Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    This “full time” BS is just that. Our Golf w/ Haldex is seamless in its implementation. Yes, way more than slightly. I drive my mil’s Outback, my buddy’s golf wagon, and our Golf R among others I’ve rented and been in, and there’s no comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Almost $30k for a not-full-time-awd Golf. But hey, it handles better slightly better.
    My original claim was " you'll be hard pressed to find a better equipped BASE model, with a better warranty".

In my opinion, the base model handling is comparable, or better than the WRX.

Plus, they're steeply discounted for various reasons; some trivial, some not.

All that being the case, the answer to your question is yes my friend.

Sent from my XT1254 using Electromagnetic Waves and pigeons~

We have over 30K on our 2017. So far so good. In the snow, it is ome of the best cars I have ever owned.
    Click. Point. Chute.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    This was/is my experience coming from Subaru to German. Folks need to go drive one. You really have to give no fucks about any driving dynamics at all to pick a Subaru over a VW in any comparison test.

This was one of the main factors that led us to the Alltrack after three Subarus: enjoyable to drive and spend time in. The SE with the sunroof and stereo has made me happy.

We're at 7700mi after 9mo on our '17 6MT; no issues, still love it. I've been very tempted by the APR Plus and going from 170hp to 234hp and 199lb/ft to 273lb/ft WITH a warranty. Ridiculous for $999, but not really in the budget for now.

gregL - have you noticed any MPG differences since Stage 1? Did you upgrade the clutch bleeder block? https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...001284ecs01kt/

I installed the 2" hitch a few months ago for the RockyMounts Splitrail hitch rack. Took it in last month and got the tint done. Really dig the look with the tint; makes it a little more streamlined:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1634e.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	708.1 KB 
ID:	241952

Just got back from Yurp where we oggled Passat Alltracks, Passat R's and lovely TDI Golf Alltracks. Same as it ever was...
    Last edited by alpinevibes; 11-30-2018 at 07:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Scientist View Post
    gregL - have you noticed any MPG differences since Stage 1? Did you upgrade the clutch bleeder block? https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...001284ecs01kt/
    Hmmm. APR Stage 1 upgrade is $599 at Achtuning in Redmond. Almost worth a drive back to Seattle to have it done (takes about an hour) and ski a volcano or two?

I had the car chipped pretty much right away, so I can't really compare mileage, but my overall is hovering around 26mpg and freeway seems to be about 30 so far. The extra torque makes driving in 6th gear, even uphill, viable. No clutch upgrade yet.

Any thoughts on this cars cousin the sportwagen? Obviously sacrifice clearance and AWD, but can get a used 16-17 with 20k miles for $16-17k versus a outback with 60-90k miles in the same price range.

JD power says these are as reliable or better than an Outback.

Just found a head gasket leak on our 08 Outback at 180,000 miles so are looking for a replacement.

The ground clearance difference between the two is only an inch or so. Due to that, and tire profile, I think the sportwagen handling is tighter; the alltrack is still fun though. FWD, with the right winter tires, will easily keep up with any AWD in the snow, so I don't consider that a make or break issue.

Note: the alltrack rear defrost is a joke! That really pisses me off.

The 2016 and up outback is cavernous and way more SUVsh in ride and handling. They've come a long way since the 90s, but I still find them uncomfortable, and tin like. Having said that though, people love them, and I can see why. The subaru cvt works good for local driving, but it's noisy. The winter package system functions better than the base VW. Heated rear seats, and everything on a timer is cool. The ground clearance and snow tires makes them almost unstoppable in the snow. Subaru's pricing is up there; they're not cheap anymore.

In my opinion, if you're driving less than 30min regularly, with weekend adventures. A good deal on a newer outback would be perfect.
    If you're commuting, and care about ride, handling and VW engineering coolness. The sportwagen is awesome.
    Last edited by tango uniform; 07-22-2018 at 11:23 AM.

30 minutes or less, with weekend adventures = Subaru outback.

More than 30 commute, resort skiing, trail head parking lots = VW

Of course, this is just my opinion, based on my use. Everyone has their own criteria.

This would be grocery getter, commuter with kids. Outback has been fine and would be fine again, but the math doesn't seem to pencil.

Quote Originally Posted by char_ View Post
    This would be grocery getter, commuter with kids. Outback has been fine and would be fine again, but the math doesn't seem to pencil.
    There's always the math. It was a huge factor for me. My neighbor's folks were down sizing to one car, and selling a 2017 outback limited with 11k. They offered me first crack at it for trade-in value. The brand new 2017 alltrack S, with all current buying incentives was still 4k cheaper.

The math rides over all other criteria. That being the case, you won't be disappointed with the VW.

What motor is in the sport?wagen

Quote Originally Posted by tango uniform View Post
    What motor is in the sport?wagen
    Same motor as allttrack the 1.8 L turbo. Sport wagon does come in AWD version. It is gnd clearances and feature differences
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Arguably the Euro version of the small block Chevy; bullet proof.

I also like the 2.5 5 cyl.

Quote Originally Posted by tango uniform View Post
    There's always the math. It was a huge factor for me. My neighbor's folks were down sizing to one car, and selling a 2017 outback limited with 11k. They offered me first crack at it for trade-in value. The brand new 2017 alltrack S, with all current buying incentives was still 4k cheaper.

The math rides over all other criteria. That being the case, you won't be disappointed with the VW.
    We went to both VW and Subaru dealers on the last day of the month in Fall, right before new models arrived. We walked away with $5000 off the SE and 0% for 60mo, and an extended warranty from VW. Subaru threw no bones on an Outback and to get a similar spec list as the SEL would have been $4-5k more.
    Last edited by alpinevibes; 11-30-2018 at 07:26 AM.

Who's driving a VW AllTrack?

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Pretty sharp handling and decent performance straight off the lot, I did a Stage 1 APR upgrade on it for $599 and it's now about 25% faster. I don't think the bigger turbo is necessary for my driving.

. .
    What did this do to mpgs? What did it do to engine/exhaust noise? Why doesn’t VW just sell them stock with this performance enhancement?

Intrigued.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfelot View Post
    What did this do to mpgs? What did it do to engine/exhaust noise? Why doesn’t VW just sell them stock with this performance enhancement?
    Unless you drive faster all the time, I think the MPG stays about the same. Claimed stock MPG is 26/30 and that's pretty much what I'm getting now (did the chip upgrade @ 300 miles). Not sure why they don't just sell them this way in the first place, but my guess is emissions.

PS Engine/exhaust noise is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    This was/is my experience coming from Subaru to German. Folks need to go drive one. You really have to give no fucks about any driving dynamics at all to pick a Subaru over a VW in any comparison test.

Depends on the Subi. My Legacy GT while not nearly as smooth , was relatively comparable to the A4 I replaced it with . On the other hand, my wife's Crosstrek rides like the old rickety go cart/ truck hybrid that it basically is.

Now when talking interiors, the VAG group interiors are night and day better than the Subies.

Sent from my SM-G930V using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Scientist View Post
    Just got back from Yurp where we oggled Passat Alltracks, Passat R's and lovely TDI Golf Alltracks. Same as it ever was...
    When I moved on from my LGT, I wanted a Golf R Sportwagon so damn bad, since the reg Golf R was just too small and I loved test driving it. Can't have that here so how about the newer platform A4 Avant instead? Strike 2. Euros get all the cool wagons, we get stupid crossovers

Who's driving a VW AllTrack?

This may be a lame question because of ignorance having never owned a new or nearly new car, but how do peeps in the sticks deal mechanics for the VWs? There’s one known good shop for newer euro cars in my area, with another about 20 miles away, and the closest dealer being 50 miles away. For subi, Honda, and Toyota’s, there are many reputable mechanics in my area.

Quote Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
    Depends on the Subi. My Legacy GT while not nearly as smooth , was relatively comparable to the A4 I replaced it with . On the other hand, my wife's Crosstrek rides like the old rickety go cart/ truck hybrid that it basically is.

Now when talking interiors, the VAG group interiors are night and day better than the Subies.

Yeah, that’s prolly about right, but maybe you should be comparing the “GT” to the Audi “S” version to be comparable.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    This may be a lame question because of ignorance having never owned a new or nearly new car, but how do peeps in the sticks deal mechanics for the VWs? There’s one known good shop for newer euro cars in my area, with another about 20 miles away, and the closest dealer being 50 miles away. For subi, Honda, and Toyota’s, there are many reputable mechanics in my area.
    Rule #1 for VW owners: Buy the car, then run away from the dealer.

Find a good euro mechanic or get a VCDS and wrench on it yourself.
    Vw dealers are notoriously weak in the service department.

I'm on my second sportwagen in 3 years, love it. But I like to wrench on my shit so it's a match...

I prefer the vw for the nicer interior, sportier lines, waaaaay better engine - TDI, power and agility, long wheelbase.

VW warranties are great but when you get sketched just taking it in for maintenance or warranty work, it's worth less.

And I live in JH so the FWD with studded snows work plenty good. Pretty flat round here.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    . . . get a VCDS and wrench on it yourself.
    Yeah, the enthusiast Vag Com setup is worth having at $199, if just to program your door locks and delete error codes and such and see what the ECU says is the problem, even if you don't do the work yourself.

OBDEleven is a cheaper option with most of the functionality.

I changed the steering weight and throttle response on my Golf Wagon. It made a significant difference.

Changing the steering weight, and shifting points is a feature in the driving mode option on the alltrack. Or, are you guys talking about more advanced re-programing?