Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    It's the tire bouncing off the compressed snow in the tire wells as the suspension works . . . I was getting it last week in Seattle with a ton of wet snow packed in my wheelwells. Usually in the mountains and colder temps it's not a problem.

I also run 16 inch Hakka R3's . . .
    OK gotcha. I think we were confused by the ‘vibration’ term, since that normally refers to rotational vibrations, not clearance issues aka ‘rubbing’. I think this thread has discussed previously the 16” rims and snow tires many alltrack users run, but the OD of the tire and net clearance is the usually the same as stock (unless you downsize intentionally).

Since these wheel wells are already plastic covered, I’m not sure what to suggest. Silicone spray in the morning like I do in my snowblower chute? Audis etc all generally have modest wheel well clearance to improve aerodynamics and aesthetics.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    OK gotcha. I think we were confused by the ‘vibration’ term, since that normally refers to rotational vibrations, not clearance issues aka ‘rubbing’. I think this thread has discussed previously the 16” rims and snow tires many alltrack users run, but the OD of the tire and net clearance is the usually the same as stock (unless you downsize intentionally).
    I downsized intentionally and the speedometer is a bit optimistic, but there is more clearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Tele Iowa View Post
    Serious WTF question. Bought 2019 s based on recommendation from skiers here and on other sites. Replaced my awesome Volvo XC70 with 250k on it. But there is a problem. I live in Iowa so we don’t get near the snow that a lot of you get but if I get more than 3 inches of snow here, the wheel wells get completely packed in behind the wheels with snow. The whole damn car vibrates driving anything over 40 miles an hour. What are you guys doing for this problem. Are you running 16 inch snow tires? Are you using a pressure washer car wash every freaking day. This is driving me bonkers. The ice gets packed in there so good, it’s the size of a big book.
    We're running 16's with 215/60 R16 as well, but still get lots of ice pack up here. My wife drives it and most miles are on wet highway or soft/slush in town, with minimal melt while parked. It rubs a lot, but nothing too bad. I try to clear it with a few soft kicks, but it seems to work it's way out eventually. This is one of her biggest complaints about the car, but not a deal breaker.

Also: she got sideswiped on a hit-and-run while skiing two weeks ago. Goddamn $1500 out of our pocket, but car should look pretty nice when done. People suck.

I never have learned how to fix the snow packing problem. I had it w/ my Audi 100, A4, and all my BMW’s. Not the Allroad, though w/ the extra clearance. Garage (warmth), fixes it usually, but I smash at it w/ the snow scraper every time I stop for gas, etc. I was suggested PAM, but haven’t used it, and don’t want it on the brakes etc.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Now that I think about it, the regular golf uses a smaller wheel diameter so that could be why I don't have the issue.

You'd think the higher suspension would help but here we are.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    Now that I think about it, the regular golf uses a smaller wheel diameter so that could be why I don't have the issue.

You'd think the higher suspension would help but here we are.
    Yeah, I was curious when you said 15's. The 16's i got don't have much clearance against the brakes; I can't imagine a 15" fitting.

Uhhh...is the AllTrack dead? I assume I'm 18 months late on this news, but was just starting to do some more in-depth research. Sometime tell me I'm wrong. Please.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/v...ay%20that,Dead.

And if that's the case, what are people's next best recommendations? Currently in the beginning stages but it seems Outback, Forrester, Rav4, and (though more expensive) AWD Tesla might be other options...

Quote Originally Posted by fool View Post
    Uhhh...is the AllTrack dead? I assume I'm 18 months late on this news, but was just starting to do some more in-depth research. Sometime tell me I'm wrong. Please.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/v...ay%20that,Dead.
    You are not wrong. No one bought them except skiers, apparently. In my group of friends, pretty much everyone who was in the market for a car between 2017 and 2019 bought one, most with 6-speed manual transmissions.

You can still get a manual in a crosstrek and impreza but not next year. You should just look for a deal on a NOS 2019 Alltrack. It you want to spend Tesla money and can live with an automatic, look at the v60, v90 or e450.

You are not wrong. No one bought them except skiers, apparently. In my group of friends, pretty much everyone who was in the market for a car between 2017 and 2019 bought one, most with 6-speed manual transmissions.
    Pretty much

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9570.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	212.2 KB 
ID:	366293

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    Pretty much

Name:	IMG_9570.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	212.2 KB 
ID:	366293
    Mission? Mine was there last week.

Mission? Mine was there last week.
    nice, the conditions have been good. name of the game today is knowing where the lees are and being willing to walk a bit.

Uhhh...is the AllTrack dead?
    Every time VW sends me a survey, I make a point of telling them what an idiotic decision this was. I also tell them I would be first in line to buy a 2.0 liter Alltrack GT with GTI trim if they made it.

Sometimes this approach has an effect; I hounded Arc'teryx for 2 years about not making the Procline FL pant (including negative reviews on their website), and they're bringing it back next year.

I’m wearing procline pants, driving an alltrack. Is that good taste or am I a stereotype?

Add the Menace/Slicer 98 and Patagonia Nano-air Light Hoody (the best mid-layer Patagucci has made in years) to that list and I'm fully discontinued today.

Start a Facebook group. Something like? "Bring the VW Alltrack back but with 2.0"

Worked with Audi

https://www.facebook.com/BringTheAudiRS4AvantToAmerica

Or "We want a golf R wagon"

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...lf-mk-8-wagon/

Damn. Thanks, all.

Quote Originally Posted by Utagonian View Post
    You can still get a manual in a crosstrek and impreza but not next year. You should just look for a deal on a NOS 2019 Alltrack. It you want to spend Tesla money and can live with an automatic, look at the v60, v90 or e450.
    What does NOS mean, Utagonian? Something like still at a dealer but hasn't been sold? Any recs for figuring out how to find one?

It’s a performance upgrade.

Name:  Screen-Shot-2020-01-24-at-8.16.39-AM-copy1.png
Views: 737
Size:  285.5 KB

Damn. Thanks, all.

What does NOS mean, Utagonian? Something like still at a dealer but hasn't been sold? Any recs for figuring out how to find one?
    Yes, NOS= new old stock

I found one on cargurus but there is no shortage of sites.

Every time VW sends me a survey, I make a point of telling them what an idiotic decision this was. I also tell them I would be first in line to buy a 2.0 liter Alltrack GT with GTI trim if they made it.

Sometimes this approach has an effect; I hounded Arc'teryx for 2 years about not making the Procline FL pant (including negative reviews on their website), and they're bringing it back next year.
    Alltrack GTI has always been my dream, but I guess we just settle for APR Plus.

Quote Originally Posted by Utagonian View Post
    Hadn't seen this and kinda wish I hadn't now. Beautiful... love the slightly longer roof line. I'd give some hard time in the mines for a few inches of extra rear seat and trunk. I guess we gotta load up that Facebook group.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    I’m wearing procline pants, driving an alltrack. Is that good taste or am I a stereotype?
    Great taste, but undeniable stereotype.

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    Alltrack GTI has always been my dream . . .
    The enthusiast market is important. It sticks in my craw when some zero-imagination middle management asshole pulls the plug on/fails to green-light a really great product. Fast small wagons with 6-speeds don't sell? Bring fewer over (hey, just stick some VW badges on the Skoda Octavia RS wagon), but let the people eat cake!

I changed my oil for the 40k the other day. Also did the haldex fluid drain and fill. Bought a quart of VW haldex fluid, new drain plug, and a sweet magnetic full plug from ECS tuning for about $65. New fill pump off of Amazon for about $10. I have one but I use it for GL5, didn't want to cross contaminate.

I skipped the whole haldex pump removal/filter screen cleaning. VW doesn't mention it. I know there is a guy who had a plugged screen. The fluid came out looking really good and clean. Convinced myself that cleaning the screen would be more trouble than worth at this point after seeing the fluid and watching a few videos where cleaning the screen was basically a formality since they already looked perfectly clean to me.

Convince me I'm wrong.

I do think I'll buy new plugs every time I do this. The 5 mm hex plug on top took a lot of torque to remove. I wouldn't trust it beyond a couple changes.
    Last edited by uglymoney; 03-10-2021 at 09:21 AM.

Got our Alltrack back from the body shop after someone hit it and ran in town. Full inside/out detail is always amazing

Name:	Image1615599689.135356.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	212.5 KB 
ID:	367100

Sharp ride dood

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    Got our Alltrack back from the body shop after someone hit it and ran in town. Full inside/out detail is always amazing

Name:	Image1615599689.135356.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	212.5 KB 
ID:	367100
    Damn that looks good. I should wash mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Tele Iowa View Post
    Serious WTF question. Bought 2019 s based on recommendation from skiers here and on other sites. Replaced my awesome Volvo XC70 with 250k on it. But there is a problem. I live in Iowa so we don’t get near the snow that a lot of you get but if I get more than 3 inches of snow here, the wheel wells get completely packed in behind the wheels with snow. The whole damn car vibrates driving anything over 40 miles an hour. What are you guys doing for this problem. Are you running 16 inch snow tires? Are you using a pressure washer car wash every freaking day. This is driving me bonkers. The ice gets packed in there so good, it’s the size of a big book.
    Late to this... I’ve had similar issues with my allroad. Best fix I’ve found so far is fluid film. Spray some of that shit in your wheel wells after a wash, repeat as necessary.
    focus.