Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by deepsouthmafia View Post
    I assure you, cost is not an issue.
    Are you wealthy?

Quote Originally Posted by RockinB View Post
    I had a roommate on the Nordic team in college who had a pair. After a few too many beers, I thought it would be fun to take them for a spin. I didn't make it a half a block before the asphalt put the cheese grater to my leg and arm. Would not recommend!
    It's one of those things where it looks like a dorky sport and, on trying it, you realize the dorks doing it regularly are pretty tough and/or have a high capacity to forget bad experiences. Fantastic alpine ski prep even though very little movement carryover.

Helpful hint - if you go bc with xc crowd - let them set the track and expect not to keep up.

Quote Originally Posted by LHutz Esq View Post
    Helpful hint - if you go bc with xc crowd - let them set the track and expect not to keep up.
    Ha, usually true, although sometimes the Nords enjoy a social pace

Quote Originally Posted by DIYSteve View Post
    Believe me!
    Ask Sean Hannity, he'll tell you!

Roller skis are the reason professional Nordic skiers are as good as they are. "Skiers are made in the summer." I have a pair (Marwe 590s) and use them a ton for summer training. If you actually do get a pair, make sure you get pole ferrules so the pavement doesn't bust the winter pole tips.

There is nothing less than full send in roller skiing.
    "No dear, if you'll look again, you'll notice that the pirates have our boat." - Captain Ron

Quote Originally Posted by TheSilverSurfer View Post
    Are you wealthy?
    None of your business.

Yes.

This is a thing, huh? I saw someone cruising around on what looked like a long ski-esque roller blade type contraption. My first thought was, this person looked REALLY dorky. Total gaper.
    But then I wondered, could this actually be good off season training.
    Now- and don't laugh at me- I'm seriously considering getting a pair. So I'm wondering if anyone has any experience or reccomendations.
    the people who roller ski are usually at least fairly serious xc skiers if not racers , if you were an xc skier you wouldn't have to ask, frankly I find your question ... laughable
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

"Laughable?" Really??!! I should of known someone was going to be a douchebag in here. I am NOT in the mood today.

To answer your question - yah they could be good off season training. For bc they make a classic version - has a ratchet type mech so a lot like skinning. They are also crazy unstable so will assist with stabilizer muscles. They are also crazy dangerous - so you may get the same training just mtb or mountain running with poles - but you get to keep your skin. So unless you were planning on a lot of xc this winter - I would stick to the tried and true.

I seem to remember an advertisement for some kind of ski mechanism that ran on small underfoot rotary treads. Kind of a D0.001 cat tracks for each foot. They seemed to handle running down open slopes much like skis. It also looked like a great way to kill vegetation and erode open slopes where ever they were used. So did that bad idea just take it's "Darwin" and go away?

"Laughable?" Really??!! I should of known someone was going to be a douchebag in here. I am NOT in the mood today.
    Name:  S07E22_07.png
Views: 404
Size:  255.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by snojones View Post
    I seem to remember an advertisement for some kind of ski mechanism that ran on small underfoot rotary treads. Kind of a D0.001 cat tracks for each foot. They seemed to handle running down open slopes much like skis. It also looked like a great way to kill vegetation and erode open slopes where ever they were used. So did that bad idea just take it's "Darwin" and go away?
    Grass skis

I believe this is what you're looking for:
    https://youtu.be/cUOnXXh1ECw

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

well I did not laugh at you, i merely pointed out it was laughable to bring a post asking about xc skiing to TGR general ski and boarding discussion

it would be kinda like if i said you acted like a fucking Jong as opposed to calling you a fucking Jong

but in any case you shoudl try asking the very same question in the very same manner ... at an XC ski web site

I hear that. Sorry for being defensive. But I feel like "general ski/ snowboard" covers a lot of ground.
    As far as other boards, are there really xc specific boards??
    I like it here, you "mags" are funny.
    I used to post on the Barking Bears forums, but my account got deleted somehow.

I dunno there might be but my google is broken eh ?

I hear that. Sorry for being defensive. But I feel like "general ski/ snowboard" covers a lot of ground.
    As far as other boards, are there really xc specific boards??
    I like it here, you "mags" are funny.
    I used to post on the Barking Bears forums, but my account got deleted somehow.
    I heard they will reinstate your account if you dump a full soda on your laptop keyboard.

None of your business.

Yes.
    Nobody gives a fuck. And don't use all of the fucking space on a page. Oh wait, you're rich. Do whatever the fuck you want and be an asshole, troll.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    Nobody gives a fuck. And don't use all of the fucking space on a page. Oh wait, you're rich. Do whatever the fuck you want and be an asshole, troll.
    Waaahhhhhhh. You sound like a millenial. What, is "page space" some precious, limited commodity now?

Serious answers only, please. Stop mucking up my thread.

How can one give a serious answer to a stupid question by someone too lazy to google . And we don't muck threads up, we cunt them up. Jong. You smell funny.

1. Its called having a discussion. Yes, I could of googled. Thats not the point.
    2. People still say "jong?" What year is it?

Asshole an old word too. You came into this house as an uninvited Jong. Have you contributed? Have you helped another mag? Maybe, I can't keep track of all the trolls. Jongs should give before they receive. Now you are cunting up your own thread. Take a lap. And buy 3 pairs of rollerskis for the different conditions. Have a quiver. You're welcome.

The question as to whether they are good off season training is fair enough. And, yes. Along with trail running and Nordic running. They are even a lot of fun. Pavement realities vary, wheel options should be selected accordingly.

So what athletic endeavor is bad for off season training? Jong.