Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    I can sleep in the outback. Not sure about two.
    FWIW, our Gen 5 Outback sleeps jesski (5'4") and me (5'11") just fine.

My main complaint with the Outback is the lack of full-size spare. They could have made that stupid wheel well just slightly larger so it would fit. You could put it on a roof rack, but that reduces the gas mileage and you can't fit a ski box.

I mean, it'd also be nice if the approach angle was better, but that's nitpicky and I'm sure it would also reduce the gas mileage.
    Last edited by auvgeek; 09-23-2017 at 07:53 PM.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    My main complaint with the Outback is the lack of full-size spare. They could have made that stupid wheel well just slightly larger so it would fit. I mean, it'd also be nice if the approach angle was better, but I'm sure that would reduce the gas mileage.
    They changed that? Well that sucks. My '08 spare tire well accommodates a full size tire.

I thought mfgrs. always provided full sized wells so you can store a normal tire if you have to mount the space saver (I love that term).

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Huh? My 02 and probably the 16 will take a full size spare deflated with the tool kit foam taken out. Pack a 12 volt air pump. I haven't had a flat for a few hundred thousand miles though. Rockin' a donut.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    They changed that? Well that sucks. My '08 spare tire well accommodates a full size tire.

I thought mfgrs. always provided full sized wells so you can store a normal tire if you have to mount the space saver (I love that term).
    Yes, it does. Apparently, in Aussie-land, the wheel well is large enough but not here for us dumb Mericans.

Not sure if this is the real reason, but the sales rep told me it was because Subaru didn't trust the consumer to keep the spare within the tolerances of the other tires (~2/32) or keep it on for <50 miles. If you throw a brand new spare on with worn 3 tires, you will mess up the AWD.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    probably the 16 will take a full size spare deflated with the tool kit foam taken out.
    Pics or it didn't happen.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

My main complaint with the Outback is that roof rack, and they still haven't figured out that they're alienating so many customers with that thing. Why, oh why do they do that, especially since the other Subarus have good old rails. I have told more than one salesman that the rack is the only reason I don't drive an Outback anymore. Had two.

What is it? Since 2010 that they messed up the rack rails?

Taking "only" 9 model years to change the head gasket design, maybe the 2019 models will be roof rack/carrier friendly :-(

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

I find it interesting that you dont get the passat wagon in the us, just the limo version and have to take the golf, but you get the passat 8000$ cheaper than we do here. At least we have this:
    https://www.autoscout24.de/auto/vw/v...ssat-alltrack/
    For a lot of money though. Im running the passat 2005 4x4 with 270k km on it. Back then they called the all track features "bad road package"
    Had no issues so far except rust. Which is to be expected at that age and model version.

Sent from my SM-G930F using TGR Forums mobile app
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

The European VW Passat Alltrack would check all the boxes if they would bring it here. Spacious interior, bigger trunk, diesels with both stick and DSG.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    My main complaint with the Outback is that roof rack, and they still haven't figured out that they're alienating so many customers with that thing. Why, oh why do they do that, especially since the other Subarus have good old rails. I have told more than one salesman that the rack is the only reason I don't drive an Outback anymore. Had two.
    Are you taking about the built in crossbars? What is the issue with those? Ours seem fine.

As far as build my main complaint is how the hatch bumps into my rocket box (when it is on the rack) and does not open all the way. Happened w my '05 and happens w my '17

Are you taking about the built in crossbars? What is the issue with those? Ours seem fine.

As far as build my main complaint is how the hatch bumps into my rocket box (when it is on the rack) and does not open all the way. Happened w my '05 and happens w my '17

I dont trust those bars. Sorry, but, I ain't putting a box up there with four pair and a board inside, and a bike on the side. No way. And they're too narrow. I actually couldn't get the bike on the side of my box. I think the whole contraption is dumb, and so does Thule and Yakima, since they don't make any attachments. Why? Just put two solid rails up there, and I"ll take care of the rest.

While I would prefer just side rails, not a big deal to me. I always fitted crossbars to go rail to rail, not those ones that stick you in the eye, so no narrower than my old subie. Maybe an inch less. I've filled my rocket box w 5 pair of skis and gear packed tight and have had no problems at all. Just saying.

While I would prefer just side rails, not a big deal to me. I always fitted crossbars to go rail to rail, not those ones that stick you in the eye, so no narrower than my old subie. Maybe an inch less. I've filled my rocket box w 5 pair of skis and gear packed tight and have had no problems at all. Just saying.
    I've mounted Thule square bars to them and also direct-mounted the Yakima basket. No issues so far (knock on wood).

Who's driving a VW AllTrack?

Wife's 15 2.5l Forester cam gasket started leaking at 44k. Warranty but just barely. 8-10 hrs=$ I would have been quite unhappy to spend myself. So yeah, count me among the dubious on subaru quality
    Life of a repo man is always intense.

Who's driving a VW AllTrack?

My 2000 legacy wagon just had a check-up. 147k. Leaking HG for over 20k, still only oil coming through. Slow leak of the diff. Loud piston slap. the CEL on and off every few days for a misfire in cylinder 4 (likely solved by a valve adjustment). I'm pretty sure I'll need to smog the car next spring. Not sure how that'll work out. I'll definitely be deferring the 150k service.
    Last edited by bodywhomper; 09-26-2017 at 07:48 AM.

Leaks can come from other than the head gasket. No idea if mine would pass a smog check. MT doesn't require these things.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Leaks can come from other than the head gasket. No idea if mine would pass a smog check. MT doesn't require these things.
    I wonder if I can sell my CA-registered car in MT without having to get it smogged in CA. Anybody know?

Probably.
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    I wonder if I can sell my CA-registered car in MT without having to get it smogged in CA. Anybody know?
    Montana does not give a shit. They even let you sell your out-state salvage title car and give you a nice clean title.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Loving my Alltrack. 2017 S DSG. 16k miles. Beast in the snow with Nokian R2s.

No kids so back seat space isn't an issue. Someone asked about front seat room: the front seat can be moved back a ridiculous amount. I imagine someone north of 6'4" would be comfortable. People behind them... not so much.

The panorama sunroof is an ongoing issue. It can leak and the repair is time consuming. I didn't need any of the options above S trim so I went with it to avoid possible problems.
    "Just send it you pussy."

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Montana does not give a shit. They even let you sell your out-state salvage title car and give you a nice clean title.
    Thanks

Sent from my SPH-L710 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by BigHerm View Post
    Loving my Alltrack. 2017 S DSG. 16k miles. Beast in the snow with Nokian R2s.

No kids so back seat space isn't an issue. Someone asked about front seat room: the front seat can be moved back a ridiculous amount. I imagine someone north of 6'4" would be comfortable. People behind them... not so much.

The panorama sunroof is an ongoing issue. It can leak and the repair is time consuming. I didn't need any of the options above S trim so I went with it to avoid possible problems.
    We went with the S too. While I liked the Pano roof in out 10 JSW, we didn't use it that much, just too noisy. With the problems with the new one...I am glad we dodged a bullet.
    Click. Point. Chute.

FYI, VW just announced that all 2018 models will have a 6 year/72k mile bumper to bumper warranty.

Only in the US though.

A longwinded Mag's story about his new AllTrack...

Who/What: Wife and I, previously owning a 1996 Honda Civic w/ 190k and 2005 Outback 2.5i w/192k purchased a 2017 AllTrack SEL 6MT

When: this Saturday, 9/30/17 - we knew VW's 0% for 60 Months was running out 10/2 and 2017 stocks were dwindling. Oddly, we didn't realize that it was the last day of the month and they'd be quite hungry for a sale. The one sales guy was working on it hard and we ended up with a great price and the 0% deal.

Where: we drove to Glenwood Springs (45min from Aspen) to test drive a 2017 Outback and AllTrack at the dealerships. I'd done some looking regionally and in Seattle, but decided we wanted to buy local.

Why - Backstory: We're on our 3rd Outback and the head gaskets have leaked for 5-10k. We're not interested in investing in the car further and as-is it can survive around town, for my needs, being driven gently. The Civic has been with us for 10yrs, is an amazing, reliable and penny-cheap car, but it was time for me to have a bit more space/capability. The light weight + FWD made it a champ in the snow, but after years in Aspen, a few close calls in ditches and hills, it's not the car to keep gambling with.

Why the Alltrack?
    : Subaru's have treated us well enough for the last decade. Cheap (sorta), reliable (better than most), capable (for sure) and simple - you get what you pay for. However, the new Subarus are a changing mix. The 2015-18 Outbacks improved the styling, layout and visibility, that was ruined in the 2010-14 OB. That said, it's still a larger, bulkier car than we want/need. Outbacks are pretty pricey now, and to get any sort of options on them creeps you above $30k quickly.

I'd waited and lusted a bit on the AllTrack for a few years, first idolizing the TGR Fanboy TDI/4MO/6MT trifecta that was forever lost after Dieselgate. The Alltrack is the size we want (only slightly smaller than the 05-09 Outbacks) and way more nimble and fun to drive than a current Outback (6.9 vs 9.2 0-60). The ground clearance is enough for the time being (4Runner/Taco/Frontier for me in a few years) and the 1.8T with a 6speed blows the Outbacks out of the water. It's great to drive, plenty fast and engaging. After a decade of cheap, vague cars in our life, we decided that something a little more exciting was due and we were willing to face the potential costs/issues of a VW compared to the Subaru "reliability."

We'll see how it goes in the future!

Thus is kind of last minute; I'm picking my new alltrack in a couple hours. Do I need to buy an extended warranty, or what?

I've been a loyal vw/Audi owner since the 80s. My experience has been that since the early 2000s, they're generally problem free up to 90ksh. This said I have not looked into this models medical history.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    Any alltrack owners with some miles logged have an opinion on this?

The Mk7 has proven to be pretty reliable. But it's only been available since 2015 so there isn't a ton of info about how they age past 90k.