Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    With the current generation VW Group AWD systems theres a flaw with the prop shaft damper. My fiancée's Skoda (same car) had a failed damper at 35k miles. VW will try and charge you for the whole shaft but you can replace the damper on its own.
    I Came, I Saw, I .... Made A Slight Effort & Then Went Home For Lunch.

Who's driving a VW AllTrack?

Hmmmm my wife’s high school car, a 2000 Civic EX isn’t going to live forever. The Alltrack seems like a viable option.

Got one last July. I like it, but more importantly, my wife loves it. Took on the worst winter roads this year like a champ ( she drives the “highway through hell “ - Discovery or TLC show ... can’t remember regularly.... as in 2-3 times a week). Ran full winter tires and made every trip while rigs and SUV’s were hitting the ditch. Decent space, rides well and looks sharp. She got black and tinted the windows. Added a Yakima 18 Box and we are good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Dad, I can huck that"

Quote Originally Posted by wolfelot View Post
    Hmmmm my wife’s high school car, a 2000 Civic EX isn’t going to live forever. The Alltrack seems like a viable option.
    A 2000 Civic EX might technically be capable of lasting forever, unless rust eats it alive.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfelot View Post
    Haha, the 1996 civic we replaced with our Alltrack with was also my wife's HS car. It probably had another 100k of life, but it was time for a little more "car" in the mountains.

As winter fades into spring: the Alltrack has been money in the snow. My wife commutes 60mi r/t in it on HWY82 in all conditions. It's been a champ with the Blizzaks + 6sp. Now it's time to install the 2" bolt-on hitch and get the carbon ponies out to Utah!

Any additional reviews good or bad? Not in any hurry to buy a car, but looked at prices due to circumstances and curiosity, and there are brand new alltracks going for $20k flat and gently used ones going for less. Are sales and reputation lagging so much that it might be time to take advantage of dieselgate? Are there problems with the model? Or is there another story?

Quote Originally Posted by dump View Post
    Any additional reviews good or bad? Not in any hurry to buy a car, but looked at prices due to circumstances and curiosity, and there are brand new alltracks going for $20k flat and gently used ones going for less. Are sales and reputation lagging so much that it might be time to take advantage of dieselgate? Are there problems with the model? Or is there another story?
    I don't have first hand experience with the alltrack, but I think you are right that it is a good time to take advantage of dieselgate.

I love mine, it's the perfect Sport WagEn. You'll be hard pressed to find a better equipped base, or a better warranty.

The 6 speed was not available when I purchased mine last year, so I've not tried that set up. The DSG auto setup does not disappoint though, and provides more versatility.

Reliability wise, I average almost 1000 miles a week; no issues, at 37k.

Sent from my XT1254 using Electromagnetic Waves and pigeons~

I remember reading that All Track sales were less than anticipated. The release of the 2018s Golfs were even delayed so VW could move leftover stock. They then ran some pretty big discounts on the 17s.

2018s come with a way better warranty but if you can score a seal on a 17 go for it. I love my Golf Wagon.

If you don't need the ground clearance look at getting a 4motion Golf Wagon. In base trim they're a lot cheaper.

Yes, that was my exact situation; no AWD sport wagons, and no discounts on 2018s.

Noob here. Is the 4motion golf wagon the same as golf alltrack?

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Noob here. Is the 4motion golf wagon the same as golf alltrack?
    AllTrack is higher up. 4motion Sportwagen is like a Legacy, while the Alltrack is akin to an Outback, if you know Subaru's.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlboyell View Post
    Climate change deniers should be in the same boat as the flat earthers, ridiculed for stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyg82 View Post
    AllTrack is higher up. 4motion Sportwagen is like a Legacy, while the Alltrack is akin to an Outback, if you know Subaru's.
    Each has substantially less ground clearance than the comparable Subaru. It's worth keeping in mind if you are concerned about such things.

Yeah. The Allltrack had 1.4in more clearance from a combination of taller tires and raised suspension.

Picked one up in April after 13 years of A4 Avants, and like it a lot so far. Punches above its weight class in fit, finish and looks IMO.

My local dealership had a bunch of 6MT cars in every color, plus a $5K incentive if you used VW financing, hard to say no @ $22.4K - plus there isn't any other small AWD wagon with a 6 speed available in the US to my knowledge. I got the "S" version as I didn't want the avoidance or power stuff and I haven't opened the moon roof on any of my past few cars, drivetrain and wheels are identical. Instrumentation/controls are a nice blend of analog and digital, S comes with heated seats and a decent stereo.

Pretty sharp handling and decent performance straight off the lot, I did a Stage 1 APR upgrade on it for $599 and it's now about 25% faster. I don't think the bigger turbo is necessary for my driving.

It's about 2.5 inches taller with more wheel well clearance than the last Audi, meaning a few less early exits from the ski area when it's dumping and there's 4-5 inches in the lot . . .

I was part of the diesel emissions recall. Loved the TDI so much we bought a Golf Sportwagen (gasoline version) which we also love. We get almost as good of mileage with that as the TDI. We eyed the Alltrack pretty hard but couldn't justify the additional cost since we have a 4wd truck. I would take it over a Subaru just based on personal experience with the VW. Great cars as far as I am concerned, but have yet to get high mileage on one (mid 40s on the TDI, 10K on the TSI) with no real issues other than an O2 sensor on the TDI that went out right after they did the pseudo software fix pre-scandal.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Pretty sharp handling and decent performance straight off the lot, I did a Stage 1 APR upgrade on it for $599 and it's now about 25% faster.
    Thanks for the responses. This sounds like a nice upgrade, but would be concerned about somehow voiding the warranty. But I also don't know much about tuning.

The hidden back up camera is "the shit" in winter weather. After 35k, and 1 long, nasty winter, it's still crystal clear; haven't cleaned it yet.

We have a current Forester and a Honda pilot in our family, everyone wants to drive the alltrack. The Forester is the most uncomfortable vehicle ever produced, and it rides like fucking shopping cart.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    A 2000 Civic EX might technically be capable of lasting forever, unless rust eats it alive.
    My dad just retired his 2006 civic with almost 400,000 miles on it!

Quote Originally Posted by tango uniform View Post
    We have a current Forester and a Honda pilot in our family, everyone wants to drive the alltrack. The Forester is the most uncomfortable vehicle ever produced, and it rides like fucking shopping cart.

This was/is my experience coming from Subaru to German. Folks need to go drive one. You really have to give no fucks about any driving dynamics at all to pick a Subaru over a VW in any comparison test.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Thanks for the responses. This sounds like a nice upgrade, but would be concerned about somehow voiding the warranty. But I also don't know much about tuning.
    Technically VW could invoke that excuse if there was a drivetrain issue that the increased HP and torque could have caused, but a friend who works at the dealership assured me they'd interpret that liberally. In any case, I didn't want to wait out the 6 year/72k mile warranty because I want to have fun driving it now.

At any rate, I've been assured the Euro-spec gas version puts out similar numbers with the same drivetrain, and I've not had any issues with Audis running Stage 1 APR upgrades.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Technically VW could invoke that excuse if there was a drivetrain issue that the increased HP and torque could have caused, but a friend who works at the dealership assured me they'd interpret that liberally. In any case, I didn't want to wait out the 6 year/72k mile warranty because I want to have fun driving it now.

At any rate, I've been assured the Euro-spec gas version puts out similar numbers with the same drivetrain, and I've not had any issues with Audis running Stage 1 APR upgrades.
    Stage one is really just a tune to get it running like it should and map fuel air mix more balanced. It’s not any mod to anything other than map and would be hard to argue it causes an issue.

Will be test driving one soon to see if all the hype is true.
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Almost $30k for a not-full-time-awd Golf. But hey, it handles better slightly better.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

FWIW, APR provides a warranty for tuned vehicles if you want to mitigate some risk. https://www.goaprplus.com/

The hidden back up camera is "the shit" in winter weather. After 35k, and 1 long, nasty winter, it's still crystal clear; haven't cleaned it yet.
    This. It's one of those things that once you've had it you can't go back.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Almost $30k for a not-full-time-awd Golf. But hey, it handles better slightly better.
    I'd argue more than "slightly".

And yeah, the Alltrack is pricey, but the regular 4-motion Golf wagon is pretty reasonably priced. Most drivers won't give a shit that it's not full time AWD.