Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Thanks. That's what I concluded overnight after talking myself down off the ledge.

Car payments suck, and only when I lose confidence in a car's reliability for long trips, do I end up caving in and buying.

... Thom
    Get the turbo mls gaskets...or felpro mls. Something mls. Do timing belt and pulleys at same time. Spark plug tube gaskets and valve cover gaskets. Maybe waterpump to be safe.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Thanks, you're reading my mind. I suspected there might be heavy duty gaskets. Also assuming it's an opportunity to lap the valve seals as necessary.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

I own a outback and just turned in a Jetta sportwagon, which is close to the size as the all trek.

My Jetta had failing electronics, including the touch screen radio at 50k. Still great to drive but we took the 20k (it was a tdi)

Subie is much bigger and boxier. Higher off the ground and an inch or two higher roof line. VW is slimmer, sleeker exterior, and as a 6spd tdi way more fun to drive.

Can't comment on snow handling for the all trek. but I like my outback in the snow.

Interior finishings are similar. The basic trim VW might be a bit nicer than the basic trim subie.

I think they fixed the sun roof leak issue. At least they have with the Audi Q5

Thanks, you're reading my mind. I suspected there might be heavy duty gaskets. Also assuming it's an opportunity to lap the valve seals as necessary.

... Thom
    Do you have piston slap?

My head gasket has been leaking for over 20k miles.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Do you have piston slap?

My head gasket has been leaking for over 20k miles.
    No slap.

I was first advised of a minor leak about 6k miles ago. At some point this Winter, I'm gonna bite the bullet & do the job.

Otherwise, I won't feel comfortable talking a long trip & failure during a trip would suck & possibly mean more $$$ ... at least that's my understanding.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

No slap.

I was first advised of a minor leak about 6k miles ago. At some point this Winter, I'm gonna bite the bullet & do the job.

Otherwise, I won't feel comfortable talking a long trip & failure during a trip would suck & possibly mean more $$$ ... at least that's my understanding.

... Thom
    You probably do need them but verify the leak yourself. Just check the seams between the head and the block. Also add the Subaru head gasket conditioner. Just an FYI my local stealership likes to sell headgasket jobs to everybody that walks in the door even if they don't néed them.

The external leakers rarely leave anybody stranded but I am like you. I want my car to run on vacation because vacation is short.

My stealership waited 'till 120k. I went to an independent shop at 126k and they had the same short list of work, but you're of course right, I'll crawl underneath and take a look.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Doesn't Lexus and infinity make some sporty awd wagons?

What about matrix/vibe?

the VW is probably the only full sized wagon being discussed IMO. i'm leaning toward buying an outback and making it handle well next go around. at least, if the levorg doesn't make it here first. the wagon trend seems to be back on the uptick a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by shroom View Post
    the VW is probably the only full sized wagon being discussed IMO. i'm leaning toward buying an outback and making it handle well next go around. at least, if the levorg doesn't make it here first. the wagon trend seems to be back on the uptick a bit.
    Not full sized. Go check one out. So small. The Outback is way bigger and more useful in every way. It doesn't have a stick shift, drives mediocre, and has an annoying CVT. But it does have Eyesight and the FB motor seems to be a big improvement over the EJ. They are hardly in the same class except that they are wagons and we are starved for real wagons in this country. So many little SUV's like the aforementioned Equinox that have tiny hatches so they can get a sloped look that appeals to Joe Average but not Joe TGR Maggot that actually has gear to haul around.

That said for people with no long legged kids which means they probably have a manageable amount of gear to haul and those that weigh driveability more than practicality I think the VAG wagon is the clear choice.

I don't see many wagons/SUVs that can carry as much gear as the Outback without getting way too large for two people. Everything is tall and short. I haven't checked out the CX5 and the Tourareg however, but that's academic for me at this point ... something to consider next year, if/when we retire the '01 Legacy wagon.

There's another "advantage" for me of keeping the Outback. The other big item on my tick list is rear shocks. It's an opportunity/excuse to finally install a beefy rear anti-sway bar (3 more car payments if I add front shocks). I'm sick and tired of understeer.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Who's driving a VW AllTrack?

i have not sat in a new VW and don't doubt you. but yeah, my train of thought is the same as yours. a hatch ain't a wagon. i also think the outback is more an suv as it stands. in my mind, a wagon should handle well.

I used to drive a square back. 4 speed manual trannie. Leaked oil about the same as some discuss in the thread. It was yellow and super fun.

Quote Originally Posted by shroom View Post
    i have not sat in a new VW and don't doubt you. but yeah, my train of thought is the same as yours. a hatch ain't a wagon. i also think the outback is more an suv as it stands. in my mind, a wagon should handle well.
    The alltrek is more than a hatch. It is a small wagon. Same size as the sportwagons. The size of most wagons these days. They don't really make them like they used to. My Mercury Marquis was huge. Outback still feels more wagon than SUV. More long and low and short and tall.

CX-5 has much less cargo space than the outback. Overall shorter and taller. Still a nice car, and it drives decent. But nothing special. Different weaknesses than the outback. Handles better, but still does not feel zippy

What is the gripe with CVT. I've had no issues with it. It is not a stick, but is it worse than shifting automatics?

So how is front seat for people with tall torso and above 6'3"?
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Cargo space

2018 Equinox AWD Diesel 29 cf
    Alltrack 30 cf
    2000 to 2009 Outback 31.5 cf
    Mazda 5 Ford Escape 34 cf
    Prius V 34.4 cf
    2016+ Outback 35.5 cf
    2017 CRV 39 cf - wow!
    4 Runner 46 cf

I think going by the number itself is a little misleading. The size and shape and the opening makes a huge difference.

If you're checking out the cargo area of an Alltrack remember that the cargo floor can be lowered a good 4 inches.

The standards height gives you a flat floor with the seats lowered.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    I think going by the number itself is a little misleading. The size and shape and the opening makes a huge difference.
    Plus you listed numbers with the rear seats up not folded down. Important—especially if you have kids or routinely carpool to the hill/trailhead with more than two people—but matters less to some than volume with the seats folded. We keep the rear seats folded the vast majority of the time. The other thing that matters to us is whether we can sleep in the back (at trailheads, etc).

The new CRV looks quite good on paper: 8.2" of ground clearance, with more cargo room and better gas milage with more power than an Outback. That's a pretty big improvement over the 2016 CRV. No idea how the AWD works compared to Subaru's, which I find adequate but far from revolutionary.
    Last edited by auvgeek; 09-23-2017 at 12:15 PM. Reason: typos
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Yet another case where one can argue that length indeed does matter ;-)

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Those new crv numbers look quite nice. Clearance was an issue for us when shopping a year ago.

For us, volume of cargo space is worthless. Rarely if ever will we pack a car to the top. Maybe once or twice a year for a camping trip. Square footage is more important.

For what it is worth, when we looked in 16, I could not sleep in a CRV. Too much slope. Oddly, the HRV had a much cooler seat system and went completely flat. While too short to sleep straight I was able to fit on the diagonal. I can sleep in the outback. Not sure about two.

Hondas sure to run well.

Just as another VW data point, I was part of the emissions recall with a 2011 diesel Sportwagen. That was an extremely fun car to drive, especially great at cruising down the interstate, cornered very well and very smooth acceleration. We only had a little over 40,000 miles on it but no issues other than an O2 sensor and that was after they monkeyed with the first software fix before the emissions scandal hit.

We cashed it in, bought a brand new gas version, and pocketed $7,000 after the purchase so were pretty happy with that deal and supporting a dealership we like. The new model is a little lower trim level than the old one but still a nice car to drive and gets very good mpg. I have always worried about the electronic gremlins common to VW so hope we don't have a lot of issues on that front. We looked at the AllTrack, but given the extra cost and the fact that I have a full size 4x4 truck it didn't seem necessary. The new car does very well with Nokian studs as long as the snow doesn't get too heavy and deep for clearance.

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    Just as another VW data point, I was part of the emissions recall with a 2011 diesel Sportwagen. That was an extremely fun car to drive, especially great at cruising down the interstate, cornered very well and very smooth acceleration. We only had a little over 40,000 miles on it but no issues other than an O2 sensor and that was after they monkeyed with the first software fix before the emissions scandal hit.

We cashed it in, bought a brand new gas version, and pocketed $7,000 after the purchase so were pretty happy with that deal and supporting a dealership we like. The new model is a little lower trim level than the old one but still a nice car to drive and gets very good mpg. I have always worried about the electronic gremlins common to VW so hope we don't have a lot of issues on that front. We looked at the AllTrack, but given the extra cost and the fact that I have a full size 4x4 truck it didn't seem necessary. The new car does very well with Nokian studs as long as the snow doesn't get too heavy and deep for clearance.
    Wow, how could your have only 40K on a 2011? I bought my 2010 TDI in the spring of 2010 and we had 160K on it...and that included 6 months at the end when it was parked waiting to be returned.
    Click. Point. Chute.

Quote Originally Posted by Flexon Phil View Post
    Wow, how could your have only 40K on a 2011? I bought my 2010 TDI in the spring of 2010 and we had 160K on it...and that included 6 months at the end when it was parked waiting to be returned.
    Lolz. I agree! 2012 V with 114k.

My wife and I walk/bike to work the majority of days (although she's better than me about that these days) and most of our longer trips were in our Tundra for field work. We also only drove it a limited amount once the emissions deal hit for fear we might total the thing before the buyback. That being said, we only have 8K on our new one that we have had for about a year.

My 2011 we turned in with about 60k. Odometer was offline for a few months but I assume that is the correct mileage. No more than 70. My uses it to commute mostly. She car pools. And a few 1500 mi road trips.

We also have a 3rd vehicle. A 97 Tacoma w 355k on it. I use it for most things in town. Keeps mileage down on the prettier cars.