Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Gloves?

Quote Originally Posted by One (+) Sentence View Post
    I was under the impression that gloves are just like hydration packs: regardless of how much sense they make to use on a mtb ride, they are just flat-out uncool.

Speaking of which, does anyone have any recs for a nice hydration pack?
    Depends how much you want to carry, but I like the wingnut style (that camelback and now Thule also make). Sits low on the back, runs cooler, and doesn't smack you in the back of the head on steep stuff.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I was under the impression that gloves are just like hydration packs: regardless of how much sense they make to use on a mtb ride, they are just flat-out uncool.

Speaking of which, does anyone have any recs for a nice hydration pack?
    Uncool? Wrong. First time you go down you'll appreciate having them on. When you inadvertently punch or scrape a tree you'll appreciate having them on. When that broken branch tries to stab under your fingernail you'll appreciate having them on. Then again I'm old, fat and uncool so my opinions are meaningless

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Uncool? Wrong. First time you go down you'll appreciate having them on. When you inadvertently punch or scrape a tree you'll appreciate having them on. When that broken branch tries to stab under your fingernail you'll appreciate having them on. Then again I'm old, fat and uncool so my opinions are meaningless
    This is mountain biking. Image is everything...

Besides, I only ride machine built flow trails that are at least 8' wide. 😉

This is mountain biking. Image is everything...

Besides, I only ride machine built flow trails that are at least 8' wide. 😉
    I believe we have the word JONG because of our desire to describe that image.

In the interest of thread drift, if I'm riding along on an 8' wide machine built flow trail and it bypasses a perfectly good rock, is it ok to assume the machine just needed to get by and it's therefore cool to reroute over said rock?

Nah, it's road riding where gloves are becoming sort of un-cool. Don't really like riding on dirt without them.

When I used Fox gloves, they always blew apart at the fingertips well before any real wear occurred or seams popped anywhere else.

I've used mostly TLD gloves the past decade, no premature blowouts ever. I tried the FTP gloves last fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    FTP bike gloves are holding up well this season. Been through the wash a few times and no issues with the stitching.

At $19 it's worth a test to see if they hold up for you.
    Yep. But like the snow gloves, freaky-long thumbs.

On gloves generally - maybe I'm imagining it, but it seems my gloves last longer if I wash them every other ride. The lack of funk is an added bonus.

One (+) Sentence, if your hands stay dry enough to ride gloveless, good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post
    Yep.

But like the snow gloves, freaky-long thumbs.
    Perhaps you just have short thumbs

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    Perhaps you just have short thumbs
    I've done all the requisite clamp-and-stretch torture rack routines, they won't get any longer.

But seriously: I've never had a glove with too-long thumbs for ski or MTB or golf.

Until FTP.

Still love the gloves they make, though.

They are long for me too.

you fucking dentists have so much money why do you complain about buying new gloves?

Me, I am just a lowly pensioner so i fix mine with aqua seal and here is some pict in case you ain't so flush

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	glove fix.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	973.2 KB 
ID:	212680

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	seat fix.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	972.2 KB 
ID:	212681

The AQS on leather is just a Black Diamond ski glove where the leather had cracked and a seam was blowing out, I put some AQS on the spot and the shinny stuff is a layer of saran wrap to keep the AQS in place while it cures, usually the saran wears off in use

The AQS on a Yeti naugahyde seat cover is just dabbed on and covered with electrical tape till almost cured at 6-8 hrs and then pushed around with my finger,

AQS is good stuff, these kind of repairs will often last until the product is worn out, once open I keep the tube in the freezer inside a sealed jar , to use it I just quick thaw it in a cup of boiling water
    Last edited by XXX-er; 09-24-2017 at 06:36 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by DIYSteve View Post
    What XXX-er says. Go to your local farm store (or if you don't have one, Home Depot), check out mechanic's gloves with leather palms, knit back and knuckle padding
    Yep, $10 gloves at home depot, they work great and they last a long time.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Anyone know of a glove that's fairly minimalist other than some protection on the middle knuckles on the 4th/5th fingers? I see plenty of gloves with protection on the base knuckles, but my issues are always with catching a tree/branch on the middle knuckles of the outside fingers.

xxx-er, I'm surprised you don't just paint shoe goo on your hands instead of buying $2.99 gloves at Canadian Tire.

Don't have to be a dentist to get TLD gloves at $15-20. Just have to buy the NOS ones from 2+ seasons ago, left over. Thank you internet. I doubt I've paid $20+ for any pair of gloves in 15+ years.

Biggest part of decent gloves for me is thin everywhere, no wrinkles, snug. Most hardware/auto parts general gloves or thin utility gloves at $5-10/pr are prone to bunching where they shouldn't. Mechanix are indeed cheap by comparison to "MTB specific" gloves, but all of them have too much material where I don't want it. 2x palms, pads on fingers... useless.

radam, I smashed my R pinky 1x and had it snagged & hyperextended 1x in the past 10 days. I've smashed pinkies & ring fingers with both thin un-padded gloves & mini-padded gloves -- no real difference as to whether the finger/hand is pissed off, or to what extent, after being smashed.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    AQS is good stuff, these kind of repairs will often last until the product is worn out, once open I keep the tube in the freezer inside a sealed jar , to use it I just quick thaw it in a cup of boiling water
    Now that is the kind of hot tip that I come here for.... I aquaseal or Freesole my new sticky rubber shoe seams as soon as I get them, but then the tube turns hard and unusable. $$$$

Kinco. Always the answer for gloves. Went to some Elk hide instead of the pig skin Kinco uses and they were supper soft, but didn't hold up as well and got too wet from my sweat.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    Kinco. Always the answer for gloves. Went to some Elk hide instead of the pig skin Kinco uses and they were supper soft, but didn't hold up as well and got too wet from my sweat.
    I ride in these, because braking's for pussies.

Most hardware/auto parts general gloves or thin utility gloves at $5-10/pr are prone to bunching where they shouldn't.
    That's buyer's error. I've been using $10-$15 mechanic's gloves for mountaineering, XC skiing and ski touring for 15 years. None of them bunched up. All fit as well or better than $80 fancy XC ski racing gloves and $50 OR gloves I got suckered into buying before I figured out how much the price of gloves marketed as sports-specific is tacked on to cover marketing costs and/or extra profit. I call it the "poser penalty." I wouldn't be surprised if gloves marketed as MTB gloves are made in the same factory and/or with the same patterns as better mechanic's gloves.

Ever since I switched to ESI foam grips, I've stopped using gloves. They seem to absorb sweat very well. Super nice to ride gloveless, One less thing to find before a ride! One less thing to maintain and replace too.

And yes, I don't crash.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

That's buyer's error. I've been using $10-$15 mechanic's gloves for mountaineering, XC skiing and ski touring for 15 years. None of them bunched up. All fit as well or better than $80 fancy XC ski racing gloves and $50 OR gloves I got suckered into buying before I figured out how much the price of gloves marketed as sports-specific is tacked on to cover marketing costs and/or extra profit. I call it the "poser penalty." I wouldn't be surprised if gloves marketed as MTB gloves are made in the same factory and/or with the same patterns as better mechanic's gloves.
    Yup. Honestly, the ones I got from Home Depot look exactly like the 661 gloves I used to use, except they cost half as much. Same design, same materials, same double layers in the same places, etc.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I don't crash often, but when I do, I have scraped knuckles down to bone and that sucks. Riding without gloves isn't an option, especially DH.

That's buyer's error.
    Such a wonderfully passive-aggressive tactical approach, and chock full of dishonesty too!

2 layer palms, unnecessary padding, and feeling like I'm wearing winter gloves not riding gloves, that's what I get from Mechanix Wear or other $10 hware store gloves.

What works for a fat & tall dude like you isn't really what works for others, but please -- carry on!

carry on!
    To quote a punk ass punk (you): "Such a wonderfully passive-aggressive tactical approach!"

Quote Originally Posted by homemadesalsa View Post
    Now that is the kind of hot tip that I come here for.... I aquaseal or Freesole my new sticky rubber shoe seams as soon as I get them, but then the tube turns hard and unusable. $$$$
    It ain't rocket biology cuz if you read the instructions it would have told you to put it in the freezer but heres another hot tip, put the tube in a sealed jar so all the food in yer freezer doesn't end up tasting like tolulene

I fix dry suits for a local rescue 3 provider, they buy AQS in BIG tubes the size of an extra large tooth paste tube and the formula 303 comes in a 5 gallon pail
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I don't mind experimenting and a bit of trial & error with summer weight gloves. Get them on sale, hope they're a good fit, buy more if so.
    Gloves for wet & cold though; so much crap out there and too much money for lots of trial & error. Currently using un padded un insulated black leather gloves I got at the moto store. Would love a rec for something warmer and drier.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Damn! That's a good deal from FTP. Sounds like what you might be after. My ski gloves from them have been bomber.
    For bike gloves I like light and fitted so they don't bunch up in the palm. A lot of cheaply gloves fit like shit and bunch up. Good time to buy gloves now. Lots of 50% off at Jensen and chain reaction and others. Buy 2 and have a back up. I'd look to Troy lee designs/fox/royal. They fit the best and generally well built. I usually error on the smaller side for good fit. I assure you there's no problem there.........