Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    Alltrack GTI has always been my dream, but I guess we just settle for APR Plus.
    For a couple years I had a MK7 GTI and my wife had an Alltrack. I secretly dreamed of combing the two into the ultimate wagon. GTI powertrain, plaid seats, steering wheel and front bumper all bolted into an Alltrack. I wonder if some maniac somewhere has already done this.

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    For a couple years I had a MK7 GTI and my wife had an Alltrack. I secretly dreamed of combing the two into the ultimate wagon. GTI powertrain, plaid seats, steering wheel and front bumper all bolted into an Alltrack. I wonder if some maniac somewhere has already done this.
    I've seen a few on the VW forums, but this one takes it: 500whp, 438 lbs/ft: http://www.superstreetonline.com/fea...er-gti-swapped

Poor man's S4/RS4.

Fuck.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3745.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	916.9 KB 
ID:	367789

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    Fuck.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3745.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	916.9 KB 
ID:	367789
    Bro, I don't think that's gonna rub out . . .

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Bro, I don't think that's gonna rub out . . .
    No kidding. The cars only got 8k on it so I hope they repair with OEM parts.

Anyone have thoughts on replacement shocks/ struts? Interweb has me going in circles and I am nowhere near a shop. I want to keep stock height.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Dad, I can huck that"

I've heard good things about FCP Euro, but never compared pricing:

Volkswagen Shock and Struts Parts | FCP Euro
    Quote Originally Posted by jlboyell View Post
    Climate change deniers should be in the same boat as the flat earthers, ridiculed for stupidity.

No kidding. The cars only got 8k on it so I hope they repair with OEM parts.
    I think generally you need a rider on your ins to mandate OEM.

Quote Originally Posted by PhishingME View Post
    I hit a deer with my old Jetta and per insurance the body shop tried to use after market grill, headlamp assembly, etc. Apparently after fucking around trying to make it all fit for two days they ended up ordering OEM and got it done.

Quote Originally Posted by PhishingME View Post
    Yeah adjuster told me as much but said that she was unlikely to find aftermarket for a 2019 German car and that I would see exactly which parts were going to be ordered aftermarket and work with the shop if I want OEM. I bet the radiator will be aftermarket but I don’t care much about that stuff as much as I care about the headlights, grill, etc.

. . . a 2019 German car . . .
    It's a Mexican car . . .

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyg82 View Post
    I've heard good things about FCP Euro, but never compared pricing:

Volkswagen Shock and Struts Parts | FCP Euro
    FCP is ok but but they also sell junk. You need to know your brands. If you are good at finding the VAG part # rockauto has the best pricing. I get my part numbers in ETKA and paste them in rockauto.com. A full lemforder control arm kit is close to $300 cheaper from rockauto.

Shocks and stock ride height? I had Koni. Decent but one blew in less than 100k km. They replaced all four. I would love to go with some rebuildable coilovers but they all drop the ride height for the B7.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Have a new set of Rokblokz short mud flaps sitting in my closet that I won't be using. Will let go cheap if anyone is interested. PM me.

Bump.

My shitbox 2002 Civic EX commuter (also my wife's college car) is finally too dented and ugly for me. So looking at an Alltrack as a catch-and-release (maybe 24-36 months of ownership) bridge from the Civic to a nice new AWD EV with tax credit when the spousal unit goes back to work FT and we have more spending money. (That car is likely to be something like a Kia EV6, which looks rad.) Normally we're buy and drive into the ground people, but making an exception here. Other vehicle is a 2013 4Runner that we bought new and has 115k on the clock.

We've been looking at various Subarus, used Eurowagons, and CX-5s. Used, higher mileage is the bill because I've been working from home the vast majority of the time and probably 50% telework looks permanent. Acknowledging that it's a shitty time to buy a car, new or used, used Subaru pricing right now is honestly kind of stupid. Maybe because new ones just don't exist with supply chain issues--but higher-mileage Crosstreks with shitty seats are going for ~$22k. CX-5s are similarly expensive. Seems like people finally caught on after C&D hyped them for the last eight years.

I think I've sold my wife on an Alltrack (she's kinda meh on the cladding, but whatever). Want DSG because she doesn't drive stick. Not set on S versus SE (or SEL). There's a low mileage (23k) SE with the active safety gizmos about two hours away going for the same price as I'm seeing used Ss going for. Clean Carfax. And it appears to have a 2" receiver installed, sweet. Only issue is the car will live outside and, despite being in California, I'm concerned about that sunroof leak issue. It looks from posts here and elsewhere that there is a permanent fix for it? Or is it more like, they fix it and it recurs a year or whatever later? Don't car a ton about the sunroof. Use the one on the 4Runner occasionally, but could live without it. Active safety features would be nice to have. But mostly, that car is the same price as others with more than double the mileage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Bump.

My shitbox 2002 Civic EX commuter (also my wife's college car) is finally too dented and ugly for me. So looking at an Alltrack as a catch-and-release (maybe 24-36 months of ownership) bridge from the Civic to a nice new AWD EV with tax credit when the spousal unit goes back to work FT and we have more spending money. (That car is likely to be something like a Kia EV6, which looks rad.) Normally we're buy and drive into the ground people, but making an exception here. Other vehicle is a 2013 4Runner that we bought new and has 115k on the clock.

We've been looking at various Subarus, used Eurowagons, and CX-5s. Used, higher mileage is the bill because I've been working from home the vast majority of the time and probably 50% telework looks permanent. Acknowledging that it's a shitty time to buy a car, new or used, used Subaru pricing right now is honestly kind of stupid. Maybe because new ones just don't exist with supply chain issues--but higher-mileage Crosstreks with shitty seats are going for ~$22k. CX-5s are similarly expensive. Seems like people finally caught on after C&D hyped them for the last eight years.

I think I've sold my wife on an Alltrack (she's kinda meh on the cladding, but whatever). Want DSG because she doesn't drive stick. Not set on S versus SE (or SEL). There's a low mileage (23k) SE with the active safety gizmos about two hours away going for the same price as I'm seeing used Ss going for. Clean Carfax. And it appears to have a 2" receiver installed, sweet. Only issue is the car will live outside and, despite being in California, I'm concerned about that sunroof leak issue. It looks from posts here and elsewhere that there is a permanent fix for it? Or is it more like, they fix it and it recurs a year or whatever later? Don't car a ton about the sunroof. Use the one on the 4Runner occasionally, but could live without it. Active safety features would be nice to have. But mostly, that car is the same price as others with more than double the mileage.
    The wife has an AllTrack that we both love. It's an SEL with the pano roof. Hers leaks. Initially, under warranty, local techs removed some drainage hole mesh and that helped. Then it leaked again, it was basically because leaf duff, fir needles, and such pack up under the glass, blocking the drainage holes. It's a simple and quick job to check periodically and clean out. My wife's lives outside and we check the sunroof drains about once a month. Mainly, it's the forward two holes that you need to worry about.

10-4. That's not too bad. We're in the oak belt, so get leaves and junk from those, but not awful. Thanks!
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Bump.

The S model is coveted because it has no sunroof but still has all the basic features most people need.

Buy the sunroof and then put a wrap on it if it leaks or seal it up some other way.

Folllowing the forums the fix can be lengthy and may have to be repeated time and again.

I just had a new water pump/thermostat put on my 18 S manual under warranty with 48k due to the inevitable leak these all seem to have with the pump the installed at the factory. That is the only problem I've had.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    The S model is coveted because it has no sunroof but still has all the basic features most people need.

Buy the sunroof and then put a wrap on it if it leaks or seal it up some other way.

Folllowing the forums the fix can be lengthy and may have to be repeated time and again.

I just had a new water pump/thermostat put on my 18 S manual under warranty with 48k due to the inevitable leak these all seem to have with the pump the installed at the factory. That is the only problem I've had.
    The sunroof fix is to clean the drain holes regularly. It's easy. The gaskets don't leak, otherwise.

As for the t-stat and pump; what's the indicator that is about to fail? Just coolant leak? Anything else we should look for? Any chance VW updated this in later year cars? (so many questions)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    As for the t-stat and pump; what's the indicator that is about to fail? Just coolant leak? Anything else we should look for? Any chance VW updated this in later year cars? (so many questions)
    Yeah, this has my interest as well.

We've been very happy with our 19 SEL MT. It lives outside and so far no issues with the sunroof. I will have to pull the box that has been on for some late-summer trips to clean it out before winter. The SEL package really brings it on features. I can't imagine giving up the SEL lighting package or seats compared to our previous GSW SE.

This video should answer most of your questions.

Afaik all the Alltracks shipped with pumps that will leak. Have they updated the pump? I don't know. I hope so.

Mine needed the overflow topped up for a year or so and then recently it really started going down fast. Obvious smell.

Get a gallon of VW antifreeze so you have it handy. I let mine go until it would be undeniable at the dealer. And then had the partly used jug of antifreeze as further proof.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post

This video should answer most of your questions.

Afaik all the Alltracks shipped with pumps that will leak. Have they updated the pump? I don't know. I hope so.

Mine needed the overflow topped up for a year or so and then recently it really started going down fast. Obvious smell.

Get a gallon of VW antifreeze so you have it handy. I let mine go until it would be undeniable at the dealer. And then had the partly used jug of antifreeze as further proof.
    Damn ugly, you're prescient or something. I legitimately clicked TechTalk>>this thread while I was on hold with the local dealer to ask them about this coolant thing. Just started to show up on our 2017 SE with 40k.

Did you end up getting yours resolved by the dealer under warranty? And any suggestion on the best place to acquire a jug of the VW antifreeze reasonably? Our coolant light came on a few weeks ago when it started to get cold here; reservoir was sitting 2-3" low, no smells. Hasn't come back till this morning.

Some strange synchronicity here as well: Our 2017 SE 6sp replaced a 1996 Civic. Currently shopping for a 4Runner/GX to manage the growing family/adventures... I put a 2" hitch on ours when we first bought. Love the SE package (Fender stereo FTW), but would like to have the SEL lights, ideally. Sunroof is great during the summer and we like using it; ours lives outside year-round. We did have leakage a couple years back, but the dealer cleaned it out and no issues since. It's been a champ overall - very fun to drive, kills it in the winter with Blizzaks, no major maintenance issues thus far to 40k, and just enough space for a us and twin 2 year olds (but noticeably tight compared to a say a new Outback).

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    Some strange synchronicity here as well: Our 2017 SE 6sp replaced a 1996 Civic. Currently shopping for a 4Runner/GX to manage the growing family/adventures... I put a 2" hitch on ours when we first bought. Love the SE package (Fender stereo FTW), but would like to have the SEL lights, ideally. Sunroof is great during the summer and we like using it; ours lives outside year-round. We did have leakage a couple years back, but the dealer cleaned it out and no issues since. It's been a champ overall - very fun to drive, kills it in the winter with Blizzaks, no major maintenance issues thus far to 40k, and just enough space for a us and twin 2 year olds (but noticeably tight compared to a say a new Outback).
    Hah. Yeah man. I have twin 7YOs. 4Runner with the third row is a good size. There are times I wish it was even bigger, though, honestly. Tow capacity (Winnebago 1800BH) and payload will start to be an issue soon as the kids get bigger and/or we get bigger dog. I'd think about payload and tow capacity if you potentially see yourself towing a trailer. If not, then whatever. Long-run we'll probably ultimately end up with three cars--an AWD EV crossover thing with a set of dedicated snows, the 4Runner with the seven seats, and then a cheap, high-mileage beater pickup for camping and truck stuff. The EV just makes too much sense with the tax credits, solar on our roof at home, etc.

The Civic actually doesn't have a ton of mileage at 185k. But clearcoat is peeling from repair when she backed into a pole a few years ago, two decent dents in the front bumper and misalignment (4Runner hitch-shaped and one from when I got into a fender bender), peeling headliner and doorliner, etc. And there are so many fucking brodozers with with Punisher and TBL stickers around here in Caltucky that I'd like something with a bit more updated construction and safety features. Haven't had a payment since 2018 though, and I've been savoring the hell out of that. I'm also extremely glad I did not acquire a new vehicle pre-pandemic as I had been starting to want to, because that would've been like lighting cash on fire with it sitting in the driveway while I work from home.

Yeah dude. We’re definitely on the EV SUV game plan in 5years. The gas guzzler we’ll get soon enough just needs to last 20k and a few years.

Sold our civic with 186k to a Honda mechanic who was psyched on it.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Alpinevibes, the vw coolant is widely available at auto part stores. After 35k miles, the level in my 2017 dropped just below the min line so I picked up some coolant in a tiny town that had an auto parts store crammed next to a thrift shop.

I probably stated this earlier in one of these Alltrack threads, but another advantage of non sunroof version is moar headroom when you’re over 6 ft.

Alpinevibes I just had it changed a couple weeks ago and haven't driven it enough to know if the fix is in.

Also have a 4 Runner. Needs rear wheel bearings. My next fall project.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk