1

she would have been coaching world/world junior so the high level athletes, i was kind of suprised cuz I figured they would wear gloves especially since they get all the gear for free

what I like another rider might find too thick so Its definaltley a case of YMMV , I've fallen off enough on dirtbikes and mtn bikes so I feel naked without a glove to protect my hands,

I also wear knee & elbow padz for the big enduro type descent locally

what is not subjective is that thin gloves wear out faster than thick gloves
    Last edited by XXX-er; 09-20-2020 at 01:41 PM.

I'd skip gloves if I wasn't afraid of fucking up my hands in crashes, and if I didn't sweat so much. I've shredded palms of gloves before, so can't even imagine what my hands would have looked like without. That said, I like very thin, very snug pull-on style gloves, with a silicon strip (not dots, those wear off) on the trigger finger tip and thumb.

I currently have the following in rotation, these are listed in order of favorites:
    1) Fox Flexair. great fit, tick all the boxes. Only gripe is the giant logo on the back started coming off so I compulsively scratched it all off while watching Netflix one night. Lasted about 2 years so far.
    2) 100% Ridecamp. Really similar to the Flexair in terms of fit. Slightly less preferred because the wrist doesn't feel as nice, and the fabric on the back of the hand is not quite as comfortable. Holding up really well though.
    3) 100% iTrack. Fit SUPER tight, missing the silicon grippers, but so tight they still work pretty well. The rubber blocks at the wrist pull came off quickly. Good durability, don't give me blisters digging either. Lasted about 2 years so far.
    4) Giro DND. Fit loose and feel thick. Lots of excess fabric on the inside at the seams. Very warm also. Have stupid foam padding on the heel of the hand. But really easy to get on and off, so I grab them if I know I'm going to be taking my gloves off often (like tuning suspension). They work nicely for digging too.
    5) TLD Ace. They initially fit well but the mesh on the back is so stretchy and breathable that they slide around on my hands when descending and feel vague. Missing grippers on the finger tips. I only wear these when it's super hot, like 85+. Not durable at all either, I've wrecked a previous pair on the first crash.

I have cheap thin royals that have held up to about 1k off road miles of my corrosive sweat. I personally hate any form of padding my glove and rarely go gloveless as my sweat is slippery and the gloves feels fine with worn in ergons even on 90 degree humid days.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    I'd skip gloves if I wasn't afraid of fucking up my hands in crashes, and if I didn't sweat so much. .
    Uh, well... yeah. That's kinda like saying "I'd skip condoms if I wasn't afraid of STD's or impregnating a woman"

Quote Originally Posted by JaytaeMoney View Post
    Uh, well... yeah. That's kinda like saying "I'd skip condoms if I wasn't afraid of STD's or impregnating a woman"
    But the temptation remains...

The FTP MTB gloves are great.

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Been enjoying the TLD air gloves. Durability is TBD.

Another vote for FTP gloves. Even if you miss their sale prices, the value is undeniable. They last better than any other industry glove I’ve worn.

However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Another vote for FTP gloves. Even if you miss their sale prices, the value is undeniable. They last better than any other industry glove I’ve worn.
    Mine wore out, after substantial use though. I liked them for the most part, but if you even like to wipe snot off your nose with them, it is like using a brillo pad made of razor blades. Otherwise, they are great.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    Any new recommendations? I’ve been using the Dakine Cross X for a few years but the velcro on the last pair wore out very quickly.
    I usually much prefer ones with a velcro strap, but the tasco gloves I got are the best light glove I've had.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    Been enjoying the TLD air gloves. Durability is TBD.
    mine started losing thread immediately, but, despite looking shitty, they are actually not falling apart.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Gloves?

Quote Originally Posted by Cabinfever View Post
    I picked up a 3 pack of these from Home Depot. $14.99Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1589379116.961567.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	232.6 KB 
ID:	328356

Love em. Sturdy, some protection and hold up fine in the wash. New go-to.

Rob
    No love for the Home Depot 3 pk for $15?

Still going strong, seams intact even though they get washed every ride. 700 miles on three pair and not worn through yet.

Not indy or sexy but cheap and functional.
    That Don't Make No Sense

I'm going to check those out today at HD - need to go for some other stuff anyway.

I've been using some Harbor Freight "Hardy" branded work gloves for cool riding temps - they've been OK. Not insulated, not vented, just a bit thicker material works for mtb rides in the 40s.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I just roll with home depot gloves, but haven't found ones I like there that are less than $12/pr. Oh the humanity!
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Still going strong, seams intact even though they get washed every ride. 700 miles on three pair and not worn through yet.

Not indy or sexy but cheap and functional.
    Naw. I go with Kinco's for colder riding. Usually the 2041's. May give the 2019 and 2021's a try.

And fuck HD.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Naw. I go with Kinco's for colder riding. Usually the 2041's. May give the 2019 and 2021's a try.

And fuck HD.
    I respect that sentiment....
    That Don't Make No Sense

I like a gauntlet cuff on my cold weather glove. Makes a huge difference. Been able to find good options at Cycle Gear, but usually spend about $30/or for full leather.

However many are in a shit ton.